Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#6808018 - 01/03/13 05:34 PM Project52 2013
chef Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: The OC
They'll be opening it up pretty soon for the new year, wanted to put this out there for anyone wanting to improve their skills, open up to some new types/subjects of photography, or looking to make a serious go at making a living with it.

http://project52.org/audiovideo-critiques/
Order my photo prints (New files uploaded)

Visit Sponsors! Help CSi !
#6808051 - 01/03/13 05:57 PM Re: Project52 2013 [Re: chef]
busfare Offline
tickets plz
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Dark Side of the Moon
sounds awesome. is the pro version the same as last year in regard to shooting for your own portfolio?
#6808065 - 01/03/13 06:01 PM Re: Project52 2013 [Re: busfare]
LNXGUY Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
That sounds awesome, but I don't have the skillset for something like that unfortunately.

#6808180 - 01/03/13 07:04 PM Re: Project52 2013 [Re: busfare]
chef Offline
Post Master Supreme

I've got to get some clarification. It sounds like there's the free version with audio critiques, and the Pro version sounds pretty similar to what the free version was like this past year, and then I thought I saw mention of a Jumpstart version, which is his plan to actively seek out your market and get clients. The session I did with him over the summer was based on Jumpstart content and had the workbook and everything. Even if you're already selling your work, I'd saw the Jumpstart would be good for expanding your business. I'll talk to him and find out the skinny.

Bill, you could totally do it, it's a good challenge for opening up your creativity, getting an assignment and having to make it your own. There's a few people that were using exclusively natural light, and some using Home Depot clamp on lights with cfl's.

It's never approached by anyone as a competition of any sort either, it's all about everyone getting better at what they want to do.

#6808218 - 01/03/13 07:20 PM Re: Project52 2013 [Re: LNXGUY]
240sx805 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: CA
 Originally Posted By: LNXGUY
That sounds awesome, but I don't have the skillset for something like that unfortunately.
same, but Im willing to give the free one a shot. I like the idea of challenges to direct my shooting.

First one is a little hard for Southern California haha

How do you submit?

#6808275 - 01/03/13 07:44 PM Re: Project52 2013 [Re: 240sx805]
chef Offline
Post Master Supreme

The "Baby It's Cold Outside" assignment? That's the tail end of the 2012 program. I think it'll really get started in February. For that one though, I'm going to shoot my car in front of a white backdrop, straight on, wife in the drivers seat bundled up, cool down the tone a bit. Either drop the car into a composite or leave it with a white background. Thinking I'll set up the shower curtains with lights behind them. Low budget could be Home Depot work lights/halogens with a custom white balance. The shower curtains will be big light sources right up close though, hopefully keep speculars down. At least, not be tiny speculars showing where the lights are. The shower curtains are $9 Target pieces, plastic-y, semi translucent, great for diy modifiers.

Join the http://www.flickr.com/groups/lighting-essentials/ flickr group. Don announces the assignments on the forum there, and posts detailed assignment info on the project52.org site, but you put your submissions in the thread he makes on flickr.

He's a goofy guy, everyone is pretty light hearted over there and in it for a good time, and we've all made some pretty good friends. I've got some contacts up in Nor CA now that I can shoot with, some have studios, others are enthusiasts, a contact in the Baltimore area that wants to shoot adventure stuff, a couple in Spain, a guy in Singapore. I'll be going out for the weekender at his Phoenix studio in February. It's not very glitz and glamour like some of the high dollar wedding photographer personalities, he's just a dude who's made a living shooting fashion and then commercial work. Started out as a designer, owned an agency, opened his studio... It's not about impressing the strobist group, it's about doing what it takes to get the shot that will pay your bills. Even if that means using a shower curtain and some halogens \:D s

The critiques usually consist of discussing what he thinks works or didn't work about your submission, what he might do differently... Again, all from his 35+ years of experience making money off of similar assignments. The pro group will include more of the business side of things, how to find the clients you want, building your portfolio, building your web presence, etc.

Edited by chef (01/03/13 07:46 PM)

#6808315 - 01/03/13 08:06 PM Re: Project52 2013 [Re: chef]
Bigggggant Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Jax Florida
Wow this can force me to try different things to help me get more creative. Hell yeah ill try the free...
AIM= biggggant PSN= biggggant XBL= phoeverunclean

#6809232 - 01/04/13 09:38 AM Re: Project52 2013 [Re: Bigggggant]
LNXGUY Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
Fuck it, I need all the help I can get

#6809463 - 01/04/13 10:37 AM Re: Project52 2013 [Re: LNXGUY]
chef Offline
Post Master Supreme

He does encourage you to shoot each assignment with your own style, so for example this new assignment where the client wants to sell a bunch of heater repair kits for cars, you could shoot it as geared towards the outdoorsman. Either going fishing at 0 dark 30 or maybe the car is so warm and toasty now that you don't want to get out.

Another assignment this year was to shoot for a magazine ad, to a layout that he provided. The theme was "Let's have lunch like we used to". The product was a pharmaceutical, and that's about all we got. Mine was ok, looked like a snapshot, not that awesome. But I've learned enough to make it better now. I had my mom and her boyfriend eating a picnic lunch. There were a lot of the same theme, some done much better then mine. Bill could have shot a father and son fishing with a sack lunch between them. I'm gonna have to think I'm Bill for some of these, I like my ideas here....

Anyhow, it's all stuff that we can all shoot, some of it will push our boundaries and help us grow, and if we really can't come up with something, the group is good about helping work through ideas and discussing their shoots, or if you just can't make it, no big deal. There's no official signup, you just either shoot and submit, or not.

Other assignments were a relaxing still life, define air, smoke, cd cover for a joni mitchell song, mag cover for entrepreneur magazine

#6829671 - 01/13/13 10:28 PM Re: Project52 2013 [Re: chef]
chef Offline
Post Master Supreme

webinar tomorrow to discuss the project with new users, with enrollment opening up as well.
http://www.lighting-essentials.com/proje...ment-at-a-time/

#6911787 - 02/21/13 11:46 AM Re: Project52 2013 [Re: chef]
chef Offline
Post Master Supreme

soooo, anyone gonna give this a shot? the first assignment was to shoot a stranger, you saw my submissions from the street studio. The second is to write a vision statement and shoot an make a photo that goes along with that. I'll go into some detail about my submission for this in another post. Files are due tomorrow. Still working out my final selection. The new assignment this week was to shoot ingredients of a simple recipe. Picked up a background at the fabric store last night. Planning to shoot tomorrow night. Ingredients of a quesadilla, hehe. Wanted to shoot ingredients of beer, but the guy that brews started a batch the day before I asked him and doesn't have supplies left.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  jsmonet, x, 2000SiRacer, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads