Page 4 of 7 « First<23456>Last »
Topic Options
#8153779 - 03/31/15 10:10 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Sir Ironpool]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Colorado
 Originally Posted By: Mrs. Ironmom
Great to see you putting in the work man. If you keep it up like this, I think you'll have a great first hundo experience.

They were right on TRN. Those middle training weeks during a big block are hard. I remember having a rough time getting out of bed a few Saturday mornings to get up to the mountains...but I knew that by doing it it would make me stronger come race day.

+1 keep on rocking dude

Do you really have an eight hour training run outside of a race coming up? I don't think my coach will have me go beyond six outside of an event and that seems long enough!

#8154148 - 04/01/15 09:18 AM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: 2000SiRacer]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Loc: Gehenna
Yeah my next 3 weekends look like this:

Saturday: LONG: 2 hours Powerhiking -- Aim to keep 3-4mph pace.
Sunday: LONG: 5-6 hours easy effort. After you warm up, powerhike hard for 1 minute every mile. Last hour is all powerhiking.

Saturday: LONG: 2 hours Powerhiking -- Aim to keep 3-4mph pace.
Sunday: LONG: 6-7 hours easy effort After you warm up, powerhike hard for 1 minute every mile. Last hour is all powerhiking.

Third weekend isn't setup yet but it has the Sunday being an 8 hour effort. Though it will involve lots of power walking as well, not a straight up run hard type of run lol.

The weekly mileage is dropping some due to the weekends going up so high. I've had a random issue here and there, like my hip abductor, so we don't want to stress the mileage too much, hitting 50s weekly seems ok, but 60-70 might be pretty rough on the body.

#8154167 - 04/01/15 09:28 AM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Lividentity
The weekly mileage is dropping some due to the weekends going up so high. I've had a random issue here and there, like my hip abductor, so we don't want to stress the mileage too much, hitting 50s weekly seems ok, but 60-70 might be pretty rough on the body.

Are you doing anything about the hip? Having it look at or anything?

Also, can I ask a somewhat personal question regarding your choice of running routes? I looked at your 24 mile route on Garmin Connect and almost died just imagining it - surely there are other alternatives in your part of the world!!

#8154417 - 04/01/15 11:44 AM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: 2000SiRacer]
Ampsman in Extremis Offline
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Loc: San Jose, Ca, USA
How do you powerhike when you dont have hills?

Paki: 3:36

#8154425 - 04/01/15 11:47 AM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: ampsman

#8154461 - 04/01/15 12:10 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: 2000SiRacer]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

#8154549 - 04/01/15 01:09 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: The OC
I imagine 3-4 mph should be an easy pace to keep, even if feeling wrecked from the earlier week's mileage.

I might also be concerned about the absence of hills but I keep forgetting your 100 miler is a flat course. Loving the updates!
89 Camaro - Sold
CSI. What's your diversion?

#8154846 - 04/01/15 03:53 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Design]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Originally Posted By: 2000SiRacer
 Originally Posted By: Lividentity

Are you doing anything about the hip? Having it look at or anything?

Also, can I ask a somewhat personal question regarding your choice of running routes? I looked at your 24 mile route on Garmin Connect and almost died just imagining it - surely there are other alternatives in your part of the world!!

Haven't done anything, took a few days off and feel fine. If it recurs I'll get more into it. I think it was mostly due to the first day doing some power walking and it being a weird form for my legs. But now they're back to normal and I'm going to get a better form, hence practice!

Well I'm semi-locked into my neighborhood by a 6 lane road, I can go a back way out and get to more areas, but it isn't like I'm in the middle of a city and can go in any direction I want. However, I do the 5 and 7 mile loops to mimic the Keys 100 where I'll be meeting crew and such. So I'm generally only carrying an 8oz bottle with me, might use the 16oz some too though, instead of carrying a backpack with a lot of fluid and fuel. So I kind of like doing these loops, as my race will be very similar to what I'm doing. Obviously the scenery sucks as I've seen it a thousand times, but I run with music, podcasts, audiobooks, etc and just zone it out.

Originally Posted By: ampsman

I'm just walking fast on the road. Exciting? You know it!!!!

Vince McMahon is fucking hilarious, I'm TOTALLY going to do that at the race.

Originally Posted By: Design
I imagine 3-4 mph should be an easy pace to keep, even if feeling wrecked from the earlier week's mileage.

I might also be concerned about the absence of hills but I keep forgetting your 100 miler is a flat course. Loving the updates!

Yeah it is easy, Liza wants it to be actual work with feeling sort of out of breath, so I'm going to be trying to keep at least 4mph. I need to focus on taking shorter strides, more of a very slow jog than a fast walk. When I do the fast walk my form opens up and that's when things get sore, if I keep it short like I run it feels easier. Just gotta get that in my head to be the natural way I do it.

Thanks for the support too! \:\)

#8159005 - 04/05/15 03:53 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Week 11 Recap:

Monday: Off
- Also donated blood today, go me!

Tuesday: 5 miles [RECOVERY: Easy effort.]
- Typical easy run, I notice the first mile or two of most of my runs my calves and/or shins will be sore and then loosen up. Probably because I don't use my roller enough and never stretch.

Wednesday: Off
- Did a kettlebell workout for first time in weeks.

Thursday: 8 miles [RECOVERY: Easy effort.]
- Again easy run, I did decide to make the last 2 miles slightly faster since missed last week's speed session and didn't have one this week, nothing amazing hit a 9:49 for tiny bit faster and was aiming for a 9 min last mile and came in at 9:00:39, thought that was cool, lol.

Friday: Off

Saturday: 2 hours [LONG: 2 hours Powerhiking -- Aim to keep 3-4mph pace.]
- Did this one after getting up with no fuel, just had an ounce or so of Propel before going, odd thing was this made my hands get pretty swollen, unsure what caused it but within 45 minutes of being done I was back to normal, also, did 8.25 miles in 2 hours (14:35 average pace) I did a shorter stride for this than what I had been doing and it worked much better, this felt good and had me just a little out of breath, felt like this was a really good exercise for the race.

Sunday: 5-6 hour [LONG: 5-6 hours easy effort. After you warm up, powerhike hard for 1 minute evey mile. Last hour is all powerhiking.]
- 26.2 miles in 5:40, really happy with this timing, as usual my watch wasn't turned off once and I am sure between my 4 stops I was in my house for at least 15 minutes total. Also, the first 2.5 hours were mostly all running with some power walking, but then the temperature got up above 80 and it was a mix with the last 1.5 hours all power walking. Happy with how this went and it closely mimics what my race strategy is forming to be.

Weekly total: 47.6 miles

Another good solid week of training focusing on the weekend long runs. My race strategy is forming in my head to go from the start around 6am to around 10-11am keeping up about a 5mph pace (including all stops, so running in the 10-11min/mile range) for at least the first 20 miles and then once the heat comes on (after all it is May in the Keys) be doing mostly walking during the day trying to keep close to a 4mph walking pace (not including stops) and then once night falls be able to do more running again. If I can finish the race with an overall 4mph pace that's 25 hours, but I have about 30 hours to do it, so I'm giving myself plenty of buffer there.

#8159071 - 04/05/15 06:01 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
I never trained specifically for walking (other than big climbs in the mountains) but at Leadville, In the wee hours of the morning when it hurt to run, I was able to manage a 13-14 minute pace while walking and was passing people who were attempting to run like they were standing still. It's definitely an important aspect of 100 milers for us normal folks, so it's cool to see her putting that in your plan.

#8159121 - 04/05/15 07:04 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Well you're faster than I am for sure, lol. And also this being a flat road race you don't have those built in slow areas like in a mountain race you have hills so you can walk.

I want to make sure I can keep up a good pace walking for as long as possible. Hopefully I don't die out there! Lol.

#8159164 - 04/05/15 07:52 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Oh, let me be clear....there were no hills by then, but it felt way better to walk briskly at that point than it did to run. Being able to do that efficiently helped me stay way ahead of the cutoffs and kept me in a good place mentally and emotionally.

#8159166 - 04/05/15 07:53 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Lol yeah that's what I'm hoping for, to be sane and not limping, lol.
#8168720 - 04/12/15 05:20 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Week 12 recap:

So this week Liza did MdS and I can't wait to talk to her about it! From what it updated on irunfar she had stomach issues the one day and rested a bit to feel better, dropped her way back but she finished, which is awesome. It is cool to see her take the step back, get herself right and then finish, as compared to some "elites" who will just not finish something if they're 5 minutes behind where they want to be. Anyway, rant over.

- I only made it 3 miles, which makes me feel sad to say, haha. I had an issue with my left shin cramping up, it cramped up so bad at the end of the first mile I had to stop and massage it some, then managed to walk and run and make it 3 miles. The reason I didn't just push through to 5 miles is because I had a fitness test on Thursday so didn't want to mess with that.

Thursday: 1.5 miles [Fitness test for work]
- Goal here was to PR, which is 9:56, I ended up doing 10:25 as during lap 4 my shin started cramping and for the last 2 laps I couldn't even lift my foot right it was cramping so bad. Still made it under my 10:47 cutoff so got excellent!

Saturday: 2 hours [LONG: 2 hours Powerhiking -- Aim to keep 3-4mph pace.]
- 8 miles, half mile in my shin got sore but it went away, was able to do a good pace of almost exactly 4mph, happy with that!

Sunday: 6-7 hours [LONG: 6-7 hours easy effort After you warm up, powerhike hard for 1 minute evey mile. Last hour is all powerhiking.]
- 26.2 miles in 6:25. I power walked the first mile like Vince McMahon to see if my shin would be a problem, felt fine and was good the whole run. I purposefully made this a heat training run, I ran 10am-4:30pm and the temp was 85-90 the whole time. I really only ran during the first 2 hours and power walked all the rest. I was really happy to keep my pace faster than 4mph (my moving time was only 6:11) I had long stops to refuel and get ice in my scarf. I actually had basically every mile that didn't involve a stop at 15:xx pace, which was awesome, though I was stopping every 3 or so miles because when its 90 out ice melts expeditiously.

Weekly total: 38.8 miles

These runs are rough but hopefully next week will be the longest and then have some 4 hour or something runs, its funny to be running for 6 hours and dreaming of running "only" 4 hours, haha. 5 weeks until the Keys!

#8168804 - 04/12/15 06:54 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Holy shit...that hours vs. mileage difference is insane to me!

#8168808 - 04/12/15 06:56 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

You mean taking 6 and a half hours to do a marathon? Yeah man its hot and that saps your strength, plus purposefully walking is much slower than running, naturally, lol.
#8168863 - 04/12/15 07:32 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Good lord man, you already have me beat mentally...theres no way I could handle that. I also assume you don't have kids, theres no way I could get 6 hours during a weekend for a training run.

#8168917 - 04/12/15 08:21 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Nor Cal, Hella hurr durr
Is there any benefit to a runner in going for a long walk?

Just curious /noidea

#8169011 - 04/12/15 09:40 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: stickaz_old]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Yeah being single helps with having time to train, lol.

The benefit for walking is just being ready to do it in the race. I will not be "running" 100 miles, I'll be walking a very large portion of it, especially during the day in the Florida Keys in mid May, going to be a good 90 probably.

So the benefit is just getting used to keeping up a fast pace for many hours, a 15 min pace compared to a 30 min pace is a 2:1 ratio difference and can be the difference of numerous hours.

#8169016 - 04/12/15 09:43 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: stickaz_old]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: zakcits
Is there any benefit to a runner in going for a long walk?

Just curious /noidea

In OP's case, yes...his coach is just trying to get him across the finish line of 100 mile race. She knows that with his limited base, he's going to be doing a lot of walking in that race, so she's getting his body/mind ready to handle it.

I don't see it as a benefit under any other curcumstance, except for maybe active recovery.

#8177462 - 04/19/15 05:18 AM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Week 13 recap:

I know what you're thinking, how can I be doing a recap of a week at 6:15am EST on a Sunday? Shouldn't I run today?! Well my friends I finished my run today before 5:30am, why you ask? How? Am I the biggest idiot ever? All these questions, and more, will be answered below:

- A basic 5 mile run at a 10min/mile pace. Felt good, which was great after last week having left shin cramps.

Thursday: 8 miles [RECOVERY: 4 miles easy, 4 miles powerhike hard]
- First 4 miles in 45 mins and second 4 in 1:03. Took a while but doing 8 miles after a long day at work in Florida heat does that, lol.

Friday: [LONG: 2 hours Powerhiking -- Aim to keep 3-4mph pace]
- Did 7.65 miles in 2 hours, my slowest straight powerhike but that's fine because I felt good and also did 8 miles the day before, again this was after work in some heat.

Saturday: [LONG: 8 hours easy effort. After you warm up, powerhike hard for 1 minute every mile. You can increase the powerhiking ratio after the first four hours]
- And here we come to why I just finished running an hour ago. I decided I wanted to do this run as a night run. It will be cooler than the day so I can get more miles in, I can make sure my night gear works, and is comfortable!

I ran 35 miles in 8:16, though coincidentally with an 8:00:22 move time, just ironic it was almost exactly 8 hours. My plan the whole time was to do 35 miles regardless of time, but I knew I wasn't doing it in 6 hours or something anyway.

I ended up doing my normal 7.x mile loops of the neighborhood with the goal of doing 5 of them. Worked great, last loop I cut out a 1 mile section and hit 35 miles within 100 yards of the house. Funny thing about that is I knew I was close so I watched my watch hit mile 35 then stopped it, because it annoys me when it is 35.01 miles and Garmin Connect adds another lap, anyway, I upload it and the run in 34.99 miles, so I guess they got me good this time.

First loop I started at 9, sun was down for about an hour but surprisingly it was still very humid and warm, wasn't a fun lap.

Second loop went well and I used an ice scarf, though was cooling off.

Third loop was last loop I used the ice scarf as it finally got down to low 70s.

Fourth loop was looking forward to getting past the marathon mark for the first time since my 50k in October 2013.

Fifth lap was a mile run and then a 5 mile walk, so sucked it took longer, walking was like a 17:30 pace, but it was nice to be hitting all those sections for the last time!

This is not only my longest training run but my longest run ever to date. And while I kind of purposefully made it easy doing it in the cool of night, there is nothing easy about pounding out 35 miles for 8 hours on roads. My knee areas are sore, more like the bottom of the quads, the balls of my feet hurt during the run a significant amount and I have no idea how I will do 65 more miles, haha. But hey got 4 weeks to figure that out! \:\)

Oh, by the way:

Sunday: Off [kind of]

#8177777 - 04/19/15 01:24 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

jesus christ \:D

good job man tho \:o

#8178843 - 04/20/15 12:13 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: stickaz_old]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: The OC
Well done.
89 Camaro - Sold
CSI. What's your diversion?

#8179939 - 04/21/15 10:28 AM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

1. Kudos on the epic 35 mile overnight training run! Great prep for Keys
2. I vomited in my mouth after looking at your Garmin Connect map. 5x loops in your neighborhood running down every culdesac and side street?? You can't find better than this?!

#8179958 - 04/21/15 10:37 AM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: 2000SiRacer]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

we've already been through this. He runs in his neighborhood only [often locks himself out] \:D

#8180136 - 04/21/15 12:46 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: stickaz_old]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Now that's unfair, I GET locked out, I don't lock MYSELF out!

I do it because its the easiest way to simulate the race. I can run with just an 8oz or 16oz bottle and hit the house to refuel. I could find somewhere else to run, but don't want to use my pack because its annoying and I won't use it for the race anyway. All I'd be doing is running somewhere else in circles to refuel at my car, here its my house with bathrooms, A/C, cold drinks, etc.

Plus while running I'm pretty zoned out listening to music, audiobooks or podcasts. In fact this 8 hour run I listened to all but about a half an hour of an audiobook, lol.

Thanks for all the support guys! Under a month to go at this point, longest training run behind me and now its becoming real like it is actually going to be here and happen in no time.

#8187123 - 04/26/15 06:22 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Week 14 recap:

Tuesday: 6 miles [HILLS: Do this on the not-as-steep hill. Ladder repeats: 2 x (30sec, 1min, 90seconds, 1min, 30 seconds uphill hard effort and recover on the downhill.)]
- First time doing hills since 3/12. Felt good to get back out and do some! Was tough, as expected. At the bottom of the last repeat got a nice runner's high which had me feeling good. \:\)

Thursday: 5 miles [RECOVERY: Easy effort.]
- Felt good to get out and do some normal mileage, since it felt like all I've done lately are these super long runs, lol.

Saturday: 24 miles [LONG: Warm up. Practice power-hiking 1 minute hard every mile. Use race nutrition and gear exactly. Also eat pre-race breakfast.]
- Took me 5:04 to do this and wanted to do it in 5 hours, so close enough lol. Did this from 8:45am-1:50pm. Started out ok and then got very hot. I think it was about 90 degrees and felt like 95. That slowed me down some but all in all was a good run. I made it 16.5 miles before I walked and then alternated walking and running from then on.

Sunday: 14 miles [LONG: Easy effort]
- I woke up with a headache so I watched some Daredevil on Netflix and once I felt better figured I better get these miles in now or I won't at all. So I left 11:30 and ran for 3.5 hours to get the miles in. Was in hotter today! Got up to almost 95 and feels like 100. Was really rough to be out there. I walked a good amount of it in the heat but still ran an ok amount. Just wanted to get the miles in really, though it was barely a touch over 4mph.

Weekly total: 49 miles

Another hard week over, and now 3 weeks to go! Looking forward to tapering down before the big race and hoping to survive the whole ordeal! The heat lately has made running and wanting to run, very difficult. I will be glad when this race is over and I can not do so much heat training and not need to do 24+ mile runs for a while!

#8187190 - 04/26/15 07:21 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Congrats on yet another solid week of training. I don't think you'll have any problem dealing with the mental struggles of running a hundo, and it looks like your body is gonna be pretty damn well prepared as well!

I'm about to head out for 10+ to cap off a pretty good week that started with Boston. I was running again after just 2 days off so I'm pretty happy with 50+ miles for the week. Plan is to hit it hard next week then do a short half-ass taper for Quicksilver 100k in 2 weeks.

#8187220 - 04/26/15 07:47 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Thanks man. I'm sure hoping to be prepared! Doing what I can. \:\)

Only 2 days off for marathon is crazy good. Guess you got some damn good recovery! I feel like every run my calves and shins start off sore and loosen up after a mile or two.

#8196015 - 05/03/15 11:17 AM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Week 15 recap:

Tuesday: 5 miles [HILLS: Warm up 1 mile and then 10-15 x 30 seconds uphill hard effort. Recover on the downhill. Remaining time easy effort -- Do this on the STEEP hill.]
- Day started off raining and was supposed to rain all day, instead, in typical Florida fashion, it got super hot, so ran this after work and only managed 11 times up the hill, I just didn't have the energy for it that day and was glad to do as much as I did.

Thursday: 7 miles [RECOVERY: Easy effort.]
- First time running in a new pair of shoes, got another pair of Altra Instinct 3's to change into for the race, want to get some miles in them. This run sucked, I was going a little harder than I should have in new shoes and my calves and shins let me know for the first 2 miles, after that got a little better.

Saturday: 18 miles [LONG: Warm up. Practice power-hiking 1 minute hard every mile. Eat pre-race breakfast.]
- I ended up not doing any of the notes, lol. I had so much to eat on Friday I didn't need to eat beforehand, I also didn't walk at all. I ran the 18 miles in 2:51 total, did it in the morning before it was 90 degrees out making it harder to run. See, not all of my long stuff is walking at 4mph pace.

Sunday: 5 miles [RECOVERY: Easy effort.]
- Did this in the morning again and in 45mins, nice even 9 min pace, felt really good again. Love this weekend's weather!

Weekly total: 35 miles

I will admit the taper is nice, to only do 18 miles on Saturday was such a nice reprieve from the 24+ I've done for 5 weeks straight, and a 21 before that, whew. Plus the weather being nice in the morning was a nice change and allowed me to actually be able to do a good pace. I'm not Boston fast but doing 18 miles at a 9:30 pace (including 2 quick pitstops for fuel) is nice. I'm hoping this summer to do some shorter stuff and get some speed back.

The race is now 2 weeks away and I feel really good about it. I feel confident in my ability to finish the race. I think I have everything bought and this upcoming week will be doing a lot of extra work getting things together for my crew as well.

#8205617 - 05/11/15 08:33 AM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Week 16 recap:

Tuesday: 8 miles [SPEED: Include 3 x 1 mile hard effort with 50-90% interval time as recovery in between. Include 2 miles of powerhiking]
- My 3 hard effort miles were 8:13, 9:17 and 8:46. Doing this after work in 85 degree heat really drained me, I wish it was still February's weather! I also walked the last 2 miles at 4mph pace which felt good. Had some left calf soreness on this run as well.

Wednesday: 4 miles [Powerhiking -- Warm up easy jog and then powerhike hard 3 miles. Let me know the pace]
- Did a 10 min/mile warm up and then walked 3 miles at about 4mph pace. Again super hot, as usual, lol.

Thursday: 6 miles [HILLS: Warm up 1 mile and then 10-15 x 30 seconds uphill hard effort. Recover on the downhill. Remaining time easy effort -- Do this on the STEEP hill.]
- Cut this run short to 4.4 miles. I actually did this around 3pm in the afternoon because I had to be at a work site about 2 blocks away from this hill, so when I finished there I went and ran. Kind of a mistake doing it in the middle of the afternoon in May in Florida, but oh well. I did 10 repeats up the hill and did some warmup and cooldown running. Figured that was enough, I had drank an entire Propel and had nothing else to drink and had no desire to slog out 1.6 more miles just to say I did it.

Saturday: 11 miles [Long: Easy effort]
- Did this in 1:52:45, a 10:15 pace. Felt good, just a nice easy run in the morning before it was too hot.

Sunday: 5 miles [RECOVERY: Easy effort]
- Did this in 48:05, 9:34 pace. Felt good, again. I like doing my runs at 7am before its too hot, I can actually keep up a normal pace and not push too hard.

Weekly total: 32.5 miles

This is my final full week of training. This upcoming week is 6 miles Monday, 3 miles Wednesday and 2 miles Friday then the race itself is on Saturday!

17 weeks of training leads up to the race. I feel confident and ready, so now its just a few days of waiting. \:\)

#8205668 - 05/11/15 09:23 AM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Nice job dude! I shared a few miles at my race yesterday who has done the Keys a couple of times...placing pretty high. He just did Brazil 135 and is going back for his second Badwater this year.

#8205982 - 05/11/15 11:53 AM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Damn. That guy must like running in the heat! I'd prefer not to, but its what Florida gives me, lol.
#8213364 - 05/16/15 08:37 AM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Best of luck man! I can't wait to hear all about it!

#8215825 - 05/19/15 07:56 AM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

I will write up a longer post, but just wanted to update while at work.

I made it 53 miles before calling it quits. I was just about to go over a 7 mile long bridge and wouldn't have made the cut off at the end of the bridge. Between my back and legs hurting I wasn't quite holding a 3mph walking pace at that point, so decided instead of trying to get across the bridge and get pulled I'll just pull myself there and let myself and my crew get home.

Was still a horrible, and awesome, experience where I learned a lot and that knowledge will help me moving forward. \:\)

Still really happy with having done 2 marathons! Even if it doesn't come with a belt buckle, lol.

Page 4 of 7 « First<23456>Last »

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads