Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#7530973 - 02/02/14 07:26 AM Input shaft bearing bad. Options?
hondanorte Offline
Post Master Jr

2005 Civic, 5MT, 150K. In pretty good shape w/ very few issues so far.

Sounds like a huge baseball card is in the spokes of a really big wheel when the motor is running. This sound goes away completely with the clutch pedal pushed in. Not bad at all in 1st and 2nd gear, gets loud in other gears, quieter under load.

It was getting to the time that I was considering a clutch replacement anyway. So should I get the clutch, throwout and input shaft bearing done? Get seals done while in there? Maybe a low mileage/ rebuilt tranny?

Car is a runner and the GF doesn't want to sell/trade in.

Videos
#7537528 - 02/05/14 01:47 PM Re: Input shaft bearing bad. Options? [Re: hondanorte]
kyden Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Providence, RI
With that mileage, might as well do a clutch while it is out.. I would probably do a mainshaft bearing while you're at it, the bearing isn't too expensive. The problem with getting another used transmission is that you could end up with the same thing.
<x> i had a weird dream <x> where i lived in an apartment complex <x> walked down the street, and kyden and a couple other dudes were living in an apartment and ran outside looking for the maintenance people <x> and something about taking a shit in a sealed toilet

#7538080 - 02/05/14 05:46 PM Re: Input shaft bearing bad. Options? [Re: kyden]
1300cc_Rocket Offline
Post Master Jr

Loc: Ontario
yes no point in just swapping in used parts.
These transmissions are known for bearings going bad in them. cracking open the transmission and putting new bearings in is the long term solution. Have a look at the rear main seal. and of course driveshaft seals at this point.

#7538232 - 02/05/14 07:29 PM Re: Input shaft bearing bad. Options? [Re: 1300cc_Rocket]
hondanorte Offline
Post Master Jr

Pretty much what we decided. New clutch, resurface flywheel, new bearings, new seals, change transmission fluid/oil.
#7556568 - 02/15/14 09:39 PM Re: Input shaft bearing bad. Options? [Re: hondanorte]
4doorEG Moderator Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Overland Park, KS
Yes, those bearings are very common to go out. Replaced both the inputshaft bearings (front and rear) clutch, resurface flywheel, and rear main seal while you are in there.

I've done a lot of the d-series manual transmission ISBs and it's common in b-series transmissions also.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  4doorEG, 10PlanesCrashing 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Brake Kits Cheap
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brakes
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
Cruchfield
Audio/Video/Cameras
DeadWood Knives
Knives, Home & Hunting
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
TireRack
Tires/Wheels/Suspension
Truck Accessories
Tonneaus, Running Boards
1-800-Flowers
Flowers & Gift Baskets
WeatherTech
Coupon Code "take10"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
Artisan Soap Lab
Handcrafted Bodycare
Advertisement

| Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Pads & Rotors | Performance Brake Kits | Porsche Brake Upgrades-Big Brake Kits | WeatherTech Mats -Coupon Code weathertech10