Page 3 of 3 <123
Topic Options
#6041452 - 01/06/12 10:33 AM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: Euphoricuck]
Lewis Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: IA
They should expect these results if they were as strict as he was, and I don't think he was running much till the end.

#6078392 - 01/21/12 11:30 AM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: ]
H Street NW Offline
TheSavior
Poster

Loc: Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Pretty comparable to the last update in all honesty, but I figured why not.

As far as MyFitnessPal.com, I rarely use it as I eat the exact same thing 9 out of 10 days, but to the people that asked or anyone else, feel free to add me and I'll try to stay a bit more consistent. Username is BlkdOutSTI.

Still on Starting Strength 3x per week with cardio 2x, and as much as I wish I could do more lifting wise (4x per week), I'm sticking to the book and doing what's advised. At about 2,300 calories per day now, with a bigggg cut scheduled at the beginning of May.

Other than that, someone asked my height earlier, which is right about 6'2".

Anything else, whether it be feedback, questions, etc. let a ninja know. Thanks!

P.S. - Anyone have any recommendations for stretch marks? I've read around, and haven't really ever come across any one strong consensus for what has the highest regard. Thanks!

#6078404 - 01/21/12 11:39 AM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: H Street NW]
Artvandelay
Unregistered

Excellent work. Looking pretty diesel.

As for the stretch marks, cocoa butter or crack open a vitamin e pill and rub it on

#6078597 - 01/21/12 01:50 PM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: H Street NW]
Sharkticon Offline
FLY ALLEGIANT TODAY!
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Aisle 7
 Originally Posted By: H Street NW

P.S. - Anyone have any recommendations for stretch marks? I've read around, and haven't really ever come across any one strong consensus for what has the highest regard. Thanks!

Mederma ($40) or Hydroxatone ($70).

#6078641 - 01/21/12 02:31 PM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: Sharkticon]
FireInTheWhole Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Port Orange, FL
Congrats, man! Awesome work!
#6078644 - 01/21/12 02:32 PM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: Sharkticon]
FireInTheWhole Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Port Orange, FL
 Originally Posted By: Yo Shark Attack

Does this stuff really work after the marks are already there? I have a ton of them.

#6078813 - 01/21/12 05:01 PM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: FireInTheWhole]
Sharkticon Offline
FLY ALLEGIANT TODAY!
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Aisle 7
 Originally Posted By: FireInTheWhole
 Originally Posted By: Yo Shark Attack

Does this stuff really work after the marks are already there? I have a ton of them.

Mederma worked or me. Although it didn't totally get rid of my stretch marks, it made them less obvious/visible.

#6081379 - 01/23/12 12:01 AM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: Sharkticon]
DieZel Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: 18th green
Kicking ass bro, awesome progress...

Just a note on the whole insulin thing... Silock can point to whatever study he wants, but eating a LOW or NO CARB diet certainly will cause insulin "spikes" but they are not sustained for 3-4 hours as they are when comsuming carbs... they are limited to an hour or so and then decline and get back to where they were prior to the spike, which allows you to burn more fat between feeds...

#6081482 - 01/23/12 04:18 AM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: DieZel]
Silock Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Jayhawk Country
 Originally Posted By: DieZel
Kicking ass bro, awesome progress...

Just a note on the whole insulin thing... Silock can point to whatever study he wants, but eating a LOW or NO CARB diet certainly will cause insulin "spikes" but they are not sustained for 3-4 hours as they are when comsuming carbs... they are limited to an hour or so and then decline and get back to where they were prior to the spike, which allows you to burn more fat between feeds...

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coUlGtAqmNg&feature=player_embedded

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/132/8/2174/F1.large.jpg

http://www.ajcn.org/content/66/5/1264.full.pdf+html

They absolutely are NOT limited to an hour or so. The rise in insulin is concomitant with the increase in caloric intake. There is plenty of scientific evidence showing this to be the case. Not so sure why you're so inclined to ignore solid scientific evidence. Is it because of anecdotal evidence? And it's not as though you cannot store fat when insulin levels are low, because you DEFINITELY can.

The key is controlling for calories. There's really NO reason at all to worry about insulin, or any other hormone, for that matter. If you control calories, the energy deficit will be covered by burning fat, no matter what you've eaten prior. Even IF insulin levels are higher, if you intake the same amount of carb calories as protein calories, the energy burned will be THE SAME, all else being equal.

Something that may be throwing your experience off is that there is a lot of new scientific evidence showing protein to have an actual caloric value of 3.2 kCal per gram, as opposed to the traditionally accepted value of 4, which happens to be the same as the value for carbohydrates. So, when people assume that they are eating the same amount of energy when comparing both foods, they are actually consuming 1/4 less calories when comparing the protein to carb intake. That is a very substantial difference. But again, that is just another way of controlling for calories. Your body will store fat if you give it enough energy to do so, no matter what form that energy comes. Likewise, your body will burn fat, no matter how the energy deficit is attained, and the amount burned will go hand-in-hand with the caloric deficit, and not just the food type.

I'm neither for nor against a low/no carb diet. Do what you want. I don't care. I do low-carb all the time. I like it. I like eggs. I like cow. So, I prefer to eat those things, especially when I can only eat a certain amount of it. However, I'm not deluding myself into thinking that manipulating insulin levels has anything to do with how I cut weight. It's all about the calories in vs. the calories out. I've lost just as much weight eating a "high" carb diet as I have with a low-carb diet.

#6081898 - 01/23/12 10:31 AM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: Silock]
mrnismo Offline
Post Master

Loc: PCB
When I first started messing with low carb diets (or really no carb diets other than vegetables and whatever miniscule amounts are in meats and some cheeses) I was highly confident that it was the 'magic pill' so to speak.

But after being educated by people like Drew and just general internet research I now know what was really going on.

In my case, an 1800-2000 calorie diet with a decent blend of protein carbs and fat left me freaking starving and cranky and fiending for more carbs. But on a 40 or less gram of carbs per day diet with a massive carb refeed on the weekends I still lost weight like a mad man but was extremely satisfied throughout the day and never felt like I was starving myself.

From now on, if I ever want to lose fat I'll go back to low/no carb diets but I do it because it's much easier for me not because I think hormone manipulation or insulin plays any role at all. I know now that those things are best left for those at the pro level that have everything else completely dialed in and are thus looking for any tiny edge they can get.

One other thing that I liked about doing a no carb diet was it was much easier to find out which carbs affected me in what ways. I now know that whole wheat products give me a slight allergic reaction. I still try to minimize wheat but now that I'm eating so much I don't totally avoid it. Thus I have a constant low level sinus thing going on but not bad enough for me to give up bread just yet ;-)

#6082194 - 01/23/12 11:37 AM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: mrnismo]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canadistan
who cares about stretch marks..? embrace the fact you are growing.

#6082760 - 01/23/12 02:28 PM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: Euphoricuck]
DieZel Offline
Post Master Supreme

you guys who think that low carb is a long term solution you're wrong... you have to change up cause your body adapts too quickly for your body to sustain changes...

and Silock we'll just agree to disagree on the whole insulin thing... I personally have measured my insulin levels over weeks in the past to see how what foods affected my blood sugars...

and if you think that your body automatically goes to your fat stores to burn energy when there's a caloric deficiet you are mistaken as well... SORELY mistaken... your body will canibalize lean tissues more easily than it will attack and burn fat... you have to release fat into the bloodstream to burn it off, and if you do release it into the bloodstream if you don't burn it off, it can and will just redeposit itself elsewhere in your body...

Las thing i will say is just to reiterate that a low carb diet is NOT a long term solution... doing so for an extended period of time can really fuck with your metabolism and put you farther behind than where you started originally...

This goes the same for people who do these ultra low calorie diets... your body will adapt to that as well typically... it is a good thing short term but you need to have baseline days as well, to "reset"...? your metabolism, so to speak...

i will agree that it's pretty simple, if you are taking in MORE cals than you are burning you will store fat, NO MATTER WHAT MACRO NUTRIENT PROFILE you are consuming... if you are taking in less you may "lose weight", but ti doesn't neccesarily mean you are "burning fat"...

i find fault in your argument that protien causes the same insulin response as carbs... if you're combinging carbs WITH protien then YES you STILL get an elevated and sustained insulin response... show me a study that shows the effects of a protien and fats meal and it's response on insulin...

We could go round and round on this for weeks, but in the end i'll just let my results or lack thereof speak for themselves...

#6082763 - 01/23/12 02:30 PM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: ]
DieZel Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: OBGYN1
I did low carb for so long it didn't even work anymore...

I have a cut coming up and I was just going to eat really low carbs and cals for 4-8 weeks....but now? Dunno...

that's too long... you want to train your body to go after the fat for a week, THEN you have to add carb up days back in... it's not a long term solution... it makes TOTAL sense that it didn't work for you... your body adapted... it's just like lifting, you gotta change up, trick your body into not knowing what's going to happen next... if it knows, hey this asshole isn't going to give me any carbs AGAIN, i'll show him...

#6082793 - 01/23/12 02:39 PM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: Euphoricuck]
HX_Guy Offline
Please blame any typos on my executive assistant
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Euphoric
who cares about stretch marks..? embrace the fact you are growing.

I figured he was talking about stretch marks from when he was overweight.
2022 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate

#6083260 - 01/23/12 04:56 PM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: HX_Guy]
Back 5 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: CA
Fantastic job OP. You have killed the weight loss and looking strong. Let everyone realize the power of resolve and willpower.

OB1 as another shining example.

#6083321 - 01/23/12 05:19 PM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: ]
Silock Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: OBGYN1
So how, Drew, do you recommend keeping insulin low and GH higher while dieting and/or fasting? Or have you even bothered?

It's always good to keep GH high, which is why it's great to fast and workout, as you get a gigantic GH spike.

Insulin doesn't matter.

#6083422 - 01/23/12 05:56 PM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: DieZel]
Silock Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: DieZel
and Silock we'll just agree to disagree on the whole insulin thing... I personally have measured my insulin levels over weeks in the past to see how what foods affected my blood sugars...

With what? Do you have unfettered access to a medical lab? Because that's what it takes to measure insulin levels. Now, if you are talking about BLOOD SUGAR levels, that is completely different. It is possible to spike insulin and have low blood sugar. In fact, that's exactly what protein does, because *drum roll* IT DOESN'T CONTAIN ANY SUGAR! But it stimulates the release of insulin, again, because insulin is an anabolic hormone that is used for nutrient transport, uptake and storage.

Quote:
and if you think that your body automatically goes to your fat stores to burn energy when there's a caloric deficiet you are mistaken as well... SORELY mistaken... your body will canibalize lean tissues more easily than it will attack and burn fat... you have to release fat into the bloodstream to burn it off, and if you do release it into the bloodstream if you don't burn it off, it can and will just redeposit itself elsewhere in your body...

Where are you getting this misinformation from? That is totally and completely false.

"In short-term fasting, some of the glucose required by the brain is provided by liver glycogen, the reserve being exhausted within 48 hours. If the human body is to withstand fasting, it must mobilize 1800 kcal/day and produce 186 g of glucose mainly for the central nervous system. Eighty percent of the energy requirements are provided by lipolysis of adipose tissue where 160 g of triglycerides are split into fatty acids and glycerol. Approximately 75 g of muscle proteins, i.e. nearly 300 g of muscle, per day are mobilized to provide the substrate for gluconeogenesis. If protein breakdown were to continue at the initial rate, roughly one-third of the total body proteins would be exhausted in 3 weeks, which is incompatible with survival."

http://www.nutrition-partner.com/index.cfm?C27B8FF7FABF494CAA480EF21E0D228D

Now, the second part of that quote is why it's EXTREMELY important, especially in a caloric deficit, to maintain adequate protein intake. You have to have it in order to maintain your muscle.

But, other things help out with muscle retention on extremely low-calorie diets. Namely, resistance exercise.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10204826

In this study, resistance exercise preserved lean body mass and actually increased their resting metabolic rate, despite being on an 800-calorie per day liquid diet. Exercise is a very powerful thing.

Quote:
Las thing i will say is just to reiterate that a low carb diet is NOT a long term solution... doing so for an extended period of time can really fuck with your metabolism

Disagree, but that's seemingly a topic for another time, so I'll just leave it at the "agree to disagree" station.

Quote:
i find fault in your argument that protien causes the same insulin response as carbs... if you're combinging carbs WITH protien then YES you STILL get an elevated and sustained insulin response... show me a study that shows the effects of a protien and fats meal and it's response on insulin...

Look at the last study from the post you're responding to. It includes insulin response to whole protein-rich foods and their associated fatty acids. There absolutely is an insulin spike.

Quote:
We could go round and round on this for weeks, but in the end i'll just let my results or lack thereof speak for themselves...

There's no reason to take that kind of attitude. No one here is saying that your methods do not work. Hell, I'm telling you over and over again that I've USED those methods to get extremely ripped. It absolutely works. What I'm saying is that all that concern about hormones and carbs and all the other bullshit is completely unnecessary. I'm honestly not trying to be militant with my arguments, so please don't take them as such. I like hearing opposing viewpoints. But I'll stick with my scientific evidence. I've not seen any from your arguments.

#6751343 - 12/04/12 12:40 PM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: Silock]
H Street NW Offline
TheSavior
Poster

Update at the top.
#6751555 - 12/04/12 01:53 PM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: H Street NW]
DieZel Offline
Post Master Supreme

Man, I've learned alot in the last 12 months... and I'll leave it at that... too much "bro" reading on my part in the past...

Glad I actually learned more about physiology and metabolism in the last year...

Anyone natural shouldn't really give 2 shits about insulin...

#6753110 - 12/05/12 09:39 AM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: DieZel]
Lewis Offline
Post Master Supreme

Let's go!

#7732157 - 06/12/14 10:58 PM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: Lewis]
H Street NW Offline
TheSavior
Poster

Damn, I've made some progress looking back. As of today...

Edited by H Street NW (06/12/14 11:01 PM)

#7732486 - 06/13/14 09:15 AM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: H Street NW]
HotHB Offline
Post Master Supreme

Nice dude. Congrats
#7732940 - 06/13/14 12:46 PM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: HotHB]
Lewis Offline
Post Master Supreme

REPRESENT

#7733864 - 06/14/14 12:47 AM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: H Street NW]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: RI
Damn. Great job, mein!!!

still have an EM1--go figure

#7734010 - 06/14/14 10:25 AM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: gamby]
Agent Orange Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Suburbs of Colorado
Wow man, hell of a post! Congratulations on the success you're seeing from your handwork and discipline. Keep it up and keep us updated!

#7734117 - 06/14/14 12:55 PM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: Agent Orange]
H Street NW Offline
TheSavior
Poster

And the OG picture that apparently isn't around anymore...

And now...

Edited by H Street NW (06/14/14 01:13 PM)

#7734317 - 06/14/14 03:32 PM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: H Street NW]
Agent Orange Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Suburbs of Colorado
Damn dude, you could turn that transformation into a career, lolinstagramcoacheslol. What macros / calories are you running now? Still on 5x5?

#7734434 - 06/14/14 05:17 PM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: Agent Orange]
Silock Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Nice work, mang!
#7734586 - 06/14/14 08:33 PM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: Silock]
Lewis Offline
Post Master Supreme

I want at least 25% credit for this transformation. #Iowa

#7744110 - 06/22/14 05:36 PM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: Lewis]
H Street NW Offline
TheSavior
Poster

Originally Posted By: Lewis
I want at least 25% credit for this transformation. #Iowa

I can deal with that.

#7746853 - 06/24/14 10:43 AM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: H Street NW]
kaige Offline
Jr Member

Loc: SoCal
Looking great. Just wondering, what are your lift #'s?
Page 3 of 3 <123

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads