Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#8060530 - 01/25/15 10:46 AM WWCSID? Promotion -> Boss gets canned (long)
hyper-s2k Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T dot O dot, Canada
Been at the current company for 10 yr. 

(started as level 6 developer - didn't move up for 4 years; switched to a new team; now on my second promotion (to level 8) in 6 years)

This manager that I switched over for. He's a great mentor. Technical and is able to calm me down and explain the politics side of things to me when illogical decisions (by the suits are made). Let's me grow and groom me to deal with the higher ups (he let's me talk to his bosses directly, as long as I looped him in). 

He moved up in ranks 2 years ago (from level 8 to 9), so that allowed me to move up to where I am now (cuz you can't have same job levels report to each other). 

Fast forward to last Wednesday, he gets packaged out (after 17 years), he wanted out for sometime due to the stress and is laughing his way to the bank with the package, so I don't feel bad for him. 

He already has talks going with his old boss (now working at another company) on Thursday, HR called him to ask salary expectations on Friday - lol.   We already joke that wherever he gets settled. I will follow him. 

Now back to my dilemma: my new boss (also a level 9) will absorb our team.  This guy is tough to work with. Nobody has good things to say about him (including me).  He had 4 people on his team quit on him within a year. 

He butts heads with people and is the type to raise issues at the 11th hour to halt implementations to look important. He will argue with his own team on conf calls with others present. 

He butts heads with our team the most because our team gives the final ok to roll out. Always questions our tests and why we didn't run a bunch of (unnecessary crap). 

In terms of career growth -  it's done. I can't move up (other than take his job, which is unlikely and I wouldn't want it). Pay increase to my promotion was minimal; and with how condescending this guy is. He will probably tell his boss I am not worth more pay increases in the next little while. 

The only upside to my job now is (some or all maybe gone with new guy's rules):
1) I have WFH privilege
2) I get parking at the satellite office - which eases my commute pains 
3) My downtown cubicle; it's bright and a relatively big desk; quiet enough for me to work productively. 
4) Bonuses are good at level 8. 

So - WWCSID?

1) stick it out and hope things will change? (ie new boss will actually work with us?) or dare I hope - I get a package too?  (10 years also gives a good package)
2) seek something internally? (there is also a soft rule that you can't move without mgr approval within a year)
3) seek something else externally right away?

And if by the grace of God my good manager can actually take me on in his new job:

1) would you go unconditionally?
2) how much of a pay cut would you tolerate to jump ship?

CN:  good boss leaving, new boss is a douche, I just got promoted. 
WWCSID based on the numbered points above. 
'03 s2k - now @ 80,xxx km - a2a car
'08 535i - sold @ 149,421 km - cashed out just in time!
'08 impreza 2.5i - sold @ - 64,147 km - smh POS
'01 rav4 - killed @ 155,879 km - RIP old friend

"Driving in the snow is like sex. If you want to avoid accidents, abstinence is the best policy. If you're gonna take her for a spin, use protection." - Rick Mercer

#8060559 - 01/25/15 11:27 AM Re: WWCSID? Promotion -> Boss gets canned (long) [Re: hyper-s2k]
SW20_MR2 Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Markham, Ontario, Canada
If you like the company where you're at, stick it out for the year and try to build relationships with people on the teams where you want to go. If you like the company where your good boss is going, then take the leap of faith unless the pay isn't worth it. Bad bosses can make a good job be terrible. They will also not help you grow and move onto bigger and better things.

#8060581 - 01/25/15 11:55 AM Re: WWCSID? Promotion -> Boss gets canned (long) [Re: SW20_MR2]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

Learning to manage a shitty boss is a good skill to have (living that right now). At the end of the day it really depends on how involved your boss is in your day to day work and if you are capable of managing him and not let it affect you and how you feel about work/company/team.

Stick it out, see how it goes, and take it from there. Doesn't make sense to make any rash decisions without living in the circumstance and seeing how you handle it regardless of what other people say about him.

#8060819 - 01/25/15 04:11 PM Re: WWCSID? Promotion -> Boss gets canned (long) [Re: SW20_MR2]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canadistan
 Originally Posted By: SW20_MR2
If you like the company where you're at, stick it out for the year and try to build relationships with people on the teams where you want to go. If you like the company where your good boss is going, then take the leap of faith unless the pay isn't worth it. Bad bosses can make a good job be terrible. They will also not help you grow and move onto bigger and better things.
I like this idea

#8060869 - 01/25/15 04:59 PM Re: WWCSID? Promotion -> Boss gets canned (long) [Re: Euphoricuck]
Lafora Offline
Post Master Sr

Quote:
In terms of career growth - it's done. I can't move up (other than take his job, which is unlikely and I wouldn't want it). Pay increase to my promotion was minimal; and with how condescending this guy is. He will probably tell his boss I am not worth more pay increases in the next little while.

looks like your mind is already made up. We don't really need to input.

Think of it this way. Put yourself in our shoes, you see someone in this situation, would you really advise him to stick around? Fuck no.

On the flip side of the coin, If he always questions your team, why do you guys not smarten up and run those bullshit tests just to save the hassle of having to deal with his dumbass questions later?

#8060892 - 01/25/15 05:27 PM Re: WWCSID? Promotion -> Boss gets canned (long) [Re: Lafora]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto, ON
Being a peasant at a cushy job with safety net, you've already made your grave.

Will you follow your old boss when he lands? I doubt it. You've already mentioned you'll get packaged out at the 10-yr level if, and when, you get packaged out.

Would you ask your old boss for salary + 'something extra', to account for this 'possible payday'? You can't do that...

Clearly, based on your own assessment, you're not ready for management, nor are you ready to be a level 10, whether you're a 'good' boss, or an 'asshole' boss. (I'm not that great of a manager myself, and know it. I've learned to be a better one thru doing, but have yet to be great at the politics side of things.)

Part of enjoying a job, is to manage your boss. We have to deal with assholes all the time; you can't change them. You can manage their expectations, and manage how they perceive you; capable, or incompetent.

Quote:
is able to calm me down and explain the politics side of things to me when illogical decisions

#8061693 - 01/26/15 10:57 AM Re: WWCSID? Promotion -> Boss gets canned (long) [Re: furball]
4age Offline
XD XD XD XD
Post Master Sr

Loc: North York, Ontario, Canada
I'm with Risky.
I don't see any major issues from staying, other than your personal feelings of trepidation with the new boss. As everyone said, managing expectations with difficult people is a worthwhile skill to develop.

In my world, I don't get to pick my clients, and I get difficult and picky clients that actually match your description of the new boss closely. Being able to manage people of that mentality/attitude will make your life much easier. It's a hurtle to overcome sure, but as is anything that's worthwile.

PLUS, you mention things like great pay, office, benefits etc. You've been there for a while, so you have some weight to throw around yourself. I think you have quite the number of options internally at your organization alone. It would not be a wise decision to jump ship just 'cause of this change. Sounds more like a knee jerk reaction.

Plus, moar harder moar better.

XD XD XD XD

#8061909 - 01/26/15 12:05 PM Re: WWCSID? Promotion -> Boss gets canned (long) [Re: 4age]
Screamin Type ARGH! Offline
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T.O. - Canaduh
tell new boss if he's a douche you'll bang his wife...

again

"Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars"

#8062194 - 01/26/15 01:56 PM Re: WWCSID? Promotion -> Boss gets canned (long) [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
phoenixrage Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: People's Republic of Ontario
BURN THE PLACE DOWN

#8062212 - 01/26/15 02:03 PM Re: WWCSID? Promotion -> Boss gets canned (long) [Re: phoenixrage]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

Mow em all down with an AR? </'murican>
#8062570 - 01/26/15 05:35 PM Re: WWCSID? Promotion -> Boss gets canned (long) [Re: furball]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Get on the new managers good side. By that I mean, make him look good and you'll be in his good books, unless he's a complete dbag then all is lost lol.

RB nailed this, that is about the best advice he has ever given here

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d
'02 Rota Grid - 195-55-16FR (RIP)
'04 Volk GTC - 245-35-19F/275-35-19R (Sold to a farm boi)
I thought Spark was a robot from the old movie and I kind of remember seeing him telling some engineer showing the equation for a clear metal that the guy would event years later - porschetr

#8062789 - 01/26/15 08:05 PM Re: WWCSID? Promotion -> Boss gets canned (long) [Re: Hatorade]
Simon_the_Pieman Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: The A
stick it out.
if the job your currently like turns into a job you hate then leave.
people usually move on due to bad management/bosses, not the job itself.

if he is known to be a douche, do his superiors know? are you the type to voice this?
if the company is constantly losing good people that would make the company a better work place and more profitable, they would/should consider removing the cancer...

#8063227 - 01/27/15 08:15 AM Re: WWCSID? Promotion -> Boss gets canned (long) [Re: Simon_the_Pieman]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

I've gotten to a point in my career where ... I just do not want to be pressured into being an asshole myself anymore...

I'm not 100% yet at the 'I just wanna cruise thru life cuz I have grass to mow, kids to feed, etc' with quads like SuperMario ...

But, at the same time, I've got too much to lose to be a pissed off hermit and be negative all the time... and, I'd like to enjoy my time...

#8068743 - 01/30/15 09:04 AM Re: WWCSID? Promotion -> Boss gets canned (long) [Re: Euphoricuck]
A2B-Lexus Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Raptors Land
 Originally Posted By: Euphoric
 Originally Posted By: SW20_MR2
I like this idea

Yup. That or fast track that if you can make good coin going with your old boss to the new place.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads