Page 54 of 148 « First<5253545556>Last »
Topic Options
#6842579 - 01/18/13 04:20 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Ampsman in Extremis Offline
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Loc: San Jose, Ca, USA
trail shoes are getting broken in nicely.

Paki: 3:36

#6842980 - 01/18/13 08:32 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
Awesome. Once this damn marathon is outta the way I have a month to get mine nice and dirty on the trails before Way Too Cool.

#6843302 - 01/19/13 03:35 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Rumbelstiltskin Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: So Cal
 Originally Posted By: Ironmom
Way Too Cool
Hate to bring this up but Julie Fingar, Race Director of Way Too Cool said this:

"As I re-entered the world of running, I did so with caution and care. I religiously followed the ten percent rule and incorporated lots of cross training. I followed the Run Less, Run Faster plan, which had me running only three days per week (speed, tempo and long). Sure I wanted to stay healthy, but more than anything I wanted to keep running. It occurred to me that I wanted to continue to run for a very long time…I had visions of myself being one of five in my age group when I was 80 years old. Depends and all. You can’t get there if you’re beating up your body.
And guess what? Only eight months after my stress fracture, I qualified for Boston!!"

Sounds like CFE?

I'm not completely serious or trying to justify anything but ever since people started showing me non CFE training guides I find something similar.

#6843380 - 01/19/13 08:22 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Rumbelstiltskin]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Quote:
When training for an ultramarathon, Ms. Fingar runs about 70 miles a week, far fewer than the 100 miles that many other ultramarathoners log weekly.

She is still putting down lots of miles...just less than many other ultra runners, its all relative.

#6843473 - 01/19/13 10:13 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Rumbelstiltskin]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Rumble
Way Too Cool
Hate to bring this up but Julie Fingar, Race Director of Way Too Cool said this:

"As I re-entered the world of running, I did so with caution and care. I religiously followed the ten percent rule and incorporated lots of cross training. I followed the Run Less, Run Faster plan, which had me running only three days per week (speed, tempo and long). Sure I wanted to stay healthy, but more than anything I wanted to keep running. It occurred to me that I wanted to continue to run for a very long time…I had visions of myself being one of five in my age group when I was 80 years old. Depends and all. You can’t get there if you’re beating up your body.
And guess what? Only eight months after my stress fracture, I qualified for Boston!!"

Sounds like CFE?

I'm not completely serious or trying to justify anything but ever since people started showing me non CFE training guides I find something similar.

Maybe it does, but when we asked about long runs you said something like "volume isn't our priority". Yet you highlighted the word long. So does CFE do long runs or not?

To me what this person describes sounds like a normal running program to me. Many programs actually follow the 3 quality runs a week mantra. I've never ran more than 3x a week(though I may when I got for an ultra this year).

And how does your CFE folow the 10% rule again? Didn't you struggle to run 3 miles in January and you're "running" 20 in February and doing your full within 12 weeks of you starting training.

keep thinking you won't be miserable after your full

#6843927 - 01/19/13 04:22 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: ]
Rumbelstiltskin Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: dirtyS13drifta
Way Too Cool

Sounds like CFE?

Maybe it does, but when we asked about long runs you said something like "volume isn't our priority". Yet you highlighted the word long. So does CFE do long runs or not?

To me what this person describes sounds like a normal running program to me. Many programs actually follow the 3 quality runs a week mantra. I've never ran more than 3x a week(though I may when I got for an ultra this year).

And how does your CFE folow the 10% rule again? Didn't you struggle to run 3 miles in January and you're "running" 20 in February and doing your full within 12 weeks of you starting training.

keep thinking you won't be miserable after your full
I said CFE concentrates on Technique, Intensity, and then volume. In that order. My CFE group has been doing 10 miles runs already on the weekends. They will add more miles, some actually keep going past 10 miles since a lot of them are seasoned marathoners and triathletes. I started with them but a hurt ankle took me out of running. Also my class is the same time CFE meets for drills.

Point is CFE isn't that different that what this chick is doing.

#6843997 - 01/19/13 05:08 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Rumbelstiltskin]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

I dont think that article is saying anything new. It's what lots of runners do after an injury. Build slowly, work on core strength, etc. She's cross training to supplement her running. She might only be doing 3 days a week, but if that's still while she's hitting 70 mpw, that's a ton of miles each of those 3 days. CFE doesn't seem to look at the stuff other than running as cross training, more like the running takes a back seat to the CF stuff.

Not to mention, she has a huge endurance base from years of big mileage.

In the end, people can do what they want to get the results they desire...no skin off my back. I just hate to see somebody hurt themselves due to being undertrained.

#6844050 - 01/19/13 05:43 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Rumbelstiltskin Offline
Post Master Sr

I know your intentions are good, and if I should listen to someones advice on running here it would be yours. So how about this, if I fail pretty bad, I'll use any method of training you ask me to do after March.
#6844110 - 01/19/13 06:29 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Rumbelstiltskin]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Colorado
What're you two disagreeing over?

And on a running/cardio related note: I just got home from three weeks in Asia with only one treadmill run in that time. That's three weeks of bad food, beer and Chinese smog. And I didn't go into that time with a lot of fitness due to a knee injury more or less sidelining me for two months. Anyway, now I have seven weeks of Wisconsin winter in which to get ready for my first race of the season (50 miles). This'll be interesting...

#6844353 - 01/19/13 09:51 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Rumbelstiltskin]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

I know your intentions are good, and if I should listen to someones advice on running here it would be yours. So how about this, if I fail pretty bad, I'll use any method of training you ask me to do after March.

It's all good man...just lighthearted discussion. \:D

Tomorrow I have my last long run of this marathon plan: 12 miles. Then it's 2 weeks of easy runs and rest days till the 3rd.

#6854670 - 01/24/13 03:49 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Been getting in hill repeats once a week lately, nice little workout.

#6854786 - 01/24/13 04:42 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

My quads are burning just looking at that! Nice workout.

#6860116 - 01/27/13 07:41 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Welp...last run of any significance tonight. 10 miles at a 6:59 pace. Just have a couple of 2 and 3 milers this week, then the race on sunday. Feeling pretty good!

#6860473 - 01/27/13 11:02 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Nice! Ill be thinking about you...and yes in a creepy way.

#6861161 - 01/28/13 11:50 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Off to a good start for january.

YEAR-TO-DATE
Distance 197.8mi
Time 26hr 6m
Elev Gain 16,014ft
Runs 24

Going to try and do a 50k in march and april and then my 50 miler in may.
I did 20 yesterday with 3800 ft elevation and felt good, but it was still hard to fathom doing that again and then an extra 10 after that to make it to 50.
I guess thats what makes it a mental game after a certain point.

#6861182 - 01/28/13 11:57 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
MonkeyStillAlive Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Sunny FL
 Originally Posted By: Mrs. Ironmom
Welp...last run of any significance tonight. 10 miles at a 6:59 pace. Just have a couple of 2 and 3 milers this week, then the race on sunday. Feeling pretty good!

Crazy fast! Good luck on your BQ.

BTW, What does it take to qualify?

Edited by Monkeydias (01/28/13 11:57 AM)

#6861449 - 01/28/13 01:19 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: MonkeyStillAlive]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

For me, I have to come in under 3:10. Any amount under that helps though, since it's a rolling registration these days where the faster you qualify, the earlier you get to register. This year though it wasnt a big deal since they had lowered the qualifying times....if you qualified you got in. Last year (before they lowered the times by 5 minutes) it sold out fast and you had to have been a good 3 minutes under qualifying time just to get in.

#6861459 - 01/28/13 01:21 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: ampsman
Off to a good start for january.

YEAR-TO-DATE
Distance 197.8mi
Time 26hr 6m
Elev Gain 16,014ft
Runs 24

Going to try and do a 50k in march and april and then my 50 miler in may.
I did 20 yesterday with 3800 ft elevation and felt good, but it was still hard to fathom doing that again and then an extra 10 after that to make it to 50.
I guess thats what makes it a mental game after a certain point.

Nice numbers! I know what you mean about 50 miles seeming impossible. The good thing about me stressing over this marathon is that its making me really look forward to W2C. Even though its 5 miles longer, I know it will be a much more laid back experience.

#6863701 - 01/29/13 02:13 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Ran a new PR 18:58 5k training run last night. So much for taking it easy.

#6863823 - 01/29/13 03:08 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
slackereg6 Offline

Loc: Hot Texas
Finally running again and tried out the kinvaras. Love the shoes so far on shorter runs. I am still slow but managed a 7:50 pace for 2.5 miles without dying at the end. I am trying to run 6 days a week even if it just a mile or two.

#6863833 - 01/29/13 03:17 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: slackereg6]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

That's the key IMO. Consistency. Even if they're junk miles, running 6 or 7 days a week gets your body used to running.

#6864088 - 01/29/13 05:48 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Colorado

Screw tapering, the extra confidence is worth it. Great time

#6864785 - 01/29/13 10:27 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: RI

Jesus! That's BLAZING.

I haven't run since 1/8. Fucked the knee thoroughly that day. I'll give it a shot again in a couple of weeks, hopefully.

Good luck w/ the next race. \:\)

still have an EM1--go figure

#6868574 - 01/31/13 12:01 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Damn dude...smokin!

#6873137 - 02/02/13 02:11 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Accidentally did 24 today.
Had a nice 20 planned and took a wrong turn and didnt realize for 2 miles.
Felt good though.

#6873323 - 02/02/13 04:54 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Back 5 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: CA
Would you all be so kind as to post up your daily training shoes? If I get the okay to run next week, I think I will want something with a bit more cushion than my NB minimus. I hate running in my Kinvara2's however. They feel way too soft, like my feet sink into the shoes.

I prefer to run sockless and I dislike the heel cushion to come up high enough to rub on my achilles.

#6873362 - 02/02/13 05:28 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Back 5]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Back 5
Would you all be so kind as to post up your daily training shoes? If I get the okay to run next week, I think I will want something with a bit more cushion than my NB minimus. I hate running in my Kinvara2's however. They feel way too soft, like my feet sink into the shoes.

I prefer to run sockless and I dislike the heel cushion to come up high enough to rub on my achilles.

I would recommend trying out the brooks pure line...low drop, decent cushion and good for running sockless.

#6873387 - 02/02/13 05:43 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Back 5 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: CA
 Originally Posted By: ampsman
 Originally Posted By: Back 5

I would recommend trying out the brooks pure line...low drop, decent cushion and good for running sockless.

I tried one of their shoes last year...felt like there was a ball under my forefoot and the shoe also felt like my foot was rolling forward...kinda how I envision Shape Ups feeling...like you are rolling forward.

#6873732 - 02/02/13 09:36 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Back 5]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Edmonton
Anyone know what to do with an inflamed Achilles? I don't want to stop running. I stretch, ice, wear more cushioned shoes, take a few more rest days, use Voltaren.

#6874697 - 02/03/13 03:02 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Impulsive]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Well shit...today's marathon was bittersweet. I ran a 3:20, which is a 12 minute PR, but I missed qualifying for Boston by 10 minutes. I suppose missing by that much is better than missing by a minute or something though.

Just wasnt feeling it today, and made a classic mistake of going too hard too early when the 3:10 pacer ran the first 2 miles in 7:30 and 7:49 (we needed to average below a 7:14). After that second mile I decided I needed to make up some time, so I ended up doing miles 4-8 at a sub 7 pace. That came back to haunt me in the later miles.

Oh well, a PR is still a good race in my book...Boston will still be there next time.

#6875472 - 02/03/13 10:17 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Impressive run nonetheless.

I'm surprised the Boston requires that fast of a qualification time. How do a ton of slow people end up making it in there then???

#6875558 - 02/03/13 11:15 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: gamby]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

They reserve a large number of spots for fundraisers, charity slots, inspiring stories, etc.

Thanks for the compliment....it was a solid effort on my part, so I'm happy.

#6876131 - 02/04/13 11:33 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Sucks about Boston but still a kick ass race!
I had that happen in a race before where I thought the pace group was laggin so I kicked it up and ended up getting passed by the pacer later on.
Did you full on bonk? Or just hurtin pretty bad?

#6876479 - 02/04/13 01:24 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

No real bonk, as I ran the whole thing other than walking through 2 aid stations to make sure some of the sports drink actually went in my mouth instead of down my shirt...and aerobically I felt fine too (was never really breathing heavy). It was more just overall feeling of being tired and worn down. I tried going faster, but my body just wouldn't respond. The inner quads started threatening to cramp with about 2 to go...thankfully that never happened!

Pretty sure the fitness was there, just a noob mistake on my part. You know how it is, once you let yourself turn it into a head game...it's only going downhill. At mile 3 I was obsessing over making up the time I needed instead of focusing on turnover and keeping an even pace.

In the end Im pretty happy with my results though.
I probably need 4 or 5 days of recovery, then I'll be hitting the trails as much as I can in the next few weeks. I'm really looking forward to a nice 8-9 minute pace at Way Too Cool. : D

#6876632 - 02/04/13 02:22 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

117 out of 2274 is fucking awesome no matter how you slice it. That's a powerhouse performance. Being in better than the top 10% of the men is just as great.

That fear of cramping is scary. On long, hot rides, I start feeling my hamstrings threatening it and I'm just like FFFFFFFUUUUUUU this is gonna SUCK.

Page 54 of 148 « First<5253545556>Last »

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads