Page 1 of 7 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#8057511 - 01/22/15 08:41 PM My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?)
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Loc: Gehenna
A little bit about my past with running: I have been running for 3 years now and have been enamored with ultras for the past 2 years. I have run 1 50k, and while that was great, I've been wanting to run a 100 miler for a while. I realized recently that each time I race a half-marathon I think it is kind of easy, though granted I'm not trying to PR every race, but I feel like I can go out any day of the week and run a 2 hour half. I've done 2 marathons and they've not been the best of times, but I felt like with some help I'd be able to do better at running long distance. I have no real desire to run marathons, I don't care about running Boston, or winning a race, but the idea of going out there and running 50, 62, 100, etc miles calls to me.

What I am really interested in is doing 100 milers. I've been very inspired by the guys on this forum to do this. You guys have all gotten so damn fast and good at doing any type of running that it really makes me want to try more.

After my last marathon in December I said I never wanted to race that distance again. And I did mean it, but this is mostly because my left hip hurt a lot from that race, and I have an issue with my right big toe hurting while running. I decided screw it, I'm going to strengthen myself, get better at running distances and do my dream of running 100 milers.

So I signed up for coaching with Liza Howard (I think she's awesome and a rockstar) via Ian Sharman's coaching services. I just got done with my first Skype call with her and I am signed up for 6 months of coaching pre-paid. I will have my first training block of roughly the next 2 weeks tomorrow.

I'm super fucking excited and stoked about this and want to make this year awesome. I think her coaching and guidance will help me fix issues with my running and most especially get me the right training I need along with help on the nutrition/fueling/hydration aspect that I am not very good at.

I am signing up for 3 races this year, the Keys100, Cremator 100 (back-to-back 50s Saturday/Sunday) and the Javelina Jundred. My goals will be simply to finish the Keys100 and not hate the idea of running 100 miles. Finishing the Cremator day 1 looking forward to day 2 and then finishing day 2 alive (lol). My "A" race will be the Javelina Jundred and my goal will be to go sub-24 hour.

If anyone is interested in knowing why I decided to go with a coach when I'm semi-new to running (3 years isn't really a long time), new to ultras and it also costs money the answer is simple to me. It's about education, experience, guidance, motivation, feedback. I'm not looking to get over a "hump", I'm not looking to go win an ultra, I'm looking to be able to finish an ultra and enjoy the experience, the whole way from training run 1 to the end of the race, and the after race. One of the main reasons I want to do Javelina Jundred is directly related to Liza Howard, I read her race report, saw she set the course record and it sounded awesome. This was 2 years ago. Now I have the chance to have her coach me to run that race? Nothing, literally nothing, could be more awesome than this.

I will update this post with my training for this. If you guys have anything you have questions on, comments to make, etc, please feel free to do so. I'm hoping that this is not only a great experience and journey for me but perhaps I can help some of you guys out with some motivation, and heck I can ask Liza Howard (and through her Ian Sharman and Ellie Greenwood) questions if anyone wants, I mean hello!

#8057600 - 01/22/15 09:57 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Nor Cal, Hella hurr durr
And the realm of the sane loses another \:\(

Lol j/k

I'm very scared for your toenails (and nipples)

#8057613 - 01/22/15 10:08 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: stickaz_old]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
Best of luck man. I think you're insane for jumping from one 50k straight to a hundo, but I'm also a fan of following ones instincts. As long as you can safely put in the training required, I'm sure you'll do fine.

#8057676 - 01/22/15 11:30 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: The OC
I see you drank the purple Kool-Aid. Best of luck man.
89 Camaro - Sold
CSI. What's your diversion?

#8057805 - 01/23/15 08:08 AM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Design]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Thanks for the encouragement guys! Waiting to get my first training plan, but I do know on it will be a 5 mile run today, so its my first coached run ever! \:\)

I've never lost a toenail before, nor even gotten one all black or anything. So maybe it will finally happen, that's the sign of a true runner right? Lol.

I also already am making a list of stuff I'll need and put on it bandaids for my nipples, I've never done it before, but when I run 20+ miles they bleed at times, so maybe running 100 miles might be worthy of bandaids lol.

#8057926 - 01/23/15 09:09 AM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Colorado
 Originally Posted By: Lividentity
I am signing up for 3 races this year, the Keys100, Cremator 100 (back-to-back 50s Saturday/Sunday) and the Javelina Jundred. My goals will be simply to finish the Keys100 and not hate the idea of running 100 miles. Finishing the Cremator day 1 looking forward to day 2 and then finishing day 2 alive (lol). My "A" race will be the Javelina Jundred and my goal will be to go sub-24 hour.

Um, holy shit balls dude

I'm all for stretch goals and pushing limits but you're signed up for a 100 miler 16 weeks out with plans to run a second 100 under 24 hours later this year.

God bless you man.

Stickaz, don't mourn the loss, this man was clearly never a citizen of the realm of the sane

EDIT: and I don't mean to come off as discouraging man. You can definitely hit all your goals this year. They're just some of the most aggressive running goals I've seen in awhile. I'm glad you have a coach who can keep you from getting hurt while ramping up so quickly.

Edited by 2000SiRacer (01/23/15 09:11 AM)

#8058155 - 01/23/15 11:07 AM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: 2000SiRacer]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

I'm kinda surprised a coach would sign on with goals that ambitious.

But hell she works for Sharman, and we all know that guy makes horrible choices when it comes to his athletes.

#8058173 - 01/23/15 11:20 AM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

I was expecting someone to come bust my balls at some point, haha.

I'm not exactly coming from no running background going into this. While not ridiculous I did run 1400 miles last year, and yeah I got 4 months to train for the 100. The course has a 30 hour cutoff and I am perfectly fine using up 29 hours and 59 minutes if that's what it takes to do this. My first one will certainly not be easy, lol. But I am fully confident I will be able to do it.

Also, these aren't the "hardest" ones, there is essentially no elevation on the Keys100, after all it is Florida. Not like I'm trying to run sub-24 on Hardrock with only a few months training.

I guess we'll find out if my goals are too aggressive or not. I already paid for the coaching, so I'm going to go full on into it, its all on me to do it or not do it. \:\)

Will make post later with my first couple of weeks of training, looked over it and there is some speed and hill workouts that I haven't done so that'll be interesting.

#8058285 - 01/23/15 11:59 AM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
Ampsman in Extremis Offline
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Loc: San Jose, Ca, USA
I dont know what kind of coach would let someone run three 100's in a year after only running one 50k before, sounds irresponsible. Build a base and get in some 50's first.

Paki: 3:36

#8058286 - 01/23/15 11:59 AM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

I'm actually scared of ever doing a flat 100miler. I like having lots of excuses (hills) for walk breaks. \:D A flat course would make me feel very guilty, lol.

#8058307 - 01/23/15 12:05 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Sir Ironpool]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

I'm afraid to bike a flat 100 miler

#8058340 - 01/23/15 12:13 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Sir Ironpool]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Mrs. Ironmom
I'm actually scared of ever doing a flat 100miler. I like having lots of excuses (hills) for walk breaks. \:D A flat course would make me feel very guilty, lol.

I talked to a couple people who have done flat loop 100 milers and they said it wrecked them for a long time. With trail 100's you are mixing up the terrain and using different muscles, with a flat 100 you are just pounding the same muscles over and over. You need to be in very, very good shape to do them.

#8058351 - 01/23/15 12:15 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

I'm kinda surprised a coach would sign on with goals that ambitious.

But hell she works for Sharman, and we all know that guy makes horrible choices when it comes to his athletes.

I was expecting someone to come bust my balls at some point, haha.

I'm not exactly coming from no running background going into this. While not ridiculous I did run 1400 miles last year, and yeah I got 4 months to train for the 100. The course has a 30 hour cutoff and I am perfectly fine using up 29 hours and 59 minutes if that's what it takes to do this. My first one will certainly not be easy, lol. But I am fully confident I will be able to do it.

Also, these aren't the "hardest" ones, there is essentially no elevation on the Keys100, after all it is Florida. Not like I'm trying to run sub-24 on Hardrock with only a few months training.

I guess we'll find out if my goals are too aggressive or not. I already paid for the coaching, so I'm going to go full on into it, its all on me to do it or not do it. \:\)

Will make post later with my first couple of weeks of training, looked over it and there is some speed and hill workouts that I haven't done so that'll be interesting.

Again, let me preface this by saying I'm really not trying to be a ball busting discouraging dick. But coming off a 50K and 1,400 miles last year to running a 100 miler in 16 weeks? Followed by another one the same year? Like Chris I'm surprised Liza would accept those goals as prudent.

This sport is great because it brings such a diverse group of people and goals together...but 100 miles is just hard and I don't understand the push to do it so soon (not that my understanding your goals is important here). Why not run a 50 first? A 50 miler is a BIG step up from a 50K. And the jump from 50 miles to 100 miles is a much, much larger step. (People like to say a 50 miler is like two 50ks and a hundred miler is like four 50 milers). 1,400 miles last year isn't what I'd call a huge base for a 100 mile buildup. For the sake of comparison I ran 1,550 miles the first 10 months after I started running and then I built up for 6 months from there to my first 50. And it was still tough.

I'm not saying it's impossible and I really hope you go out and crush it...but just be careful. You're setting yourself up for injury in a big way. Going from 25 miles/week in 2014 to triple that or more in 4 months is unnecessarily hard on your body but you do you.

#8058355 - 01/23/15 12:16 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: ampsman

I talked to a couple people who have done flat loop 100 milers and they said it wrecked them for a long time. With trail 100's you are mixing up the terrain and using different muscles, with a flat 100 you are just pounding the same muscles over and over. You need to be in very, very good shape to do them.

Yeah, fuck a flat pavement 100 miler. I'd be less scared of Hardrock than that shit. I'd be destroyed by mile 50.

EDIT: you need to be in really, really good shape to do them well but they're easy to go out hard, blow up at 60 and then walk in for 40 miles. Just miserable but easier to beat cutoffs haha

Edited by 2000SiRacer (01/23/15 12:24 PM)

#8058378 - 01/23/15 12:25 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: 2000SiRacer]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

what's it like DNF'ing when you're like 40+ miles from nowhere btw? just curl up in a ball and wait to die?

#8058381 - 01/23/15 12:26 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: stickaz_old]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: zakcits
what's it like DNF'ing when you're like 40+ miles from nowhere btw? just curl up in a ball and wait to die?

Speaking from experience? You get in your crew's car and curl up in the back seat and feel bad for yourself

But that wasn't really 40 miles from nowhere. There are races where you really can't drop in parts. And if you do you just have to sit there and try not to get hypothermic until they can get you out hours later.

#8058456 - 01/23/15 12:50 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: 2000SiRacer]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

I get the whole a flat 100 sounds tough because mentally you think you can run the whole thing. And that's something I'll have to work on, I don't train walking, I just go out and run. So I'll be taking a different approach with this.

I know it is ambitious, and possibly dumb. But that's life, I have these goals and I want to stick to them. I have no idea if I'll be able to finish, but I feel confident I can. Time will tell.

This is why I got a coach though, to get everything best for me and tailored to me. I'll be updating this with my runs and how everything goes.

I am fully expecting the race to be difficult and suck, lol. Again, this is just another reason I got a coach, experience is helpful.

#8058472 - 01/23/15 12:56 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

Again, this is just another reason I got a coach, experience is helpful.

I'm going to see Ian next weekend and I'm going to tell him Liza just took on a client with these goals and that he should have a good sit-down talk with her

Good luck, sir - I'll be following along with great interest!

#8058498 - 01/23/15 01:11 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

I think you might be underestimating how much that first 100 is going to take out of you. Yes, you will likely finish it, but there is no way you have enough training time before that race to prepare you for the recovery of that kind of effort. Even if you avoid an actual injury, you are going to be destroyed. Shit, I ran somewhere around 1500 miles in the 7 months leading up to Leadville and it took me almost 6 weeks to feel like running again.

Why not do a couple 50k's then a 50 miler and finally Javalina? These races aren't going anywhere.

I get the whole a flat 100 sounds tough because mentally you think you can run the whole thing. And that's something I'll have to work on, I don't train walking, I just go out and run. So I'll be taking a different approach with this.

I know it is ambitious, and possibly dumb. But that's life, I have these goals and I want to stick to them. I have no idea if I'll be able to finish, but I feel confident I can. Time will tell.

This is why I got a coach though, to get everything best for me and tailored to me. I'll be updating this with my runs and how everything goes.

I am fully expecting the race to be difficult and suck, lol. Again, this is just another reason I got a coach, experience is helpful.

#8058510 - 01/23/15 01:15 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: 2000SiRacer]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

I've always wanted to do an ultra.
Alas my feet protest if I crack 15 miles in a week, let alone 1 run!
back to my moderately slow/quick 10kms....

And I'd never do a flat anything. Hell I don't want to even do a marathon, but trail running for hours? taht sounds fun as shit.

/never ran for more than 3 hours on or off road

Oh, and I'd listen to the experienced guys here about too much/too fast

Edited by dirtyS13drifta (01/23/15 01:16 PM)

#8058529 - 01/23/15 01:23 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Sir Ironpool]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

Why not do a couple 50k's then a 50 miler and finally Javalina? These races aren't going anywhere.

+1

Still get to run a hundred in 2015 but you'll have time to prepare for it. Win-win

#8058564 - 01/23/15 01:35 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

The mental parts the easy part, we are telling you that you will be physically destroyed.

#8058565 - 01/23/15 01:36 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: 2000SiRacer]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Originally Posted By: 2000SiRacer
Again, this is just another reason I got a coach, experience is helpful.

I'm going to see Ian next weekend and I'm going to tell him Liza just took on a client with these goals and that he should have a good sit-down talk with her

Good luck, sir - I'll be following along with great interest!

Haha, awesome! He should know who I am, I'm the guy who had a ton of issues getting Chase QuickPay to work with him.

The reason I'm doing the 100's is because I have a desire to do them. The 50k/50m versions of the races I'm doing don't interest me. I realize I may just be sealing my own fate, so to say, but, again, that's life. This is what I have my mind set to do and I'll be doing my best to achieve these goals.

I don't want to start doubting myself and second-guessing it. I plan to stay focused and stay positive.

#8058579 - 01/23/15 01:44 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Well plan on building your mileage slowly and doing a 100, then see if you like it and sign up for more then. You dont like marathons, dont have a desire to do 50k's or 50 milers but you think you will like 100's? I dont know man.

#8058589 - 01/23/15 01:48 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

The reason I'm doing the 100's is because I have a desire to do them. The 50k/50m versions of the races I'm doing don't interest me. I realize I may just be sealing my own fate, so to say, but, again, that's life. This is what I have my mind set to do and I'll be doing my best to achieve these goals.

I don't want to start doubting myself and second-guessing it. I plan to stay focused and stay positive.

You keep saying "that's life" with a shrug so I'm going to be ampsman levels of direct. Your plan and race schedule for 2015 is the ultra equivalent of this:

Ultrasignup: what kind of season would you like?
You: just fuck me up

There is no way for you to get physically prepared for 100 miles in May. Period. Not based on what you've told us anyway. You are about to throw yourself down the stairs of pain and suffering and injury and regret.

And that's cool. It's your life, your body and your staircase. But you're just begging for trouble when Ironmom had a great idea that lets you reach your same goals responsibly.

I like to think there are no right or wrong paths - lots of different ways to reach the same goal - but I think it's clear you don't fully understand what you've signed up for and I'm shocked your coach hasn't told you. But it sounds like you're committed to doing it no matter what so I'll shut up now and mind my own business and cheer you on from the sidelines. If you start seeing things differently in a couple months it's not too late to focus on Javelina instead.

Godspeed you crazy bastard.

#8058596 - 01/23/15 01:52 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: ampsman
Well plan on building your mileage slowly and doing a 100, then see if you like it and sign up for more then. You dont like marathons, dont have a desire to do 50k's or 50 milers but you think you will like 100's? I dont know man.

How does one not have a desire to do 50 miles after doing one 50K? I pulled up that race report and would like to quote your ending Livid:

Quote:
I feel really proud of how I’ve improved my times in just the matter of a year. I want to take at least a week off of running entirely, but not sure what I want to do next. I really want to scale back my mileage, as I was running so much for this 50k it became more of a chore and it wasn’t fun anymore. I got busy and skipped a few of my long (20+ mile) runs, partly from being away and busy and partly because I didn’t want to do them anymore. The only running goal I currently have is to do a sub-1:40 half, I just think it would be cool to do a half-marathon in under 100 minutes, no real other reason for this goal.

http://forums.clubsi.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Main/313381/Number/7325552#Post7325552

THIS WAS THREE MONTHS AGO!! Training for a 50K became a CHORE and you didn't want to do them anymore?? So you skipped long runs?!

Are you trolling us hard right now?

#8058698 - 01/23/15 02:54 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: 2000SiRacer]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

sounds like me tho. I change my mind like every other month. Right now I'm trying to nationally qualify in age-group sprints. I wish I were kidding \:\|

I think its ok to have multiple goals and change your mind a lot

#8058720 - 01/23/15 03:08 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: stickaz_old]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

This isnt sprints bro, this is being on your feet for possibly 30+ hours.
We are trying to do damage control.

#8058836 - 01/23/15 03:55 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

I get what all you guys are saying. And I appreciate the input and advice. The 50k I did was in October of 2013, so it was almost 16 months ago. Which is a long time and I'm a different person and runner since then.

I'm going to give it a few weeks to build up into. I'm not signed up for the Keys100 yet. And there is a 50 mile version of it. So I want to see if I feel over the next few weeks that I'm good with the mileage I'm doing and can build on it to be prepared for the 100, if not I can change my racing ideas. The 50 doesn't interest me very much, but the Cremator in July is 6 months of training and 2 months after the Keys100. I already had the thought of doing the Keys100 as a 50miler then the Cremator will be 100.

I decided I'd rather go after the race(s) that interest me more. But since I'm not signed up for Keys100 yet I can decide to re-evaluate that and go for the 50miler. They actually apparently are adding a 50km version as well this year.

And I also just started this coaching, literally first talk last night and doing first run of 5 miles today. I'll contact her and see what she thinks. She didn't say anything last night about it. My guess is because she figures she can get me through the race alive, which is what I want, and if I'm determined to do that race specifically then that's what we should aim for.

#8058845 - 01/23/15 04:02 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

I get what all you guys are saying. And I appreciate the input and advice. The 50k I did was in October of 2013, so it was almost 16 months ago. Which is a long time and I'm a different person and runner since then.

I'm going to give it a few weeks to build up into. I'm not signed up for the Keys100 yet. And there is a 50 mile version of it. So I want to see if I feel over the next few weeks that I'm good with the mileage I'm doing and can build on it to be prepared for the 100, if not I can change my racing ideas. The 50 doesn't interest me very much, but the Cremator in July is 6 months of training and 2 months after the Keys100. I already had the thought of doing the Keys100 as a 50miler then the Cremator will be 100.

I decided I'd rather go after the race(s) that interest me more. But since I'm not signed up for Keys100 yet I can decide to re-evaluate that and go for the 50miler. They actually apparently are adding a 50km version as well this year.

And I also just started this coaching, literally first talk last night and doing first run of 5 miles today. I'll contact her and see what she thinks. She didn't say anything last night about it. My guess is because she figures she can get me through the race alive, which is what I want, and if I'm determined to do that race specifically then that's what we should aim for.

Ah, I totally missed that was in 2013. So no big races in 2014?

And can we talk about why the 50 miler doesn't interest you at all? I understand that 100 is the big goal but not even doing 50 as a stepping stone? It's a big jump up from 50K and you'd gain a lot of valuable experience that'll help you when you go for 100.

I've never run a marathon and I've never run a road race but Ian may have me race a couple road marathons as part of training and I'll happily do it because it's moving me towards goals I am interested in.

#8059185 - 01/23/15 07:02 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: 2000SiRacer]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Not really, I did a marathon in December, which went pretty well actually. I just had a pain in my hip that slowed me down at the end, but I kept right up at a 9 min pace for at least 18 miles. If not for my hip bothering me I think I could have kept that up. Perhaps I should have had more fuel though too.

I dunno, some 50's interest me, just not the 50's for the races I'm targeting. Again, it isn't that I won't do a 50 though. I'm going to ask Liza what she thinks, if I'm being too aggressive/unrealistic or not.

There are plenty of people that jump race distances, 5k to marathon, or marathon to 50, etc. As you said you've never done a marathon but have gone out and done utlras. I realize having only done 2 marathons and 1 50k the jump to 100 miler is quite large. It is longer than all 3 of those races combined, lol.

Here's some of my thoughts/reasoning on why doing a 100 miler 16 weeks from now should be doable:
I did my 50k training straight out of Relentless Forward Progress. Looking at their 100 miler training it is 24 weeks long whereas I have 16 weeks as of tomorrow. I realize that is cutting 8 weeks off but at week 8 of their training they've been hitting 14-18 mile long runs. I've been keeping my running up since my marathon and the past 3 weekends were 12, 12, half marathon, along with another half marathon this weekend. My weekly mileage has been closer to 25 than the 40 that plan has, but with 16 weeks to go I think that's a manageable difference right now.

So it isn't like I'm starting from scratch. Plus having a coach and a tailored plan will be better than a generic run X on day Y plan, I think. So that's why I don't think I'm being too insane with the idea of running a 100 miler in May.

Again, I do appreciate all the thoughts, ideas and feedback guys. Please keep it up.

#8059580 - 01/24/15 03:21 AM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: The OC
I really do think you're going to knock out that 100 miler. But I also think it will add some perspective on both your training and recovery.

To Stickaz' point, nothing wrong with reevaluating goals after each race.
89 Camaro - Sold
CSI. What's your diversion?

#8059709 - 01/24/15 11:40 AM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Design]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

First week of training:

This was only Friday to Sunday, so not a full week, and I already had a half-marathon on my schedule. So Friday was a slow 5 miles, Saturday is a slow 2 miles and Sunday is a half-marathon.

Second week of training:

This gets more interesting and slightly different runs than I have done before.

Monday: Off
Tuesday: Goal is 5 miles - SPEED: Easy effort 1 mile, Ladder Intervals: 1min, 2min, 3min, 2min, 1min, hard effort, recover for equal time as interval between each, Remaining time easy effort
Wednesday: 7 mile Recovery
Thursday: Goal is 4 miles - HILLS: Warm up 1 mile and then 8-10x 20 seconds uphill hard effort. Recover on the downhill. Remaining time easy effort
Friday: Off
Saturday: 5 mile Recovery
Sunday: 10 mile - LONG: Easy effort to progression. Last 5 minutes at 1/2 Marathon Pace (1/2MP)

I can hopefully get the Saturday and Sunday runs in as prescribed as I will be visiting friends/family for the Superbowl. I've never done this style of Speed and Hills, only done normal .25, .5, 1 mile repeats and just up and down hills without specific hard effort on it.

Onto the question of doing the 100 milers, I asked Liza her opinion on it, if I was being too aggressive, setting myself up for failure, etc.

She said with the Keys100 having a 32 hour cutoff (they do a semi-staggered start so it might be like 31.5 hours or something) you can do basically a 19 min mile for the whole race. So, basically, if you walk a 20min pace the whole way you're real close to finishing, if you just run part of it you'll be ahead. If you show up to the race with a good fueling strategy and being fit you have a high chance of finishing.

What we decided is to train for the Keys100 for the next month or so and see how I'm doing, if I'm doing well and able to do more we will continue to aim for the 100 miler, if it makes sense to swap it to the 50 miler, or even 50k, we can also do that. Hopefully the race doesn't sell out by then!

Thanks for all the input guys, I want to do the 100miler, but I take your advice very seriously as you guys have been in it and done it, whereas I'm new. I do read a lot of stuff, I read Ultra Runner Podcast everyday and have for the past couple of years, along with listening to their podcasts, so I'm not completely ignorant on the subject, but again I haven't done it myself to see how my body works and reacts to it.

#8059710 - 01/24/15 11:41 AM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

So that's why I don't think I'm being too insane with the idea of running a 100 miler in May.

Again, I do appreciate all the thoughts, ideas and feedback guys. Please keep it up.

I'm sitting here with Relentless Forward Progress and I was going to ask whether you're following up those Saturday long runs with 5-10 miles on Sundays and blah blah blah but clearly you've made up your mind and there's nothing left to do but go for it. To be blunt, your plan is insane but you can totally do it. Just listen to your body and don't take yourself out for the season with an injury because you're chasing this first goal. I've been there and it totally sucks and it's not worth it even a little bit.

PS are you on Strava or Garmin so we (read: I) can stalk your training and be a cheerleader?

#8059718 - 01/24/15 11:45 AM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: 2000SiRacer]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

Whoa, we posted within 40 seconds of one another

Good stuff man. I guess that's another question I have about it...do you want your first 100 to be a walkathon at 20:00/pace just to finish under the cutoff? Totally cool if you're so focused on the goal that you want to finish 100 any way you can but god that's a long time to be walk/jogging. Maybe that's part of the disconnect here - I would personally prefer to focus on Javelina and plan on running as much as possible and shooting for a solid time. To me running 50 would be more engaging and probably better training/preparation than walking most of 100.

And those ladder intervals in week two? yikes! I think Ian takes it easier on me when it comes to speed work

Page 1 of 7 12345>Last »

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads