Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#7754294 - 06/30/14 12:04 AM Got lost again looking for milk
hustler Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Seattle, WA
Since nobody likes rants, I'm going to do the best cliff notes version I can to catch folks up. If you know me, you'd know that's difficult to do.

I wrecked my 1989 Saleen last October with many new parts on it. I cut out all the damage and put under a car cover. I sold my 1990 mazda 230k mile daily driver in family since 1995 which I could not let go of. I inherited 78k mile pristine 1998 Buick LeSabre Custom from grandparents. It's like driving a couch, i love it \:\) My GF decides she is tired of payment on 2013 Mazda3 Coupe she bought last year new. I needed a truck so considered getting a truck and she drive the Buick. I test drove a Gen1 1995 Lightning on Friday. Not what I was expecting, but could be had for 4k, albeit around and north of 200k miles. This one was local but was asking 7k with donk rims on it, so I passed.

So we consider another direction. GF likes sn95+ mustangs but not fox body. I agree to 94/95 Mustang with 5.0 to transfer some parts from wrecked Saleen. I also specify the car has a manual since I will likely drive the car. So I started searching for a 94/95 5.0. I find ragged out, hacked up, altezza tail-lit, smoked everything, donk rimmed, backyard molded, body kitted sn95's all over craigslist. Early indications point to a long journey to find an unmolested 5 speed manual 94/95 5.0 coupe with decent original paint. For those that don't know these were the last two years of the 5.0 OHV motors in the Mustang. The only years in the Aero body. I also put my budget under 4k with under 200k miles on it which doesn't make it easier. not as concerned about engine since I have a transplant donor with the blower setup ready to go. I open search to 500 miles away, prepared to fly/drive to Boise, ID from Seattle, WA. I've given up on choosing colors, although I was hoping for white. I definitely dig Replicar's car.

Yesterday I was watching world cup and browsing CL with my GF and she sends me a link to a car advertised through a collector car dealer posted 35 minutes before we found it. 102k miles, paint/engine/interior look good in pictures, only 45 minute drive away, and its asking 3800. I kick the tires, offer 3, we settle at 3200. Drove it home yesterday, taught my gf how to drive stick this morning and started detailing it this afternoon. The bads are power seat bracket is broken, drivers side mirror is missing from the housing, stereo needs a power isolator, suspension along with brakes have squeeks, and tires are bald. The good news is it has the Mach460 premium stereo, engine/trans/accessories run great. I pick my battles, this is all mostly easily fixed stuff.

I think I did pretty good, here is something similar on ebay below. i'm just amazed you can get this much car for very little money. CL is like a treasure hunt. I almost feel guilty doing anything to it, but I am going to try to keep it mostly stock appearing. Easier to goad people into running it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mustang-2dr...=US_Cars_Trucks

Videos
#7754613 - 06/30/14 09:28 AM Re: Got lost again looking for milk [Re: hustler]
ReplicaR Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: E.E.B.
Well that brings back a LOT of memories.

Acceleration.... \:\( -------+-- \:\)
Handling......... \:\( -------+-- \:\)
Speed............ \:\( ------+--- \:\)

#7755108 - 06/30/14 03:04 PM Re: Got lost again looking for milk [Re: ReplicaR]
hustler Offline
Post Master Sr

Hah that is too cool to see. I'll update this thread with the build. I'm hopefully picking up some Corbeau's tonight. As soon as I can find some 94-04 CC plates i can swap my suspension from saleen in. Once I decide on what to do with motor I'll move the exhaust over. I may go back to shorties, I guess the fox longtubes interfere with the clutch fork location on the 94/95 bells. I might be able to swap my bell but the longtubes are a hassle anyway jacking the motor up to get them in.
#7755125 - 06/30/14 03:13 PM Re: Got lost again looking for milk [Re: hustler]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Nor Cal, Hella hurr durr
good kill. sorry to hear about your saleen \:\/

<-- this is the poster formerly known as stickaz that still has a 93 5.0 coupe

#7755187 - 06/30/14 03:53 PM Re: Got lost again looking for milk [Re: stickaz_old]
ReplicaR Offline
Post Master Sr

Speaking of running it, I ran E92 M3 with intake, tuning and test pipes a few weeks back. From 20-120, I put about 3 cars on him.

#7755240 - 06/30/14 04:27 PM Re: Got lost again looking for milk [Re: ReplicaR]
ScottStaypuff Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ohio
Good kill(s).

#7755495 - 06/30/14 06:42 PM Re: Got lost again looking for milk [Re: stickaz_old]
hustler Offline
Post Master Sr

Yeah it was a dumb mistake, a very tough lesson. I parked it and couldn't look at it for a while. Now I'm just trying to make the best of it, moving on. So why did you change your name? Forgot your login? Surprised Thanh couldn't resurrect it for you?
#7756950 - 07/01/14 04:42 PM Re: Got lost again looking for milk [Re: hustler]
hustler Offline
Post Master Sr

got some corbeau fx1 pro seats for both sides, ordered some brackets/sliders for them, so will post pics when done.
#7761670 - 07/05/14 05:58 AM Re: Got lost again looking for milk [Re: hustler]
scootergeek Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: East of St. Louis

#7761803 - 07/05/14 10:19 AM Re: Got lost again looking for milk [Re: scootergeek]
hustler Offline
Post Master Sr

So after a lot of thought, the stock tri-bar wheels just won't work for me. I guess I could have used spacers but I can only get a 275 on the 8" rim and that is suspect. The stock offset tucks the tire in very tight to the body which looks goofy to me. Only remedy is a spacer or have the wheel re-done. So I ordered some new wheels with staggered width/offsets. I'm taking a gamble on it though. It's a retro reproduction wheel of the era but in an 18 and gunmetal color and a polished lip. May have the lip painted to match if I don't like the look. I feel the 18's fill the bigger wheel wells of the sn95 better than a big tire 17. Plus it will give me more ground clearance if I run the longtubes again which I'm thinking about doing since I may swap in the saleen's ex-motor at some point. This time around though I want to retain the factory accessories so it will be a lot more crowded and heavy unfortunately, but oh well. I just don't like the drag race look on these cars with the tall tires. I just need some cc plates for a 94-04 car so if I can't find a decent deal used I'll buy new. Also searching tires now too. I'll post some pics after I get it dropped on the Saleen's old suspension.
#7761884 - 07/05/14 01:49 PM Re: Got lost again looking for milk [Re: hustler]
Anastasia Beaverhausen Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: I-4 corridor
Good call on the new wheels. Those stockers are awful. Also, in the future just post this stuff in OT since that's the only section that gets any traffic.

#7762084 - 07/05/14 06:23 PM Re: Got lost again looking for milk [Re: Anastasia Beaverhausen]
scootergeek Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: East of St. Louis
1. 99% of out there won't get it and will give him shit for buying an old mustang. I don't think demah's (replicar) sn95 has gotten any love there at all, and it's cool as fuck.

2. Stickaz isn't allowed to make non-troll posts in out there, so he can't participate.

3. Personally, I'll always come back to SvA for these posts.

#7762319 - 07/06/14 02:03 AM Re: Got lost again looking for milk [Re: scootergeek]
max Offline
Poster

Good kill!

#7762970 - 07/07/14 12:52 AM Re: Got lost again looking for milk [Re: max]
hustler Offline
Post Master Sr

Yeah I get what you are saying anastasia, but mostly my audience is the old sva crew who know me and my cars like scooter said. Folks from OT can come here and ridicule me :), it really wouldn't bother me. The one downside is my thread would get dropped like a bad habit there, thread turnover is pretty fast in there.

So tonight I changed the plugs and air filter. Air filter very dirty. the plug gap is supposed to be around .50-.56 roughly on a stock e7 headed engine. Plugs were and gaps had opened up to .074+ in all the cylinders. Otherwise they looked good and the base just had surface rust from outside exposure. I swear I hear a click on #4 or what sounds like an exhaust leak possibly, but I can't pin it. I thought maybe I didn't seat the plug but i wound it out a little and rewound it in again. Wound #3 back in too, but still seems to have a click. So not sure if I have an exhaust leak or what. It threw a CEL code on the way during a drive but not on the way back, so will check it tomorrow. It seems to run great otherwise. With 100k on the odo, think I'm just going to change the transmission fluid and oil regardless since they are unknowns as well. I think the supercharged engine will have to wait a little while, I almost feel guilty disconnecting shit to make it work/fit. The stock stuff is in such great condition and besides gas is getting expensive ;\)

#7764365 - 07/07/14 09:25 PM Re: Got lost again looking for milk [Re: hustler]
ScottStaypuff Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ohio
Nitrous would be inobtrusive. \:\)

#7764577 - 07/08/14 01:11 AM Re: Got lost again looking for milk [Re: ScottStaypuff]
hustler Offline
Post Master Sr

cel code turned out to be an o2 detecting lean condition in bank #2. it doesn't pop on until the car is warmed up a few miles into the journey occasionally, so i'm thinking closed loop o2 sensor is detecting a low fuel pressure issue or issue with the o2. weird because i can hear the tick near #4 cylinder or behind at the header which is the 1st bank. At this point I do feel the starter is slow to kick over as well. So either the starter is just tired or my fuel filter is dirty (likely) and or the o2 needs replacing as well. remember 100k mile car with unknown maintenance. So ordered a fuel filter and two o2 sensors off amazon along with an oil filter. between that and changing the trans fluid i hope that makes it happy for awhile. Think I'm going to put a 4.30 gear in later, it feels like a slug compared to what I had but definitely has enough power to have some fun with at stoplights. Feel like shifting like a madman since the woman is learning how to drive it. So far this is what I have into it.

3200 car
700 taxes and licensing
17 air filter
0 plugs i had laying around Autolite 24's
67 o2 sensors, fuel filter, oil filter
430 used but great condition corbeau fx1 pro seats
200 corbeau mustang fox/sn95 specific tracks/sliders
200 94-04 mm caster camber plates
0 mm starter kit which was brand new that i'm raiding from the saleen
bilstein struts/shocks, mm springs w/2" drop, mm lca's, welded/boxed uca's.
0 Pro 5.0 shifter+steeda stick and hurst ball
1300 new 18" wheels/tires/mount/balance/align
0 aluminum driveshaft from saleen
~6100 total

my initial impressions are the interior is definitely more refined than the fox cars and i'm no dash molester. I do fit more comfortably in this car @ 6'3. more upgrades like 5 lug spindles, mach460 stereo, anti-lock brakes, smarter computer (albeit more difficult to mod), among other things. Problem is you pay for these in weight. the fox is still the better drag race platform imo, but the sn95 is a better regular driver. I personally liked the boxy look of the foxes but messing around with this sn95 is just as fun and its growing on me. I miss having most of the accessories removed. changing plugs is a lot more difficult in a car with all the accessories and plumbing still heh. Forgot what that was like.

albeit the tires were shot so I haven't done anything wild yet and the stock suspension is tired, but it feels like a lot of body roll with the stock suspension. hopefully lowering the center of gravity and a new suspension will give it a tighter feeling ride because this is where the money ends in this department. Going to try to get 315/35/18's on the back and 255/35/18's on the front. only thing left i might do is a cobra brake upgrade with bigger rotors up front. This is a daily not a track queen and I gotta get cracking on the other car, so this is where most of it ends.

#7764836 - 07/08/14 09:23 AM Re: Got lost again looking for milk [Re: hustler]
A_Mantis Administrator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Valley of the Sun
Nice! Back in the day MM&FF had a project '95 5.0 Stang. Ran a 14.9 bone stock, then threw on CAI, 3.73s, pulleys, and bumped the timing and were able to run a 14 flat. Gotta love the bang for the buck of the 5.0.

#7765401 - 07/08/14 01:17 PM Re: Got lost again looking for milk [Re: A_Mantis]
ReplicaR Offline
Post Master Sr

5.0s are good bang for the buck, just like the rest of the car, until things get serious. That's when the cheap mods stop, and everything starts to cost an arm and a leg, and kidneys. But that's the name of the game I guess, and it would be the same with any other car. Point is, if you keep it very mild, it can be very inexpensive.

#7765450 - 07/08/14 01:33 PM Re: Got lost again looking for milk [Re: ReplicaR]
hustler Offline
Post Master Sr

completely agree. I plan to keep the drivetrain from the saleen to shoehorn in at a later time when this motor goes or I get itchy. So I have a backup trans/engine now. You can get used explorer motors for around ~500 at the yards which isn't bad. with the saleen i was just planning on buying these each time i blew one up with the blower.

So I ended up with 265/35/18's on the front and 285/35/18's in the back. While I could have gone larger to maybe a 305/315, I don't want to remove the quads and just do minimal required to get the tires to sit as close to the fender lip as possible with minimal clearancing like i had to do with a fat tire/tall tire on the fox. Plus the 285's were on clearance and tires are ridiculously expensive in 18's. This is still just a daily.

#7770696 - 07/11/14 12:57 PM Re: Got lost again looking for milk [Re: hustler]
hustler Offline
Post Master Sr

here are the seats in. It was a breeze with the correct brackets and sliders specifically for the car. Car has a black/grey interior so it wasn't hard to make this work. I stuck with the cloth as well vs micro-suede to match the rear seats. It's a little harder to get into and out of the car quickly with the buckets, but once you are in it has nice side bolsters. Will have a 7 hour trip likely in august so i can give more feedback after that.

You know I resisted air tools for a loooong time being a shadetree mechanic, but i finally broke down one weekend recently while a buddy was out with his truck and picked up a 60 gallon vertical tank oilless compressor off clist for 200 bucks. the oilless units are louder than piss but because I don't actually use it a lot, i just wanted something that would work with most tools without running constantly. I have found it works really good for my use and the price. Very low maintenance. Just stick some home depot rubber isolators for a washing machine on the base stand legs and it reduced a lot of the noise. harbor freight pro 1/2" impact and 3/8" air ratchet and you are on your way for pretty cheap. I found that if you use the 1/4" x 3/8" fittings with the 4 ball bearings vs the cheapo 3 bearing units, the connections on the hoses are more solid and don't leak. They are more difficult to connect up but once they are its a solid connection. Also recommend the goodyear rubber hoses on amazon. I think what i want now is a low profile air ratchet to get into smaller places. If anyone can recommend one let me know.

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-14-x-38-automotive-series-coupler-and-plug-kit-68187.html

You would think with the mess I make, I would have more running cars \:\)

#7770790 - 07/11/14 01:36 PM Re: Got lost again looking for milk [Re: hustler]
ReplicaR Offline
Post Master Sr

If I were you, I'd feed the bottom of the seat belt through that small hole there. It will make the seat belts work as they were intended, otherwise, you are leave space between yourself and the belt, and that's not very safe. When I had a non recliner, that's how I had the belt running. This is why people typically don't recommend non recliners to be used with street belts.

#7771216 - 07/11/14 05:29 PM Re: Got lost again looking for milk [Re: ReplicaR]
hustler Offline
Post Master Sr

good advice. I wish I sat that deep in the seat ;\) I'll take a look at it though and see how tight it is against my gf.
#7786813 - 07/23/14 04:38 AM Re: Got lost again looking for milk [Re: hustler]
madmatt Offline
Post Master Supreme

Clean pick up \:\) Had a 94 GT for a while, it was an automatic though. Basically bought it to resell it, but it was fun.
#7787503 - 07/23/14 01:17 PM Re: Got lost again looking for milk [Re: ReplicaR]
A_Mantis Administrator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Valley of the Sun
 Originally Posted By: ReplicaR
5.0s are good bang for the buck, just like the rest of the car, until things get serious. That's when the cheap mods stop, and everything starts to cost an arm and a leg, and kidneys. But that's the name of the game I guess, and it would be the same with any other car. Point is, if you keep it very mild, it can be very inexpensive.

One day I will own an SN95 and do an 03-04 Cobra swap.

#7794276 - 07/28/14 11:01 AM Re: Got lost again looking for milk [Re: A_Mantis]
hustler Offline
Post Master Sr

So pulled the springs/struts/shocks from Saleen and then got stuck with a lost shipment from an ebay seller for the CC plates. So it took me an other 2 weeks to sort that out and get a weekend to take her car down. But finally I got to it and then a buddy helped me crank it out. The good is the wheels all clear and i dropped it off for an alignment this morning. I like the look as well for a reproduction. It's not a 3 piece, they put on some screws as it was cheaper to cut as a 1 piece and just give it the 3 piece look with the screws. I have no complaints as this set will get driven on the street daily so its likely to incur scrapes/rash etc. which made the price attractive. Spring rate is stiffer and the bilsteins create a nice tighter ride. The stock setup was starting to ride like the buick. Bad news is I didn't get the drop i was hoping for. Realized it sat lower on my car because I had much taller tires vs these low profiles. If I could do it again I would go with the 40's to fill the wheel well to the lip more. Oh well the tires were a deal being on closeout with the rack. If I could do it all over again I would have done the coilover route, but it is what it is. I have a steep driveway at a poor angle to the street so going into it sideways pushes a lot of weight onto separate tires at a time while I go up so the 4x4 ride will help in that department. Less complaining from gf ;\)

Next is fender rolling, forgot to install shorter pinion snubber, and swap to my aluminum driveshaft. Hopefully it will settle a little bit more over the next few days of driving. Sorry for the poor camera phone pics, it looks better in person.

#7795215 - 07/28/14 07:37 PM Re: Got lost again looking for milk [Re: hustler]
ReplicaR Offline
Post Master Sr

Keep the pinion snubber as is. It will keep the driveshaft out of the parking brake bracket.

#7796752 - 07/29/14 03:46 PM Re: Got lost again looking for milk [Re: ReplicaR]
hustler Offline
Post Master Sr

Yeah that is something i went through with the aluminum driveshaft getting a nice trim on the fox. good reminder, guess I need to think this through.
#7798789 - 07/30/14 04:16 PM Re: Got lost again looking for milk [Re: A_Mantis]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Nor Cal, Hella hurr durr
 Originally Posted By: Mantis
 Originally Posted By: ReplicaR

One day I will own an SN95 and do an 03-04 Cobra swap.

why? isn't an 03-04 cobra sub $20k now?

#7798950 - 07/30/14 06:14 PM Re: Got lost again looking for milk [Re: stickaz_old]
hustler Offline
Post Master Sr

i would just go find a depreciated stock one as well. most of those cars are ripped on hard, so if you find a motor separate its probably not good news. know of a few people who swapped in an aluminator shortblocks after the carnage and unloaded their cars. a lot of the people who bought those cobras are people who go through cars fast, always searching for the next best thing like the supra.
#7801048 - 08/01/14 09:16 AM Re: Got lost again looking for milk [Re: hustler]
FCobra94 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: MD
Not too shabby OP. I sold my '94 Cobra not too long ago. It was my first car and even though I didn't drive it much it was hard to let go. Either way, I look forward to seeing updates. I will be living vicariously through you as you move forward with the project

#7801714 - 08/01/14 02:03 PM Re: Got lost again looking for milk [Re: FCobra94]
hustler Offline
Post Master Sr

Will do! sorry you let go of the cobra, but looks like you upgraded nicely ;\) yeah i would have picked up a cobra if i could have to spare myself some upgrades but i was already sitting on a cache of parts as it was so just made more sense. I'm still debating putting the blower on the car. If my gf wraps it around a pole i couldn't forgive myself if she got hurt. She is already nervous about rain and snow, so gears may be out as well. Turns out the mm springs only drop the car 3/4" so really the pinion angle should be fine. after reading around the spherical bearings on the LCA's is to blame for the increased vibration transfer, mm even admits to the noise being more evident in a quieter stock muffled car.

At this point i'm going to put in the full exhaust from the saleen because if i do fix the saleen its going to be a racecar at this point. the interior will get pulled and sold. car would get a glass nose with lexan windows and maybe try doing a widebody still using the saleen kit since it needs new fenders. Never seen that before.

Since I was still tuning the saleen i didn't get to throw the car around after i put on the new struts/shocks/springs. So far I love the Bilstein struts/shocks, what a world of a difference over the Monroe GP's I had in the Saleen. It really transforms the car along with the MM HD LCA's. The stiffer MM springs also give me more freedom to play. After I roll the fenders I may try to drop the car a little more. My buddy has some cobra front calipers with an array of pads, so I just need the lines for them and some new discs. after these pads are toast i will swap them in.

At this point I'm going to try to set this car up as cheap as possible and enjoy just routine maintenance on it so its a fun spirited daily. I know how it goes once you get stuck in the mod route. Car becomes too nice and you don't want to drive it anymore. Just this morning i had a lady bump into the rear but luckily she bumped into the tailpipe so no damage on my end. People in Seattle suck at driving. Only had it a few weeks now.

#7827456 - 08/20/14 05:40 PM Re: Got lost again looking for milk [Re: hustler]
hustler Offline
Post Master Sr

Well nothing special but the rear brakes were making a horrid metallic rubbing sound even when I was off the brake pedal since I got the car. Front pads were ok though. First looked at the rear rotors, and one carried a gouge at the top of the disc. The pads were down to the bone on both sides, no pad left. So days before I price shopped new rotors and amazon'd the pads. I go into autozone since they had the cheapest rotors and unknowingly the guy gives me the front rotors. So I get home and find this out and have to return them for the rears. I get the rears mounted and start trying to wind in the pistons on the caliper after getting the harbor freight special toolkit and realize i'm wrenching on them so hard i'm bending the plate used to shim against the caliper (yes i did have the bleed valve open). So at this point I do the wrong deal and have my gf try to push the piston out further to pry it loose and it still won't go back in. Think I honestly made it worse by pushing it completely out. Oh well it was seized. So instead of rebuilding it I opted for a replacement. The core charge was higher than price for the caliper itself so basically swapped the whole assembly out since the boots were pretty dried out too. So new Autozone rotors $60, Amazon wagner ceramic pads $30, and NAPA rebuilt semi-loaded painted calipers $115, fluid $2. ~$200 rear brake job. No more metallic scratching... priceless.
Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  auxilary, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads