Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#7864840 - 09/14/14 11:37 PM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: Design]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Nor Cal, Hella hurr durr
3 weeks out and I made the distance for the first time in my life. Feeling really pwnt if I were to be honest about it. Jumped in the pacific after and it felt glorious for some reason. My watch says I did 13.2 in 2:20 or about 10:30 pace (my long slow pace per the plan I'm following) strava thinks I did it in 2:28 but I did stop for water a couple times and a few traffic lights and pee break \:D

Looks like ill make it, still have a shot at sub 2hr I guess but I'm not so sure

#7865291 - 09/15/14 10:12 AM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: stickaz_old]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

I'd guess you'll crack 2. LSRs are way different than race. And even if you don't crack 2, you've made great progress building up to doing that sort of distance(especially for not being a runner)

Great job man, rooting for you.

#7865311 - 09/15/14 10:20 AM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: stickaz_old]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: RI
How did you feel this morning? Beaten up?

still have an EM1--go figure

#7865350 - 09/15/14 10:35 AM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: gamby]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: The OC
Good job man!
89 Camaro - Sold
CSI. What's your diversion?

#7865545 - 09/15/14 11:54 AM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: gamby]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: g@mby

let's see , left calf doesnt seem to extend all the way right now, I cant really bring my left heel to the ground without a bit of discomfort \:D

my right foot, possibly as a consequence when I left UP hurts a bit

my left hip/leg extender whatever its called [up near my waist] hurts a bit when I extend my leg/attempt to walk lol. Wow thats new. I felt it a bit on miles 10+ or so yesterday.

basically I could whine some more but I think thats a good list \:D \:D

I did not bike to work today but not because I didnt think I could do it but because I have to bounce between a ton of buildings and meet with people today. Am subtly limping unless I've been sitting for a while, then definintely limping. So in other words I think I'm functional heh. Will masters swim tonight but I'll probably cramp on the very first lap of the first kick set.

#7866054 - 09/15/14 02:14 PM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: stickaz_old]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canadistan
 Originally Posted By: stickaz

Looks like ill make it, still have a shot at sub 2hr I guess but I'm not so sure
dude you can do sub 2 hr

#7866145 - 09/15/14 02:47 PM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: Euphoricuck]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

I think I can but I'd be averaging my 10K PR from May/June [the first time I ran that distance in 15+ yrs] for a bit over 2x the distance \:D

I'm going to try and GPS-watch-pace-force myself to make it with an ever so slight negative split.

Eg:
9:30 mile 1 [traffic/mob allowance]
9:15 mile 2-3 [call it a warmup]
9:08-9:10 mile 4-10] [at goal pace]
9:00 or less miles 10-13.1

will sneak me under 2H
avg needs to be 9:09/or less/mile. Which I realize is not fast. But I'm basically a couch to N distance runner. I ran ~30 miles in all of 2013, and I'm sitting at 350 on the year for 2014.

what do you guys think of that plan? also I dont glance at my watch much [maybe every quarter mile or so to check the pace], and I guess the course itself has a nice fat clock at the halfway point so I should be at/around 1h when I hit it. Otherwise I guess its just make it up as I go along--even at a steady pace [??] my GPS watch has me bouncing all over the place from like 8:30 to 9:30 and everywhere in between. I have to wait for the end of a mile to get my split [should have bought the 220 watch hah instead of the 210]

Plan B of course is to keep the 2H pacer group in sight and to pass them at mile 10 if I can. I'm kinda thinking this should be plan [A] as long as my watch agrees they arent going out to fast and seem to be on pace. [I heard they screw up sometimes, but probably not in this slow of a group]

#7866324 - 09/15/14 04:19 PM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: stickaz_old]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
Personally. I don't like pace groups. Your putting your race in somebody else's hands and they're notorious for doing a horrible job.

If I were you, And I really wanted that sub 2:00, then I'd set my watch to show average pace (not current) and not even look at it till it beeps at each mile (or half mile if it's capable of that). Know what your fail safe pace is, and don't go below that. Don't try to bank time, don't try to negative split. Focus on running an even, smart, and consistent race. Your first mile or three will be faster than intended, and it will feel really easy, but don't fall for thinking that will last. Ease back to that pace you decided on, focus on your form, breathing and not getting tripped up by other runners.

Congrats on a successful long run! That will be a confidence booster come race day.

#7866460 - 09/15/14 05:20 PM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: Sir Ironpool]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

cool, my watch is kinda basic so I'll play around with it and see if it can do something like that. It definitely has 'avg' pace, so that can work I bet. Just a little worried that if I fall like 30 to 60s off of pace towards the end that I wont notice until its too late \:D

#7866550 - 09/15/14 05:53 PM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: stickaz_old]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Chris's advice is spot on, even pace is considered more efficient than varying.

Hell, just time yourself, IIRC every effing mile is marked. I've never had GPS on a race. Your effort is your best guide.

#7866573 - 09/15/14 06:09 PM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: ]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

is it really a 'varying pace' to spot myself +21s the first mile for traffic/mob start and then the next 2 a +6s to 'settle in' followed by a dead-on goal pace the next 7-8 and a slight [-9s] negative split for the final 5k-ish?

what I'm reading suggests that is the PERFECT way to PR an ET

#7866582 - 09/15/14 06:20 PM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: stickaz_old]
Ampsman in Extremis Offline
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Loc: San Jose, Ca, USA
what do you mean negative split the final 5k? Splits are halves.

Paki: 3:36

#7866585 - 09/15/14 06:25 PM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

each mile in the final k I am to run at a slightly-faster-than-avg-goal pace [9s/mile]. Forgive me for misusing the term. I suppose it works out the same though. Not seeing the 'extreme variance' of 20s longer in the first half vs 20s shorter in the 2nd half tho \:D [in a 2 hour race!]

we're talking about 0.03 mph difference \:D

as in ... the entire discussion is moot. I have no where near the ability to pace this accurately [9s here, 6s there, etc] lol

#7866631 - 09/15/14 06:49 PM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: stickaz_old]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

I think you're overthinking it man. \:D

It's good to have a plan, but since this is your first half, I think you should just focus on running by feel and just using the watch/clock as a general guide. The crowd at the front isn't going to slow you down that much if you seed yourself appropriately. 13.1 is a great distance because it's short enough to run hard, but long enough that there is a risk of blowing up. It's all about settling into a pace you can maintain. If you feel like you have something left at 12, then throw in a surge in that last mile.

#7866637 - 09/15/14 06:52 PM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: Sir Ironpool]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Mrs. Ironmom

It's good to have a plan, but since this is your first half, I think you should just focus on running by feel and just using the watch/clock as a general guide. The crowd at the front isn't going to slow you down that much if you seed yourself appropriately. 13.1 is a great distance because it's short enough to run hard, but long enough that there is a risk of blowing up. It's all about settling into a pace you can maintain. If you feel like you have something left at 12, then throw in a surge in that last mile.

ALLL OF THIS!

#7866673 - 09/15/14 07:16 PM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: ]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

OK makes sense \:D

#7866928 - 09/16/14 12:06 AM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: stickaz_old]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Swim practice tonight felt GLORIUS \:D
Some of you runner types should consider it, IMO. Maybe its mental but I feel so recovered now. My feet feel normal again too and.I didn't even cramp \:D
Plus the spa afterward didn't hurt any either \:D

#7867555 - 09/16/14 12:30 PM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: stickaz_old]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Tri training has certainly improved my overall fitness no doubt. But swimming isn't for everyone...
89 Camaro - Sold

#7869678 - 09/17/14 03:19 PM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: Sir Ironpool]
volty Offline
Post Master Jr

Loc: New York

I'm going to agree with all of this. I wish I had seen the thread sooner. I ran my first half last year with like no training. I think my 5k PR at that point was 24ish mins. Averaging maybe 10 miles a week, if that, for about 3 months before the run.

Just run with the people around you. Seed yourself HIGHER than you think you can do. Everyone else does it at these fucking things. At NYC this past spring I put down 1:45 (finished in 1:41) and I was passing motherfuckers for the first mile left and right. At RockAndRoll DC I put 2:00 (my first half) and people were walking after less than a mile.

Seed yourself higher, find what feels like a challenging pace, and let the others around you push you. You will run faster times each mile than you think you could. Drop the watch, focus on your breathing. If you feel like blowing up, make a bargain to try and push it to the next mile. If you make that next mile, you're fine.

I love 13.1 miles. By the end I feel exhausted... but my body isnt trashed.

#7869977 - 09/17/14 07:59 PM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: volty]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

cool, I don't really have much hope that I'm any faster than the 1:55 I seeded myself at, I really doubt it or I would have seen it somewhere by now \:D

I now know I can run the whole thing at least though lol. I figure based on my running [all 350 miles of it] so far this year that any miles spent sub 9:00 I will pay for dearly towards the end. Yea, I'm not fast /shocker

#7870002 - 09/17/14 08:26 PM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: stickaz_old]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

You have solid discipline and training consistency (aside from bike - who am I to talk to doe? ), you will rock it!
#7870124 - 09/17/14 11:29 PM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: stickaz_old]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: RI
 Originally Posted By: g@mby

let's see , left calf doesnt seem to extend all the way right now, I cant really bring my left heel to the ground without a bit of discomfort \:D

my right foot, possibly as a consequence when I left UP hurts a bit

my left hip/leg extender whatever its called [up near my waist] hurts a bit when I extend my leg/attempt to walk lol. Wow thats new. I felt it a bit on miles 10+ or so yesterday.

basically I could whine some more but I think thats a good list \:D \:D

I did not bike to work today but not because I didnt think I could do it but because I have to bounce between a ton of buildings and meet with people today. Am subtly limping unless I've been sitting for a while, then definintely limping. So in other words I think I'm functional heh. Will masters swim tonight but I'll probably cramp on the very first lap of the first kick set.

Ouch.

I feel longer runs (10k is "long" for me) in my hip flexors bigtime.

still have an EM1--go figure

#7870261 - 09/18/14 07:18 AM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: volty]
andy676
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: volty

I'm going to agree with all of this. I wish I had seen the thread sooner. I ran my first half last year with like no training. I think my 5k PR at that point was 24ish mins. Averaging maybe 10 miles a week, if that, for about 3 months before the run.

Just run with the people around you. Seed yourself HIGHER than you think you can do. Everyone else does it at these fucking things. At NYC this past spring I put down 1:45 (finished in 1:41) and I was passing motherfuckers for the first mile left and right. At RockAndRoll DC I put 2:00 (my first half) and people were walking after less than a mile.

Seed yourself higher, find what feels like a challenging pace, and let the others around you push you. You will run faster times each mile than you think you could. Drop the watch, focus on your breathing. If you feel like blowing up, make a bargain to try and push it to the next mile. If you make that next mile, you're fine.

I love 13.1 miles. By the end I feel exhausted... but my body isnt trashed.

all this!

a first half is a great thing, just don't over think it! enjoy the experience. just go out and run. when i ran my first half, i ran without ever training with gps, had no idea what my mile splits were, had no idea what i'd be running pace wise, i just ran by feel and it was a great experience.

#7870718 - 09/18/14 11:18 AM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: ]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

I did the same. First half marathon, stropped to use the restroom trice and ran my last 1.5 miles all-out. Despite the variances it was an awesome experience.
89 Camaro - Sold

#7878111 - 09/23/14 04:17 PM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: Design]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

I did a few jogs here in my taper and played with my GPS watch a bit [the forerunner 210]

avg pace seems to be where its at, with 'lap' settings set to 1.0 miles

I just have to remember to glance at it for the 10s that it shows the last lap pace or simply glance at the net every once in a while for overall pace

avg seems good

I tried 'current lap' which just shows the current lap [I pick 1.0 mile/laps], and I don't think that is terribly useful. Toggling back to the main screen for overall ET/pace and then back during the run doesnt sound like a good idea either \:D

thanks guys

#7878247 - 09/23/14 06:19 PM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: stickaz_old]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

You're overthinking it again.
I have a 210 that I use for 90% of my runs, my screen shows total distance, time and avg pace.
Thats all you need boss.

#7878255 - 09/23/14 06:30 PM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

how is that different than what I posted? I said I'd use avg pace. Oh I get it, I typed a couple addtional words after that.

ib4 still doing it wrong

#7878272 - 09/23/14 06:45 PM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: stickaz_old]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

youre talking about toggling and all kinds of shit.

#7878313 - 09/23/14 06:58 PM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

I was saying that as something I didn't want to do

Quote:

I tried 'current lap' which just shows the current lap [I pick 1.0 mile/laps], and I don't think that is terribly useful. Toggling back to the main screen for overall ET/pace and then back during the run doesnt sound like a good idea either \:D

I get it doe, skinny fat \:D

#7878604 - 09/23/14 11:04 PM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: stickaz_old]
SJP0tato Offline

Loc: Gilbert, Az

I know that feel. It took me a few weeks to figure out which displays I wanted on my 310XT. Turned out 90% of the things I "thought" I wanted to see while running, I actually didn't really care about.
All I have it show now is rotate between total time/distance, and heart-rate/pace (pace is inaccurate enough to be almost worthless, but I haven't bothered replacing it with anything else).

For my upcoming half I'm planning on using the "Virtual Partner" to get a rough idea how close I am to my overall goal pace. I figure that's about the best it's gonna get.

#7896563 - 10/04/14 07:06 PM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: SJP0tato]
Cheesegoggles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Here
Big day tomorrow!
#7896717 - 10/04/14 10:11 PM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: Cheesegoggles]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Doooo eeet!
#7897159 - 10/05/14 01:46 PM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: ]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

well, finished, and no walking I guess. I felt pretty good until around mile 10. Avg'd 152-HR for the whole thing so I was trying pretty hard. Just not fit enough to break 2H \:D
2:05:35 chip time, 2:05:01 strava 1/2 time /closeenough

#7897248 - 10/05/14 03:32 PM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: stickaz_old]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Nice job!

#7897311 - 10/05/14 04:33 PM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: Sir Ironpool]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Excellent job man.

When's your next one? You'll crack 2 just having done one for real now.

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads