Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#7997075 - 12/07/14 09:10 PM Too good to be true? v. Camera Bodies on ebay
MetalheaD Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Roanoke, VA
Ok, Santa Claus was VERY good to me. I don't mean he brought me presents early, I mean I just had two great weekends taking pics of screaming kids with Santa Claus. So, it looks like I might finally be able to purchase a second camera body, which I really need. I've been doing more and more work where I'm committed to the deal and will suffer a big loss if I can't deliver. I need a second body in case of failure.

So I've been looking all over the web and I keep seeing Canon bodies posted on eBay and other sites for significantly less than the going price on Amazon or B&H. The listing is very clear that this was a kit camera and the kit has been split into lens and body and sold separately. Usually it states that it's not eligible for any rebates.

If this was real, I'm not sure I'd have a problem. I'm ok with no rebate. I don't care about the box. I'm unclear on what the warranty status of such a unit would be. I'm guessing not covered.

Does anyone know any details on these things?

Visit Sponsors! Help CSi !
#7997171 - 12/07/14 11:56 PM Re: Too good to be true? v. Camera Bodies on ebay [Re: MetalheaD]
tenplanescrashing
Unregistered

Cameta Camera was trustworthy at one point, but i'm not sure if i'd go to eBay for anything anymore. It's just not worth it.

If it is cheaper than what is available through Adorama/BHPhoto/Amazon/etc., it's likely either refurb'd, grey market, or just an untrustworthy reseller.

Not worth it for a minimal savings.

#7997185 - 12/08/14 12:38 AM Re: Too good to be true? v. Camera Bodies on ebay [Re: ]
busfare Offline
tickets plz
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Dark Side of the Moon
as far as i know, the camera is covered. i won a camera once, and an official Canon suit handed it to me. i asked about the warranty, and they said it's covered even w/o a receipt. i even contacted CPS via email and they confirmed.

otherwise, if you want legit savings, canonpricewatch.com. then click on the "street price" links. a guy will forward your info to his source, and they in turn will contact you to sell you the thing you inquire about. i just did it w/ a 70-200 lens and it was a legit store here in town that called me up. they just can't publicly advertise the price. rebates still work too.

and of course, the cheapest is usually the loyalty program.

#7997343 - 12/08/14 08:42 AM Re: Too good to be true? v. Camera Bodies on ebay [Re: busfare]
tylerdurden Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Shyea, like I'm telling you
How much savings are we talking about here?
#7997378 - 12/08/14 09:18 AM Re: Too good to be true? v. Camera Bodies on ebay [Re: tylerdurden]
MetalheaD Offline
Post Master Supreme

5D MIII for like $2400.

#7997791 - 12/08/14 12:37 PM Re: Too good to be true? v. Camera Bodies on ebay [Re: MetalheaD]
Senor Eduardo_82 Offline
miataist
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ca�ada
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321303090364

Grey market, seller has a very high rating, seller offers a 1yr warranty same-as-manufacturer.

#7998197 - 12/08/14 03:26 PM Re: Too good to be true? v. Camera Bodies on ebay [Re: Senor Eduardo_82]
MetalheaD Offline
Post Master Supreme

What exactly is the grey market? Did it "fall off the back of a truck" or what?

Also, what's the deal with the import version vs. the US version?

#7998201 - 12/08/14 03:27 PM Re: Too good to be true? v. Camera Bodies on ebay [Re: busfare]
MetalheaD Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: busfare
otherwise, if you want legit savings, canonpricewatch.com. then click on the "street price" links. a guy will forward your info to his source, and they in turn will contact you to sell you the thing you inquire about. i just did it w/ a 70-200 lens and it was a legit store here in town that called me up. they just can't publicly advertise the price. rebates still work too.

This looks promising!

#7998345 - 12/08/14 05:09 PM Re: Too good to be true? v. Camera Bodies on ebay [Re: MetalheaD]
tylerdurden Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Shyea, like I'm telling you
 Originally Posted By: MetalheaD
5D MIII for like $2400.

Damn, that's a grand off. I might be willing to roll the dice, I've never had a warranty claim on any body I've ever had.

#7998486 - 12/08/14 06:41 PM Re: Too good to be true? v. Camera Bodies on ebay [Re: MetalheaD]
skierd Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Fairbanks, AK

Pretty sure grey market is an import model sold in the US "unofficially" by a US reseller.

#7998643 - 12/08/14 08:19 PM Re: Too good to be true? v. Camera Bodies on ebay [Re: tylerdurden]
MetalheaD Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: tylerdurden
5D MIII for like $2400.

Damn, that's a grand off. I might be willing to roll the dice, I've never had a warranty claim on any body I've ever had.

That's my thought, their stuff is pretty solid. But the refurb option looks good too, I think you just have to camp out and check that site daily for when they have one available.

#7999810 - 12/09/14 05:05 PM Re: Too good to be true? v. Camera Bodies on ebay [Re: MetalheaD]
Wildout Offline
Post Master Jr

http://www.canonpricewatch.com/ is legit

I missed out on a 70-200 f2.8 mkII canon refurbish for $1495.99 I'm still mad about it.

#8000061 - 12/09/14 08:05 PM Re: Too good to be true? v. Camera Bodies on ebay [Re: skierd]
chef Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: The OC
 Originally Posted By: skierd

Pretty sure grey market is an import model sold in the US "unofficially" by a US reseller.
occasionally a grey market unit is denied service by the manufacturer, and definitely no warranty. The best explanation I heard was different countries may have different quality standards during production.
Order my photo prints (New files uploaded)

#8001309 - 12/10/14 02:13 PM Re: Too good to be true? v. Camera Bodies on ebay [Re: chef]
Wildout Offline
Post Master Jr

Just missed out on the 70-200mm again for $15xx.xx

Fuck!

#8008726 - 12/16/14 10:36 AM Re: Too good to be true? v. Camera Bodies on ebay [Re: Wildout]
01Ryan10 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Orange, CA.
I think you're better off buying a body from someone on...

fredmiranda or photo-on-the-net

Buy from a seller that has a somewhat high post count. I've bought several lenses from people on PotN, and never had a problem.

#8009705 - 12/17/14 01:02 AM Re: Too good to be true? v. Camera Bodies on ebay [Re: MetalheaD]
Senor Eduardo_82 Offline
miataist
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ca�ada
http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/12/canon-usa-addresses-the-gray-market/
#8017270 - 12/22/14 11:07 PM Re: Too good to be true? v. Camera Bodies on ebay [Re: chef]
NOT spotch... Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: chef
 Originally Posted By: skierd

occasionally a grey market unit is denied service by the manufacturer, and definitely no warranty. The best explanation I heard was different countries may have different quality standards during production.

I've asked around, and apparently Canon never does this. They reserve the right to, as there's no documentation saying they have to warranty other nation's cameras, but apparently they always treat shit from other countries just like it was from America when it needs warranty work. Not sure it will be like that forever, that's just based on the searching around and asking I've done on the subject over the past 6mo-1yr.

#8017279 - 12/22/14 11:14 PM Re: Too good to be true? v. Camera Bodies on ebay [Re: Wildout]
NOT spotch... Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Wildout
Just missed out on the 70-200mm again for $15xx.xx

Fuck!

Yeah, you're going to miss out on that forever I think. For a while I was watching the refurb site obsessively, with periods of time where I was refreshing every few minutes for hours at a time. I've been on there *right* when they update the 'in stock' shit and seen how fast some of that stuff disappears, and for shit like the 70-200 it can literally be seconds. Like, by the time you've clicked it and proceeded to checkout, it's already gone by someone who clicked add to cart a few seconds before you or was on a slightly faster internet connection. Shit's cray.

#8018059 - 12/23/14 01:34 PM Re: Too good to be true? v. Camera Bodies on ebay [Re: NOT spotch...]
busfare Offline
tickets plz
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Dark Side of the Moon
Did OP buy a camera or wut
#8021162 - 12/27/14 11:33 AM Re: Too good to be true? v. Camera Bodies on ebay [Re: busfare]
MetalheaD Offline
Post Master Supreme

Still mulling it over, but right now I'm leaning towards the refurb body direct from Canon. They're down to $2479.

#8073212 - 02/02/15 11:59 AM Re: Too good to be true? v. Camera Bodies on ebay [Re: MetalheaD]
Voltron Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Not Found
I'd get the refurb over a grey market. at least you get a warranty for 90 days.
Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  jsmonet, x, 2000SiRacer, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads