Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#7754803 - 06/30/14 11:23 AM some people are assholes
Duc Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: MD
while covering the race this weekend, some lady makes a snark remark about having to pay for media passes and that if you pay to go to an event that should be all that it takes when she say me with my media vest. she was the same woman earlier in the day who got mad at me because , apparently was in her shot (sometimes you have to move around and can't just stay in one place especially at an event of this magnitude)

funny tidbit. she was shooting with a 5DMkII and a 70-200/f4 non IS. i had my t3i with a 70-200/f2.8 IS II. her son started asking questions about my camera and it's attachments and she replied "oh, that's just a T3i and an extended battery pack. It's nothing special" how do you spend quality coin for a camera like that and cheap out on the L lens??

..you can NEVER out train a bad diet -- FitExcellence

Visit Sponsors! Help CSi !
#7754807 - 06/30/14 11:27 AM Re: some people are assholes [Re: Duc]
Voltron Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Not Found
Some people are just jealous that you got media passes for free. don't let it bother you.
#7754853 - 06/30/14 12:00 PM Re: some people are assholes [Re: Voltron]
LNXGUY Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
It didn't take me long to realize the gear people carry around doesn't mean shit

There was a guy at a local VW show with the latest and greatest the other weekend, his pics are overcooked HDR garbage. Just awful.

#7754858 - 06/30/14 12:06 PM Re: some people are assholes [Re: Voltron]
skierd Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
Some people think how much you spend on the body determines how good of a photographer or how worthy you are of being there too. Her exceptionally pleasant attitude probably added to her media pass price too.

#7754861 - 06/30/14 12:08 PM Re: some people are assholes [Re: LNXGUY]
GSParker
Unregistered

You'll quickly learn that a lot of "photographers" are pompous and egotistical. This is typically the case with older photographers who "remember the film days".

On that note, the 70-200 f/4 non-IS is still a great lens and you just did to her what she did to you with that comment. Gear means shit.

#7755199 - 06/30/14 04:02 PM Re: some people are assholes [Re: ]
trench301 Offline
Post Master

I have a lot of nice gear, and some days it makes me feel like a hack. Like I am almost not worthy of what I've bought. But I bought it not thinking it was the key to being a good photographer, rather as I get better, I wont need to re-buy focal lengths as I percieve my skills to justify better glass.

I do see improvement every time I go out and I think that is the most important thing, well that and still enjoying the process.

My post processing skills on the other hand, leave worlds to be desired so that will be my next investment.

Just keep shooting Duc...

#7756045 - 07/01/14 08:12 AM Re: some people are assholes [Re: trench301]
flyEX #1 Administrator Offline
Man in the Box
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Down in a Hole
Hearing protection FTW at events with other shooters. Probably one of the reasons I like landscapes at night.

I have both of those 70-200mm and the f/4L gets as many eat shit and die looks as the 2.8 II with a 2x extender. Or at least it did - been a while since I have given a Fuck.

#7757232 - 07/01/14 07:05 PM Re: some people are assholes [Re: flyEX #1]
scootergeek Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: East of St. Louis
I've been cocky about gear before, but in a reverse-snobbery way. I remember walking out of the woods one day after shooting bull elk at close range with the 85 f/1.8 past all these giant white lenses on tripods at the end of a parking lot; and my silent-but-cocky thought was, yeah that'll work too if you're a pussy.

Seriously though, it's always cooler to do more with less.

#7758626 - 07/02/14 02:22 PM Re: some people are assholes [Re: scootergeek]
Nate047 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: La La Land, CA
When I'm wearing a media vest, I don't give a flying fuck whether I'm in a spectator's shot or not. One of us went through the trouble of acquiring the vest, and one did not. They can go fuck themselves if they see a problem with that.

Also FWIW, I don't stay in one place for more than a few minutes/laps, so I'm not "blocking" anyone for very long regardless.

Nate
"Nate047 > NateSTL" - TenTwelve
"As long as I have a face, you'll always have a place to sit." - SlowBlackCar

*insert picture of stock Fit here*

#7758662 - 07/02/14 02:37 PM Re: some people are assholes [Re: Nate047]
Duc Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: MD
 Originally Posted By: Nate047
When I'm wearing a media vest, I don't give a flying fuck whether I'm in a spectator's shot or not. One of us went through the trouble of acquiring the vest, and one did not. They can go fuck themselves if they see a problem with that.

lol

..you can NEVER out train a bad diet -- FitExcellence

#7759106 - 07/02/14 09:16 PM Re: some people are assholes [Re: Duc]
MetalheaD Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Roanoke, VA
You know, I've been lucky enough to meet three or four people who are real pros in this business. All of them were super nice to me, offered me help, use of their gear, all kinds of things.

All of the people who have been dicks to me have been small-time assholes who make no money and really don't do any business at all. They're just jerking themselves off.

So I try to live to that example. Help people, be friendly, and good shit will come your way.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  jsmonet, x, 2000SiRacer, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads