Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#8311120 - 07/30/15 12:44 PM New laptop suggestions
skierd Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
It's beyond time to upgrade my nearly decade old dell vostro 15 inch laptop. I've got a max of about $1500 to spend, don't care if it's Apple or windows, and want to be fairly future proof so I don't have to rebuy it in two to three years. I'm asking here because the most use it's going to see outside of web browsing and storing music is running Lightroom6.

So far I am thinking I should either just pony up for a MacBook Pro or get an Alienware 17 inch (I've always had good luck with Dells) or something similar. help?

Visit Sponsors! Help CSi !
#8311294 - 07/30/15 02:02 PM Re: New laptop suggestions [Re: skierd]
ewraven Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Dept. of Ruminant Procurement
This may not help much. But I'll try. I have a 1.5 year old Intel i7 17" HP Envy 1080p laptop. It was a 1000 dollar laptop, but I got it on sale at Best Buy for $879.

For upgrades, I swapped out the 1tb hard drive with a 1tb Samsung 840 EVO drive. I also found when I opened the case, that it has the space and plug to add a second drive internally(just have to buy a second drive caddy).

A few weeks ago, I pulled out the 8gb of RAM and put in 16gb of RAM.

It runs Lightroom with no problem at all, really seems to speed through it, even with a few gigabytes of RAW images opened at once. This thing runs circles around my desktop that it replaced, the desktop had 8gb of RAM, but it only had a AMD six core processor running a little slower clock speed than this one.

Other than being a 1080p screen, I'm not sure about the screen quality, I've never attempted to calibrate it. The video card probably leaves some to be desired compared to an Alienware, it is an "Intel HD Graphics 4600"

Only other thing I'll mention, is to consider a Squaretrade warranty for it and add it to your homeowners insurance for theft protection when out and about.

#8311481 - 07/30/15 03:14 PM Re: New laptop suggestions [Re: ewraven]
chef Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: The OC
Apple hardware seems to hold up well over the long run. I'm using a ~4 year old 17", it's still solid as the day it showed up. I have a 13" for travel as well, and it works fine, but I'd prefer the additional horsepower and standalone gpu that the 15" has. You can't upgrade the storage on the macbook's now, with soldered in ssd's, so plan ahead. If you want to store music, you'll want to upgrade. 16gb of ram should be standard for anyone doing anything beyond web browsing these days. Makes life better. No matter what you end up with though, get an ssd drive.

Edited by chef (07/30/15 03:14 PM)
Order my photo prints (New files uploaded)

#8311771 - 07/30/15 06:26 PM Re: New laptop suggestions [Re: chef]
tenplanescrashing
Unregistered

I'm a mac guy, so i'm going to recommend a mac. But this is all up to you and what you feel like you want/need. No one else can tell you that.
#8313086 - 07/31/15 07:03 PM Re: New laptop suggestions [Re: ]
chef Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: The OC
Word. I prefer the Mac OS. So many people don't "get" that part of the equation. Hardware comparisons are rarely truly apples to apples, but the OS is a wholly personal choice that has a huge factor in my decision.
Order my photo prints (New files uploaded)

#8313181 - 07/31/15 09:30 PM Re: New laptop suggestions [Re: chef]
Kierf Offline
The Right Honorable The Lord Mayor Kierf, First Death Notifier Of ClubSi
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: chef
Word. I prefer the Mac OS. So many people don't "get" that part of the equation. Hardware comparisons are rarely truly apples to apples, but the OS is a wholly personal choice that has a huge factor in my decision.
Yup, the OS makes it. I won't be going back to Windows anytime soon after getting my first Mac 2 years ago.

#8337878 - 08/23/15 09:07 PM Re: New laptop suggestions [Re: Kierf]
skierd Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
Placed an order tonight for a Dell Inspiron 7000 series 15" with the 4k (3840x2160) screen, 8gb ram (upgradable to 16gb), 4gb AMD video card, i7 processor. Hopefully this one will last me for another decade. The screen is supposed to cover 93+% of sRGB, and on paper has plenty of horsepower for the future.

I wanted a MacBook Pro, I like the MacMini I'm using currently well enough, but I couldn't justify spending $1500 more than the Dell. OSx or Windows really doesn't bother me one way or another, I really don't notice it once Lightroom is up and running.

#8346263 - 08/29/15 05:14 AM Re: New laptop suggestions [Re: skierd]
esan Offline

ASUS ROG GL551JW-DS71
15.6-Inch
1920×1080
i7-4720HQ 2.60GHz
1TB 7200 RPM
16 GB DDR3
GeForce GT 960M 2GB DDR5
Windows 8

#8346264 - 08/29/15 05:15 AM Re: New laptop suggestions [Re: esan]
esan Offline

http://gaminglaptopunder1000.org/gaming-laptops-under-1000/
Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  jsmonet, x, 2000SiRacer, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads