Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#8295885 - 07/19/15 11:18 AM experimenting and growth
Duc Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: MD
at a race that I was photographing yesterday, these shots were taken at f5.6, speeds between 1/500 and 1/640, and with the iso at 200 for one and 400 for the other.

is shooting at a speed of 1/800 or 1/1000 recommended? also, would it be better to shoot at an aperture rate of 11 to 13?

_MG_0495 by Ty June, on Flickr

_MG_0579 by Ty June, on Flickr

..you can NEVER out train a bad diet -- FitExcellence

Visit Sponsors! Help CSi !
#8295980 - 07/19/15 01:47 PM Re: experimenting and growth [Re: Duc]
Senor Eduardo_82 Offline
miataist
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ca�ada
If you shot those at f/11 or f/13 at 1/1000 or 1/800 they will be dark.
#8296016 - 07/19/15 02:21 PM Re: experimenting and growth [Re: Senor Eduardo_82]
Duc Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: eddie _69
If you shot those at f/11 or f/13 at 1/1000 or 1/800 they will be dark.

forgot to add the part about increasing the ISO level

#8296040 - 07/19/15 02:37 PM Re: experimenting and growth [Re: Duc]
Huggy Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
Why? If you can't answer that, then there is no help from us.

Why do you want to shoot it at F/11 or F/13? Why would you want to shoot it at 1/1000 or 1/800? I mean I have my reasons as to why I'd want to shoot those, but why do you want to? Better yet, next event, shoot some at those settings and see what you get...

You're taking photos of moving vehicles through some interesting terrain. Do you want to show motion? Do you want to show terrain? It's your photo, you should be showing us something with it and know why you are showing it.

Both of your photos are good, but don't blow me away. The first one I think I want to see more motion as it looks like the buggy is falling over, not along the path.

The second one looks like some sort of parts company ad photo without the text. Tons of wasted space that is empty green.

That's my take.

#8296076 - 07/19/15 03:21 PM Re: experimenting and growth [Re: Huggy]
Duc Offline
Post Master Supreme

what i want to bring is more detail into the picture. for instance this picture from larry Chen. the cars are the primary, the tire smoke is the secondary, and the track and everything else is the details

I've seen where some people just shoot the cars taking up the whole area of the photo and it does nothing to make the viewer feel engaged with the photo like the photos above. the photos above tell a story. that's what I aim for in my photos

the trees and greenery in the second picture, along with the mountain backdrop give the viewer a sense of east coast style off road racing as to where a west coast off road entusiast only knows about the wide vast opening of the desert or large boulders

Edited by Duc (07/19/15 09:24 PM)

#8296160 - 07/19/15 04:52 PM Re: experimenting and growth [Re: Duc]
2000CheetahStud Offline
Post Master Supreme

Out of curiosity, what speeds are the trucks moving in the above pictures?

photobucket.jpg

#8296203 - 07/19/15 05:48 PM Re: experimenting and growth [Re: Duc]
Huggy Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Duc
what i want to bring is more detail into the picture. for instance this picture from larry Chen. the cars are the primary, the tire smoke is the secondary, and the track and everything else is the details

WTF are you talking about? What picture from Larry Chen?

#8296372 - 07/19/15 09:24 PM Re: experimenting and growth [Re: Huggy]
Duc Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Murder

#8296375 - 07/19/15 09:27 PM Re: experimenting and growth [Re: 2000CheetahStud]
Duc Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: 2000CivicStud
Out of curiosity, what speeds are the trucks moving in the above pictures?

first pic, probably 25-30 because it was coming from a high speed area and cresting a hill which brought it down entering a rocky tight area of the woods

the second picture ...maybe 40-50 since it had just made a right going downhill before entering into a left turn

#8296417 - 07/19/15 10:38 PM Re: experimenting and growth [Re: Duc]
Huggy Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Murder

Now that the photo is showing... Yeah, in Larry's photo the track and everything else is the detail... that is portraying motion. That is the key. He is portraying motion through context, i.e. the context of the track and tire smoke. Yours does not have that. Your photos show absolutely zero motion. Again in your first photo I feel the very next photo will be the buggy laying on its side. You can get that motion by opening up the aperture from your location to show motion blur... Or you have to change your location.

So again, why? The extra detail of trees and green grass would give your photos nothing. The detail of showing motion by getting motion blur would, but then why would you have it so wide when the track/trail isn't be showcased?

From a basic photo, yours again aren't bad, but to me they showcase nothing. I'm not drawn to them because there is absolutely nothing going on that I wouldn't expect to be seen in a point and shoot camera photo on facebook.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  jsmonet, x, 2000SiRacer, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads