Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#7798444 - 07/30/14 01:08 PM Better workout for fat loss?
Big Tasty Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto
So I got a gym membership again and have been going a few times but want to increase my workouts and get into a better routine. It's a new gym (both to me and recently built) so the layout will take a few times to get used to where everything is and what I need to do on a specific day. Good thing is that it's not overly busy at the times I would go.

So I'm looking at 4x a week, weekends and two evenings during the week. Main goal is to loose the belly but I have a good base with arms, legs shoulders. What I have sporadically done so far is 40mins on the elliptical with about 20-30mins on a single body part then elliptical again for a bit.

My question to you is, with the goal of weight loss would it be better to do a full body workout each of the 4 times in the week along with the elliptical or do a back/bi, chest/tri...etc workout for the 4 days? The workout has been haphazard just trying out machines/stations so far so I would like to hammer out a routine to stick to going forward.

#7798543 - 07/30/14 01:59 PM Re: Better workout for fat loss? [Re: Big Tasty]
CStyles45 Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Boardman, Ohio
Plate pushes

Fork-downs

/thread

#7798618 - 07/30/14 02:40 PM Re: Better workout for fat loss? [Re: CStyles45]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Nor Cal, Hella hurr durr
I'll go out on a limb and suggest cardio for fat-loss primarily [fork-downs probably better tho], and lifting to get stronger.

Lots of people throw 20 minutes of cardio in after lifting. I suppose it's entirely up to you and your goals

goal setting has worked for me [I went from ~215 to ~187 recently but I'm back up to ~193 because lifting --I hope--heh]

eg I am more motivated to run, bike, swim, and lift because I have a 1/2 marathon in 2 months and my first every international distance triathlon the week before that. I keep swimming because when I go surfing I catch more waves

so I say work it from the goal side if you can? I always fall off the wagon if I dont have some sort of goal in front of my face. "looking better" or "I need to be healthier" has never worked for me

#7798622 - 07/30/14 02:42 PM Re: Better workout for fat loss? [Re: CStyles45]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: The OC
 Originally Posted By: CStyles45
Plate pushes

Fork-downs

/thread

^^ This

You need to consider a calorie deficit plan (if not already).
89 Camaro - Sold
CSI. What's your diversion?

#7798625 - 07/30/14 02:44 PM Re: Better workout for fat loss? [Re: Big Tasty]
CrazeD Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: San Diego, CA
 Originally Posted By: Big Tasty
So I got a gym membership again and have been going a few times but want to increase my workouts and get into a better routine. It's a new gym (both to me and recently built) so the layout will take a few times to get used to where everything is and what I need to do on a specific day. Good thing is that it's not overly busy at the times I would go.

So I'm looking at 4x a week, weekends and two evenings during the week. Main goal is to loose the belly but I have a good base with arms, legs shoulders. What I have sporadically done so far is 40mins on the elliptical with about 20-30mins on a single body part then elliptical again for a bit.

My question to you is, with the goal of weight loss would it be better to do a full body workout each of the 4 times in the week along with the elliptical or do a back/bi, chest/tri...etc workout for the 4 days? The workout has been haphazard just trying out machines/stations so far so I would like to hammer out a routine to stick to going forward.

I had a lot of success awhile back by going to the gym 3/4 days a week and focusing on a muscle group, then jumping on the elliptical for 30 mins and maintaining a HR of 155BPM. Every now and then I'd go running also. I really felt like the elliptical worked well because I could get my heart rate in the aerobic zone. When I run, my HR goes off the scale \:\(

Something like:

Mon: Chest/Tris + 30min elliptical
Weds: Bis/Back + 30 min elliptical
Fri: Legs + 30 min elliptical
Sun: 3 mile run

You will also need to stop eating like a piggy. After all, it's much easier to avoid the 300-calorie cookie than it is to spend 30 mins on cardio.

2020 BMW ///M550i
2018 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE

#7798759 - 07/30/14 03:59 PM Re: Better workout for fat loss? [Re: CStyles45]
137 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Newsomville, CA
 Originally Posted By: CStyles45
Plate pushes

Fork-downs

/thread

http://youtu.be/dpqBhYW74Ho

#7798762 - 07/30/14 04:02 PM Re: Better workout for fat loss? [Re: CrazeD]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Edmonton
I would follow something similar to what Crazed said along with cutting calories. I would skip the machines as much as possible for both weights and cardio. I'm more of a fan of running/biking in the real world than indoors as well. As much time as you want to put it is up to you as it will be beneficial.

#7798766 - 07/30/14 04:05 PM Re: Better workout for fat loss? [Re: Impulsive]
CrazeD Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: San Diego, CA
 Originally Posted By: Impulsive
I would follow something similar to what Crazed said along with cutting calories. I would skip the machines as much as possible for both weights and cardio. I'm more of a fan of running/biking in the real world than indoors as well. As much time as you want to put it is up to you as it will be beneficial.

Yea, if you can run, it's better than the elliptical. It's also much more fun. nothing is more boring than doing cardio inside a stuffy gym lol.

2020 BMW ///M550i
2018 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE

#7798773 - 07/30/14 04:08 PM Re: Better workout for fat loss? [Re: CrazeD]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Nor Cal, Hella hurr durr
^depending on what level of yoga pants are in front of/beside you

#7798777 - 07/30/14 04:12 PM Re: Better workout for fat loss? [Re: CrazeD]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: CrazeD_Z06
After all, it's much easier to avoid the 300-calorie cookie than it is to spend 30 mins on cardio.

Speak for yourself.
89 Camaro - Sold

#7798816 - 07/30/14 04:42 PM Re: Better workout for fat loss? [Re: stickaz_old]
Silock Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Jayhawk Country
 Originally Posted By: stickaz
I'll go out on a limb and suggest cardio for fat-loss primarily [fork-downs probably better tho], and lifting to get stronger.

Hierarchy of fat loss is lifting takes priority over cardio.

As far as the actual workout, it doesn't really matter. You aren't going to burn a more significant amount of calories from any individual workout. Choose one you like.

It's all about the diet.

#7798817 - 07/30/14 04:43 PM Re: Better workout for fat loss? [Re: Design]
Big Tasty Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto
Ok thanks that is what I was thinking. Ya eating clean will be the big issue. Not that I eat alot, just badly.

Alright got next week off, will get it in gear.

#7799360 - 07/31/14 12:32 AM Re: Better workout for fat loss? [Re: Big Tasty]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: RI
Ok thanks that is what I was thinking. Ya eating clean will be the big issue. Not that I eat alot, just badly.

Alright got next week off, will get it in gear.

Ditch as much white flour as possible. I like Ezekiel bread for sandwiches--that's a less "bread-y bread". Low in sugar/salt, too. I like low-carb multigrain tortillas, too. 50-70 calories depending on brand. Usually a decent amount of protein (for a tortilla) too.

Get to like vegetables. Eat a lot of them with dinner and they'll fill you up.

Avocados are filling, too. Add a little salt and they make a great mayo substitute. A go-to breakfast of mine is from the Dolce diet--an egg with avocado and turkey bacon on Ezekiel bread. Very filling.

1/2 cup of light chocolate ice cream is 100 calories and won't ruin a big workout.

Apples. Yay, apples. An apple with some peanut butter is also a great breakfast (for me).

I cheat on the weekends (within reason) just to stay sane.

I'm big on cardio, but the diet is when the belly really started to go away. Cardio helps a ton, tho and your doc will love you for it.

I do pushups/kettlebell swings on one day and pullups/chinups on another (sporadically). Jump a ton of rope in the colder weather, bike quite a bit and run a moderate amount. Nautilus workouts when school is in session (faculty freebie).

Sounds like a lot, but break it down to daily workouts and it's not. The cliche of making it your lifestyle couldn't me more true. You'll grow to love it as you see improvement and even moreso when those around you start commenting on your improvement.

The discipline will come easier as you stick with it and start seeing results. With luck, you'll grow to love it and/or find some stuff you enjoy doing.

I say all this as an average, not-so-athletic 42 year-old--not as an expert. Also, there is no universal way of doing it. More than one way to skin a cat with this stuff. Eventually, if you stick with SOMETHING, you'll figure out a program that works for you.

Best of luck. \:\)

still have an EM1--go figure

#7799369 - 07/31/14 12:53 AM Re: Better workout for fat loss? [Re: Big Tasty]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

I don't think you don't have to shake your habits up-side-down. Sometimes all it takes is knowledge of the calories in foods you eat the most. I'm not sure if that's something you've done in the past, but it was a wake-up call for me.

My danger foods are burgers, donuts, fries, and anything Chinese. I didn't give them up; just started eating less in those areas. Well... unless I wanted to reward myself after a 20 mile run.
89 Camaro - Sold

#7799593 - 07/31/14 09:39 AM Re: Better workout for fat loss? [Re: Design]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Design

My danger foods are burgers, donuts, fries, and anything Chinese. I didn't give them up; just started eating less in those areas.

Pay attention to this, Tasty. The wisest sentiment of this forum is that you can't out-train a bad diet. That's how I got fat in the first place.

Completely depriving yourself of the food you love will make you miserable. However, if you "budget" it in that day, you can do it. Eat very light throughout the rest of the day on those days where you think damage will occur. Follow it up with a big cardio session the next day.

I try to have the mentality of--during the week, it's wise choices and weekends are less so. I don't go nuts anymore, but burgers happen.

#7799611 - 07/31/14 09:45 AM Re: Better workout for fat loss? [Re: gamby]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

I'd add in that one or two "cheat" meals can hurt a lot of progress. Personally, I think drinking wine and beer on weekends keep me about 5 pounds heavier than ideal, but whatever.

But even when you do decide to eat a burger or have pizza, just because it's shitty food, doesn't mean gorging on it doesn't matter either. Have 3-4 pieces, order thin crust, etc.

Even when I go out for a birthday to a steakhouse or something, I'm still mindful of the calories in everything as most places publish this. So something as simple as the type of steak and potato you eat and skipping the appetizer can add up to 1000-2000 calories.

This applies to many other things as well. On hot days, my work always passes out ice cream treats. We have a donut day on Fridays and meeting leftovers througout the week. You have to walk away or say no a lot of the time.

#7799698 - 07/31/14 10:37 AM Re: Better workout for fat loss? [Re: Impulsive]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

I'd add in that one or two "cheat" meals can hurt a lot of progress. Personally, I think drinking wine and beer on weekends keep me about 5 pounds heavier than ideal, but whatever.

This is true, too. I'm very lucky that the one food I can't stand is cheese. That makes things a LOT easier overall. Lately, even the cheat meals suffer. I'll still try to make wiser restaurant choices. Dem fries doe

Eating consciously instead of grazing is a huge step--and a difficult one. Cutting out the day-to-day BS eating (like banging out half a bag of chips while cooking dinner) makes a colossal difference.

#7799782 - 07/31/14 11:42 AM Re: Better workout for fat loss? [Re: Design]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Design
 Originally Posted By: CrazeD_Z06
After all, it's much easier to avoid the 300-calorie cookie than it is to spend 30 mins on cardio.

Speak for yourself.

Couldn't agree more.

#7799832 - 07/31/14 12:26 PM Re: Better workout for fat loss? [Re: Impulsive]
wolfsburg2 Offline
Post Master Supreme

But even when you do decide to eat a burger or have pizza, just because it's shitty food, doesn't mean gorging on it doesn't matter either. Have 3-4 pieces, order thin crust, etc.

Even when I go out for a birthday to a steakhouse or something, I'm still mindful of the calories in everything as most places publish this. So something as simple as the type of steak and potato you eat and skipping the appetizer can add up to 1000-2000 calories.

This applies to many other things as well. On hot days, my work always passes out ice cream treats. We have a donut day on Fridays and meeting leftovers througout the week. You have to walk away or say no a lot of the time.

I don't know if I agree with this. I'm in the camp that refeeds kickstart weight loss again. Also food timing is important.

#7800071 - 07/31/14 03:09 PM Re: Better workout for fat loss? [Re: wolfsburg2]
Silock Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Agree w/ refeed, but it depends on how you do it.

Also, mostly disagree on food timing being important, but need more info on your position.

#7800075 - 07/31/14 03:11 PM Re: Better workout for fat loss? [Re: Silock]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

What are we defining as refeed? A weekend of bad eating wipes out a week of hard work and dieting.

#7800203 - 07/31/14 04:27 PM Re: Better workout for fat loss? [Re: Impulsive]
Silock Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

It can, but doesn't have to. Depends on your diet leading up to the refeed and the macros of the refeed itself.
#7807385 - 08/06/14 11:37 AM Re: Better workout for fat loss? [Re: Silock]
DieZel Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: 18th green
The amount of statements in here that make me want to smash my computer is astounding...

Fat loss...?

You need a CALORIE DEFICIT, you need to create that by...

a. less food
b. increased activity (i.e. cardio AND weight training)
c. a combo of the 2

If you think cardio is the answer to fat loss, you'll likely also be losing lean mass in the process...

FUCK...

#7807598 - 08/06/14 01:28 PM Re: Better workout for fat loss? [Re: DieZel]
It's Art Offline
Bitch of the Deer
Post Master Supreme

That's why I hate this forum the past 4 years

So many expert chubby people

#7807618 - 08/06/14 01:36 PM Re: Better workout for fat loss? [Re: It's Art]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Artie Art Art
That's why I hate this forum the past 4 years

So many expert chubby people

Help me out, you've always been cut, right?
So you actually have no experience in fat loss? Because you've always been ripped and shit, you've never had fat to loose?

So your experience in weight loss is actually pretty minimal....

#7807641 - 08/06/14 01:49 PM Re: Better workout for fat loss? [Re: ]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
I think all us chubby guys need our own forum. Diezel, Art and Silock can have this one to themselves. \:D

#7807661 - 08/06/14 02:02 PM Re: Better workout for fat loss? [Re: ]
It's Art Offline
Bitch of the Deer
Post Master Supreme

Um, go back to the og fitness thread and my first post, I was 240+ pounds. Strong, big, but not really ripped.

So no, your assumption is wrong.

#7807727 - 08/06/14 02:38 PM Re: Better workout for fat loss? [Re: Sir Ironpool]
DieZel Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Mrs. Ironmom
I think all us chubby guys need our own forum. Diezel, Art and Silock can have this one to themselves. \:D

But then you'd all still be chubby... 😜

No seriously, fat loss is a very simple equation... People just make it way more complicated than it needs to be with timing and other eye of newt voodoo bullshit...

#7807818 - 08/06/14 03:21 PM Re: Better workout for fat loss? [Re: DieZel]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

More than a few people here suggested cutting cals, doing cardio and adding weights.

So many wild statements.

#7807874 - 08/06/14 04:17 PM Re: Better workout for fat loss? [Re: Impulsive]
DieZel Offline
Post Master Supreme

There were also other stupid replies made...

And a "refeed" is not a go full retard cheat day...

It's essentially designed to give more carbs yet still not really go over maintenance cals...

I'm ok with cheat meals as well but you can destroy a weeks worth of losses in a day...

#7807891 - 08/06/14 04:45 PM Re: Better workout for fat loss? [Re: DieZel]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
Were they really losses if that's the case? Water weight?

#7807897 - 08/06/14 04:49 PM Re: Better workout for fat loss? [Re: DieZel]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Refeed was only brought up in this thread by someone responding to my warning to be cautious of cheat meals and gorging.

#7807928 - 08/06/14 05:13 PM Re: Better workout for fat loss? [Re: Impulsive]
DieZel Offline
Post Master Supreme

Refeed and cheat day is not synonymous... Refeed is controlled, cheat day typically is not and you're not concerned with any numbers... There are situations where I'll give a cheat day, especially to people that are on the edge so to speak...

But really you end up setting yourself back a bit, but it kinds takes the edge off... dieting is hard as fuck for a lot of people...

You could lose fat for the week, and then gorge on a bunch of shit and gain that fat back... there will be water gains as well, possibly even on a controlled refeed, cause you're increasing carbs by a certain amount and storing carbs mean you also store water...

#7807933 - 08/06/14 05:15 PM Re: Better workout for fat loss? [Re: Impulsive]
Silock Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

And this isn't to say that you should ignore cardio, but you need the proper balance. Low intensity steady state trains your body to burn fat, but you don't need to do a ton of it for that to happen. And it's not super time efficient.

Hierarchy of fat loss:
Lifting
High intensity intervals
Steady state

That's assuming you're running a decent caloric deficit.

#7807938 - 08/06/14 05:17 PM Re: Better workout for fat loss? [Re: DieZel]
Silock Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: DieZel
Refeed and cheat day is not synonymous... Refeed is controlled, cheat day typically is not and you're not concerned with any numbers... There are situations where I'll give a cheat day, especially to people that are on the edge so to speak...

But really you end up setting yourself back a bit, but it kinds takes the edge off... dieting is hard as fuck for a lot of people...

You could lose fat for the week, and then gorge on a bunch of shit and gain that fat back... there will be water gains as well, possibly even on a controlled refeed, cause you're increasing carbs by a certain amount and storing carbs mean you also store water...

Exactly. That's why lots of people prefer the term "refeed" to "cheat." One implies a structured period of eating to accomplish certain goals, and the other implies "do what you want with no consequences."

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads