Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#6706824 - 11/11/12 10:43 PM Is less really more? (transmission talk)
ScottStaypuff Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ohio
I'll admit, up until a few days ago I didn't know what a Powerglide was really was, other than they were popular with the drag racing crowd.

As I work on my Neon I'm planning out my Maverick build which will include a turbo LS (goal of ~600hp +/-). I've been eyeballing the "Pro Street" C4 by Performance Automatic which seems like it would get the job done and fit like stock (because the car has a c4 currently herp derp). It can be made to work with an off the shelf adapter bellhousing and a custom torque converter. Its $1800 but rated at 750hp and has a lifetime warranty. (Building my own c4 myself is also an option to save some dough)

But recently I was eyeballing the th400 which would work great but is huge, then the th350 which doesn't seem to be any stronger than a c4 and finally the Powerglide. It seems like guys with big power are making them work and they are fairly streetable, maybe I'd keep the rear end gears around a 3.20. You lose a gear but gain about 10whp across the board vs the c4. And even if the c4 has a warranty, it'll still be a huge pita if it breaks. I think most would say a well built PG would be stronger. If anything the PG is smaller too. WWCSI do?

Videos
#6707858 - 11/12/12 01:06 PM Re: Is less really more? (transmission talk) [Re: ScottStaypuff]
UglyValiant Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Milwaukee, WI
For the purposes of pure drag racing, sure...
1989 Shelby CSX (#500/500)
The most powerful production minivan money can buy.

#6708538 - 11/12/12 04:28 PM Re: Is less really more? (transmission talk) [Re: UglyValiant]
scootergeek Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: East of St. Louis
T56

#6708895 - 11/12/12 07:12 PM Re: Is less really more? (transmission talk) [Re: scootergeek]
ScottStaypuff Offline
Post Master Supreme

Scott, I have the Neon(s) I wanna row gears. \:\) I kinda like the idea of the auto for the Mav, in fact the PA "Pro Street" is still fully auto even though it handles 750hp (probably why its $500/more than the fully manual version) I do want to do a lot street driving, supposedly guys are doing just fine with PG's but maybe I should just stick with the C4 (KISS). Keeping the shifter on the column will help keep a sleeper status too, bonus. I'll waiver 5 times until I have it put together. lol

#6708917 - 11/12/12 07:21 PM Re: Is less really more? (transmission talk) [Re: ScottStaypuff]
scootergeek Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: East of St. Louis
I guess.

But it'd be cool as hell to throw a 6 speed in it.

#6708985 - 11/12/12 07:46 PM Re: Is less really more? (transmission talk) [Re: scootergeek]
ScottStaypuff Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: cousin Scott
I guess.

But it'd be cool as hell to throw a 6 speed in it.

I totally agree. I'll give it some thought.

#6713782 - 11/14/12 06:45 PM Re: Is less really more? (transmission talk) [Re: ScottStaypuff]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Nor Cal, Hella hurr durr
problem with the 'glide is you throw streetability out the window and off the cliff

#6713797 - 11/14/12 06:53 PM Re: Is less really more? (transmission talk) [Re: stickaz_old]
ScottStaypuff Offline
Post Master Supreme

I think I'm sticking with the c4 (maybe a chevy 3 speed). Denmah had pretty awesome results with a 3 speed and granny gears, hope my imitation flatters him!

#6713828 - 11/14/12 07:09 PM Re: Is less really more? (transmission talk) [Re: ScottStaypuff]
denham Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Macungie
powerglides are beasts
"denmah: because canada can't be the only country with a moof" - jsmonet
"LOL, you really are my hero denmah. You actually do the things the rest of us dream or bullshit about." - 98_1LE

#6720610 - 11/17/12 08:17 PM Re: Is less really more? (transmission talk) [Re: ScottStaypuff]
00Formula
Unregistered

I don't see the benefit of keeping a C4 behind ellis other than it's a ford trans in a ford car. For simplicity I would think a GM glide, three speed, or 4L80E would be better suited for ellis. I picked up a 4L80E for $700 from a junk yard, pulled and put on my trailer by the yard.
Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  auxilary, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads