Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#7509846 - 01/21/14 05:05 PM Re: How long does fitness last with inactivity? [Re: Impulsive]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Edmonton
Had physio again today and I think I'm way ahead of schedule - so I just have to keep pushing smartly, and not overdo anything. He's giving me some basic exercises, but I'm mostly doing those and adding my own "real" exercises at home.

I had a good workout yesterday - have been pushing deadlifts (within reason), split squats, was able to Row 145 without issue, did some light close grip bench (regular grip just pulls too hard on the repair - even just the bar). Very light lateral raises, 225 pound shrugs and some straight leg DL. Some of what I've doing is just putting some resistance through any movement that doesn't hurt the repair, which means it doesn't involve the front of the shoulder or any arm range of motion.

I was able to at least touch the chin up bar, but no chance of it bearing any weight just yet. I'm guetting closer to be able to hold the bar for squats. I just want the rest of my body to be ready when I can go 100%.

The hardest thing is still towelling off after a shower and taking off shirts.

#7516925 - 01/25/14 01:53 PM Re: How long does fitness last with inactivity? [Re: Impulsive]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Woot, I can now do a regular push up. Have to keep my hands closer than normal though. Still hurts to bench the bar. Military, squats and chin ups are a complete pipe dream though.

#7534780 - 02/04/14 09:01 AM Re: How long does fitness last with inactivity? [Re: Impulsive]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Tried benching 135 last night, some odd sensations come out of the shoulder (smushing/clicking).

So I quashed that and did elevated push ups on stands. That didn't seem to bother me. I could also do close grip bench without much issue. Just tried dumbell military with 30 pounders for the motion and I can do it if I'm not quite full upright (like a super incline bench). I tried incline dumbell bench too, but it just wasn't comfortable either. So I guess it's pushups for a bit longer.

The strength isn't an issue, it's the bottom of the movement on the barbell and the top of the movement with a dumbell (it clicks/pops). I've been reading that clocks and pops are fairly common.

I was able to do some abbreviated chin ups, so that is a step. Pull ups are a no go. I'm going to try front squats this week.

Physio is pushing my flexibility, so that seems to be improving. I can now actually reach the bar for a pull up, just not put weight on it.

#7576525 - 02/26/14 04:42 PM Re: How long does fitness last with inactivity? [Re: Impulsive]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

I'm now not limited by much other than a touch of flexbility and moderate discomfort. I can do full chin/pulls ups with some discomfort at the bottom of the range of motion. I can squat (though holding the weight is very tough). I am able to do some lighter military press and bench.

Since they cut through my deltoid to get to the inside of my shoulder, that seems to be the source of my pain/weakness right now. Oddly, I can do deep, elevated pushups no problem, but benching medium amounts of weight last night was uncomfortable. I through up 85 on the dumbells and that was easier. Much be the straight bar pushing my elbows in a certain direction.

I've pretty much given up on physio though. Shit's too easy.

#7578676 - 02/27/14 12:40 PM Re: How long does fitness last with inactivity? [Re: Impulsive]
McCavityCat Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: MA
sounds like you body is just trying to load up that deltoid on any type of movement you are doing? Is everything else still that strong that the weakest link syndrome is just falling into place for you?

That would frustrate me to no end. Body being ready for a 225lb bench and being stuck at 95 because of one muscle/area.

#7578872 - 02/27/14 01:55 PM Re: How long does fitness last with inactivity? [Re: McCavityCat]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

It is frustrating, but most recovery is 6 months for this and I'm just past three. I'm pretty much ready to go all out on everything, but this is still limiting a few keys exercises.

#7579004 - 02/27/14 03:16 PM Re: How long does fitness last with inactivity? [Re: Impulsive]
McCavityCat Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: MA
 Originally Posted By: Impulsive
It is frustrating, but most recovery is 6 months for this and I'm just past three. I'm pretty much ready to go all out on everything, but this is still limiting a few keys exercises.

Yea makes sense. I have never had something that serious where is kept me out of full activity for months.
Longest i had was a month for a broken ankle and i wasnt really training hard then anyways.

#7581777 - 02/28/14 10:43 PM Re: How long does fitness last with inactivity? [Re: McCavityCat]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Tonight I did some speedbag and punching bag work. Physio told me that fast twitch was the last thing to come back and still the most dangerous to reinjure. They gave me useless rubber band exercises, so I figured, what better fast twitch then punching?

Flet not bad. I need to put my punching bag higher, since it's a touch low and the higher you go, the more risky it is I guess.

#7596653 - 03/11/14 09:18 AM Re: How long does fitness last with inactivity? [Re: Impulsive]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Able to rep 225 on the bench and throw up 95 on the dumbells, so it's coming. I have to be very deliberate/slow in the movement as it's still tender. This seems like the last thing to come along. I was also able to do a good amount of weighted chin/pulls ups, so that's almost back to 100%.

I was also able to play a bit of rec hockey (still babying the arm).

Not much left to update beyond this. I'm guessing a few more weeks and I'll be pushing back into the upper half of 200's for reps in bench.

Shit, just looked back and it was only a month ago where benching 135 was too much.

So no more updates unless my arm falls off.

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads