Page 6 of 7 « First<34567>
Topic Options
#8372381 - 09/20/15 08:13 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Nor Cal, Hella hurr durr
Enlarged heart? Pericarditis??

#8379846 - 09/27/15 06:28 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: stickaz_old]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Loc: Gehenna
Another long week of running. Except it is still nothing compared to some of you guys. \:\)

Week 36 of training was scheduled for 50 and did 47.2. I've been getting really good at cutting runs short lately, and almost skipped my 5 miles today but fit it in late morning.

Monday: Off

Tuesday: 7 miles [HILLS: Treadmill. Keep HR 145-150. Easy jog 2 miles. Then powerhike, increasing grade 1% starting at 8% for the next 5 miles.]

- Only did 6.6 miles. I hate treadmills and I ran the first 2 miles at 6mph, then dropped it to 3.5mph, 8% incline and did as prescribed. I ended it early because the podcast I was listening to ended and was like fuck it, done!

Wednesday: Off

Thursday: 8 miles [RECOVERY: Aerobic base training. Keep HR 145-150. Powerhike every other mile hard. ]

- Before you make fun of me for "powerhiking" on a flat road in FL, that's my only option, lol. So this run went well, pretty much every mile ran was 9:20-9:25 and every walking mile was 14:21-14:32. Liked the timing and felt good each mile after walking.

Friday: Off

Saturday: 30 miles [LONG: Aerobic base training. Keep HR 145-150]

- Only did 27.5 miles on this one, but, hey, its still a training run longer than a marathon! This was also split up. I got up at 3am and ran 8 miles at home, then went and met some people to run 15 miles with (actually hit 16 miles) went home and did another 3.5 miles to total 27.5. When I got back home and started running my legs got much more sore, was alternating running and walking (had ran all of it before this) and I started getting some pretty bad chafing in areas I don't normally put Body Glide on and went back home. I could have tried to lube up and go back out, but the chafing was really bad and my legs were really sore, decided to just be done. It was just about exactly at 5 hours total time, so figured that's pretty darn good.

Sunday: 5 miles [LONG: Aerobic base training. Keep HR 145-150]

- First got up and my left calf was real sore, thinking I'd skip it, but a few hours later felt ok so got it in before football. Was a decent run ultimately. I used a new pair of Altra Instinct's (my 4th) and I also got a new pair of shorts I like, Nike Phenom 2-in-1. They are a large and a tad big, so ordered a medium online to try out.

So, there you go. Just a quick update. Nothing special happened this week really. Got in a good amount of miles and we'll see how next week goes!

#8388149 - 10/04/15 08:11 AM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

This past week was my first full mileage week in 4 weeks, so really happy about that, got my longest training run ever in and looking forward to Javelina.

So, week 37 was scheduled 51 miles and I ran 51 miles.

Tuesday: 5 miles [HILLS: Warm up and then 12 - 15 x uphill hard effort 1 minute with equal time recovery in between. Remaining time easy effort. ]

- I did 13 repeats with a total of 5 miles, I really didn't feel like my legs had a lot of power in them today to try to get up the hill strong, but still did it.

Wednesday: Off

Thursday: 6 miles [RECOVERY: Aerobic base training. Keep HR 145-150. Powerhike every other mile hard. ]

- This was a nice run, the power hike on flat roads in Florida is funny, but doing it helps a lot to get the 6 miles in. Alternate running and walking makes my legs move different and makes you get used to that feeling of changing speeds.

Saturday: 40 miles [LONG: Aerobic base training. Keep HR 145-150]

- If anyone wants to see this run: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/916911176

I actually ran this starting at 5pm on Friday until about 1:30am on Saturday. Total time was 8:20, my "moving time" from my watch was 8:01. Was really happy with this. I went out from my place and ran over to Siesta Key, ran 11 miles and stopped at a 7-11 for water and coke, then ran more and came back to the same 7-11 at 19 miles for more water and coke. From there I ran back home, stopped at home at 25 miles. From there I did 3 neighborhood laps of 5 miles each.

Comparing this run to my longest training run for Keys, it was almost identical timing, that was all night and 35 miles. I made it 5 miles further with worse early weather. Really happy about that. Comparing it to my Keys run itself I was at 10:34 for 40 miles, so over 2 hours ahead there as well. This seems excessive as I was going much slower at Keys in the heat and trying to preserve, just noting it.

I didn't have many issues during this run. My stomach was fine, while my legs got sore I just tried to keep going through it. I did have some running miles that were in the 13 minute range. However, those miles were still running and moving as well as I could at the time. I ran a vast majority of this one, probably 90%+. I then finished strong and ran a 10:22 final mile, which was my 6th fastest mile over, the first 4 miles, then a random faster mile and this one. I do realize that's far from fast, but doing it after 39 miles is nice, lol.

Sunday: Off

- Did have a run scheduled originally but Liza took it off, thought about doing something anyway, but right now I am getting DOMS like crazy in the morning so yeah might not be doing any, lol.

So now we are in race month. It will only get here sooner rather than later. This 40 miler made me really confident about the race and feeling better. For 40 miles I was on a 21 hour pace of 100 miles. So I'll finish JJ in 21 hours, right? Haha. But seriously, it certainly made me feel like I have a chance of doing it. Glad to have my longest training run done. This is also my 2nd longest run ever, only my Keys 53 miles is longer, and this one was much more of a "run" than that was, lol. Coming up are 55 and 50 mile weeks so hopefully they go well then a taper to the race!

#8388820 - 10/04/15 09:29 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
Nice job man! That's a solid run to get you ready for Arizona!

#8397705 - 10/11/15 07:44 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Week 38 update, planned 55 miles and ran 53, pretty close to doing them all but I'll explain.

Tuesday: 5 miles [RECOVERY: Aerobic base training. Keep HR 145-150. Powerhike every other mile hard.]

- The running parts of this my left shin got really sore and during the powerhiking parts it was still kind of sore. Had call with Liza afterwards and she said to go easy with it if needed the rest of the week, no need to get injured just a few weeks out from the race!

Wednesday: 7 miles [RECOVERY: Aerobic base training. Keep HR 145-150. Powerhike every other mile hard.]

- I only did 5 miles of this, because of my left shin getting really sore again, didn't want to take any chances.

Thursday: 3 miles [RECOVERY: Aerobic base training. Keep HR 145-150. Powerhike every other mile hard.]

- This was easy and my left shin was feeling pretty normal now.

Saturday: 25 miles [RECOVERY: Aerobic base training. Keep HR 145-150.]

- This was going to include some speed work on hills but we took it out with my shin issues, instead just 25 grueling miles lol. 5 hours total and 4:45 moving time, was really happy with this as part of it was during hot hours here in Florida.

Sunday: 15 miles [RECOVERY: Aerobic base training. Keep HR 145-150. Powerhike every other mile hard.]

- This was kind of rough because I got some really bad chafing on my sides from my shirt yesterday, not entirely sure why since I've never had that happen before. But so I got in 5 miles and it was bad so I went in the garage and finished the last 10 miles on the treadmill with my shirt off. Literally first run ever without a shirt, lol.

So, yeah, another week done. Just cut one run short to make sure I wasn't getting any kind of injury. Next week is another 50 mile week then hopefully a taper week and then it will be race week! 38 weeks of training so far, which is crazy it is so close finally.

#8397781 - 10/11/15 09:32 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Y u no run w/o shirt?

#8398011 - 10/12/15 08:34 AM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: stickaz_old]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Because I'm not some 6pack abs guy and I find it to be incredibly douchey to do. I'd much rather run with a shirt and find no reason to run without one, unless you're a tool.
#8398017 - 10/12/15 08:40 AM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Colorado
 Originally Posted By: Lividentity
- This was kind of rough because I got some really bad chafing on my sides from my shirt yesterday, not entirely sure why since I've never had that happen before. But so I got in 5 miles and it was bad so I went in the garage and finished the last 10 miles on the treadmill with my shirt off. Literally first run ever without a shirt, lol.

Because I'm not some 6pack abs guy and I find it to be incredibly douchey to do. I'd much rather run with a shirt and find no reason to run without one, unless you're a tool.

#8398089 - 10/12/15 09:43 AM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: 2000SiRacer]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Yeah that's happened to me one time out of hundreds of runs over a few thousand miles. It is just my opinion of guys who go out running around with shirts that they're tools.
#8398115 - 10/12/15 09:56 AM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Colorado
It is just my opinion of guys who go out running around with shirts that they're tools.

You're ridiculous

#8398258 - 10/12/15 11:33 AM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: 2000SiRacer]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Sorry for having an opinion.
#8398410 - 10/12/15 12:26 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

also nice mileage, good job /homo

and good luck at Javelina

#8398458 - 10/12/15 12:48 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: stickaz_old]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Lol thanks. Yeah the race is gonna be here too quick. I'm hoping to finish like 6 hours behind Ironmom, lol. Maybe I'll have 100k done by the time he finishes!
#8398461 - 10/12/15 12:51 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

if you at some point want to take your shirt off during it, it's ok man \:D

#8398466 - 10/12/15 12:53 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: stickaz_old]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Lol, if I get chafing that bad maybe. I might just put some bodyglide on there beforehand. I actually have little scabs it got that bad lol.
#8399107 - 10/12/15 05:14 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

I haven't worn a shirt on a run in months...hell I even let my dad bod freak flag fly in my last race. I do what's comfortable and don't give a damn what anybody thinks about it. I take that back....if my wife told me to put a shirt on, I probably would.

#8399110 - 10/12/15 05:17 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Oh and nice week of training...you ran a few more miles than I did. One last attempt at a big week then it's time to ease off a bit.

#8399176 - 10/12/15 06:09 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

More miles than you? Man you crushed September so bad I think I did 100 less than you that month, so having more once is ok, haha. Remember almost 100% of my miles are flat Florida roads too. I've got 50 lined up for this week but haven't filled out the last 2 weeks yet though. Hopefully like 20 and 5 the last 2 weeks, lol. Already have 99 miles this month, so with the race looking at over 250 which is insane for me, I've hit 200 miles once, and that was mostly because the way the weeks lined up, easier to hit 200 when the first 2 days you do 40 miles lol.
#8399505 - 10/12/15 11:16 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Yeah, I had a good m-f with 50 miles, but then it was a busy weekend with my FIL's funeral so taking off for a couple several hour runs wouldn't have worked out. Oh well...the hay is in the barn at this point...I'm benefiting more from the nasty 100+ degree heat wave than running at this point.

I have been trying to focus on course specific runs though...mostly flat/rolling gravel/sandy fire roads with zero shade.

Edited by Mrs. Ironmom (10/12/15 11:17 PM)

#8399567 - 10/13/15 06:32 AM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Oh nice. How you liking that heat? We get that for months at a time here, sucks, lol.
#8400048 - 10/13/15 12:37 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

It sucks, but I recognize it as a valuable training tool so I'm okay with it. \:D

Guess I gotta start getting gear together and get the tent trailer in traveling shape!

#8400205 - 10/13/15 01:48 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Lol I just have to fly and rent a minivan. Just staying in that, I feel bad for my bro who will just be doing nothing and sleeping in a minivan, lol.

I printed out some sweet note cards of pacing times. I then laminated them and put them on a key ring so I can reference their times each lap to see how I'm doing. \:\)

#8400211 - 10/13/15 01:51 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

why not use local SjPotatoe/ creepy stalker

he's also fast as fuck and could pace any of you fucks [including ironmom] \:D

#8400314 - 10/13/15 02:51 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: stickaz_old]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

I'm not going to have a pacer at all. We'll see how that goes, would be nice to have one but I don't really know any runners to go fly to AZ to run more than a marathon for no reason, lol.
#8400344 - 10/13/15 03:10 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

could out-n-back 3-5 miles at a time right? [4 laps? /stalker]

#8400524 - 10/13/15 05:05 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: stickaz_old]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Well the course is 15.3 mile loops, with a 10 or so mile final loop. But yeah you could I guess have a pacer for like 2-3 miles then they go back, I assume they'd allow that, not sure if the pacer "has" to stay with the runner. 15.3 miles is hardly longer than a half-marathon, and in the late stages of the race, 70+ miles many people aren't exactly going that fast, you're talking 3-5 hours per 15.3 mile lap.
#8400532 - 10/13/15 05:12 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

he's a 1:2x.xx half marathoner fwiw IIRC, appears to yog easily in the 8:xx range

#8400541 - 10/13/15 05:20 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: stickaz_old]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Yeah, no pacer here either except for maybe my wife on the last loop if she feels comfortable leaving the kids alone in the tent trailer for a couple hours.

My dad parents were going to come out but my dad signed up for Ironman Cozumel so he can't take the added days off from work.

#8400663 - 10/13/15 06:51 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Yeah that's fast, much faster than I am right now, I feel like I'm much slower now than when I was training for half marathons, but that's no surprise, lots of long slow miles now.

Well Ironmom you can just slow down and run with me. :P My dream would be going sub-24, but my realistic goal is 26-28 hour range. Then again we'll see what happens because you never know, 100 miles is a long way.

#8405812 - 10/17/15 10:52 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
chef Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: The OC
Ah man I want to go now after reading a few pages of this. It's fun watching other people hurt.
Order my photo prints (New files uploaded)

#8405835 - 10/17/15 11:12 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: chef]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: chef
Ah man I want to go now after reading a few pages of this. It's fun watching other people hurt.

Do it! You can hang with Lisa and the kids and get some sweet shots! Ride the moto out!

#8405941 - 10/18/15 06:42 AM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Lol, so you're a sadist? :P I'm pretty sure Javelina is a big party for all the people not running. I think my Brother will do a lot of hanging out at the headquarters, should be fun and plenty of people to talk to and such.
#8406068 - 10/18/15 11:07 AM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Figured I'd put up my weekly update before football starts! \:\)

Week 39:

Tuesday: 5 miles [RECOVERY: Aerobic base training. Keep HR 145-150.]

- Had issues on this run, both of my shins hurt so bad I had to walk a half mile in. Ended up doing 3 miles of half mile run and half mile walk, then the last 2 miles I ran. I had issues with my left shin last week after the 40 mile run, and looks like it continued this week after my 25/15 over the weekend.

Wednesday: 6 miles [SPEED: Warm-up 20-30 minutes. Then Lactate Threshold Heart Rate test.]

- I did the 6 miles, but did it as a normal run, because my left shin was giving me troubles again. I walk for a half mile after the first mile and was able to run the rest, though not as fast as the test would have been.

Had a Skype call with coach and she said let's just lower the mileage down and get the legs right, instead of worrying about 1 more high mileage weekend just to do it. At this point I'm as fit as I'm going to get.

Thursday: Off [Was scheduled 4 miles but took it out]

Saturday: 4 miles [RECOVERY: Aerobic base training. Keep HR 145-150.]

- 33:14 time, every mile was in the 8's. Weather was good and the run felt great! Legs had no issues which rocked!

Sunday: Off

So this week went from like 54 to 15. Which is odd but I agree I want to be healthy more than having more mileage at this point. It felt extremely odd to only run 4 miles on Saturday instead of having 5 hours of my day taken up with running, lol. Same as today! Get up and do whatever without a multi-hour run, weird, lol.

So now I'm feeling good and I have 24 miles setup for next week, 7 miles the week of the race, and then this huge 100 mile nonstop run at the end of training for some reason. That must be a mistake. ;\)

#8406693 - 10/18/15 11:54 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Way to play it smart man. This race is going to be so much fun. Yeah, it's gonna suck too (lots of times I'm sure) but I'm really looking forward to getting out to that desert.

#8406776 - 10/19/15 08:18 AM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Yeah I'm pretty psyched for it now. Feeling really good and really feel like I can finish! I'm thinking you might be past me within the first mile though. :P
Page 6 of 7 « First<34567>

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads