Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#8263214 - 06/24/15 10:01 AM Question about Vehicle Safety test
Raocorp Offline
Cougar Slayer
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto
So here's the deal. So I posted about picking up my Mini.
I bought it from a BMW dealer thinking it would be an easy transaction but it wasn't. Anyway, since I experienced so much nonsense from them I decided to take the car to my mechanic to have it inspected. Turns out I have an exhaust leak, well an actual hole in both mufflers. My mechanic said that it shouldn't have passed safety like this. I am within the 30days.

So I call the dealer and explain the situation and they tell me to take it to the the shop that did the safety inspection. I will be doing this tomorrow so I don't know what they are going to say HOWEVER I expect that since these mufflers are expensive its unlikely that they are just going to replace them especially since its a small shop.

What is my recourse here now? If I have to pay for them, fine BUT i certaily want to report that a major error has occurred and I definitely want someone to be held accountable here. Even if the cost is left to me. To me the cost isn't the only issue, accountability is important as well.

#8263227 - 06/24/15 10:09 AM Re: Question about Vehicle Safety test [Re: Raocorp]
Screamin Type ARGH! Offline
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T.O. - Canaduh
Wow, dat BMW used certified service eh? (was it?). Did they not do their own inspection from whoever traded it in? It'd be pretty sad if you had to buy a used car from a dealer and say "let me take it to my mechanic to inspect it" lol.

Pretty shitty how the dlr would release it like that, as dumb as many of them are...that sounds pretty shady to "miss" something that obvious.

I'd say bitch out the dlr as faulty and see what they can do for you...if they passed it and it was unfit, threaten to show that slip to the ministry/MTO and watch how fast they fix it for you (that shit is serious biz I hear). Though for used cars it's usually a crapshoot as I find they brush you off as "not their problem anymore".

Otherwise, aftermarket mufflers it is, yay mods already! \:D lol

Edited by Screamin DC2R (06/24/15 10:11 AM)

"Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars"

#8263258 - 06/24/15 10:19 AM Re: Question about Vehicle Safety test [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canadistan
those used programs dont mean shit. Still have to do your own due diligence.

#8263276 - 06/24/15 10:25 AM Re: Question about Vehicle Safety test [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
You have to understand that the Safety Certificate means absolutely, positively NOTHING. Ok well that is an exaggeration but it is more accurate than you think.

The certificate represents the condition of the vehicle at the exact moment that it was inspected.

Let me explain with a personal example.

I had purchased a car years back and on the drive home I noticed that the horn didn't work. To make a long story short, when I contacted the Ministry of Transportation to see if the shop that performed the safety inspection was liable to perform the repair, they said no. The example they provided was that when the shop finishes the safety inspection and you drive the car off their property, anything can happen. You could be sitting at a traffic light and any of the bulbs could burn out. While it is valid for 36 days (or whatever it is) the safety of the vehicle is as of the time of the inspection.

Now my example was for a horn, no big deal. It might be different in your predicament or with something much bigger, like brakes which simply don't wear just like that. Having said that I'm sure the shop could argue that YOU swapped the brakes out when you took the car home, and from the Ministry's perspective they would side with the shop and then off you go to small claims court.

#8263288 - 06/24/15 10:29 AM Re: Question about Vehicle Safety test [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
iamfob Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Out There
dat CPO doe!

#8263367 - 06/24/15 11:05 AM Re: Question about Vehicle Safety test [Re: iamfob]
loudsubz Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Always always get a third party to look at the car. I put an offer on a car based on a mechanic looking at it even though it was safety and etest and from a reputable dealer, you just never know.
#8263375 - 06/24/15 11:06 AM Re: Question about Vehicle Safety test [Re: iamfob]
Raocorp Offline
Cougar Slayer
Post Master Sr

ya so those are the responses I was expecting. I highly doubt they are going to just swap the mufflers because I said so.
Oh well, I guess I'll see what happens tomorrow. I'm not just gonna let this go though. With the mufflers its so obvious. Something like this doesn't just appear out of now where. They were negligent, thats the point I'm trying to stress.

And yes, I didn't "take it to my mechanic" because I bought it from them. Its clear that they didn't do shit with the car when it was traded in. The got it and re-listed it. Its not like its junk....it just required much more than they told me it needed. If I had done my usual due diligence like I would have if I bought it privately, I likely wouldn't have bought the car at all because I didn't want to jump through all these hoops. And if I did, I would have been much more aggressive with price from the start.

#8263414 - 06/24/15 11:15 AM Re: Question about Vehicle Safety test [Re: Raocorp]
phoenixrage Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: People's Republic of Ontario
I'm sure there's enough room in their margins to eat a couple mufflers.. plus each department has a "budget" that allows for such situations.

which dealer did you buy this from?

#8263458 - 06/24/15 11:31 AM Re: Question about Vehicle Safety test [Re: phoenixrage]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Wiesloch-Walldorf, Germany
I think he bought it from faraz

#8263493 - 06/24/15 11:46 AM Re: Question about Vehicle Safety test [Re: c2k]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto, ON
Weld the leak shut?

Apparently I had 3 rusty holes in my cat ... $80 to weld that shit right thurr...

Now I (kinda) know what to look/hear for... DIY with a tube of liquid metal and call it a day? Have to get durty doe...

Edited by furball (06/24/15 11:47 AM)

#8263552 - 06/24/15 12:07 PM Re: Question about Vehicle Safety test [Re: furball]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Wiesloch-Walldorf, Germany
 Originally Posted By: furball
Weld the leak shut?

Apparently I had 3 rusty holes in my cat ... $80 to weld that shit right thurr...

Now I (kinda) know what to look/hear for... DIY with a tube of liquid metal and call it a day? Have to get durty doe...

brand new honda oem exhaust manifold w cat is around 180 bucks USD (I bought it from majestic honda ~3 years ago).

#8263560 - 06/24/15 12:09 PM Re: Question about Vehicle Safety test [Re: furball]
Raocorp Offline
Cougar Slayer
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: phoenixrage
I'm sure there's enough room in their margins to eat a couple mufflers.. plus each department has a "budget" that allows for such situations.

which dealer did you buy this from?

BMW Toronto

Originally Posted By: furball
Weld the leak shut?

My mechanic said the resonator should be repairable because of its position. The muffler won't be because the leak is on the seam.

I'll find out for certain when I drop the car there tmr

#8263627 - 06/24/15 12:28 PM Re: Question about Vehicle Safety test [Re: Raocorp]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Perfect time for a loud as fuck aftermarket exhaust

#8263726 - 06/24/15 12:58 PM Re: Question about Vehicle Safety test [Re: Euphoricuck]
zc911 Offline
Ferrari4Sale 😎
Post Master Supreme

Loc: toronto
they wont do anything, a safety is just a snap shot of the car at the one specific time. they can just claim it happened since you left

#8263732 - 06/24/15 01:00 PM Re: Question about Vehicle Safety test [Re: zc911]
Lost^
Unregistered

Get a Cherry bomb exhaust from Canadian tire
#8263735 - 06/24/15 01:02 PM Re: Question about Vehicle Safety test [Re: zc911]
spd-dmn Offline
Post Master

HOW THE FUCK did you buy a car from a BMW DEALER and they did a safety/mechanical inspection at a third party no-name shop?

HOW
IS
THIS
POSSIBLE

#8263746 - 06/24/15 01:09 PM Re: Question about Vehicle Safety test [Re: spd-dmn]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto, ON
Time to call OMVIC!!!

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d
'02 Rota Grid - 195-55-16FR (RIP)
'04 Volk GTC - 245-35-19F/275-35-19R (Sold to a farm boi)
I thought Spark was a robot from the old movie and I kind of remember seeing him telling some engineer showing the equation for a clear metal that the guy would event years later - porschetr

#8263763 - 06/24/15 01:18 PM Re: Question about Vehicle Safety test [Re: spd-dmn]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: spd-dmn
HOW THE FUCK did you buy a car from a BMW DEALER and they did a safety/mechanical inspection at a third party no-name shop?

HOW
IS
THIS
POSSIBLE

#8263770 - 06/24/15 01:22 PM Re: Question about Vehicle Safety test [Re: spd-dmn]
Screamin Type ARGH! Offline
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T.O. - Canaduh

HOW
IS
THIS
POSSIBLE

"Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars"

#8263928 - 06/24/15 02:22 PM Re: Question about Vehicle Safety test [Re: spd-dmn]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto,Ontario

HOW
IS
THIS
POSSIBLE

i'm wondering this also.....

unless bmw got your car from the faraz wholesale lot, they did the safety and it was still good.

#8264595 - 06/24/15 09:12 PM Re: Question about Vehicle Safety test [Re: titty sprinkles]
phoenixrage Offline
Post Master Supreme

btw.. spoke to my manager, and if it was certified, it will (should) be covered since you are in that 30 day window.

pm me if you have any issues.

#8264615 - 06/24/15 09:22 PM Re: Question about Vehicle Safety test [Re: phoenixrage]
Choco 'Nuck Offline
Proud Member of BLM
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Somewhere out there
Ed, thats pretty good that they would cover it \:\)
#8264654 - 06/24/15 09:47 PM Re: Question about Vehicle Safety test [Re: Choco 'Nuck]
phoenixrage Offline
Post Master Supreme

well, as long as it was sold as a certified series (or whatever mini's terms were).

#8265022 - 06/25/15 09:19 AM Re: Question about Vehicle Safety test [Re: phoenixrage]
Raocorp Offline
Cougar Slayer
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: phoenixrage
well, as long as it was sold as a certified series (or whatever mini's terms were).

yes I bought it certified, but it wasn't from Mini. It was from BMW.
Its there right now. Waiting to hear back what they say. The shop is super busy tho. I really don't want to leave it over night. Once this gets done I'll be happy. They certified it from "Cams Auto Service" on King st just down the street from the dealership...err stealership.

#8265401 - 06/25/15 12:25 PM Re: Question about Vehicle Safety test [Re: Raocorp]
phoenixrage Offline
Post Master Supreme

yea, they get super busy and can't get it in the shop.. and this happens.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads