Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#8185794 - 04/24/15 09:43 PM IT: Anyone certified/using hardcore scrum/agile/kanban?
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto, ON
Does anyone here truly use scrum methodology head-on, or even better, certified?

I just realized the bullshit I've been thrown the past number of years is but a tiny slice of agile... i.e. we never used a kanban board, product backlogs...

Trying to decide upon CSM or CSPO certification at the moment... (Already decided on Scrum Alliance bandwagon vs Scrum.org.) Yes... the whole fucking scrum certification concept is a hardcore scam ... Tell me about it.

If the timing works and the training seems legit, I just might do both CSM and CSPO this year... \:\|

Edited by furball (05/22/15 11:05 AM)

#8185959 - 04/25/15 07:29 AM Re: IT folk: Anyone certified, or working hardcore in scrum? [Re: furball]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
We are a hardcore Agile company. Some folk are certified Scrum Masters.
#8185971 - 04/25/15 08:03 AM Re: IT folk: Anyone certified, or working hardcore in scrum? [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

I'm still having a bit of a hard time thinking companies give any respect to agile certs... I mean, they're a cash grab. Not only that, everyone and their dog say they know scrum/agile. (Correct: the cert by itself means nothing; it's the experience you have that matters.)

Would you see any benefit of the CSPO-type certs? Last I read, CSM:CSPO certification is 10:1 ...

I'm leaning towards CSPO to differentiate, but my buddies are saying CSM.

#8186220 - 04/25/15 02:34 PM Re: IT folk: Anyone certified, or working hardcore in scrum? [Re: furball]
hyper-s2k Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T dot O dot, Canada
The dev shop where I work has been trying / starting to do a hybrid of agile / standard waterfall model (read: 1/2 assed) and its caused more chaos than efficiency.

Not sure if anyone is certified (including the contractor program level pm we have that made this pitch), but it sounds like a lot of bs (maybe if not had the concept been implemented properly).

Slightly off-topic: any value with ITIL certs? (And to what level?). Current boss (cue the other thread I made a while back) can't shut up about them. Should look into them if they can open to better paying jobs.
'03 s2k - now @ 80,xxx km - a2a car
'08 535i - sold @ 149,421 km - cashed out just in time!
'08 impreza 2.5i - sold @ - 64,147 km - smh POS
'01 rav4 - killed @ 155,879 km - RIP old friend

"Driving in the snow is like sex. If you want to avoid accidents, abstinence is the best policy. If you're gonna take her for a spin, use protection." - Rick Mercer

#8186300 - 04/25/15 05:06 PM Re: IT folk: Anyone certified, or working hardcore in scrum? [Re: hyper-s2k]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

I've heard/seen some higher-end corps ask for ITIL, but that's only because they have a manufacturing/warehouse-type logistics as part of their business.. Loblaws, etc..

ITIL will add value, as it's more 'structured' and formalized than say, this scrum/agile/kanban bullshit.

There's true value in coming in as a contractor/coach/exec trying to push agile ... If you know what you're doing. If you don't or it's half-assed, there will be challenges. If there's a Shared Services model going on, it still works, but gets tricky... (That's a bit beyond me, and something I'm trying to figure out how it'll work...)

Originally Posted By: hyper-s2k
Slightly off-topic: any value with ITIL certs? (And to what level?). Current boss (cue the other thread I made a while back) can't shut up about them. Should look into them if they can open to better paying jobs.

#8187061 - 04/26/15 05:26 PM Re: IT folk: Anyone certified, or working hardcore in scrum? [Re: furball]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
ITIL is used across the board, doesn't matter the business. I'd do that over this agile/scrum bullshit.

#8187351 - 04/26/15 09:24 PM Re: IT folk: Anyone certified, or working hardcore in scrum? [Re: LNXGUY]
hyper-s2k Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T dot O dot, Canada
Thanks guys.

The problem with Agile (where we are) is that business sees it as an opportunity of providing sloppy requirements and put the onus on development to build something ("like for like") then get them fixed by refining requirements as we go. BUT, these "fixes" (or new requirements) result in a major overhaul of the code itself (because the design paradigm has changed) -- and without pushing the deadline (because the "Agile" buzzword to them means quick turn around) -- it's now accordian-ed the entire schedule.

This may not be so bad if we have small roll outs - but the whole change management process is f'd and always require a huge song and dance around the whole damn thing. As well, this project we're on - its a hardware refresh + platform re-write; so it will be a mass roll out; doesn't sound like something meant for Agile / Scrum.

As of right now it seems we are 0 for 1 on Agile / Scrum.
'03 s2k - now @ 80,xxx km - a2a car
'08 535i - sold @ 149,421 km - cashed out just in time!
'08 impreza 2.5i - sold @ - 64,147 km - smh POS
'01 rav4 - killed @ 155,879 km - RIP old friend

"Driving in the snow is like sex. If you want to avoid accidents, abstinence is the best policy. If you're gonna take her for a spin, use protection." - Rick Mercer

#8187554 - 04/27/15 09:11 AM Re: IT folk: Anyone certified, or working hardcore in scrum? [Re: furball]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
 Originally Posted By: furball
I'm still having a bit of a hard time thinking companies give any respect to agile certs... I mean, they're a cash grab. Not only that, everyone and their dog say they know scrum/agile. (Correct: the cert by itself means nothing; it's the experience you have that matters.)

Would you see any benefit of the CSPO-type certs? Last I read, CSM:CSPO certification is 10:1 ...

I'm leaning towards CSPO to differentiate, but my buddies are saying CSM.

The same can be said about many certs. Companies that do not implement/follow agile will not acknowledge/respect the cert as those that do. And yes many certs are a cash grab, but if that's what it takes to get ahead ... And of course experience goes much further than the actual cert. Sent you some additional info in PM

#8210015 - 05/13/15 06:44 PM Re: IT folk: Anyone certified, or working hardcore in scrum? [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

UPDATE ... I just spent 2 days in a CSM course, and just passed the 'exam'.

Few pointers/notes to the techie folk:

1) Experience is paramount
- The course tells you absolute shit. The only thing I learned is the exam focuses on the 'Agile Manifesto' (word-for-word definition questions) sometimes, and there's alot of money to be made coaching agile/scrum.
- Scrum/agile in general tells you only what, and why. It NEVER tells you how. That's what agile consulting/coaches are for. --> This specifically fucks everyone up... totally.
- I only did a small portion of agile over the years; I learned the rest through a video tutorial role-play site, and 'Essential Scrum' book (read the ToC, then browsed the sections I didn't understand.)
- That being said, be VERY careful about saying 'Well no shit Sherlock, of course experience trumps'... The reason to be wary is because very, VERY few companies do agile properly. Even if they do, just because that's THE PREFERABLE way to do it doesn't mean it'll fit in another company....

Case in point: A firm with a Shared Services concept? Scrum/Agile says to BREAK the concept. Remove the obstacle, go around it, or go thru it. How? The fuck would anyone tell you; you'd have to pay for that via coaching/consulting.

2) Exam... eh?
- Supposedly the first few CSMs were automatically cert'd just by taking the 2-day course. Now they impose this bullshit 24 out of 35 questions online exam, which is just ... \:\|
- More than half the answers can be found online by googling the question while you're taking it.

3) Many think they know agile/scrum
- They don't.
- I asked many targetted questions, specific to real-life scenarios. The instructor answer was basically 'think outside the box' ... and rather generic in nature...

So in a nutshell, I spent a fucking shit ton of money for ... a PDF file \:\|

4) Purpose
- I'd say 90% of the people in the room had their course fees paid for by their company. Out of that, 75% or more of them were just collecting PDUs for PMP, etc...

Agile/scrum by nature is so full of shit... It contains none of the safety nets of rules, processes, methodologies... And it's very narcissistic in many ways ... 'Fuck you, I am not accountable for this'

Edited by furball (05/13/15 07:02 PM)

#8211261 - 05/14/15 05:08 PM Re: IT folk: Anyone certified, or working hardcore in scrum? [Re: furball]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

Update: For those who are really into agile/scrum, one of the 12 'founders' of scrum have just made ripples in the industry ...

http://blog.toolshed.com/2015/05/the-failure-of-agile.html

#8220679 - 05/22/15 11:02 AM Re: IT folk: Anyone certified, or working hardcore in scrum? [Re: furball]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

Either people think it's a scam and don't bother, or.. it's that hard to get

The route I'm taking, it's a matter of lining up references + some cash, and spinning the wheel of probability to apply for CSP, so I think it's worth a try...

#8220687 - 05/22/15 11:04 AM Re: IT folk: Anyone certified, or working hardcore in scrum? [Re: furball]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

Anyone with experience using multiple teams, either different offices, but even better, diff time zones, I'd love to hear your experiences.

If you use Kanban instead, I'd also love to hear about your experiences.

#8220698 - 05/22/15 11:13 AM Re: IT folk: Anyone certified, or working hardcore in scrum? [Re: furball]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

SIDE note: On the topic of SEUs and PDUs ... If you know of any freebie or uber cheap credits, holla back.

I found 2 free SEUs online:
- 1 here: https://www.frontrowagile.com/courses/let-go-of-knowing/overview
- The other courses on the site are about $50/Cat B SEU or PDU ... Not sure what the going 'rate' is, but I'd assume you can find cheaper PDUs online; SEUs not so sure.
** This one is also eligible as a PDU for you PMP guys; cue c_cnapper.

- 1 here: https://www.scrumalliance.org/why-scrum/learning-consortium/learning-consortium-webinars (Look for the May 20 Webinar... Not 100% sure if it's valid if you just watch the 'pre-recorded' webinar vs live...)

Reason for going GC Asian: I'm exactly 1 SEU short of CSP qualifications... (One of my courses stiffed me 1 hour; it listed for 7 SEUs vs a full-day 8 )

Update: More FREE PDUs http://edward-designer.com/web/free-pmp-pdu-cat-a/

Edited by furball (05/25/15 07:10 PM)

#8221057 - 05/22/15 02:40 PM Re: IT folk: Anyone certified, or working hardcore in scrum? [Re: furball]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto,Ontario
i have no idea what is going on in this thread. \:\|

#8269361 - 06/29/15 09:35 AM Re: IT folk: Anyone certified, or working hardcore in scrum? [Re: titty sprinkles]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

Update: I'm now certified in Scrum out the ass... \:\|

</crickets>

Stats: https://www.scrumalliance.org/scrum/medi...ation-Stats.pdf

Your time/money would be better spent on CMMI, Six Sigma, ITIL; though they're both more 'mature' methodologies/etc, they are more broad.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads