Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#7619271 - 03/26/14 01:55 PM Badass cycling stuff inside (family friends going pro)
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
So my dad was stationed with and trained with these kids dad when we lived in Guam in the late 80's. Fast forward almost 30 years and the kids end up going to the high school in Northern California where my brother teaches and coached them in cross country. (Keep in mind that this was after 25 years of having no contact with their family...my brother just happened to recognize the last name.)

Anyways...here's an update we got from them:

Powless kid update,

As the current top Junior Mountain and Road biker in the USA, Neilson Powless has just been selected to represent both the USA Jr. National Team on both teams. At age 17, Still a junior at Roseville High School, Powless started off his season with some big wins after signing contracts with Specialized bikes for both the Road and Mt. Biking (with Team Whole Athlete).

After bridging over a 2 min. gap in the Valley of the Sun Stage Race in Arizona last month, he ended up 2nd place overall in the general classification in his first ever state race. The race included a time 14 mile time trial, 65 mile road race and ended with a criterium. His results caught the eye of the National Team Road Director Billy Innes, who then selected Powless to the National Team to race in the upcoming Paris Roubaix (later this month). In addition, Powless will also race in Europe the Grevenbicht Criterium in the Netherlands, the Paris Roubaix in France, then finally the Ster van Zuid Limburg in Belgium.

In the meantime, Powless was also making his mark in his mountain biking and had more big results over the past two weeks winning both of the US Cup Races in Bonneli Park and Fontana, Calif.. Within an hour of the invitations to race in Europe, the USA mountain bike director, Marc Gullickson invited Neilson to ride on the National MTB team at the upcoming Pam American Games/Championships. Powless departs tomorrow for Brazil to represent the 17-19 Jr. MTB Pan Am Games.

Neilson is taking plenty of school work with him as he continues to represent his high school and racing on five different biking teams including:

1.) Roseville High School’s first ever Mountain biking Team

2.) Whole Athlete Mountain Biking Team

3.) Specials Jr. Road Bike Team

4.) USA Jr. National Mountain Biking Team and

5.) USA Jr. Road Biking Team

It will be interesting to watch the development as there has never been a USA athlete try and juggle two different elite level teams of this caliber on Mountain and Road before.

Neilson hopes to be a positive ambassador for his high school as well as his commitment to his other teams as well.

His sister, Shayna Powless (who is in her second year at UCLA) riding professionally for Team BMC also qualified as our National Champion U23 MTB rider. She was also selected to race the Pan American Championships, but was sidelined by illness. She will have to wait to race with her brother later this summer in Europe. They expect to make their next debut together later in May for the Czech Republic and Albstat, Germany World Cups.

Edited by Mrs. Ironmom (03/26/14 04:44 PM)

#7619331 - 03/26/14 02:28 PM Re: Badass cycling stuff inside (family friends owning it) [Re: Sir Ironpool]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Nor Cal, Hella hurr durr
l337, I have no idea what any of that means but AWESOME!

#7620157 - 03/26/14 11:19 PM Re: Badass cycling stuff inside (family friends going pro) [Re: Sir Ironpool]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: RI
Crazy. I wonder how far they'll both go. Obviously an insanely competitive sport where it's so hard to work toward the top, but holy shit, they both seem to have some insane talent/ability.

Riding Roubaix at 17 is CRAY.

Pretty damn cool.

still have an EM1--go figure

#7620185 - 03/27/14 12:04 AM Re: Badass cycling stuff inside (family friends going pro) [Re: gamby]
Silock Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Jayhawk Country
Can you borrow some EPO from him?
Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads