Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#7930970 - 10/25/14 11:04 AM Re: CSI, what would you pay for this? [Re: ]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

That looks pretty solid, I am currently using carpet tiles....until I find something local to replace them with.

In terms of the rack i am strongly considering welding some tubing so I can store my plates on the rack. It would take up less space than getting a tree and it should make the rack feel even sturdier.

Thoughts?

#7931681 - 10/26/14 08:15 AM Re: CSI, what would you pay for this? [Re: Risky Business]
Flipped
Unregistered

I don't know. Seems like the weights would be in the way then and I'm not sure where you could put them on there without interfering. You'll be moving the safety bars and J hooks around and walking around the cage. Plus they're decently sturdy without without needed stability.

I didn't want a tree either, for the same reasons. So I put them on the wall.

Old picture but the weights are still there. I didn't have any choice at the top/bottom mounting because the windows throws off the stud positioning vs where I needed the weights.

I guess you could get by with less but I wanted the weights "filed" so I didn't have to search through stacks.

#7931995 - 10/26/14 01:56 PM Re: CSI, what would you pay for this? [Re: ]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

From a functionality point of view, I love your solution. From aesthetics there is no way I will rig up something like that doe

What tubing did you use to have the plates sit on? Got a close up? I might fab up something like this out of metal.

What oil did you lube up the shaft with for the lat pull down thing?

#7932013 - 10/26/14 02:08 PM Re: CSI, what would you pay for this? [Re: Risky Business]
Flipped
Unregistered

I'm on the road but it's easy.

2x6 boards
3/4 threaded metal pipes of different lengths per weights and qtys
3/4 floor flanges with wood screws

Use a 3/4 hole saw on the boards and run the pipe thru the holes and screw the flanges on the back side.

Basically this screws into the back side of those 2x6s and the pipes run thru the board and screw into it. Cost me well over 200 to make because the pipes and fittings are expensive.

Holds the weights well. No sense that the wall is struggling to support them. Of course I put the heaviest closest to the floor.

#7935046 - 10/28/14 09:23 AM Re: CSI, what would you pay for this? [Re: ]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Flipped
I don't know. Seems like the weights would be in the way then and I'm not sure where you could put them on there without interfering. You'll be moving the safety bars and J hooks around and walking around the cage. Plus they're decently sturdy without without needed stability.

I didn't want a tree either, for the same reasons. So I put them on the wall.

Old picture but the weights are still there. I didn't have any choice at the top/bottom mounting because the windows throws off the stud positioning vs where I needed the weights.

I guess you could get by with less but I wanted the weights "filed" so I didn't have to search through stacks.

So a few days in and I am noticing I have an issue with my bench, I can't do incline. When I adjust the bench for incline bench press, it's too far from the back of the squat rack and I can't lift the bar and move it forward. I've had to resort to putting the bar at the front of the rack to do incline, but then that defeats the whole purpose and the safety bars are now useless.

I can cut and reweld the bench to give it more clearance so it can slide further back into the rack or I can get a new bench or just keep doing incline from the front of the rack?

#7935061 - 10/28/14 09:27 AM Re: CSI, what would you pay for this? [Re: Risky Business]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canadistan
forget safety bars for incline.

just do it from the front.

#7935086 - 10/28/14 09:36 AM Re: CSI, what would you pay for this? [Re: Euphoricuck]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Incline is the one exercise I *need* safetys, it's the only exercise that makes my shoulder give off a pop once in a while that trips me out. GNSP
#7935329 - 10/28/14 11:52 AM Re: CSI, what would you pay for this? [Re: Risky Business]
Flipped
Unregistered

I'm really confused at what you're describing. Can you take a pic?

My setup there is so adjustable I can put the safety bars anywhere.

Is your cage too close to the wall? I had to pull mine away to clear for squats and incline.

#7935385 - 10/28/14 12:24 PM Re: CSI, what would you pay for this? [Re: ]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

If you setup your bench for incline, that automatically moves your body forward by approximately 6 inches.

When the bench is flat and I am in the cage doing flat bench press, I can lift off the bar without any issues and start getting swole. When I raise the bench for incline and my body moves 6 inches forward, the back of the cage is now too far and my bench is far back as it can go, which restricts me from doing a proper lift off.

#7935398 - 10/28/14 12:31 PM Re: CSI, what would you pay for this? [Re: Risky Business]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Yellow line is the distance of how far back the bar is when the bench is in an incline position. When it's flat, my body is much closer to the back of the cage thus making lift off a nonissue.

#7935411 - 10/28/14 12:38 PM Re: CSI, what would you pay for this? [Re: Risky Business]
Impulsive Online   nohc
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Edmonton
Can you rotate the bench 180 degrees and rack the weight on the front/inside of the cage?

#7935417 - 10/28/14 12:39 PM Re: CSI, what would you pay for this? [Re: Impulsive]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

notbadobama.gif Will try that tonight

I am probably one of the few with this issue because i have the lat attachment at the back, otherwise most people just put bench over where my lat thing sits.

#7935427 - 10/28/14 12:41 PM Re: CSI, what would you pay for this? [Re: Risky Business]
Flipped
Unregistered

That's a bulky bench.

Plus vs mine my front lower cage cross bar is not on the ground like yours, so my bench leg can actually slide under it some. I'm not even sure my bench would work there either.

Only suggestion I have is looking into another bench. I would suggest raising your cage but that cable attachment might make that too difficult.

Or perhaps just use DBs for incline?

#7935432 - 10/28/14 12:43 PM Re: CSI, what would you pay for this? [Re: Impulsive]
Flipped
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Impulsive
Can you rotate the bench 180 degrees and rack the weight on the front/inside of the cage?
that's not going to work, I don't think.

#7935435 - 10/28/14 12:45 PM Re: CSI, what would you pay for this? [Re: ]
Impulsive Online   nohc
Post Master Supreme

Actually, you could just slide the bench further forward and use the front inside.

I remember messing with this shit a few times trying to get it right.

#7935465 - 10/28/14 12:55 PM Re: CSI, what would you pay for this? [Re: Impulsive]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Impulsive
Actually, you could just slide the bench further forward and use the front inside.

I remember messing with this shit a few times trying to get it right.

That was my initial thought as well and I tried it, it was kind of weird lifting off and going backwards and then setting the barbell forward when done. It's easy to do with light weight, but liftoff with heavy weight and going backward is very difficult.

#7935516 - 10/28/14 01:13 PM Re: CSI, what would you pay for this? [Re: Risky Business]
Flipped
Unregistered

Could devise a j hook mount extension.
#7935696 - 10/28/14 02:55 PM Re: CSI, what would you pay for this? [Re: Risky Business]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canadistan
 Originally Posted By: Risky Business
the only exercise that makes my shoulder give off a pop once in a while
hrmm maybe you should reevaluate including it. dont want to snap your shit up

#7935800 - 10/28/14 03:46 PM Re: CSI, what would you pay for this? [Re: Euphoricuck]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Euphoric

What about swole patrol doe, need incline styll

#7935905 - 10/28/14 05:01 PM Re: CSI, what would you pay for this? [Re: Risky Business]
Flipped
Unregistered

Silly idea that, since you're considering welding, to devise a custom J hook? Basically longer arms.

Or find a bench with a smaller footprint.

#7935947 - 10/28/14 05:37 PM Re: CSI, what would you pay for this? [Re: ]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

elaborate....i don't understand the J hook. I don't want to extend longer pieces out of the cage as that will put too much weight on those holes/wouldn't feel same and i am sure it will buckle.
#7936259 - 10/28/14 08:29 PM Re: CSI, what would you pay for this? [Re: Risky Business]
Flipped
Unregistered

J hooks is a bad term because our cages have something a bit different.

But I mean something like this.

#7936504 - 10/28/14 10:55 PM Re: CSI, what would you pay for this? [Re: ]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
That stick figure needs to bulk up.

#7936967 - 10/29/14 09:25 AM Re: CSI, what would you pay for this? [Re: Risky Business]
WNDYCTYone Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: CHICAGO
 Originally Posted By: Euphoric

What about swole patrol doe, need incline styll
Fuck, just do incline flys then. I'd be worried about popping my shoulder out, lol.

PS4 - ChicagoGOBLUE

#7937195 - 10/29/14 10:29 AM Re: CSI, what would you pay for this? [Re: WNDYCTYone]
Impulsive Online   nohc
Post Master Supreme

I simply do incline dumbell presses. Incline bench with the cage is a PITA like Risky is noticing, so I just do flat bench.

#7937232 - 10/29/14 10:40 AM Re: CSI, what would you pay for this? [Re: Impulsive]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

I am leaning that way as we speak. I tried a million different combinations with the bench, the only way is if I put the bar at the front of the cage and do the exercise without safetys, just need to go with less weight or go to dumbells.

THe J hooks that OB1 posted seem like they would work, but the faux engineer in me says that if I have 200lbs+ (even more if you drop the bar down) extended over a foot away it may not be safe over a period of time (non commercial squat racks are made of much thinner steel gauge compared to what's in that pic - commercial grade by the looks of it) so I don't feel comfortable doing that.

#7937446 - 10/29/14 12:30 PM Re: CSI, what would you pay for this? [Re: Risky Business]
Impulsive Online   nohc
Post Master Supreme

Just get your wife to spot you on occasion.

#7937455 - 10/29/14 12:32 PM Re: CSI, what would you pay for this? [Re: Risky Business]
Flipped
Unregistered

Well those pictured can be bought. Whether or not they'll fit I don't know.

Ironmaster site.

#7938136 - 10/29/14 06:35 PM Re: CSI, what would you pay for this? [Re: ]
Flipped
Unregistered

Well...I got home and snapped some pics. Assuming our cages are similar in size the IM bench wouldn't improve your situation.

Flush with what WOULD BE a floor crossbar.

Roughly how I need it.

This tells me those longer bars I posted above might work.

Also, since you asked...but also because you could probably make your own J-hook bars with these. They look like they might fit the cage holes perfectly.

#7938144 - 10/29/14 06:42 PM Re: CSI, what would you pay for this? [Re: Risky Business]
Flipped
Unregistered

What oil did you lube up the shaft with for the lat pull down thing?
Hmmmm...are you referring to my Ironmaster cable attachment in the corner of the pic I posted that's similar to your attachment? If so mine doesn't require lube...it's lined with an insert to keep it from "grabbing". That was sort of what I was talking about when I said I didn't like the cable attachment for those cages based on reviews. They looked like they might have "smooth flowing" issues or just feel awkward.

#7941498 - 10/31/14 01:08 PM Re: CSI, what would you pay for this? [Re: ]
Flipped
Unregistered

Also got to thinking...you have plans to ever do decline bench? You're going to have the same problem most likely.
#7941727 - 10/31/14 02:37 PM Re: CSI, what would you pay for this? [Re: ]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

I can do decline no problem with the bench + setup right now.
#7941874 - 10/31/14 03:40 PM Re: CSI, what would you pay for this? [Re: Risky Business]
Impulsive Online   nohc
Post Master Supreme

In honor of this thread, I did incline without stops. No problem completing the set, but I didn't account for some slight slippage on the bench, so I could barely reach the stops. I ended up having to roll down to crotch, then turn it into a dead lift to escape.

#7944589 - 11/03/14 10:35 AM Re: CSI, what would you pay for this? [Re: Impulsive]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Over a week of this setup at home I have to say it's the best money I've ever spent in terms of fitness. I absolutely love having a garage gym, I will never attend a regular gym again. Even my wife started doing some lifts with me (thanks bro science) and she generally hates any sort of weight training.

Quick break down for anyone considering doing this and the associated costs:

Rack + Lat pull down attachment = $350
300 lbs weight set with olympic bar and ez curl bar = $200
Bowflex adjustable 10lbs - 90lbs dumbells = $350
Bowflex adjustable bench = $100

Still need a few things here and there, but for ~1k, this is a no brainer.

#7944753 - 11/03/14 11:45 AM Re: CSI, what would you pay for this? [Re: Risky Business]
Flipped
Unregistered

I didn't get away that cheap but even spending double/triple that is worth it. It will always pay itself back when you consider cost of gym, gas/car wear, time spent traveling and waiting on machines extra bought drinks/food etc.

That said I miss the womenz and a few options like the water park for the kids (our gym had one) and I know my wife misses the classes.

Throw in some benefits of playing music with headphones, TV or whatever else you need around the house during it all....there really are no remarkable negatives.

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads