Page 5 of 9 « First<34567>Last »
Topic Options
#6930711 - 03/03/13 09:16 PM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: ReplicaR]
ReplicaR Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: E.E.B.
The wheels... I can has full set.

Acceleration.... \:\( -------+-- \:\)
Handling......... \:\( -------+-- \:\)
Speed............ \:\( ------+--- \:\)

Videos
#6932178 - 03/04/13 03:54 PM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: ReplicaR]
FCobra94 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: MD
Wheels/tires look great!

#6932420 - 03/04/13 06:46 PM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: FCobra94]
ReplicaR Offline
Post Master Sr

Thanks. I can't wait to have it out at the track. I haven't been to a proper track event since December 2011. I'm going to try to make it to Buttonwillow in a month. This will be the first shakedown for the car.

#6934722 - 03/05/13 07:19 PM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: ReplicaR]
LNXGUY Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
Is this normal for getting an engine built? Seems like one thing after another.. I'd be fucking pissed off

#6934861 - 03/05/13 08:40 PM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: LNXGUY]
ReplicaR Offline
Post Master Sr

Its the story of my life. Nothing ever goes right when I do a big build. Its ok though, I've got a daily driver, so mustang downtime does not bother me as much. Should be running pretty stout by the end of the month. Then shakedown at Buttonwillow in april

#6935683 - 03/06/13 09:45 AM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: ReplicaR]
LNXGUY Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
I am looking forward to positive updates from you, lol. I'm sure it will be nice to finally get it back on the track.

#6935951 - 03/06/13 11:39 AM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: LNXGUY]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Edmonton
 Originally Posted By: LNXGUY
Is this normal for getting an engine built? Seems like one thing after another.. I'd be fucking pissed off

I think you'd be amazed at how bad even reputable shops are. Always take longer than planned (usually 2-3 times as long), there are often lingering issues, they fix about half the issues in double the visits, then you're left to sort the remaining ones.

#6936101 - 03/06/13 12:18 PM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: Impulsive]
ReplicaR Offline
Post Master Sr

This is why I'm having 3 different shops work on the list I've got. Here is my to do list.

Shop that built the motor:
- Oil Leak from the harmonic balancer
- Oil Leak from rear of engine, scatter shield
- Transmission fluid leak

Shop that did tuning:
- Tune
-- Very rich idle
-- Backfire through intake
-- High idle
--- Starts at 1000 in the morning
--- Rises to 1500 - 1700 once driven
-- High idle hang
--- 1500 - 1700 when it motion
--- Would be better if 1100
-- Possible Cause:
--- Check for bent pushrod
--- Check for loose rocker
- Intake Manifold: Trick Flow R-Series
-- Install
-- Tune
- Check for exhaust leaks
- Install strut tower brace
- Cap off vacuum line from Brake Booster (no longer in use)

My fabricator friend

- Coolant overflow bottle
- Oil breather hose into oil catch can, routed back into intake
- Reroute battery cable, replace zip ties with proper cable hangers
- Install 99+ V8 Pedal set, move hydroboost unit where it should be
- Fabricate and install clutch cable bracket to work with new oil pan
- Install starter
- Route air injection hoses, clear them away from exhaust.
- Check hydroboost lines for leaks
- Install K-member brace
- Adapt intake elbow to work with 80mm MAF

#6938482 - 03/07/13 01:31 PM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: ReplicaR]
ReplicaR Offline
Post Master Sr

Ok, the car is at the tune shop. They have intake manifold, and they will also order an MSD box as well, just to smooth out the rpm band. The question is, will the new intake manifold and ignition box plus removed cats deliver at least 24 rwhp and more top end range? I'll find out next week.

#6939133 - 03/07/13 06:19 PM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: ReplicaR]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Nor Cal, Hella hurr durr
cats are usually 5-10. Have my doubts about the intake unfortunately \:\(

good luck

#6939145 - 03/07/13 06:33 PM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: stickaz_old]
ReplicaR Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: STICKY!

good luck

Well, the current intake is holding the cam back. It's peaking at 5200, where the cam is actually good for power past 6k. I'm really hoping to see more range and higher peak power with it.

#6939189 - 03/07/13 07:22 PM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: ReplicaR]
NVMYMPGZ Offline
Sr Member

Loc: White Plains, NY
24 whp would be a ridiculous gain for intake and some stronger spark. Good luck!

Edit: just saw the most recent list, brake booster no longer used? Have you converted to manual brakes?

#6939202 - 03/07/13 07:38 PM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: NVMYMPGZ]
ReplicaR Offline
Post Master Sr

No, I went to hydroboost off the later modular SN95. Cam was not building enough vacuum, so I had 3 choices. Go with vacuum pump, go manual, or go hydroboost. I've picked hydroboost.

#6940565 - 03/08/13 01:16 PM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: ReplicaR]
FCobra94 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: MD
Why are you choosing to get rid of the cats? That sounds like a PITA when it comes time for emissions, etc.

#6940602 - 03/08/13 01:26 PM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: FCobra94]
ReplicaR Offline
Post Master Sr

This motor will not pass emissions, I'm certain of that. I still have the stock H-pipe, but I'm pretty sure that the cam is too wild for the great state of California.

#6940672 - 03/08/13 01:49 PM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: stickaz_old]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: STICKY!

good luck

I think 320WH or so is pretty weak for the combo he has. A solid tune, no cats and better breathing intake should really wake this up. Power peak at 5200 rom is pretty low with those parts.

#6966419 - 03/21/13 07:11 PM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: Impulsive]
ReplicaR Offline
Post Master Sr

So bad news everybody. While the intake manifold was getting installed, it was discovered that my cam gear was ground down... cam is getting replaced with a billet custom grind and distributor gear will be replaced with composite one. Since we are going custom, I will most likely make the cam slightly more aggressive than standard off shelf XE282HR. More updates to come.

#6966851 - 03/21/13 11:26 PM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: ReplicaR]
UglyValiant Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Milwaukee, WI
 Originally Posted By: ReplicaR
So bad news everybody. While the intake manifold was getting installed, it was discovered that my cam gear was ground down... cam is getting replaced with a billet custom grind and distributor gear will be replaced with composite one. Since we are going custom, I will most likely make the cam slightly more aggressive than standard off shelf XE282HR. More updates to come.
Likely cause of the running problem, eh?

That sucks...sorry this has turned out to be such a pain!
1989 Shelby CSX (#500/500)
The most powerful production minivan money can buy.

#6968078 - 03/22/13 03:11 PM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: UglyValiant]
ReplicaR Offline
Post Master Sr

Its not the end of the world. I'm getting the cam warrantied. Once we have the specs worked out, cam will be ordered, and work will resume

#6968330 - 03/22/13 05:17 PM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: ReplicaR]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Ugh.

Hopefully this is fixed quick with some awesome results.

#6977870 - 03/27/13 11:30 PM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: Impulsive]
ReplicaR Offline
Post Master Sr

Stopped by the shop today, to check out progress. Had a chance to check out what the cam gear looked like. The teeth were ground down to what looked like knife edge. Really weird. They will take apart the engine next week and find out what caused this.

#7017309 - 04/17/13 12:58 PM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: ReplicaR]
hustler Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Seattle, WA
So where are you at with this. Did they take it a part. It almost sounds like either the cam is not degree'd in correctly and they just threw it in possibly straight up without confirming the cam matched the spec'd cam. Manufacturers do f'up sometimes and then you still have to assume the installer put it in right. I could see how premature wear either to due to mesh misalignment or incorrect gear materials meshing would throw your timing off as well, but if they do pull the timing cover I would verify they have what you bought in there and they are confirming the specs.

I'm going through a similar deal setting up my cam because I have very little PV clearance with the cam installed straight up and 2 degrees retarded on the only retarded keyway. So I'm stuck manipulating a few more degrees by advancing the cam and moving the cam gear over a tooth. It's a bummer because I will no doubt have to run the cam slightly retarded to gain the intake valve clearance.

good read here too..

http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/all-ford-techboard/446050-distributor-gear-nightmare.html

#7018144 - 04/17/13 06:58 PM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: hustler]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

you can always flycut/clearance the eyebrows on the pistons a bit no?

I think the harmonic balancer can soak up a gram or two being removed

#7020199 - 04/18/13 04:58 PM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: stickaz_old]
ReplicaR Offline
Post Master Sr

I'm supposed to find out either today or tomorrow about what's happening. Then we will assess the situation, and take action from there. I'll call shop tomorrow and find out what the deal is.

#7028536 - 04/22/13 04:04 PM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: ReplicaR]
hustler Offline
Post Master Sr

Well that's good to hear you are staying on it. Flycutting pistons will be costly, i will dump money into a one use tool and since the assembly was balanced not sure I want to risk flycutting pistons and taking out too much material. Easier just to retard the cam and give up some torque below 6k.
#7036710 - 04/26/13 12:06 PM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: hustler]
ReplicaR Offline
Post Master Sr

Just got a call from the shop where my car is right now. So, here is the breakdown:

The cam was the right cam I've ordered. The reason why the cam gear wore off is because the retainer plate was not tightened down properly, didn’t have any Loctite on it like it was supposed to. It backed off, leaving the cam to slide back and forward freely. Sounds like a builder error to me. The bearings luckily are not contaminated, but have a bit of a side load wear on them. The shop has suggested putting a main cap girdle on it, to prevent the caps from moving around. Additionally, the torque specs on the bottom end were all over the place.

So, work required is:
1.Replace Ford Racing oil pump with a Melling high volume piece
2.Replace stock oil pump driveshaft with a stronger one
3.Replace all main and rod bearings since the bottom end is already open.
4.Replace press in oil galley plugs on the front of the motor with screw in plugs
5.Install main cap girdle, secure with ARP studs
6.Retorque everything on the engine.
7.Install a more aggressive camshaft. We are still trying to decide which one, but the engine builder wants to square up intake and exhaust, as well as go with 110 LSA over current 112.

I’ve authorized all work, and I’ll give updates to you guys as they come.

#7039867 - 04/28/13 09:57 PM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: ]
ReplicaR Offline
Post Master Sr

About the wheels. The tire is the same I used to run. Wheel is one inch wider, and 4 lbs lighter than what I used to have (95 Cobra Rs)

#7053417 - 05/06/13 04:41 PM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: ReplicaR]
ReplicaR Offline
Post Master Sr

Some follow up pictures of damage to camshaft.

You can see in the images above where the backing plate bolt backed off, and let the camshaft slide loose around the motor. It wasn’t much, but it was enough to do this.

The camshaft gear teeth are like knife’s edges at this point, I probably had another 50 miles before they would have been gone completely. I’ve sent a detailed email to original shop that did the work first time, explaining everything, and asking him to pay the bill. We’ll see what happens. I already have a case pending with Amex.

#7054774 - 05/07/13 11:27 AM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: ReplicaR]
UglyValiant Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Milwaukee, WI
Good luck w/ that...though I'll be surprised if you get more than a few hundred dollars.

The reality is that the first shop should submit your bill to their insurance carrier and take the hit on their screw-up. But too often professional pride steps in and they'll want to fight it. I'd be ready to take them to small claims court, or see if Judge Judy has any openings, lol.
1989 Shelby CSX (#500/500)
The most powerful production minivan money can buy.

#7054814 - 05/07/13 11:43 AM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: UglyValiant]
ReplicaR Offline
Post Master Sr

I'll get American Express involved first. Then we'll see what happens.

#7055148 - 05/07/13 01:51 PM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: ReplicaR]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

this is why we can't have nice things \:\(

#7055538 - 05/07/13 03:59 PM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: stickaz_old]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

It is so hard to deal with any shop, even reputable ones seem like junk the minute something goes wrong.

#7055632 - 05/07/13 04:34 PM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: Impulsive]
hustler Offline
Post Master Sr

You've had a good attitude through this. Just stay with it. Could be that while degree'ing cam they didn't loctite the bolts, they don't take a lot of torque on the retaining plate like you mentioned on the last go around, or they didn't check end play to make sure it was within tolerance. I'm finding out how much detail work goes into engine assembly and it requires a lot of knowledge and time to do things right. This kind of stuff can be trying on your patience, it's tough. I've had to invest considerable money in specific tools to engine assembly. The only way I've been able to justify it is that I would have payed that much or more in labor for someone else. I may blow up mine though on the first kick over anyway but that's what I have convinced myself of ;\) Keep a good head and you'll get it going.

Also be careful with HV pumps, they will really contribute to grinding away at any bronze or composite teeth with the extra load on the pumps if you have any misalignment. you will be racing the engine for sustained periods and need good oil pressure, but the windsor oiling design was pretty good. better than the cleveland as i've learned in recent years. i've twisted the stock pump shaft after some internal pump piece failed and jambed between the pump gears which locked the pump and turned the shaft into a twizzler stick. I replaced it with a Coast High Hardened piece, but the reality is even that would have snapped or something else would have snapped in my particular case. My guess is if the pump didn't fail, the distributor gear would have been the next weak link. Either way the pan would have had to come off assuming i shut it off in time before crap got sucked into a semi working pump. Luckily when I saw no oil pressure i turned the motor off immediately after i heard the pop. i ran it for a few more months with numerous leaks on the rear main before i finally retired it for my last build, but it came out of storage 8 years later and i spent the time sealing the pan and replacing the seal and its finally running good again. my feeling is the stock pump shaft is like a fuse much like basic head gaskets. It's telling you something else is wrong.

#7069112 - 05/14/13 07:30 PM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: hustler]
ReplicaR Offline
Post Master Sr

A bit of an update. The original shop is not paying for the labor done by the new shop, but at least they will refund me for the broken parts. It’s not what I was looking for, but at least it’s something. The motor is disassembled, and being worked on now. Motor should be together this week, fired up and tuned next week hopefully.

Also over the weekend I installed an aluminum driveshaft for a friend of mine on his foxbody. I liked it so much, I’ve ordered one for myself as well, hopefully won’t have clearance issues with my e-brake bracket. Not really concerned much about the weight savings, but more about the driveshaft being lighter, and causing less vibration through driveline, which is a big deal when you have a torque arm.

#7071034 - 05/15/13 07:40 PM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: ReplicaR]
ScottStaypuff Online   troll_face
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ohio
Probably the best you're gonna get out of the old shop without wasting a bunch of money on a lawyer...

Sounds like its coming along!

Page 5 of 9 « First<34567>Last »

Moderator:  auxilary, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads