Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#8427005 - 11/02/15 10:00 PM Do you shoot "loose"?
tylerdurden Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Shyea, like I'm telling you
Meaning with extra room to crop? Seems to me the biggest issue I have with most lenses is some smearing in the extreme borders and, given the crazy resolution of cameras these days, which not shoot a bit wider or move back with the intention of cropping in? I've cropped my 7R down to 20MP and still been plenty happy with the sharpness/resolution.

I'm looking at replacing my Canon 16-35 IS with the native Sony 16-35 OSS and the only thing holding me back is the extreme borders, especially at either extreme, but I wonder if I should just shoot a little differently so I don't have to pack two extra primes to cover the range and change lenses constantly. I'm still contemplating getting a 15 and a 35 instead just based on the optical quality. GAS has me pretty hard ATM.

Visit Sponsors! Help CSi !
#8427043 - 11/02/15 10:38 PM Re: Do you shoot "loose"? [Re: tylerdurden]
skierd Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
That's how I was taught to shoot in high school, since the aspect ratio of 35mm film is 3:2 and we were making 8x10 prints (5:4) so you lose an inch plus on each side with a print centered on the frame.

A 20mp crop still gets you a high dpi 16x20 print. Is that enough for what you're shooting?

As far as lenses, which is the better lens, the canon or the sony? Is the 15 significantly better than either? Do find yourself at one extreme or the other mostly or in the middle range all the time?

#8427049 - 11/02/15 10:51 PM Re: Do you shoot "loose"? [Re: skierd]
tylerdurden Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Shyea, like I'm telling you
The Canon is a smidge better on balance, but the Sony is smaller and lighter (and when the adapter is taken into consideration, it's *much* shorter) and retains all the focus functions of the body which the Canon does not. AF works, but poorly, with the adapter. The 15 trounces them both optically, and not by a little, and it's a tiny thing too. MF only on the 15, but that's the kind of lens you can just set it at the hyperfocal distance and not even worry about it. The 35 prime barely sticks out past the grip. Not sure if I care more about size/weight or convenience, I guess.

I went through LR this weekend and looked at the focal lengths I shot the most in that range, and it was 16 and 24 pretty evenly split, followed by 20 and then 35.

#8427052 - 11/02/15 10:54 PM Re: Do you shoot "loose"? [Re: tylerdurden]
S0reye Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Seattle, WA
I do in a lot of cases since I switched to a 36MP. And why not? You can always crop but you can never add to the frame.

#8427073 - 11/02/15 11:40 PM Re: Do you shoot "loose"? [Re: tylerdurden]
Kierf Online   bluecheckmark
The Right Honorable The Lord Mayor Kierf, First Death Notifier Of ClubSi
Post Master Supreme

Fuck no. 10megapickles, I gotta make it all count!

#8428117 - 11/03/15 05:09 PM Re: Do you shoot "loose"? [Re: Kierf]
tenplanescrashing
Unregistered

Always. Because of different print ratios, i'll always shoot with this in mind.
#8428525 - 11/03/15 09:10 PM Re: Do you shoot "loose"? [Re: ]
scootergeek Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: East of St. Louis
I try to be pretty precise when shooting, but sometimes you can tell that's it's gonna have to be cropped. Like Kierf, I don't have a plethora of megapickles to play with (12 in my case).

#8428557 - 11/03/15 09:51 PM Re: Do you shoot "loose"? [Re: scootergeek]
trench301 Offline
Post Master

Lots of labs are recognizing the 2:3 ratio and offering prints in those sizes, which can be matted to fit a standard frame. I sell 8x12 prints matted to 11x14 frames and 12x18's matted to 16x20 frames.

I try not to shoot too loose if I can help it. I started with a rebel xt (8mp) so cropping anything off of that was just awful. My 6d and 5d3 (20 and 22mp) allow me to crop comfortably, but the old habit has stuck, so if I crop now, its more for composition. Better to use a longer lens and get more pixels on target.

#8428742 - 11/04/15 07:47 AM Re: Do you shoot "loose"? [Re: S0reye]
Duc Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: MD
 Originally Posted By: S0reye
You can always crop but you can never add to the frame.

..you can NEVER out train a bad diet -- FitExcellence

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  jsmonet, x, 2000SiRacer, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads