Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#7686319 - 05/09/14 11:49 AM what is your background
Duc Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: MD
what is your background into photography?

a gentleman on the train sparked up a conversation this morning when he saw some of my pictures on my ipad this morning and the easiest way that I could explain it to him was that i'm not a photographer. i'm just a guy with a camera that is taking the time to learn how to take better photographs. I've progressed from taking photos with a point and shoot iphone, to learning the differences between GoPro cameras and post editing, to now taking the time to focus on composition/exposure/shutter speeds, aperture to make a better product.

he liked what I said, gave me some pointers on some of the pictures that I showed him, could see my growth progression in all of my pictures, and recommended that I look into the online photo community that (iirc) chef told me about.

what's your background??

..you can NEVER out train a bad diet -- FitExcellence

Visit Sponsors! Help CSi !
#7686403 - 05/09/14 12:28 PM Re: what is your background [Re: Duc]
Huggy Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
As a little lad back in the homeland my father gave me an old 35mm camera (little lad was probably in my early teens and homeland was somewhere we lived as a kid, lol)... I've always liked photography and amongst all my friends I was told I always took the best photos... since and about 5 years ago got in DSLRs.

#7686491 - 05/09/14 01:00 PM Re: what is your background [Re: Huggy]
busfare Offline
tickets plz
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Dark Side of the Moon
bought a digital camera a while back...yadda yadda yadda...and now i'm poor
#7686715 - 05/09/14 03:26 PM Re: what is your background [Re: Duc]
chef Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: The OC
For whatever reason I always had a camera. Started with a blue 110. Folks got me a big boy camera, a Rebel G when Andre Agassi was the spokesman. Shot for the school paper and yearbooks, took Photo for 3 years in high school. I didn't learn as much as I should have, for some reason the teacher let me slide and I didn't take a lot of the assignments very seriously. Money was tight then too so it was a lot of scrambling to complete stuff late. Dad had a Nikon, I seem to remember him being somewhat serious but I don't know what his proficiency really was.

I bought a d40 in ~2007 or 8, shortly after that we bought some d300s's at work for a time-lapse project I engineered. I shot that in P mode for awhile until I finally buckled down and wanted to figure it all out again. I downloaded every episode of the Photo Focus podcast. Scott was a pompous ass but I was able pluck out the bits that I needed to know, the same with Ken Rockwell. I was able to figure out the different features of my camera through his setup guides, but smart enough to know when to change something to suit my own taste and not his. But, because of the guide and his explanations, I understood what to change. Through listening to the Photo Focus podcast, I was able to pick up some knowledge on different types of meters, some lighting info, some of this some of that. Took a studio lighting class at Calumet one afternoon which gave me the super basics, and have been running with that.
Order my photo prints (New files uploaded)

#7686716 - 05/09/14 03:26 PM Re: what is your background [Re: Duc]
chef Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: The OC
 Originally Posted By: Duc

he liked what I said, gave me some pointers on some of the pictures that I showed him, could see my growth progression in all of my pictures, and recommended that I look into the online photo community that (iirc) chef told me about.
Did he have a goatee? Was his name Bob?
Order my photo prints (New files uploaded)

#7686829 - 05/09/14 05:06 PM Re: what is your background [Re: chef]
LNXGUY Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
Lots of fishing, not many pictures, now lots of fishing and lots of pictures.

#7687072 - 05/09/14 08:30 PM Re: what is your background [Re: LNXGUY]
GSParker
Unregistered

I was asked to be the supervisor of the in-park photo operations at a theme park and tried learning as much as I could about DSLR's and photography in general (I knew enough, but not a lot). I eventually gained a lot of knowledge in my day-to-day as well as with a lot of hands-on learning.

I saved up some money, bought a D70, and have been hooked ever since. I couldn't imagine not having a DSLR.

#7687163 - 05/09/14 10:10 PM Re: what is your background [Re: Duc]
Kierf Offline
The Right Honorable The Lord Mayor Kierf, First Death Notifier Of ClubSi
Post Master Supreme

I'm of Japanese descent.
#7687183 - 05/09/14 10:32 PM Re: what is your background [Re: Kierf]
BobBarker
Unregistered

Hobbyist to the max
#7687604 - 05/10/14 05:33 PM Re: what is your background [Re: ]
Senor Eduardo_82 Offline
miataist
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ca�ada
GWC
#7687650 - 05/10/14 06:49 PM Re: what is your background [Re: Senor Eduardo_82]
scootergeek Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: East of St. Louis
Wasn't smart enough to major in physics.

#7688344 - 05/11/14 06:42 PM Re: what is your background [Re: scootergeek]
MetalheaD Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Roanoke, VA
I usually use Savage seamless paper, but I have a few that are vinyl. And sometimes I just use an interesting wall.

#7689215 - 05/12/14 11:44 AM Re: what is your background [Re: MetalheaD]
skierd Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
Took photo for two years in High school, loved it, but went after money instead of art and tried to get a mechanical engineering degree, and forgot about playing with camera's when everything switched from film to digital and all I wanted to do and could afford was autocrossing. Finally finished with an art degree 10 years later that included a film photography class in my last year that got me back in to it as a hobby.

If I spent half as much time out shooting as I do worrying about not being any good, I'd be a lot better and probably better off...

#7696239 - 05/16/14 06:06 PM Re: what is your background [Re: skierd]
Nate047 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: La La Land, CA
My dad is a retired commercial photographer, I fell into it early, although not without moments of straying in other directions. As of now though, I don't see any other career paths in my future, I love everything about it. And PS: If anyone ever told you that you can't make a ton of cash being a photographer, they don't know what they were talking about.

Nate
"Nate047 > NateSTL" - TenTwelve
"As long as I have a face, you'll always have a place to sit." - SlowBlackCar

*insert picture of stock Fit here*

#7749554 - 06/25/14 04:19 PM Re: what is your background [Re: ]
jsstritz Offline
Post Master Supreme

BFA from RIT back in 2004.

….aaaaaaand now I'm a cop. LOL

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  jsmonet, x, 2000SiRacer, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads