Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#8109902 - 02/27/15 08:37 AM my experience as a magazine editor
Duc Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: MD
this is not an easy job

while having it's ups, there's a lot of downs. I experienced this with the fourth issue of my magazine (one issue every two months).

an organized layout that flows is paramount. you have to know how to lay out the meat and potatoes along with organizing a flow each and every issue. what may have worked in the last issue doesn't always work in the next issue.

writers, unless they are dedicated, can become frustrating. here's some photos, here's a write up, now publish my article without ever looking back or working with you in a way that shows that they care about their work. ugh. sometimes the photos are edited crappy or they don't mesh well with other edited photos in that issue. too much HDR, photoshop newbies with over exposed pictures, too dramatic in the final the list goes on. article write up is damn near a novel that you as an editor have to cut down to maybe fit on one or two pages.

/rant

..you can NEVER out train a bad diet -- FitExcellence

Visit Sponsors! Help CSi !
#8112770 - 03/01/15 08:57 PM Re: my experience as a magazine editor [Re: Duc]
Nate047 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: La La Land, CA
If anyone told you it would be easy, find them and slap them.

Nate
"Nate047 > NateSTL" - TenTwelve
"As long as I have a face, you'll always have a place to sit." - SlowBlackCar

*insert picture of stock Fit here*

#8112839 - 03/01/15 11:13 PM Re: my experience as a magazine editor [Re: Nate047]
busfare Offline
tickets plz
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Dark Side of the Moon
dude i am impress at how far you've gotten. keep it up man.
#8112852 - 03/02/15 12:02 AM Re: my experience as a magazine editor [Re: busfare]
Nate047 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: La La Land, CA
Yea I am too man, it's not easy starting a new publication. Major props on that. Keep after it and ignore my dumb jokes :P

Nate
"Nate047 > NateSTL" - TenTwelve
"As long as I have a face, you'll always have a place to sit." - SlowBlackCar

*insert picture of stock Fit here*

#8112948 - 03/02/15 08:25 AM Re: my experience as a magazine editor [Re: Nate047]
Duc Offline
Post Master Supreme

It's been fun even with all of the frustrations.

Cold calling and hitting up0 people to be featured has sometimes been a bitch. Sometimes people don't want to go with you even with you being somewhat friends with them due to contractural obligations with their media teams or just the sheer fact of the matter of blowing you off and not believing in you.

That sucks because in the end my main thing is growth for both parties (the subject gaining exposure and me becoming better at what I'm doing).

logging into my magazine account, I noticed that I've achieved over 1,100 views of my magazines (1 teaser issue and 3 full blown issues). that put a smile on my face this morning.

looked at someone's magazine that I looked to for direction today and developed some ideas for art direction, layout, and that I need to step my game up when it comes to content. I just surpassed the 25page mark with my latest issue while they are pushing over 100 pages.

#8113176 - 03/02/15 10:58 AM Re: my experience as a magazine editor [Re: Duc]
Senor Eduardo_82 Offline
miataist
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ca�ada
How are you compensating your contributors?
#8113220 - 03/02/15 11:38 AM Re: my experience as a magazine editor [Re: Senor Eduardo_82]
Duc Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: eddie _82
How are you compensating your contributors?

for the readers of the magazine, I created a contest where 5 readers received a hardcover photobook of some of my best pictures, along with a t-shirt and die-cut sticker for their vehicles.

as far as people who have been in the magazine, the photos have been mine since I do my own photography and they have been given the option to purchase prints of my photographs. the budgets for the shoots, travel, photo editing time are from my own budget. I got picked up by two companies to come out to Utah at the end of this month and shoot for them during easter jeep safari and they mentioned that they would like to pay for content.

two of the people that have been featured in the newest issue stated that they would like to pay for advertisements to help bring in revenue for me to sllow the magazine to be viewed on mobile devices ($40/mobile viewing - ipad/iphone/android/Samsung)

#8113351 - 03/02/15 01:25 PM Re: my experience as a magazine editor [Re: Duc]
Senor Eduardo_82 Offline
miataist
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ca�ada
I was referring to the people who are writing and submitting photos to you.
#8113365 - 03/02/15 01:36 PM Re: my experience as a magazine editor [Re: Senor Eduardo_82]
Duc Offline
Post Master Supreme

this was my first issue where I let people write articles on their own. One group needed the exposure for their club. another person was in seattle and they submitted an article and previous pictures that they had for the reader's ride section. the final article was someone who covered this year's king of hammer's competition for me in Johnson valley, CA but I post edited their pictures for the magazine.

everyone who submitted articles were mainly reaching for exposure. since my magazine is a free magazine at the moment, trying to receive payment for having an article published is non-existent. my photo skills and post-editing skills of these three individuals is a bit more seasoned, so I did my best to try and help them in anyway that I could even though I gave them credit for the photos (but not edit credit) in the magazine

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  jsmonet, x, 2000SiRacer, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads