Topic Options
#8125916 - 03/11/15 10:50 AM mjölk
scootergeek Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: East of St. Louis

2001 S60 T-5M
247hp/240tq
3300 lbs

One previous owner (podiatrist) who seemed good about the maintenance (had the 105k mile timing belt done at the dealership, etc).

Was looking for a previous generation (P80) 855 or V70 5-speed, but they're either on the coasts, ragged out or priced like gold. Looked at a couple 90's Saab 9-3s, but this was just much nicer.

Videos
#8126558 - 03/11/15 03:25 PM Re: mjölk [Re: scootergeek]
ReplicaR Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: E.E.B.
Looks cold. Did you get it from the back of the fridge?

Acceleration.... \:\( -------+-- \:\)
Handling......... \:\( -------+-- \:\)
Speed............ \:\( ------+--- \:\)

#8127022 - 03/11/15 08:51 PM Re: mjölk [Re: ReplicaR]
scootergeek Offline
Post Master Supreme

It's in its natural element. All the snow has melted now, but there's still road salt everywhere so no glamour shots yet.

Sold the GTI tonight. Bosnian kids, they love VWs.

#8127132 - 03/11/15 11:38 PM Re: mjölk [Re: scootergeek]
A_Mantis Administrator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Valley of the Sun
Very nice. Turbo Volvos <3

#8127496 - 03/12/15 09:58 AM Re: mjölk [Re: scootergeek]
ReplicaR Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: scootergeek

Sold the GTI tonight. Bosnian kids, they love VWs.

They sure do. Eastern european and VW go hand in hand very well.

#8128416 - 03/12/15 07:40 PM Re: mjölk [Re: ReplicaR]
scootergeek Offline
Post Master Supreme

They also love the VR6. To me, the 1.8t seems a no-brainer. Maybe even stretch to see if a 2.0t could be stuffed in there, but every one of them are all about the VR6.

I thought I'd have less feels about selling it, but I was anxious all evening, slept poorly and was still out of sorts this morning. Like every abusive relationship, it's only a relationship because you love the evil bastard, no matter how much he/she/it makes you suffer.

Beater GTI by scottspaeth, on Flickr

#8129868 - 03/13/15 07:28 PM Re: mjölk [Re: scootergeek]
ReplicaR Offline
Post Master Sr

Been there with a girl, but didn't skip a beat when Corrado was gone.

#8129897 - 03/13/15 08:05 PM Re: mjölk [Re: ReplicaR]
scootergeek Offline
Post Master Supreme

I had that car for 8 years, longer than most marriages.

#8130264 - 03/14/15 12:14 PM Re: mjölk [Re: scootergeek]
ReplicaR Offline
Post Master Sr

Corrado was abusive to me for 3 years... longer than most relationships that don't end in marriage lol

#8135772 - 03/18/15 08:49 PM Re: mjölk [Re: ReplicaR]
scootergeek Offline
Post Master Supreme

Ok, I've had the car just over a month now (got it on feb 14). So far, it's my favorite car I've owned and driven ever (I've only put about 50-100 feet on my Alfas, so they don't count). It's got its flaws (steering is over-assisted and doesn't load up in turns which annoys me), but on the whole the driving experience is so pleasant, that I'll learn to live without *feel*.

Funny thing is, the car feels really familiar even though I've never driven a fwd Volvo before and it doesn't even feel like the same company as my old rwd Volvo wagons. Then it hit me, this is the first black sedan I've owned since 2006. Like the last one, it's cab forward with steeply raked windscreens front and rear, ~250hp turbo, fwd, notchy 5 speed. It's a Swedish SRT-4. The T5 is about 400 lbs heavier, 400% more civilized and 400 times more grown up, but the power delivery and driving dynamics are very similar. Stock T5 suspension beats the shit out of the shit "tuner feel" crap from the SRT-4. Interiors aren't even on the same planet. Volvo seats do more than just look the part. And so on, but the underlying feel is the same.

Biggest difference is there is zero buyer's remorse so far - but that's partly down to the difference between coming out of a 1g ACR and the world's shittiest Mk2 GTI.

#8138123 - 03/20/15 01:41 PM Re: mjölk [Re: scootergeek]
kyden Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Providence, RI
Ok, I've had the car just over a month now (got it on feb 14). So far, it's my favorite car I've owned and driven ever (I've only put about 50-100 feet on my Alfas, so they don't count). It's got its flaws (steering is over-assisted and doesn't load up in turns which annoys me), but on the whole the driving experience is so pleasant, that I'll learn to live without *feel*.

Funny thing is, the car feels really familiar even though I've never driven a fwd Volvo before and it doesn't even feel like the same company as my old rwd Volvo wagons. Then it hit me, this is the first black sedan I've owned since 2006. Like the last one, it's cab forward with steeply raked windscreens front and rear, ~250hp turbo, fwd, notchy 5 speed. It's a Swedish SRT-4. The T5 is about 400 lbs heavier, 400% more civilized and 400 times more grown up, but the power delivery and driving dynamics are very similar. Stock T5 suspension beats the shit out of the shit "tuner feel" crap from the SRT-4. Interiors aren't even on the same planet. Volvo seats do more than just look the part. And so on, but the underlying feel is the same.

Biggest difference is there is zero buyer's remorse so far - but that's partly down to the difference between coming out of a 1g ACR and the world's shittiest Mk2 GTI.

a $30k+ Volvo is better than a $20k neon? Mind blown.
<x> i had a weird dream <x> where i lived in an apartment complex <x> walked down the street, and kyden and a couple other dudes were living in an apartment and ran outside looking for the maintenance people <x> and something about taking a shit in a sealed toilet

#8138852 - 03/21/15 09:42 AM Re: mjölk [Re: kyden]
scootergeek Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: kyden

a $30k+ Volvo is better than a $20k neon? Mind blown.

It's the similarities that surprise.

It may just be my lack of exposure to enough turbocharged cars. I've driven a variety of turbo VWs and Audis, and it's pretty much nothing like them. Maybe other car makers are more similar.

The Volvo also reminds me of sort of a 4/5ths scale E39.

#8142060 - 03/24/15 11:43 AM Re: mjölk [Re: scootergeek]
g96nt Offline
Jr Poster

Loc: Annapolis MD
I haven't driven one of the newer T5, but I feel like my next vehicle will be one. Probably a wagon, we'll see.
That being said, the only t5 I have owned was an 850 with '00 VR engine that was SOOOO much fun. it was light, it was nimble, it was comfortable, and was built well.

when you said it felt familiar, I thought you were going to go down an ergonomical road, saying that things are where you expect and operate how you'd expect. I can see the connection between the 2.4/2.5 turbo FWD, but the Volvo certainly will win on the "feels", even if less-connected, the ride is just worlds better. My 20-year old 160k T5-R with bilsteins and lowering springs just FELT more solid, more rigid, and of better construction that any of the Mitsubishis, Nissans, Mazdas and Toyotas I've spent time driving, even when they had <30k miles.

#8142886 - 03/24/15 09:32 PM Re: mjölk [Re: g96nt]
scootergeek Offline
Post Master Supreme

There's an annoying disconnect when hitting the harsher bumps. Pretty sure it's either the sub-frame bushings (the motor and front suspension is entirely attached via 4 bushings that allow fwd motor mount amounts of movement) or the upper spring mounts - so I've got inserts for the sub frame and new upper spring mounts/strut bearings ready to go on. I've been reading up on how to reduce the steering assist, but there seems to be a shallow depth of knowledge from teh web on the subject.

#8147778 - 03/27/15 01:20 PM Re: mjölk [Re: scootergeek]
g96nt Offline
Jr Poster

Loc: Annapolis MD
I did see that Ipd sells the inserts, now. The FB groups seems to agree that it's a big help. I know Saab had some issues with clunky springs in the Spyker-era 9-3.

It's funny. Mom's had a 240dl she's put 400k miles on since '96 that she just sold, but she's had a '10 C300 AWD that's just been sitting, doing almost nothing because she hates it. It's a nice-enough car, has 40k miles on it(she bought with ~25k or so), has ZERO problems, is showroom clean, minus typical mom wheel-curbing. She's selling the C300 to buy a new XC60, even though Volvo's "not what it used to be". They've come a long way to improve their product, and with Saabs getting older and older, It's almost certain we'll have a couple Volvos in the driveway, once we're due for new cars.

#8148406 - 03/27/15 05:52 PM Re: mjölk [Re: g96nt]
scootergeek Offline
Post Master Supreme

I looked at hatchback 9-3s and 9000 Aeros because the general consensus is that they're better driver's cars than the P2 Volvos, but like the 850/V70, even the beaters were trying to command too much money from the enthusiasts. If anything this experience has led me to look for cars with a weaker enthusiast base (hence the S60 instead of the V70 I would have preferred).

Hell, when I started, I had E36 BMWs and EG hatches on my radar as well, but the "scenes" have beat the living shit out of those cars and still want silly money for them.

#8148815 - 03/27/15 10:34 PM Re: mjölk [Re: scootergeek]
ScottStaypuff Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ohio
Congrats!

#8177583 - 04/19/15 10:07 AM Re: mjölk [Re: ScottStaypuff]
scootergeek Offline
Post Master Supreme

Woo hoo, Volvo high mileage club. I'm a dork.

And my phone has a shitty camera.

Edited by scootergeek (04/19/15 10:08 AM)

#8233333 - 06/03/15 03:45 AM Re: mjölk [Re: scootergeek]
meizu001 Offline

I looked at hatchback 9-3s and 9000 Aeros because the general consensus is that they're better driver's cars than the P2 Volvos, but like the 850/V70, even the beaters were trying to command too much money from the enthusiasts. If anything this experience has led me to look for cars with a weaker enthusiast base (hence the S60 instead of the V70 I would have preferred).

Hell, when I started, I had E36 BMWs and EG hatches on my radar as well, but the "scenes" have beat the living shit out of those cars and still want silly money for them.

#8242976 - 06/10/15 01:09 AM Re: mjölk [Re: scootergeek]
meizu001 Offline

Was looking for a previous generation (P80) 855 or V70 5-speed, but they're either on the coasts, ragged out or priced like gold. Looked at a couple 90's Saab 9-3s, but this was just much nicer.
#8268234 - 06/27/15 05:20 PM Re: mjölk [Re: scootergeek]
Post Master Supreme

Any new updates/impressions now that the honeymoon phase is over? Theres a clean blue S60R 6mt near me going for $4.9k and I'm fighting the urge.

#8268762 - 06/28/15 02:07 PM Re: mjölk [Re: A_Mantis]
scootergeek Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Mantis
Any new updates/impressions now that the honeymoon phase is over? Theres a clean blue S60R 6mt near me going for $4.9k and I'm fighting the urge.

That's a good price. I like it, fuel economy kind of sucks - I have to granny it around to get 25mpg combined. Usually end up closer to 22mpg. I feel like I desperately need to rebuild the front suspension (need new bushings in the LCAs - apparently buying whole arms is the way most people go), add springs and Konis and Ipd swaybars.

Only real regret so far was the USASpec ipod adapter that plugs into the cd changer port in the stock radio. What a fucking piece of garbage. Loads of hum/hiss coming through. It resets whatever I'm playing to alphabetical/non-shuffle when you start the car about 30% of the time. It doesn't display shit on the radio face, etc. Apparently, for about two bills (twice as much) I could have had a decent system by a company called http://www.imiv.ca/cms/

Overall, I like the car. I've grown to love the lines, which is funny because I've always had a strong preference for Volvo's wagons over sedans. No major repairs yet - had a front turn signal socket go bad from poor soldering (apparently common on 01-02 models), but it was a cheap fix and the socket has its own plug into the harness, so no cutting or soldering was involved, took about 2 minutes to replace.

The R models with their adaptive suspensions and awd (haldex) do offer more to go wrong though.

#8279042 - 07/06/15 09:07 PM Re: mjölk [Re: A_Mantis]
theLoon Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: MN
We've had a V70R for about six years now. 4.9K is peanuts for that car, but you better have twice that saved up for repairs. Ours averages about $2K/year, things like bearings and angle drive gears and really fucking expensive brake components.

Side note, the auto is preferred to the 6MT cause there's so many torks coming from the engine. At least that's what I hear. I hate autos, the V70 is wifey's car but I get to drive it on long trips, and it's decently fun. Too much weight, too complicated suspension, too much FWD bias, but still pretty entertaining to hustle around a few curves. And a long distance bomber, awesome stereo and super comfy bolstered leather seats.

#8281156 - 07/08/15 09:53 AM Re: mjölk [Re: theLoon]
scootergeek Offline
Post Master Supreme

I've read basically nothing positive about the Haldex system. The R comes with a better turbo and manifolds, and I might one day upgrade to those - and I kind of want the sexy brakes - but I think the T5M is the preferable car in most ways.

#8314248 - 08/02/15 09:51 AM Re: mjölk [Re: scootergeek]
scootergeek Offline
Post Master Supreme

And now, for only the second time over the course of 5 Volvos and 23 years, I want to kill a volvo engineer. Alternator died. It's sandwiched in between the power steering pump and the A/C compressor - you have to unbolt and move both before you can get it out. And that's complicated by radiators, hoses and random black boxes of electricity that are everywhere your wrenches need to be. And it's all half hidden by the intake manifold.

#8317847 - 08/05/15 09:13 AM Re: mjölk [Re: scootergeek]
Post Master Supreme

FFUUUUUU Those wacky Swedish engineers. Does this mean the a/c system had to be evacuated/recharged and the P/S drained/refilled? That would be a huge PITA.

#8318664 - 08/05/15 04:43 PM Re: mjölk [Re: A_Mantis]
ReplicaR Offline
Post Master Sr

Meanwhile in the uncomplicated world of mid 90s Mustang, I had an alternator go out about 6 months back. I picked up another one in the middle of the night in a 24 hour Autozone, and replaced it in within 20 minutes... \:\)

#8318941 - 08/05/15 08:55 PM Re: mjölk [Re: A_Mantis]
scootergeek Offline
Post Master Supreme

FFUUUUUU Those wacky Swedish engineers. Does this mean the a/c system had to be evacuated/recharged and the P/S drained/refilled? That would be a huge PITA.

No, fortunately this was designed before Ford could influence them. But the ps reservior and pump have be be pushed out of the way and the radiator fans pulled, because you have to slide the alternator to the drivers side of the car before there's room to lift it out. Oh, and I only replaced the voltage regulator (because the internet all agreed that that's the culprit 99.999% of the time), and that wasn't it, so this saturday, I get to do it all again.

At this point though, there aren't many surprises left for me.

#8318942 - 08/05/15 08:57 PM Re: mjölk [Re: ReplicaR]
scootergeek Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: ReplicaR
Meanwhile in the uncomplicated world of mid 90s Mustang, I had an alternator go out about 6 months back. I picked up another one in the middle of the night in a 24 hour Autozone, and replaced it in within 20 minutes... \:\)

No 24 hour parts stores here in flyover gangland. Besides, it was like $150 difference between rock auto and buying from a "discount" local store.

Bets on how long the TYC alternator survives?

#8323634 - 08/09/15 06:58 PM Re: mjölk [Re: scootergeek]
scootergeek Offline
Post Master Supreme

So MUCH fun!

#8323905 - 08/10/15 01:51 AM Re: mjölk [Re: scootergeek]
Post Master Supreme

Sheeeeiiiiit

#8329937 - 08/15/15 08:24 PM Re: mjölk [Re: scootergeek]
theLoon Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: MN

So MUCH fun!
You know the install was the suck when you don't even bother to wipe off the bits and pieces surrounding it afterwards lol

Then again, here in 16-yr old German car land, I just spent the last three days chasing down a short in the wiring of my aux fan. Replaced six feet of wiring harness until I realized that it was a corroded plug. Good times driving around in 90 degree weather blasting the heater. Worked great until the heater blower motor took a shit this afternoon

#8330106 - 08/16/15 08:24 AM Re: mjölk [Re: theLoon]
scootergeek Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: theLoon

Then again, here in 16-yr old German car land, I just spent the last three days chasing down a short in the wiring of my aux fan. Replaced six feet of wiring harness until I realized that it was a corroded plug. Good times driving around in 90 degree weather blasting the heater. Worked great until the heater blower motor took a shit this afternoon

doh x2.

#8342013 - 08/26/15 01:47 PM Re: mjölk [Re: scootergeek]
Post Master Supreme

I'll just leave this right here. \:D

http://jalopnik.com/for-4-200-this-1999-...ypography%3Doff

#8342683 - 08/26/15 08:40 PM Re: mjölk [Re: A_Mantis]
scootergeek Offline
Post Master Supreme

Yeah, I reposted that on FB earlier. But truth be told, I'm done with Dodge. The cooling system on my daughter's Neon is annoying the fuck out of me and my wife's 2003 Town & Country (which used to be our "nice" family car) just seems like such a pile now that I've tasted 21st century Swedish niceness - the 240s and 940 I owned weren't even in the same ballpark as the T&C much less the S60 so it caught me off guard, but now I'm addicted to dash molesting.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  auxilary, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads