Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#8116409 - 03/04/15 12:26 PM Speaking of room layouts, kitchen ideas? (updated w/ layout)
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

Inspired by GimpCivic's post, i have 4 options with our kitchen that I am trying to decide on. It's a galley kitchen, with three doorsways, top side is to go into backyard, bottom is to hallway, to the right is for living room.

We considered knocking out walls and going open concept, but ultimately decided against it and want to keep the kitchen as a contained room.

Because of all the door openings and it being a galley kitchen, it's pretty hard to make effective use of it. Based on the concepts below what would you pick and why?

We were split between B and D, and are pretty much set on going with D at this point.

#8116438 - 03/04/15 12:45 PM Re: Speaking of room layouts, kitchen ideas?! [Re: Risky Business]
GimpCivic Offline
Sr Member

Loc: Toronto, ON, Canada
out of the 4 I'd pick A. I do most of the cooking at home and I have to have the Fridge, Sink and Stove close by. Your other 3 options has at least 1 of the 3 at the other end of the kitchen making food prep and cooking a PIA.

We have a galley and would like it to be open concept as every time we host, the kitchen is the place where everyone congregates. Galley's aren't meant for that.

#8116439 - 03/04/15 12:46 PM Re: Speaking of room layouts, kitchen ideas?! [Re: Risky Business]
SW20_MR2 Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Markham, Ontario, Canada
D looks good. The main challenge will be that your stove is far away from both your sink and your fridge. If you cook a lot, that might be a pian. Otherwise, I think it makes good use of your space.

#8116458 - 03/04/15 01:06 PM Re: Speaking of room layouts, kitchen ideas?! [Re: SW20_MR2]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Wiesloch-Walldorf, Germany
I'd pick B or D, mainly bc I need counter space to prep meal prior to cook on the stove.

are you going to use IKEA to build your kitchen?

edit - I'd pick B, bc the sink is close by.

#8116472 - 03/04/15 01:15 PM Re: Speaking of room layouts, kitchen ideas?! [Re: c2k]
A2B-Lexus Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Raptors Land
A for the same reasons as Gimp
#8116484 - 03/04/15 01:19 PM Re: Speaking of room layouts, kitchen ideas?! [Re: c2k]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canadistan
i agree with gimp.

#8116503 - 03/04/15 01:37 PM Re: Speaking of room layouts, kitchen ideas?! [Re: c2k]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: GimpCivic
out of the 4 I'd pick A. I do most of the cooking at home and I have to have the Fridge, Sink and Stove close by. Your other 3 options has at least 1 of the 3 at the other end of the kitchen making food prep and cooking a PIA.

We have a galley and would like it to be open concept as every time we host, the kitchen is the place where everyone congregates. Galley's aren't meant for that.

I agree on both points.
A was our initial thought and that’s how the kitchen is right now, except stove is where fridge is. The problem is that with the stove placement in A, you have two very small countertops on the side of the stove, both will be 18”. I wouldn’t mind putting the stove at the edge of the doorway and then have a 36” counter between fridge and stove, but you can’t have the stove with open side at a doorway like that (safety). I could put it in the other corner (where fridge is), which is the current setup, but we find the fridge at the doorway makes the kitchen feel super cramped.

I agree that for hosting, open concept is the way to go. If we really quantify it though, we host on average 1-2 times every 30 days during a regular month, more during holidays. Let’s say 20 days out of 365, for those 20 days we don’t feel it’s worth it. The other pro is when you have kids at a certain age, whoever is cooking can keep an eye out on the kids (more of a moot point imo, but a point regardless). Our issue with open concept that kitchen clutter spills over into a living room, and for day to day use where a kitchen is in use, we prefer it to be its own separate space. Our thought process is messy kitchen spilling over into living room for 340 days out of the year, or 20 days of being able to provide optimum entertainment.

Originally Posted By: SW20_MR2
D looks good. The main challenge will be that your stove is far away from both your sink and your fridge. If you cook a lot, that might be a pian. Otherwise, I think it makes good use of your space.

I agree 100% and that’s why I am still skeptical. The other issue is that we can only put a small table there (close to stove) and it will be in the way. In terms of distance it’s about 10’ away from the sink. We chose the stove to go there because it will be the “centerpiece” of the kitchen, so when you walk in that’s one focal point, and the other will be the sink+window. We are talking all looks here, but I think practicality will suffer.

Originally Posted By: c2k
I'd pick B or D, mainly bc I need counter space to prep meal prior to cook on the stove.

are you going to use IKEA to build your kitchen?

edit - I'd pick B, bc the sink is close by.

We are going with Ikea for the cabinets only, their new European line just came here last month, it’s pretty solid stuff and the kitchen event is currently on.

#8116520 - 03/04/15 01:52 PM Re: Speaking of room layouts, kitchen ideas?! [Re: Risky Business]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Rinky Business
and the kitchen event is currently on.
hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry

#8116521 - 03/04/15 01:53 PM Re: Speaking of room layouts, kitchen ideas?! [Re: Euphoricuck]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

can you knock down any walls///make hole to open it up?

#8116578 - 03/04/15 02:25 PM Re: Speaking of room layouts, kitchen ideas?! [Re: Euphoricuck]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto,Ontario
i'd pick D...for D right price.

#8116590 - 03/04/15 02:29 PM Re: Speaking of room layouts, kitchen ideas?! [Re: Euphoricuck]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
 Originally Posted By: Euphoric

Yup, that kitchen seems pretty small.

#8117061 - 03/04/15 06:54 PM Re: Speaking of room layouts, kitchen ideas?! [Re: LNXGUY]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: LNXGUY
 Originally Posted By: Euphoric

Yup, that kitchen seems pretty small.

Kitchen is small 8' x 18', welcome to the ghetto bro \:\/

Having said that, I put my interior designer hat on and I came up with this layout. I feel that layouts above have two critical flaws, 1 appliance is way too far and I have no kitchen seating area which is my biggest concern.

I came up with this b.s. basically a peninsula on the left side of the kitchen and a ton of storage. Thoughts?

#8117107 - 03/04/15 07:25 PM Re: Speaking of room layouts, kitchen ideas?! [Re: Risky Business]
spd-dmn Offline
Post Master

love that work triangle brah

you been reading the same books as me?

#8117195 - 03/04/15 08:22 PM Re: Speaking of room layouts, kitchen ideas?! [Re: spd-dmn]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

what books?

how to be obtuse? He memorized that one long ago.

#8117204 - 03/04/15 08:30 PM Re: Speaking of room layouts, kitchen ideas?! [Re: Euphoricuck]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto, ON
I like the last ghetto sketch, however not a big fan of having the fridge and stove next to each other

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d
'02 Rota Grid - 195-55-16FR (RIP)
'04 Volk GTC - 245-35-19F/275-35-19R (Sold to a farm boi)
I thought Spark was a robot from the old movie and I kind of remember seeing him telling some engineer showing the equation for a clear metal that the guy would event years later - porschetr

#8117213 - 03/04/15 08:35 PM Re: Speaking of room layouts, kitchen ideas?! [Re: spd-dmn]
Simon_the_Pieman Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: The A
can you take out the bottom walls so its open to your hallway and play from there?

#8117260 - 03/04/15 09:08 PM Re: Speaking of room layouts, kitchen ideas?! [Re: Simon_the_Pieman]
loudsubz Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ontario, Canada
B I love islands
#8117454 - 03/05/15 12:01 AM Re: Speaking of room layouts, kitchen ideas?! [Re: loudsubz]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

I like the last sketch as well. Everyone eventually crowds around the kitchen, it never fails.

#8117495 - 03/05/15 02:59 AM Re: Speaking of room layouts, kitchen ideas?! [Re: LNXGUY]
Wildout Offline
Post Master Jr

Can you do a quick sketch of how the bottom hallway and living room connect to the kitchen? So I guess just add in the rest of the main floor so I have better idea for flow.

I have an idea that may work.

#8117531 - 03/05/15 06:34 AM Re: Speaking of room layouts, kitchen ideas?! [Re: Wildout]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

better yet.

snap a pic of your current kitchen so we have a better visual of the current layout with the walls.

#8117555 - 03/05/15 07:23 AM Re: Speaking of room layouts, kitchen ideas?! [Re: c2k]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto, ON
Better yet, invite all of csi over so we can all look at it.

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d
'02 Rota Grid - 195-55-16FR (RIP)
'04 Volk GTC - 245-35-19F/275-35-19R (Sold to a farm boi)
I thought Spark was a robot from the old movie and I kind of remember seeing him telling some engineer showing the equation for a clear metal that the guy would event years later - porschetr

#8117581 - 03/05/15 08:02 AM Re: Speaking of room layouts, kitchen ideas?! [Re: Hatorade]
Denis Si Offline
Post Master

Loc: T.O.
Better yet, sell the house and move to Durham so you can have a normal size kitchen
#8117590 - 03/05/15 08:13 AM Re: Speaking of room layouts, kitchen ideas?! [Re: Denis Si]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Simon_the_Pieman
can you take out the bottom walls so its open to your hallway and play from there?

Problem with that is that when you enter the house you see right into the kitchen, I hate that in homes. I don’t like the whole house to be exposed from the front door, just a personal preference.

Originally Posted By: LNXGUY
I like the last sketch as well. Everyone eventually crowds around the kitchen, it never fails.

so true, this is why the seating area (lack thereof) is a big issue for me.
 Originally Posted By: Wildout
Can you do a quick sketch of how the bottom hallway and living room connect to the kitchen? So I guess just add in the rest of the main floor so I have better idea for flow.

I have an idea that may work.

See attached

Originally Posted By: c2k
better yet.

snap a pic of your current kitchen so we have a better visual of the current layout with the walls.

You just want to photoshop some more drizzy in there doe.

Originally Posted By: Denis Si
Better yet, sell the house and move to Durham so you can have a normal size kitchen

I would move into a 450 sq. ft. condo before I move to Durham

#8117625 - 03/05/15 08:35 AM Re: Speaking of room layouts, kitchen ideas?! [Re: Risky Business]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

I'd take out the wall between the kitchen/livingroom and open up that entire space. Or at least the wall directly to the right of the kitchen and make that upper part a breakfast nook or something.

#8117683 - 03/05/15 08:58 AM Re: Speaking of room layouts, kitchen ideas?! [Re: LNXGUY]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

C'mon bruh. What's one more Drake phoot will do for ya doe?

but back on topic - I'd have to agree with Bill, it will for sure open up more room in the kitchen and probably will keep a lot of folks out of the kitchen on a social setting.

#8117751 - 03/05/15 09:29 AM Re: Speaking of room layouts, kitchen ideas?! [Re: c2k]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

I should show these to my wife.

#8117760 - 03/05/15 09:34 AM Re: Speaking of room layouts, kitchen ideas?! [Re: Risky Business]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

You havent yet?

leleleleel

#8117784 - 03/05/15 09:44 AM Re: Speaking of room layouts, kitchen ideas?! [Re: Euphoricuck]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Post pics of the kitchen and I promise I wont photoshop drake in it. \:D

#8117809 - 03/05/15 09:57 AM Re: Speaking of room layouts, kitchen ideas?! [Re: Risky Business]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
I don’t like the whole house to be exposed from the front door, just a personal preference.
I'm with you on this

this is why the seating area (lack thereof) is a big issue for me.
Where do you eat your meals now, in your dining room? Do you want a "breakfast area" ie an area for a kitchen table?

#8117828 - 03/05/15 10:06 AM Re: Speaking of room layouts, kitchen ideas?! [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
4Three Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Markham, ON, Canada
i'd swap those two counter surfaces on either side of the range. you'd want the larger one next to the fridge for when you'll grabbing a whole bunch of stuff out.

how much space is on either side of that peninsula? might be better to just move those cabinets north and south with the open space in the middle?

#8117889 - 03/05/15 10:36 AM Re: Speaking of room layouts, kitchen ideas?! [Re: 4Three]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: SuPeR-MaRiO

Where do you eat your meals now, in your dining room? Do you want a "breakfast area" ie an area for a kitchen table?

Because the kitchen is a mess right now, we eat on that wooden dining room table that c2k posted. I don’t like it, would rather eat in the kitchen like we used to. The left side of the kitchen had a round table with 4 chairs before and that was the main eating area all the time.

Originally Posted By: 4Three
i'd swap those two counter surfaces on either side of the range. you'd want the larger one next to the fridge for when you'll grabbing a whole bunch of stuff out.

how much space is on either side of that peninsula? might be better to just move those cabinets north and south with the open space in the middle?

I agree on swapping the counters around range, but for safety you need minimum 15” I think on either side, the piece between range and fridge now is 10”. Unless I shorten the other 30” to a 24” I can’t swap them out.

I see what you are saying on rearranging the cabinets north and south, that will make it way too tight for a seating area.

Here is my attempt at sketching the peninsula that would potentially go on the left side of the kitchen:

#8117922 - 03/05/15 10:55 AM Re: Speaking of room layouts, kitchen ideas?! [Re: Risky Business]
Denis Si Offline
Post Master

Loc: T.O.
Dude. Can you use a ruler please?
#8117940 - 03/05/15 11:08 AM Re: Speaking of room layouts, kitchen ideas?! [Re: Denis Si]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

a ruler?fak off

sketching bish

#8117941 - 03/05/15 11:08 AM Re: Speaking of room layouts, kitchen ideas?! [Re: Denis Si]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
So the peninsula is where you will be eating your meals? I don't know what it is, but in order to feel comfortable or relaxed when eating a meal, my feet need to rest on the floor. Not a big fan of sitting on a stool to eat a meal.
#8117986 - 03/05/15 11:31 AM Re: Speaking of room layouts, kitchen ideas?! [Re: Risky Business]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: SuPeR-MaRiO

Because the kitchen is a mess right now, we eat on that wooden dining room table that c2k posted. I don’t like it, would rather eat in the kitchen like we used to. The left side of the kitchen had a round table with 4 chairs before and that was the main eating area all the time.

Originally Posted By: 4Three

I agree on swapping the counters around range, but for safety you need minimum 15” I think on either side, the piece between range and fridge now is 10”. Unless I shorten the other 30” to a 24” I can’t swap them out.

I see what you are saying on rearranging the cabinets north and south, that will make it way too tight for a seating area.

Here is my attempt at sketching the peninsula that would potentially go on the left side of the kitchen:

I like the idea of eating on a peninsula, but the problem is, it'll take up a good chunk of wasted space. Now I dont know how tall your wife is, but do you think you'd be able to use the center cabinet and reach it?

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads