Page 117 of 148 « First<115116117118119>Last »
Topic Options
#8255702 - 06/18/15 06:05 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Design]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Colorado
 Originally Posted By: Design
Sometimes it's more frustrating not knowing what happened then having the darn bug itself.

There's a lot of truth to that. I was actually crossing my fingers for the mono titer test to come back positive because then I'd have a name for it and know that it would (eventually) go away on its own. I was really bummed when it came back negative but it wasn't long after that I started to feel better and now I'm fine not knowing the answer as long as it's gone

And while I'm complaining - it also sucks when doing nothing is the best course of (in)action. Give me some exercises to do or antibiotics to take so I'm at least feeling proactive. Feeling like shit with the doctor saying "probably a virus, just get plenty of rest and it'll run its course" was mentally tough to deal with.

#8256065 - 06/18/15 11:18 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: 2000SiRacer]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
Fuck...I should really be counting my blessings!

#8256112 - 06/19/15 12:15 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Ampsman in Extremis Offline
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Loc: San Jose, Ca, USA
I blame Colorado, need more cali in your life bro. \:\)

Paki: 3:36

#8256284 - 06/19/15 08:12 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Colorado
 Originally Posted By: ampsman
I blame Colorado, need more cali in your life bro. \:\)

Believe it or not, but the local store does sell kale and sprouts. All the California I can handle

#8257835 - 06/20/15 11:17 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: 2000SiRacer]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Edmonton
On holidays, walking a lot, swimming a bit, but my groin is still garbage. I think I need a new doctor and fuck the lazy ass surgeon. I think he half assed my hernia fix.

#8261670 - 06/23/15 11:50 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Impulsive]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

I'm starting to get intimately familiar with the dipsea trail.

#8261709 - 06/23/15 12:09 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Cheesegoggles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Here
Did a wicked awesome 5kish run yesterday at a blistering pace of 10:44/mile.

(I haven't been running much of late, I was pushing a three year old in a stroller, it was 90 degrees, and I wasn't out to break any records, so I'll take it).

#8262187 - 06/23/15 02:46 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: ampsman
I'm starting to get intimately familiar with the dipsea trail.

That 70 year old dude passed you right after that was taken, didn't he? \:D

#8287268 - 07/13/15 10:52 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Cheesegoggles]
SIR_PAT Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Anyone deal with shin splints?

I've already taken 2 weeks off running this year because of it in one leg. I ran about 60/70km since then but it's back.

I've tried a few things I read on the net, like ace bandage and stretches (I can't seem to target the inside area though).

If it was just the pain I'd run through it, but I read that if you don't let it heal you could end up needing surgery.

The good thing about taking the 2 weeks off was I came back and beat my personal records by minutes. But at the same time I'm afraid if I take too much time off I'll start losing everything I've gained.

#8288063 - 07/13/15 04:33 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: SIR_PAT]
SJP0tato Offline

Loc: Gilbert, Az
 Originally Posted By: SIR_PAT
Anyone deal with shin splints?

What kind of symptoms are you having? Shin splints is usually a "catch all" kind of diagnosis, which can encompass a lot of injuries.

Originally Posted By: SIR_PAT
The good thing about taking the 2 weeks off was I came back and beat my personal records by minutes. But at the same time I'm afraid if I take too much time off I'll start losing everything I've gained.

It sounds like you're going 110% the moment you get back from rest, which if you're recovering from injury is the last thing you want to do. It's better to do a couple super easy shake-out runs first, assess your condition, then you can work back up to speed work & breaking records. \:\)

#8288097 - 07/13/15 04:58 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: SJP0tato]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Nor Cal, Hella hurr durr
yea I thought shin splint remediation = no fucking running at all? [4+ weeks?]

also: update/backstory

I think I'm over my knee thing. 18.x miles last week. longest was 10, which is my longest since ~7 weeks ago when I did an 18 and then some stairs and fucked myself up pretty good. Of course I ran a 10k in a tri 2 weeks ago but I was pretty beat so I dont think it did anything.

Hoping to maintain 20+ for a little mini-block here until the swim focus-ish of the next week-and-a-half are over [lol 3x a week swim = focus]

#8288534 - 07/13/15 09:16 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: stickaz_old]
SIR_PAT Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Ontario, Canada
 Originally Posted By: SJP0tato
What kind of symptoms are you having? Shin splints is usually a "catch all" kind of diagnosis, which can encompass a lot of injuries.

Pain on the inside of my right leg, right along the bone.

Originally Posted By: SJP0tato
It sounds like you're going 110% the moment you get back from rest, which if you're recovering from injury is the last thing you want to do. It's better to do a couple super easy shake-out runs first, assess your condition, then you can work back up to speed work & breaking records. \:\)

I did, I swear. I started out by casually running a couple of 3.5km (2.2miles) then a couple of 5km (3.1miles) then a couple of 10km. I think it started after I played 3hrs of tennis. Could also be the road, it's angled, I might be favoring that leg.

Originally Posted By: :(
yea I thought shin splint remediation = no fucking running at all? [4+ weeks?]

I read 3-6... either way I went back too soon.

Time to dust off my mountain bike.

#8291803 - 07/15/15 08:50 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: SIR_PAT]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

new low experienced in my jogging yesterday: had planned a 5 miler or so, little loop

not 100' from my door I had to stop. My ankle felt like it cracked/was broken, and just un-useable. Contemplated just nope_ing it and walking back home.

Stretched my ankle/calf a bit, and used very little range of motion on that ankle for like a mile before it loosened up. By mile 2 it was like nothing had happened.

Then on mile 3 I was in the direct sun and getting a little hot and just said fuckit and walked like half a mile. Then finished a final two with a little bridge climb to get back home.

Feels like I'm going backwards. #nailed_it

#8292361 - 07/16/15 11:37 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: stickaz_old]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Shitty days are part of running.
That's why you have to enjoy the shit out of it when you feel good, because it doesn't happen all the time.
90% of my runs I want to stop within the first mile because something is sore or I just feel like shit.

#8292383 - 07/16/15 11:46 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

My runs lately have been struggles. Not sure why as I haven't take time off. It's been pretty hot/humid, which doesn't help, but I'm already fighting myself after a minute. 5am 12k runs used to suck after about half way, now they suck after about 2 minutes.

I don't always have good runs, but lately, it seems I'm having almost no good runs. My biking and stairs routine seems fine though and it's almost always high 80's or low 90's when I do that.

I think I should mix in some sprints and more walking just for the hell of it.

#8292395 - 07/16/15 11:50 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Impulsive]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

I think I root caused my problem as over stretching my ankles/feet as I'm [desperately] trying to improve my flexibility there for swimming /my kick as I've always been a 'swinger', hoping to add some hip drive to my swimming but apparently people are suggesting I really have to choose--these goals won't really work together. You cant work on your running AND work on your swim kick. Fuck it I'll keep trying to do both unless this gets worse.

Eg I'll accept some kick improvement for some run sacrifice

#8297098 - 07/20/15 01:31 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: stickaz_old]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

had the struggliest of struggles on a 10.1 mile long run on the creek trail. 10:30/pace and ~90*F temps

this weekend apparently has been my heatstroke training week [my bonk ride up mt. hamilton I noticed a couple miles from the top I was no longer sweating so I alt+F4'd the thing and headed back]

anyways 3 water bottles later I made it back. I have no idea at this point if I'm just sliding backwards and getting slower--in these temps I cant seem to do anything

#8297227 - 07/20/15 02:49 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: stickaz_old]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Been mostly above 90 around here lately and it's brutal at those temps.
ESPECIALLY long shit.

I actually think 10 miles at that pace in that heat is pretty agressive.

CN: slow the fuck down.

#8297364 - 07/20/15 04:18 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: ]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

You cant make any assumptions about performance when running in those temps. Just be happy about getting in some miles and some heat acclimation and not dying.

#8297385 - 07/20/15 04:41 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

We've had a few days above 90. It's tough to run when your head feels like it's going to explode and I'm drenched in sweat.

What I find helps is taking my shirt off and wearing it on my head about halfway through. I'm sure I look like an idiot, but it's much more comfortable.

#8297390 - 07/20/15 04:46 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Impulsive]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

the entire 2nd half was shirtless. hello ladies \:\|

#8297466 - 07/20/15 06:01 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: stickaz_old]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Loc: Gehenna
I dunno I see a 10 mile run at 90 degrees at a 10:30 pace with a HR of 127. That's awesome. I've been doing some HR training lately and I might start close to a 9 min pace for the 145-150 HR range and go down to 10's.

Keep it up and when it drops back to 80 you'll think its easy and then 70s and you'll love it. My 14 miler yesterday I had no energy for, but then a drizzle during it took it from 90+ to more like 80 and I put on an ice scarf and suddenly the run was acceptable lol.

I was in a real bad running place about 3 weeks ago because of the FL heat. It was amazingly brutal at the end of June and simply doing 4 miles after work took a ton of effort, a lot of water and just didn't seem worth it. But somehow the past 2 weeks or so it isn't as hot and hitting the rainy season seems to be helping keep the temp at 88 instead of 93, lol. Just have to get out at the right time so it isn't super hot and/or super humid. I have yet to make myself get up a 5am to run though.

#8297901 - 07/21/15 09:23 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Lividentity]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Ran on Saturday after being sore as hell from an absolute torture rack of a massage. Felt good, even in the heat. Ran yesterday, started off not feeling that well, but putting up a solid pace (low 8min/mile) for me, but then I just crashed. After about 2 miles, I had to walk almost every half mile for about 20 seconds.

My biking game seems pretty solid. Getting close to 100 miles/week. I'm not flying, but it's steady.

I do think I'm about maxed out in terms or strength/weight/cardio/injury right now.

#8299034 - 07/21/15 08:15 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Impulsive]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Fuck this humidity here right now. And fuck the cold/flu/scarlet fever I caught from a kid at scout camp last week. Going for a 3 miler with my wife in a few because I always feel better during a run when Im sick....then it's time to OD on NyQuil and go to bed.

Planning on signing up for both the October Javalina Jundred and next years Angeles Crest 100 miler. My scouts and I are going to be working the finish line aid station of the latter next weekend, and then registration opens the following day.

#8299043 - 07/21/15 08:20 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Loc: Gehenna
AC100 looks like a beast man! I'd say elevation profile it should be tougher than Leadville, but haven't heard one way or the other.

I should be signing up for Javelina soon. It is super hot and humid here making runs suck for a long time, and just getting back into long runs. 14 last Sunday, 16 next Sunday, 18 after that. Then they just get worse, yay! :P

Also, now doing heart rate training and trying out fat adaptation too. So we'll see how all this goes.

#8299081 - 07/21/15 09:01 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Lividentity]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

I'm having second thoughts about my first marathon in ~11 weeks hehe. nah fuck it I'm doing it anyways. I definitely will be just trying to survive tho. But this heat has me questioning my ability/sanity/everything

#8299182 - 07/21/15 11:19 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: stickaz_old]
bt0 Offline
Post Master Sr

Hour before sunrise is coolest hour of the day.
#8299434 - 07/22/15 08:46 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: bt0]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

I run frequently in the morning. It's tough getting up, but it's more enjoyable that in the heat. But that morning humidity = soaked.

#8300579 - 07/22/15 06:33 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Lividentity]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Yeah, it's a tough one for sure. It's heavy on the climbs late in the race, usually very warm and lots of exposure. The good thing is that it's not at crazy elevation tops out at 9k feet, is a net downhill, and I can train on the course. \:\) Oh, and 33 hour cutoff is helpful too....but I'll be gunning for sub 24. \:D

I'm pretty excited for Javalina though.

Originally Posted By: Lividentity
AC100 looks like a beast man! I'd say elevation profile it should be tougher than Leadville, but haven't heard one way or the other.

I should be signing up for Javelina soon. It is super hot and humid here making runs suck for a long time, and just getting back into long runs. 14 last Sunday, 16 next Sunday, 18 after that. Then they just get worse, yay! :P

Also, now doing heart rate training and trying out fat adaptation too. So we'll see how all this goes.

#8303592 - 07/24/15 05:03 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

did this yesterday as the temps were a bit lower [~70*F] felt pretty good, didnt feel like I was working too hard. 5K was like 22:5x. Fought through a wicked cramp there on lap 9-10 [stomach/too much water heh]

#8305922 - 07/27/15 12:29 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: stickaz_old]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: The OC
Good job man. I need to pay attention to this thread more often.

Seriously considering Vineman next year with some friends who do it annually. Heard it sells out in minutes.
89 Camaro - Sold
CSI. What's your diversion?

#8305990 - 07/27/15 12:52 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Design]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

yea, I'll probably enter the lottery, Sonoma is like a ~2 hr drive from my lavender section of the south bay \:D

I hear the bike is sweeet and the swim in the russian river is awesome. just a great setting. But the level of competition in the field is nuts and it may be challenging to stay mid-pack on the swim and not get completely run over \:D

#8306072 - 07/27/15 01:28 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: stickaz_old]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: The OC
The tri's for me are fun. I'd probably go in last and just enjoy the experience. I have one coming up this weekend and plan to do the same. Even bringing a friend's mountain bike for the course lol.
89 Camaro - Sold
CSI. What's your diversion?

#8306099 - 07/27/15 01:38 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Design]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

I love the mtbikers \:D

not that I'm anything other than mid-pack or anything but I lean into it a little extra passing mtbikes

also have fun ofc hehe \:D

[also a 70.3 will probably proper murder me, I'd be lucky to break 6 hrs I'd guess]

#8307781 - 07/28/15 01:37 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: stickaz_old]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

As part of my training plan over the next 3 months to get ready for Javalina, Ivd decided to buckle down and get down to an ideal race weight. For me, I believe that's slightly lighter than my lowest (and fastest) Ironman race weight of 153. I'd really like to see 14x on the scale going into my taper. Weighed in at 168 on Sunday. Fuck.gif Reloaded myfitnesspal on the phone and plan to use it religiously. It's got me at 1300 calories a day, which seems to be pretty doable....for me it mostly involves avoiding late night snacking and making sure I take in some fuel before my runs (which are all at night while kids are out of school) so I don't go crazy pigging out afterwards.
I'm swearing off beer and any kind of candy till after the race as well. :iamhomoforusingthis:

Page 117 of 148 « First<115116117118119>Last »

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads