Page 130 of 148 « First<128129130131132>Last »
Topic Options
#8687022 - 06/09/16 02:15 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
schtickaz.ai Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: State, Country, etc.
Wewt, nice job Ryan! I noticed that SD half course is 260' net downhill, it's kinda PR friendly methinks?

#8687025 - 06/09/16 02:46 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: schtickaz.ai]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: The OC
Hell no Stickaz.

Some of the hills require serious effort IMHO. But the route is great and the crowd supportive.

Ryan - No worries! It was a crazy morning no doubt. (I was wearing black and red.) That's cool you ran into Meb. Probably missed him as he blew past me by Mile 2. \:D

Next time...
89 Camaro - Sold
CSI. What's your diversion?

#8687336 - 06/09/16 11:20 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Design]
SJP0tato Offline

Loc: Gilbert, Az
Thanks guys, it really was a lot of fun.

Ironmom: I think the course layout was a bit different this year, the full finished at Ash/Columbia in downtown (at least I think it's downtown).

Design is spot on about the course. There were quite a few rolling hills that weren't all that bad (considering I have almost 0 hill experience training in the Phoenix area). For every slowdown on the uphills, I'd more or less make it up on the downhills.

It really felt like I was all over the place pace-wise during the race, but looking at my official splits:
5km: 22:24, --7:13 pace
10km: 44:48, --7:13 pace
10mi: 1:11:57 --7:12 pace
I guess I had things pretty well averaged out.

A couple of the downhills were the kind where it starts out really helping, but about 1/4 of the way down you realize it's too much and have to start braking so you don't trip over your own feet (at least I did).
Maybe if you were capable of a sub 5:00 pace at miles 9.5 and 11 you could take full advantage, but I couldn't do it.

#8687384 - 06/09/16 11:53 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: SJP0tato]
schtickaz.ai Offline
Post Master Supreme

I'm not saying you didn't have a great race or anything, but the course is a net downhill and for people like shalane and cragg that set new PRs there (1:07/1:09 respectively) they aren't being counted due to the net downhill-ness. I know I'm slow and sad but the climb in the beginning out of the park is 100' lol, I hate hills more than anyone trust me but come on dude haha

Like for comparison here's the one I did 2 months ago, GAP adjusted probably slowed me by 3 mins and that might be pessimistic, probably less...And yes I whined for days about the hills and were terrified of them (still am tbh) but come on, they're manageable if you hit them with a plan (slow!)

Here the super flat one I do which is arguably a slower course than SD since it's not a net downhill \:o

I believe that's the flattest course in the RnR series heh

#8687402 - 06/09/16 12:08 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: schtickaz.ai]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Yeah there was that one area in particular that had a fairly steep downhill. Had to ram the brake on the running chair for good measure (in addition to my own lol).

Wasn't paying attention to the markers but I think it was around mile 9 (?).
89 Camaro - Sold

#8687408 - 06/09/16 12:16 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Design]
schtickaz.ai Offline
Post Master Supreme

^stealing quad dip sea thunder

#8687420 - 06/09/16 12:25 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: schtickaz.ai]
SJP0tato Offline

I'm not saying the hills were monstrous or anything, just that there's some uphills along with the down that make it not a perfect PR course (still not bad for it).

When I think of a PR course, I picture something like the Phoenix Marathon course profile:

#8687488 - 06/09/16 01:02 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: SJP0tato]
schtickaz.ai Offline
Post Master Supreme

yea if I were to ever launch a BQ effort I'm looking at this one...

not just the net drop, also the weather is usually ~45*F and a tailwind lol

I would probably be too embarassed to actually end up with a BQ at that one

revel canyon/near LA

#8687542 - 06/09/16 01:40 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: schtickaz.ai]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Stickaz
I'm not saying you didn't have a great race or anything, but the course is a net downhill and for people like shalane and cragg that set new PRs there (1:07/1:09 respectively) they aren't being counted due to the net downhill-ness. I know I'm slow and sad but the climb in the beginning out of the park is 100' lol, I hate hills more than anyone trust me but come on dude haha

Like for comparison here's the one I did 2 months ago, GAP adjusted probably slowed me by 3 mins and that might be pessimistic, probably less...And yes I whined for days about the hills and were terrified of them (still am tbh) but come on, they're manageable if you hit them with a plan (slow!)

Here the super flat one I do which is arguably a slower course than SD since it's not a net downhill \:o

I believe that's the flattest course in the RnR series heh

lol

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/56...3/?format=1500w

#8687567 - 06/09/16 01:54 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: schtickaz.ai]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
My wife ran CIM a few years ago and says its way harder than the profile suggests....and while the weather is cool, it's more often than not total shit weather. When she did it the water stations were like hockey rinks because the spilled water all froze. Two years ago (I think) they had 50mph horizontal rain.

And you better zip your lip about Canyon City. I've got a $100 that says you'd be whimpering on the two big hills, and downright sobbing when you're quads blew out before mile 20. The last 3 miles are flat and I passed so much carnage in that stretch I probably moved up 30 spots.

Extended downhill running requires a ton of specific training and more thought and respect than a flat course.

yea if I were to ever launch a BQ effort I'm looking at this one...

not just the net drop, also the weather is usually ~45*F and a tailwind lol

I would probably be too embarassed to actually end up with a BQ at that one

revel canyon/near LA

#8687598 - 06/09/16 02:14 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
schtickaz.ai Offline
Post Master Supreme

^having successfully triggered a past canyon participant, I rest my case!

**also having never run past ~18.0 miles, I will further rest my case

#8687599 - 06/09/16 02:16 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Ironmom laying the smackdown.
89 Camaro - Sold

#8687604 - 06/09/16 02:17 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Design]
schtickaz.ai Offline
Post Master Supreme

well if CIM is a hard course, what about the LA marathon or some other 80*F shitshow that isn't net-downhill and actually has hills on it?

I guess we start the scale at 'hard/sucks' with the net downhill/cool courses and go to 'really hard/ really sucks' for ones like the LA marathon or Big Sur?

To put it another way, I don't think there is an easier course than CIM in california objectively given the elevation profile and expected weather

I've spent a fair amount of time on this before concluding that if I were to ever mount a BQ attempt, my best shot is at CIM [the revel canyon thing might be an option but I would feel bad about that looking at the GAP adjustment probably adding :20s/mi to my time in strava!]

#8687701 - 06/09/16 02:59 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: schtickaz.ai]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Pfft, my first BQ was on a course with 700ft of climbing, so you can suck it Trebek! \:D

All I'm saying about CIM is that it's been reported to me that it's harder than it looks. Lots of rolling terrain in the second half that wears you down, then a long flat section through midtown that is mentally draining.

I have zero interest in ever running LA. Doesn't have that premier big city marathon feel to make up for the fact that you're running through LA.

I'm signing up for the Boston to Big Sur challenge when it opens in July. Boston on Monday, Big Sur 5 days later.

#8687713 - 06/09/16 03:03 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Oh, and the Santa Rosa marathon deserves a look. Nice and flat, small crowds, cool temps, and soft surface. I did it a few years ago as my first standalone, and it was awesome till I blew up at mile 20.

#8687719 - 06/09/16 03:05 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
schtickaz.ai Offline
Post Master Supreme

yea I hear good things about Santa Rosa /also

but if theres a marathon I'd be less interested in running than the notorious LA marathon I cant imagine where it would be. Saudi Arabia?

#8687750 - 06/09/16 03:25 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: schtickaz.ai]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

LA can be a brutal b*tch in March. Seems it's either excessive rain or heat every year.

There are a couple of nasty hills on the course. One at mile 4 at Disney Concert Hall. And the heartbreaker at mile 21 as you go under Wilshire and up to the Vet Center. What makes the course worth it, is the crowd support and the gentle downhill from Mile 23-26.
89 Camaro - Sold

#8687986 - 06/09/16 07:03 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
SJP0tato Offline

Originally Posted By: Mrs. Ironmom
Oh, and the Santa Rosa marathon deserves a look. Nice and flat, small crowds, cool temps, and soft surface. I did it a few years ago as my first standalone, and it was awesome till I blew up at mile 20.

That one looks pretty awesome. Not sure if I can get into marathon shape in 12 weeks or not though...

I've been trying to figure out which race to do in the fall/winter, here in Phoenix the big ones are Rock & Roll which is a small net uphill, or Phoenix Marathon which is a huge downhill until mile 20.

The Phoenix seems more viable to BQ, but I'll have to really work on downhill training to not blow up at 22-23 again.

#8687992 - 06/09/16 07:13 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: SJP0tato]
schtickaz.ai Offline
Post Master Supreme

I dunno man it looked to me like you missed it by >< much when I was looking at the strava output of that last one. You had an amazing race \:D

I figure a BQ for you is just inevitable.. although your mileage has totally dropped from those days... //creepy

#8688177 - 06/09/16 09:44 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: schtickaz.ai]
SJP0tato Offline

I dunno man it looked to me like you missed it by >< much when I was looking at the strava output of that last one. You had an amazing race \:D

I figure a BQ for you is just inevitable.. although your mileage has totally dropped from those days... //creepy

It was pretty close, ~7 mins off.
Mileage drop is mostly the new training plan. I think the marathon version will bump things back up a bit more. Decisions...

#8692634 - 06/13/16 05:01 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: SJP0tato]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Had a great experience at the Shadow of the Giants 50k up near Yosemite on Saturday.

Loaded up the tent trailer and the wife/kids on Friday afternoon and pulled into our RV park campsite in Oakhurst (10 miles from the race location) at about 10pm. All set up and in bed by 11:30, then up at 5:30. Ate a donut, drank a Diet Coke, taped the nipples, and my wife drive me to the start. Beautiful little private camp in a meadow with a nice warm indoor waiting area and plenty of non-portable bathrooms. \:\)

RD said go a few minutes after 7. First 3 miles are all uphill on a jeep road, but not so steep that you couldn't jog it. Felt good and made quick work of the long descent and climb back out on the out and back section. Found myself pretty much alone except for passing the 20k runners till we crossed a river then jumped onto some beautiful singletrack that had us climb up over some ridges before dropping down into Nelder Grove which has some amazing giant sequoias. I did have to make an emergency poop stop when my stomach started cramping, which cost me a few minutes and the discomfort of wiping with handfuls of pine needles.

Nutrition was similar to Way Too Cool back in March...one bottle that I filled with G2 at the start, then it was just water, salt chews, and Coke the rest of the race. I did take a couple ibu's late in the race for some minor back pain I was having, but that was it. Felt fantastic all morning long.

From mile 21-25 it's a very gentle climb on a logging road, then it's a few downhill miles on the same road before the final 1/2 mile on some amazing sigletrack to the finish. The guys at the mile 25 AS told me I was top 15 and that the next guy was about 5 minutes ahead. I figured that was too far to worry about catching, so I just focused on moving efficiently. I had a goal of 4:30, and I was close, but knew I would have to hustle. In the last mile of road section I was catching a glimpse of a guy a little ways ahead. As soon as I jumped onto the last bit of trail, he was leaning up against a tree trying to fight off some cramps. I yelled "hang in there bro" did a sweet jump off a log in front of him, and sprinted to the finish. \:D
Crossed in 4:32 (damn poop stop!) and 15th OA out of 123 finishers. Lots of fast old guys and I was 5th or 6th in my AG.
What I'm really happy about is how I felt in the last miles and after the race. We went back to camp, I washed off in the river, then we went on a family hike. No soreness, no pain. I ran 4 miles on Sunday and 11 today. Gives me some confidence in my training for AC. Silver Rush 50 mile is coming up in 3.5 weeks, which will be another good fitness test.

Finish line shot courtesy Mrs. Ironmom.

#8692642 - 06/13/16 05:08 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

As I said in the FB thread that's a great time man. Sounds like your body is fully hardened to the mileage (no homo).

I'm also a huge fan in getting the family involved in our races. Sounded like a great trip!
89 Camaro - Sold

#8692674 - 06/13/16 05:47 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Design]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Thanks Kent. It is nice to have the whole family out there, but it's pretty rare since I don't feel like forcing them to get up early then sit around all day waiting. My daughters comment as soon as I crossed the line: "can we go now?"

#8707641 - 06/27/16 11:23 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Looks like everyone in this forum is either dead or getting fat. \:D

Update for me: had an 83 mile week with 18k feet of vert. Since school is out, 10k feet of that was done on the treadmill maxed out at 15%.

This weekend though I got up to the mountains and did back to back long runs on the Angeles Crest 100 course. Saturday it was 16 near the beginning of the race (in the morning), then last night I did 16 more but on the tail end. It was 91 degrees at 5pm when I started and still in the mid 80's at 8:30 when I finished.

Looking forward to the Silver Rush 50 miler in Leadville in 2 weeks...but still scared shitless about AC which is now less than 6 weeks away.

#8711178 - 06/30/16 11:28 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Still here. Still running with the club. Averaging about 20 mile weeks.

Your photos on FB suggest some challenges along the course. Hoping for the best.
89 Camaro - Sold

#8711202 - 06/30/16 11:49 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Design]
Impulsive Online   nohc
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Edmonton
Nothing changed for me. Biking and running a lot.

My left elbow somehow fucked itself and seems to get worse, so the pushing exercises are suffering a bit. I'm not sure what to do because even when I take it easy, it doesn't improve.

#8711252 - 06/30/16 12:31 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Impulsive]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

Haven't done shit since April due to renovations on the house, that's my primary exercise at the moment. No bike, run, or weights \:\|

Weight is same, will try to get out on the bike this weekend though.

#8716005 - 07/06/16 11:30 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Risky Business]
schtickaz.ai Offline
Post Master Supreme

update:
training falling off the wagon a bit overall since my last tri of the year last month where I scored my first DNF. Had a week of vacation that was supposed to include a ~8k vert hike but thunderstorms got in the way.

first marathon in 3 weeks and I havent gone over 13/14 miles in a long run since like Feb? lol. I dont even want to look...

I'm oddly confident I'll be ok tho/no walking. The 18'ers I've done I've usually felt fairly strong near the end. Of course, the real shit show is past 20 they say and I'm a complete newb. Well I'm planning on doing 1 or 2 tops in the 16-18 mile range and then having a nice 2 week taper.

Got my wave # and start time [wave 5 of 8 lol slow], so I guess it's comforting to know I'm starting in the back half. Shouldnt have the feel of being constantly passed I guess :p

Maybe I'll just keep the 4:00 pace group in sight, but I dunno. Kinda hoping to just survive. Roughly I'm targetting 1:58 for the first 1/2 [has 2/3 the elevation] and 1:55 for the back half, to come in around 3:53. Plan B is to sneak under 4:00, plan C is just to not walk but finish on a yog after some kind of shit-show that must have happened around 19+

#8721134 - 07/10/16 09:32 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: schtickaz.ai]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

The Leadville Silver Rush 50 miler kicked my ass today! Entire race above 10k feet, 4 climbs up to 12k feet, hot and dusty mining roads. I had a few low moments (mostly on the big climbs) but I managed to work through them and had a pretty strong last 10 miles. Kinda hard to imagine doing another 50 at AC next month, but this race indicates that my fitness is where it needs to be. I'm hoping that the fact that it only maxes out briefly at 9500 feet will be a bonus.

10:46
116/395 Overall
25/89 in my AG.

#8721531 - 07/11/16 11:33 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Looks like the phone was ready to die before you. Nice job man!

Stickaz - Just finish on two feet. Enjoy the suffering and go for time next go-around.
89 Camaro - Sold

#8721674 - 07/11/16 12:57 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Design]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

I can't imagine running with my phone that whole way...

Hey Chris, what's your gear these days?

just starting at 0 again on running base and maintaining commuting base on bike. Got a trail series for fall, and might snag another century next month

#8722302 - 07/12/16 12:41 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: ]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Lol, I didn't carry my phone, I use my Garmin 920xt and upload to my phone and Strava app via Bluetooth.

As for the rest, in this race I wore my Altra Olympus 1.5's, Injinji socks, Patagonia Strider Pro shorts, Ultimate Direction AK vest with two Nathan contour bottles in the front, Patagonia trucker mesh hat, and a thin cotton t-shirt. That part was a test for AC. I've heard that a cotton shirt is great for hot races because you can get it wet and it will hold moisture and keep your skin cool for far longer than synthetics.

#8722530 - 07/12/16 11:14 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

100% cotton or one of those poly/cotton blend shirts?

I've found pure cotton gets heavy as shit, even the lighter weaves. I recently picked up a sugoi shirt, and I'm not sure how it happens, but it always feels wet/cool. Even just picking it up...

#8723206 - 07/12/16 11:40 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: ]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: dirtyS13drifta
100% cotton or one of those poly/cotton blend shirts?

I've found pure cotton gets heavy as shit, even the lighter weaves. I recently picked up a sugoi shirt, and I'm not sure how it happens, but it always feels wet/cool. Even just picking it up...

100% cotton. It's a nice form fitting and fairly short shirt so it doesn't seem to get too heavy. Since it will likely be in the mid 90's for a 40-60 mile stretch of the race, I'm willing to deal with a little extra weight if it helps even a little with dealing with that heat.

#8723525 - 07/13/16 11:32 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Impulsive Online   nohc
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Edmonton
Shit, I end up a soaking mess no matter what I wear and that's shorter durations. If I wear something like cotton, once it gets wet and "bounces", it will chafe the nips.

My shirts are soaked by mile 3. I'm wearing shorts and a sleeveless workout shirt and I see guys running by me wearing a full hoodie with an undershirt and long pants and wonder how the fuck they can handle it.

Page 130 of 148 « First<128129130131132>Last »

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads