Page 29 of 60 « First<2728293031>Last »
Topic Options
#7592310 - 03/07/14 03:06 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: robbbby]
shamrok Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma
if you aren't racing - look at the Secteur Elite - pretty comfy, good group on it, BB7 disc brakes and bit more relaxed geometry. Tarmac/Venge are the race bitches (of course they will still ride awesome regardless of what you are doing)

Because IRC is just filled with gems like this

#7592606 - 03/07/14 07:27 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: shamrok]
robbbby Offline
master electrician
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canada
The only reason I want to get a new road bike is so that I can do the local races, but I know that other than the races I probably wouldn't ride it much.
I do enjoy road riding and used to do a ton on my shitty norco that's permanently attached to my trainer, but the problem is that out where I live, road riding sucks. Everything is flat and straight and the scenery is nothing but crop fields and windmills, absolutely boring.

#7594550 - 03/10/14 02:06 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: robbbby]
shamrok Offline
Post Master Sr

Well, had by far one of the most physically draining rides today - and it was only 22 miles. Why?

the first 6-7 miles was nothing but this

then tack on another 6 miles climbing/descending(scary as shit and it's paved) this on mtb's

1000ft ascent in under 3 miles

#7596048 - 03/10/14 06:44 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: shamrok]
robbbby Offline
master electrician
Post Master Supreme

I really need to move, I live in the worst place in the world for mountain biking.
#7596082 - 03/10/14 07:18 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: robbbby]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Nor Cal, Hella hurr durr
Oklahoma might be the second worst \:\)

#7596234 - 03/10/14 09:18 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: stickaz_old]
shamrok Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: stickaz
Oklahoma might be the second worst \:\)

pshaw - that IS Oklahoma

#7596362 - 03/11/14 12:00 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: shamrok]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: RI
I hope to get out for a bit on the (road) singlespeed tomorrow. Saturday is supposed to be nice (other plans might fall through, so the bike will be the fill-in). Spring break (from teaching) is next week and it looks like I'll be blessed with shit weather for the brunt of the week. Fuck this winter.

still have an EM1--go figure

#7601357 - 03/13/14 02:08 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
shamrok Offline
Post Master Sr

fck - this early part of season has sucked for weather

here is to 6 hours of potential wet chammy time this weekend

#7601376 - 03/13/14 02:16 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: shamrok]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

I don't know if this datapoint is worth anything to anybody but I'm pushing 40 [sigh] and the normal 'race' geometry of a CAAD-10 doesnt bother me at all. I dont ride in the drops much but whatever. I'd always shied away from road bikes and was a pure mtbiker. I'm not particularly young, athletic, or flexible either and it doesnt bother me or hurt my back. Surfing bugs my back far more these days.

Then again a relaxed geo bike might be even nicer. Just saying maybe you dont have to be scared of a normal 'race' bike. Of course I'm not riding a century anytime soon.

Found a nice extension on my commute...tip of the South Bay to downtown San Jose. Totally full of joggers hogging both lanes it's pretty cray. Had a couple of full stops but whatever

#7604150 - 03/15/14 04:00 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: stickaz_old]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Denver, CO
101.5 miles today with 20mph winds. fucking sucked. it actually put me in a bad mood because i got mad at myself for being so dumb to ride that far.

http://www.strava.com/activities/120939937

#7604185 - 03/15/14 05:20 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: nato2377]
shamrok Offline
Post Master Sr

Finally a race today. 5 laps in with a 1mi prologue and lemans start. Guy with speed sensor said it was 55-56mi. Somewhere around 5500-5600 climbing.

5:49!

I need some beer

#7604209 - 03/15/14 06:01 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: shamrok]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

nice work!
#7604212 - 03/15/14 06:02 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: robbbby]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: robbbby
The only reason I want to get a new road bike is so that I can do the local races, but I know that other than the races I probably wouldn't ride it much.
I do enjoy road riding and used to do a ton on my shitty norco that's permanently attached to my trainer, but the problem is that out where I live, road riding sucks. Everything is flat and straight and the scenery is nothing but crop fields and windmills, absolutely boring.

that sucks its flat and boring. we have a lot of variety around here, especially hills. i can get 1000ft climb in 10 miles real easy. i do all my training on the road and barely touch my mtb aside from races

#7604570 - 03/16/14 10:25 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: nato2377]
robbbby Offline
master electrician
Post Master Supreme

It was about 42 out yesterday and I almost went outside for a ride but decided against it when I saw how windy it was. Back down to 18 today, i'm getting sick of this shit, I know I was already riding outdoors this time last year.

On a bit of an unrelated note, my sister texted me yesterday and said she was invited to a testing for the Canadian womens track cycling team, and that she was on the way to her test. She called me later to let me know how she did, the test consisted of 6 second sprints and a 3 minute all out. She averaged just under 1200 watts on the 6 second sprints and is awaiting email results of the 3 minute test. I guess the coaches were blown away with her power and invited her to a training camp in may in L.A.
She has no cycling experience whatsoever, so I was kind of shocked by all this.

#7604607 - 03/16/14 11:26 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: robbbby]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

thats pretty fucking awesome!
#7604982 - 03/16/14 06:24 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: nato2377]
shamrok Offline
Post Master Sr

here it is - laps ended up being 11mi a pop

#7605447 - 03/17/14 09:35 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: robbbby]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

It was about 42 out yesterday and I almost went outside for a ride but decided against it when I saw how windy it was. Back down to 18 today, i'm getting sick of this shit, I know I was already riding outdoors this time last year.

On a bit of an unrelated note, my sister texted me yesterday and said she was invited to a testing for the Canadian womens track cycling team, and that she was on the way to her test. She called me later to let me know how she did, the test consisted of 6 second sprints and a 3 minute all out. She averaged just under 1200 watts on the 6 second sprints and is awaiting email results of the 3 minute test. I guess the coaches were blown away with her power and invited her to a training camp in may in L.A.

FUCK. Your sis is a natural!!! (and proof that I have no natural talent) Dem watts.

It's my Spring break from teaching this week, so when the weather goes above 40, I'll be out there (17 out right now--this fucking winter). I'd LOVE to get as close to 100 miles in for the week as possible.

Looking at last year, it took forever for the weather to warm up then, so the miles were minimal at this point then, too. Hopefully, this week can put me way ahead of last year in terms of getting a mileage jump on the season.

#7605508 - 03/17/14 10:02 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Wew 12 new PRs on my new extended-commute, avgd 17.1 over 14.4m including 2 panic stops for joggers and maybe 10 minutes of 5-8mph on connecting gravel trails

Cat 6 racing in effect. Exchanged the "lead" with some fat(ter) fuck on a Schwinn labelled turd lol, yes I know I am not fast lol. But I smashed my former PRs with the extra motivation from this guy who wasn't even carrying a backpack or commuting (the nerve)
Was thinking about turning this into a brick with a 5k jog after it maybe on Fridays (ouch)

#7605729 - 03/17/14 12:06 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: stickaz_old]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

If you're holding 20-21mph, you're moving--commute or not.

Nice work.

#7605979 - 03/17/14 02:31 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
shamrok Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: g@mby
If you're holding 20-21mph, you're moving--commute or not.

Nice work.

that

#7606047 - 03/17/14 03:12 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: shamrok]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Tailwind \:\|

#7607154 - 03/18/14 11:55 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: stickaz_old]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

I love a good tailwind. I hope to encounter one sometime.

BTW--what was her previous/current sport of choice. I'm wondering where that power/conditioning got groomed.

Forgot to add--the first ride-through of the new TT course is tonight at 5. There is some road construction that will impede a ton of the route. Apparently the new course will be around 12 miles (old was 14.3) and will omit one of the massive climbs.

It'll be around 38 out at 5. I guess I'll muddle it out on the backup bike.

Edited by g@mby (03/18/14 11:58 AM)

#7607978 - 03/18/14 08:43 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
robbbby Offline
master electrician
Post Master Supreme

I love a good tailwind. I hope to encounter one sometime.

BTW--what was her previous/current sport of choice. I'm wondering where that power/conditioning got groomed.

She was competitive in the 400M and longjump all through highschool and university. After that she spent 3 or 4 years on the Canadian womens world cup bobsled team. It's been 2 or 3 years now since she's participated in anything but she still lifts regularly. Funny thing is she just had surgery to repair her ACL or MCL only 6 months ago.

#7608175 - 03/18/14 11:53 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: robbbby]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Oh shit--well then she was definitely groomed for track cycling. That's all wattage. Keep us updated on her progress.

I rode the new TTC course this evening. A little over 12 miles and much less climbing than the old one although there is one climb that's still a bitch. Hammered the hills in 38 degrees and my lungs were toast (add in a 4 mile cool down). Short ride, but spirited enough to be worthwhile. Hope to do at least 30 tomorrow.

The Trek steelie got a new chain and a repackaged BB (oldschool wut wut) and it's making a LOT less noise now. Still a heavy bike tho

#7608198 - 03/19/14 02:53 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: robbbby]
ehko Offline
Quit being gay...
Post Master Sr

Loc: Barrie, Ontario
A friend of mine is on that team.
#7608210 - 03/19/14 06:04 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
robbbby Offline
master electrician
Post Master Supreme

Oh shit--well then she was definitely groomed for track cycling. That's all wattage. Keep us updated on her progress.

She has a good career now so I don't think she's going to drop it and pursue track cycling. She said she accepted the invitation as a personal challenge and most likely won't be accepting their offer to go to the training camp.

#7608491 - 03/19/14 09:30 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: robbbby]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

\:\(

#7609871 - 03/19/14 11:17 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Well, my regular bike path is STILL too frozen over to take a road bike on it. Got out there on the steelie roadie and made it halfway before it was impassable.

Came back with the MTB (with a fresh 26x2.3 up front, 2.1 out back) and went at it. Rough going through the frozen sections (bailed once at about 3mph--snow was soft, so no biggie). Eventually, I found that the worst sections could be navigated with it in the granny gear--just spin and steer.

There were only 4 really bad sections to deal with, but I had to hit the 4 on the way out and on the way back. 31 miles for the day, which is almost what I wanted (was hoping for 35-40). It's raining now--hopefully it'll do so for much of the night, as weatherbug says it will.

#7612285 - 03/21/14 01:15 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

jesus christ

new PB on my commute \:o

and I jogged a slow 5k after it [3 minute transition] in 27:10 or so [8:47 pace/mi] my legs got a little wobbly around mile 2

pay no attention to my KOM , i created that segment and you have to follow a very specific route

#7612676 - 03/21/14 04:22 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: stickaz_old]
robbbby Offline
master electrician
Post Master Supreme

Finally did my first outdoor ride of the season! Knew I wouldn't be able to stomach another trainer ride so I went and bought a cycling jacket and pants for weather that's just above freezing on my lunch.
With the nearly 70 hours I put in on the trainer this winter, I had the best "first ride of the season", that I have ever had and put in a solid 90 minutes of riding. Wanted to keep going but the wind was vicious, unfortunately no amount of trainer riding can prepare you for strong head winds.

#7613889 - 03/22/14 06:49 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: robbbby]
shamrok Offline
Post Master Sr

3rd today - remind me that racing with a chest cold is fucking miserable.. MISERABLE

#7614801 - 03/23/14 10:18 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: shamrok]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

117 miles last week, now back into the deep freeze--frigid tomorrow, snow likely on Wed. No thaw til Saturday. Fuck this winter.

#7614808 - 03/23/14 10:24 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
You guys are too hardcore. I was shivering at the start of my race this morning....it was like 64 degrees!!!!

#7614829 - 03/23/14 10:58 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Sir Ironpool]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

64 will literally feel like summer.

20+ mph gusts in 38 degree cloudy conditions for me this afternoon. Feet got a little chilly.

#7623928 - 03/29/14 09:34 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: robbbby]
robbbby Offline
master electrician
Post Master Supreme

Finally did my first outdoor ride of the season! Knew I wouldn't be able to stomach another trainer ride so I went and bought a cycling jacket and pants for weather that's just above freezing on my lunch.
With the nearly 70 hours I put in on the trainer this winter, I had the best "first ride of the season", that I have ever had and put in a solid 90 minutes of riding. Wanted to keep going but the wind was vicious, unfortunately no amount of trainer riding can prepare you for strong head winds.

Game over for me by the looks of it. After the above ride last Friday I went out again the following day, half hour in started to get some knee pain, turned around and by the time I got home it was a sharp pain with every pedal stroke.
Sunday I tried to do some light spinning on the trainer and within 5 pedals strokes I realized it wasn't worth it.
Tried again on Tuesday, made it about 10 minutes on the trainer before it started hurting and I stopped immediately.
Decided the best course of action would be to let it be, so I did no riding until today. Went out this morning in the lovely 32 degree weather and made it probably 20 minutes before it started hurting.

I have no idea what I should do at this point, i'm actually feeling really depressed about the whole thing. I worked my ass off all winter, something I never do, and I am stronger than I have ever been for the beginning of the season and just want to ride.
Not sure if I should just stay off it for a couple weeks and hope it clears up. Getting in to see a specialist of any sort will take months. Going to my regular doc or the clinic will do nothing but earn me a prescription for an anti inflammatory.

Page 29 of 60 « First<2728293031>Last »

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads