spd-dmn Offline
Post Master

i called it as soon as the first store opened
#8046224 - 01/15/15 08:15 AM Re: target closing in canada [Re: spd-dmn]
Screamin Type ARGH! Offline
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T.O. - Canaduh

mexx too (cdn), vas and i gonna hit up the 70% off store closing deals by end of Feb \:D

"Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars"

#8046225 - 01/15/15 08:16 AM Re: target closing in canada [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
JEFFOS Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto
I feel bad for the people that left their old jobs to go there. I know quite a few people that work there

#8046227 - 01/15/15 08:17 AM Re: target closing in canada [Re: JEFFOS]
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: JEFFOS
I feel bad for the people that left their old jobs to go there. I know quite a few people that work there

+1

#8046231 - 01/15/15 08:19 AM Re: target closing in canada [Re: spd-dmn]
4age Offline
XD XD XD XD
Post Master Sr

Loc: North York, Ontario, Canada
Source for those wondering: http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/target-c...tores-1.2901618

You called it, but so did a number of consultancies. Target hired a number of agencies to do a review and they were told that their Canadian operations would fail, plan was too aggressive and their timelines too stringent.

And now this!!!

XD XD XD XD

#8046239 - 01/15/15 08:25 AM Re: target closing in canada [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
Big Tasty Offline
Post Master Supreme

Whoa that sucks.
#8046245 - 01/15/15 08:33 AM Re: target closing in canada [Re: 4age]
JEFFOS Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: 4age
Source for those wondering: http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/target-c...tores-1.2901618

You called it, but so did a number of consultancies. Target hired a number of agencies to do a review and they were told that their Canadian operations would fail, plan was too aggressive and their timelines too stringent.

And now this!!!

Also their competitors are pretty smart and aggressive themselves and wouldn't just let a new entrant grab market share at will.

They did make a lot of mistakes on their end though.

#8046246 - 01/15/15 08:33 AM Re: target closing in canada [Re: Big Tasty]
TheRealCSnapper Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto, Canada
while i don't shop there often, i've always enjoyed shopping there.
#8046259 - 01/15/15 08:37 AM Re: target closing in canada [Re: JEFFOS]
4age Offline
XD XD XD XD
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: 4age

And now this!!!

Also their competitors are pretty smart and aggressive themselves and wouldn't just let a new entrant grab market share at will.

They did make a lot of mistakes on their end though.

I know Wally was upping salaries in response to Target entering the market to retain talent. Shrug.

What's worse is that Target employees were not notified of this until today--despite there being a press release last Thursday. For the loss. (Wife works there).

XD XD XD XD

#8046270 - 01/15/15 08:42 AM Re: target closing in canada [Re: 4age]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto, ON
Wasn't there talk some time last year about how their product management team f'd up the whole 'ideal Canadian consumer', assuming they had the same tastes as that of an 'ideal American consumer'? I recall reading that... (they used an American product manager or some shit...)

I kinda liked the emptiness and brightness of their stores ... Though their 'bargain bins' front and centre near the checkout lines were a sign ...

Edited by furball (01/15/15 08:43 AM)

#8046283 - 01/15/15 08:46 AM Re: target closing in canada [Re: furball]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto, ON
Getting out of their anchor store lease at the foot of York street is gonna be massive rapage at the Cosby scale...

http://www.blogto.com/city/2014/03/massive_new_target_store_coming_to_downtown_toronto/

http://www.thestar.com/business/real_est...re_in_2016.html

Quote:
the two-storey Target store will anchor the entire retail portion of Menkes Developments’ Harbour Plaza. As well, Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan (HOOPP) is a partner in the 35-storey tower at One York Street, not a partner in the entire project.

Edited by furball (01/15/15 08:47 AM)

#8046285 - 01/15/15 08:46 AM Re: target closing in canada [Re: furball]
4age Offline
XD XD XD XD
Post Master Sr

^ahahaha I have no idea.
Much of the management is from the Murican team, and one of the primary internal issues is that they were running their Canadian operations like their US one--because it "works". But heeeeeey, this be Canada, son. And improper decision making led to their demise.

Funny things go on in there...such as using a primary competitor's distribution center for goods.

XD XD XD XD

#8046287 - 01/15/15 08:48 AM Re: target closing in canada [Re: furball]
porschetr Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: WBridge
Been there twice because none around my area.
Both times walked out empty handed.
They didn't have American Target products I was looking to get and stuffs weren't priced well

#8046292 - 01/15/15 08:49 AM Re: target closing in canada [Re: porschetr]
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

they didn't do their homework re. canadian consumer and got burned (and they didn't listen)

#8046312 - 01/15/15 08:56 AM Re: target closing in canada [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canadistan
obviously. The places are ghost towns when you go in there. Which is why I love going there rather than walmart \:\|

#8046318 - 01/15/15 08:58 AM Re: target closing in canada [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
spd-dmn Offline
Post Master

the only reason i called it was because i knew canadians were expecting US target prices with higher quality merchandise and that was just notgonnahappen.

i am very curious to know this "big" difference between cdn and us consumers though...

other than pricing, what was the miscalculation in terms of consumer insights?

#8046326 - 01/15/15 09:01 AM Re: target closing in canada [Re: spd-dmn]
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

I'm gonna open a congee queen inside one, mad bidnezz.

#8046349 - 01/15/15 09:06 AM Re: target closing in canada [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
Simon_the_Pieman Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: The A
i actually liked shopping at target.

#8046356 - 01/15/15 09:09 AM Re: target closing in canada [Re: spd-dmn]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: spd-dmn
the only reason i called it was because i knew canadians were expecting US target prices with higher quality merchandise and that was just notgonnahappen.

i am very curious to know this "big" difference between cdn and us consumers though...

Agreed,

I don't think it was as much of a miscalculation on their end as it was an extremely poor roll out/marketing strategy.

I know they had a media blast, but commercials on tv = people shopping there, at least IMO, nothing was effective on bringing people into the store.

I've never even been in a target

To compete at that retail level you either have to promote rock bottom pricing (which isn't their business model anyway and wally world would crush them in that respect) or you have to provide something of value...which again is impossible to do that that level of common retail. There isn't room for another retailer like that imo.

#8046361 - 01/15/15 09:11 AM Re: target closing in canada [Re: Simon_the_Pieman]
Senor Eduardo_82 Offline
miataist
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ca�ada
It's just a ploy. The gov't will bail them out.
#8046364 - 01/15/15 09:12 AM Re: target closing in canada [Re: spd-dmn]
JEFFOS Offline
Post Master Supreme

Canadian customers do work and respond differently than the US

#8046368 - 01/15/15 09:13 AM Re: target closing in canada [Re: JEFFOS]
JEFFOS Offline
Post Master Supreme

Word on the street is they had lots of supply chain and store quantity issues... I don't know for sure I'm just guessing.

#8046372 - 01/15/15 09:14 AM Re: target closing in canada [Re: JEFFOS]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Word on the street is they had lots of supply chain and store quantity issues... I don't know for sure I'm just guessing.
The places are stacked full of product with little or no shoppers. Everytime I go in there its like a private shopping trip for me and only me

#8046385 - 01/15/15 09:16 AM Re: target closing in canada [Re: Euphoricuck]
JEFFOS Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Euphoric
The places are stacked full of product with little or no shoppers. Everytime I go in there its like a private shopping trip for me and only me

But is it the right product? Imagine you get everything you need except 3 items so you have to go somewhere else to buy those? Hassle right?

Imagine you go in to buy 1 specific item that's a great deal that's promoted. That's all you came in for - imagine they didn't have it? Annoying right?

#8046391 - 01/15/15 09:18 AM Re: target closing in canada [Re: JEFFOS]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

But is it the right product? Imagine you get everything you need except 3 items so you have to go somewhere else to buy those? Hassle right?

Imagine you go in to buy 1 specific item that's a great deal that's promoted. That's all you came in for - imagine they didn't have it? Annoying right?
inorite
happens at every store...especially in the gta.

#8046406 - 01/15/15 09:21 AM Re: target closing in canada [Re: Euphoricuck]
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

loved how quiet it was vs wallymart. wifey and i go there with the baby, just roam around grab whatever you need in peace. barely checkout lineup. pricing was decent on certain items, sometimes very good if on sale. reg priced stuff nothign special.

#8046407 - 01/15/15 09:21 AM Re: target closing in canada [Re: JEFFOS]
spd-dmn Offline
Post Master

i hear this all the time, and i see it in the car market, but what is the big difference in the retail goods market

i know theres big CS differences, and we let businesses get away with a lot more than US customers.. wat dat lawsuit mentality deww

but i still havent seen any concrete evidence of such a massive rift in consumer sentiment when it comes to buying

#8046424 - 01/15/15 09:30 AM Re: target closing in canada [Re: Euphoricuck]
4age Offline
XD XD XD XD
Post Master Sr

There is the problem of comparison shopping (US vs Canadian prices) always.
What Canadian consumers don't understand is the cost of logistics is much, much higher in Canada vs the 'states, so prices would never be equal.

I'm not certain the Target issue was ever pricing though (in reality). There may have been the perception of Target being expensive, but Target always priced stuff the same as Walmart for the equivalent product. + Price matching. + many promotions that were way cheaper. Ppl just didn't bother going to the store. It's always a ghost town there and for that, I do not know why.

Yes, there were supply chain issues up front, but many of those were resolved later on...and despite resolution, the stores were still ghost towns XD

XD XD XD XD

#8046430 - 01/15/15 09:33 AM Re: target closing in canada [Re: spd-dmn]
4age Offline
XD XD XD XD
Post Master Sr

i hear this all the time, and i see it in the car market, but what is the big difference in the retail goods market

i know theres big CS differences, and we let businesses get away with a lot more than US customers.. wat dat lawsuit mentality deww

but i still havent seen any concrete evidence of such a massive rift in consumer sentiment when it comes to buying

Canadian vs US spending and buyer profile has always been an issue, and is widely studied since forever in the B2C world.

http://www.ats-sea.agr.gc.ca/can/5645-eng.htm

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/12/30/canadian-american-spending_n_4519051.html

XD XD XD XD

#8046447 - 01/15/15 09:41 AM Re: target closing in canada [Re: 4age]
JEFFOS Offline
Post Master Supreme

There is way more than that.

I wish we knew a retail exec, they probably would know about this topic.

#8046456 - 01/15/15 09:43 AM Re: target closing in canada [Re: JEFFOS]
Senor Eduardo_82 Offline
miataist
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ca�ada
I'm gonna head over to RFD and see what the experts have to say.

\:\|

#8046459 - 01/15/15 09:44 AM Re: target closing in canada [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
JEFFOS Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Screamin DC2R

loved how quiet it was vs wallymart. wifey and i go there with the baby, just roam around grab whatever you need in peace. barely checkout lineup. pricing was decent on certain items, sometimes very good if on sale. reg priced stuff nothign special.

Yeah it's good for the customers that are there but every customer has an average basket spend per visit. You can only get this number so high because everyone has only so much money.

You can increase number of trips per year which is good but you can only do that so much on average (and food and consumables does this the most a which target was only half in). So you biggest bet is getting more people into the stores.

Nobody in the stores? Kiss of death.

#8046468 - 01/15/15 09:52 AM Re: target closing in canada [Re: JEFFOS]
SW20_MR2 Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Markham, Ontario, Canada
We never went to the Canadian store, but even the U.S. one wasn't anything special to us.

#8046492 - 01/15/15 10:01 AM Re: target closing in canada [Re: JEFFOS]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Nobody in the stores? Kiss of death.
ya dont say...

#8046495 - 01/15/15 10:01 AM Re: target closing in canada [Re: Simon_the_Pieman]
iamfob Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Out There
 Originally Posted By: Simon_the_Pieman
i actually liked shopping at target.

Page 1 of 6 12345>Last »

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads