Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#8127249 - 03/12/15 06:58 AM Looking for backpack that takes hydration bag...
Skizzz Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: zombo.com
Gents,

Looking for backpack suggestions here:
- Regular backpack, no shoulder sling
- Hydration bag ready (100oz preferred)
- Must have side opening for quick access
- Will be used for mountain biking and hiking
- Not too large or bulky

- fstop kenti
http://shop.fstopgear.com/us/products/mountain/backpacks/kenti.html#.VQF8mIKxe3o
Has most of the features that i'm looking for, it will fit a prodoby, however is too darn expensive for what you get and it does not include raincover. Also read comments that it will uncomfortable on your back if your 100oz hydration bag is completely full. Currently top pick

These are the few I'm looking at:
- Mindshift rotation180° Panorama
http://www.mindshiftgear.com/products/rotation180-panorama
Very unique solution for side opening, instead they use a rotation bag like belt. I was a tad confused at first, but seems a very interesting solution.
They have a pro version that will fit a pro body, but way too rich for my tastes and way too heavy. The panorama version seems to work best, but doesnt look like it will fit anything bigger than a standard body.

- Clik Elite Probody Sport Camera Backpack
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004SN0...ASIN=B004SN0UUK
Has most of the features im looking for, however contrary to it's name and claimed features it will not fit a probody comfortably nor a D7000 with grip, which is my setup. I could remove the grip, but if down the road i opt for a probody, this bag will become useless.

- Lowepro Photo Sport 200 AW
http://store.lowepro.com/backpacks/photo-sport-200-aw#
Good alternative, has most of the features that i'm looking for but read several reviews complaining how flimsy the bag material is. Mixed reactions when loaded w a grip.

Anyone else has other options?

Visit Sponsors! Help CSi !
#8133265 - 03/17/15 10:56 AM Re: Looking for backpack that takes hydration bag... [Re: Skizzz]
chef Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: The OC
You hit all of the ones I was going to suggest. The fstop is really tempting, I keep wanting to buy a bag from them but then they dick us around and hang a review bag out like a carrot, and then never send it. So fuck them. For me. For you, get it and tell me how awesome it is!

The Mindshift is smaller and lighter than I expected. I thought it would be like a Tamrac. Heavy duty material, thick padding, but it was actually built out of lighter nylon and smaller than I thought. It could work for you here. I have a lot of Clik bags. This one never appealed to me. The materials on this bag are heavier duty, I have the Hiker, and had the Bottle Rocket. I also have the Klettern for casual use and the Contrejour 40. That dark turquoise line is made of lighter materials but the smaller packs in that line have that weird marsupial pouch that won't hold enough for me. They have a bag a little narrower than the Contrejour coming out called the constellation or something like that. I saw it last summer at the outdoor retailer show but it's still not released.

The Lowepro really caught my eye as the first sort of lightweight bag that came out. I just wasn't wild about the side access. That's why I don't have most of these bags, haha.

I would suggest spending the money for the bag you want. I've tried compromising and always end up getting three or four bags trying to find what i wanted to begin with. For the active stuff, make sure it fits your torso well and you can strap it down. It really makes a difference in comfort, especially on a bike, and especially when on a long hike. The Contrejour is the only one that really fits me, so I often end up taking that even when it's super overkill. I recently picked up a Think Tank Shape Shifter, and it's pretty badass. I'm not worried too much about padding for each piece of kit, so the little neoprene pouches that hold everything are awesome. There's room to stuff the body with a connected lens into the main compartment if in a rush, but it worked great on a recent road trip with short hikes up to Yosemite.
Order my photo prints (New files uploaded)

#8134114 - 03/17/15 07:13 PM Re: Looking for backpack that takes hydration bag... [Re: chef]
Skizzz Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: zombo.com
So after many reviews and days of research I ended up getting the clik elite probody sport.
I was afraid my D7000 and grip wouldn't fit, but after some readjusting of the internal dividers it fit perfectly. The material is very nicely built and thick, so padding is there.
One of the reasons I choose the clik elite because it will fit a 100oz comfortably, the top compartment is separated from the bottom by a zipped divisor. Was important for as I usually carry food on top, so I didn't want to contaminate the dslr compartment.
The fstop has the roll top, which sounds inconvenient when you need to access it often or in a rush. Also the fstop has single very large lower compartment, which encourages storing non dslr stuff there, which I don't really like.
Several reviews say the fstop wouldn't be comfortable to carry on a full 100oz hydration bag.
Price wasn't really a deterrent, but at 200 bux you would expect a rain fly to be included w the fstop.
On the clik elite you can tuck in the waste belt into the bag, which is kinda neat.

So comparing all pros and cons, I went w the clik elite probody sport.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  jsmonet, x, 2000SiRacer, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads