Page 110 of 148 « First<108109110111112>Last »
Topic Options
#8106139 - 02/24/15 07:55 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Nor Cal, Hella hurr durr
I bring to you: my personal chart of fail

no data is hidden. These are all speedo weights, always taken after dinner/pre swim

I'm trying to get this sub 190# [I'm 6'1.5]

*turns out theres an impromptu 4.6m 'turkey trot' type event at work tomorrow [probably only a couple hundred will go], will try to PR it \:D

first time I did that route I avg'd 8:45 I think, second time was like 8:30 [feb and nov of last year], I probably would have done better the second time but I went out on a 7:30 and that caused a bit of a cry near the end [too fast for me obv]

Its got some elevation on it [rolling 30' hills] but strava always reports zero \:\(

#8106490 - 02/25/15 08:02 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: stickaz_old]
Trucks Offline
Post Master

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Hey guys. After running consistently during 2012 and 2013, I fell out of it in the last year. Just signed up for a half marathon in May to get my ass back into gear.

I want to buy a new pair of running shoes, and a friend told me you can find previous years' models online for cheaper than the current year's model. Is that true? And if so, where?

Sorry if this has been covered somewhere in the 100+ pages of this thread. Thanks!!

-Lee

#8106617 - 02/25/15 09:34 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Trucks]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: The OC
I've been pretty lucky finding good stuff on eBay.

Stickaz - trending in the right direction.

Ironmom - Pic or it didn't happen (I know you have one \:D ).
89 Camaro - Sold
CSI. What's your diversion?

#8106698 - 02/25/15 10:39 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Trucks]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

I have good luck @ Costco \:D

Just picked up a pair of Fila BEAUTS for $20/ea hehe

also one more weigh-in at 195+ and my trend line is ruined \:D

#8106801 - 02/25/15 11:14 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Design]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
Check out the sale section at RunningWarehouse.com

#8107388 - 02/25/15 04:58 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Trucks]
SJP0tato Offline

Loc: Gilbert, Az
 Originally Posted By: Trucks
I want to buy a new pair of running shoes, and a friend told me you can find previous years' models online for cheaper than the current year's model. Is that true? And if so, where?

I usually cross-shop: Amazon, runningwarehouse, and anything that comes up on sale that gets posted on slickdeals (shoes.com sometimes, rei once in awhile).

#8107477 - 02/25/15 06:22 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: SJP0tato]
Trucks Offline
Post Master

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Cool, thanks guys!

#8110828 - 02/27/15 03:14 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Trucks]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Realizing that Boston is going to be here before I know it, so Im trying to start bringing some speed back into my workouts. Today I did a test 10k down along the beach to see where I'm at. Not horrible but not too pretty either. A 7:12 average pace was a good hard effort. Sustainable for a half, definitely not for a full 26.2. Once Way Too Cool 50k is done in a week, I gotta get to work. The endurance is there, but I need to get that speed back.
I'll be racing as a 40 year old, so I get an extra 5 minutes (3:15) if I want to try and re-qualify for '16. Probably won't actually run it a second time though, so I'm not going to worry about getting a 2 or 3 minute cushion this time. 3:14:59 would be fine.

I may just say fuck it alltogether and stop for a few minutes to be a perv with the Wellsley girls. \:D

#8110896 - 02/27/15 03:50 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

if it's any consolation I'd be stoked as fuck to pace a low 7 minute mile for a 10k \:D [forget trying to hold that for a marathon lolol]

just guessing I'm somewhere between years-to-never being able to do that

I *think* I could hang around 8:10 or something for a 10k --absolutely murderizing myself

*I'm sure it isn't any consolation because fat/slow

#8111034 - 02/27/15 05:49 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: stickaz_old]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: RI
Did a 5k run this afternoon--first time doing anything outside since the first massive snow in late January. Still 3 feet of snow on the sidewalks, doe.

I should be in some pain tomorrow morning. A nice dinner and libations tonight will negate it effectively. \:\(

still have an EM1--go figure

#8111052 - 02/27/15 06:06 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: gamby]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

heh I've been avg'ing ~20 road miles/week all winter long \:D

#8111061 - 02/27/15 06:13 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: stickaz_old]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: RI
 Originally Posted By: zakcits
heh I've been avg'ing ~20 road miles/week all winter long \:D

The majority of my riding since November was in the woods on the cross bike. I've had zero outdoor miles in February. Might not have any til mid-March, as the roads are still so fucking sketchy with the lack of shoulder. Only one path gets plowed, the others are under the aforementioned 3' of snow.

still have an EM1--go figure

#8111127 - 02/27/15 07:01 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: gamby]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

that was on my feet doe \:D [riding I'm not doing much more tho lol]

#8111311 - 02/27/15 09:17 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: stickaz_old]
SJP0tato Offline

Tomorrow morning's my half I've been prepping for.
Got my pace band all printed out, the Garmin charged up, my stuff all laid out. Ready to rock it!

I'll report back with the glory and/or shame tomorrow. \:\)

#8111329 - 02/27/15 09:38 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: SJP0tato]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

sick pace man, good luck. I think I could pace that in my speedo for like the first 1.5 only hah

#8111391 - 02/27/15 10:53 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: stickaz_old]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Good luck buddy! Go out there and crush it!!!

#8111435 - 02/28/15 12:48 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Woot! Good luck man.

Chris, you are a beast.

Wrapped up the month with a 10 miler tonight on a stiff right calf and hamstring. But managed to cap February with 156 miles.

I think I'm going to stay off the feet through Monday and let those muscle groups recover.
89 Camaro - Sold

#8111649 - 02/28/15 12:50 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Design]
SJP0tato Offline

Well, didn't quite make it, but danged close this time: 1:31:02 official finish time

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/707793227

I got to the race plenty early (or so I thought), about an hour before it started. Turned out the port-o-potty line I was in took 59 minutes... I came out just in time to see the race start 3 seconds later, about 1/4 mile away.

I let most of the runners go before crossing the starting line to avoid crowding as much as I could, then stuck to the sidewalk the first 2 miles or so (people avoided them like the plague for whatever reason). I think I passed about 3k people in the first 10 mins.
The first 2-3 miles seemed to fly by, and holding pace was pretty easy. By mile 7ish I started struggling to stay on pace, and the "why in the hell am I running races, I'm NEVER doing this shit again!" thoughts started creeping in.

I just kept pushing, trying to hold on as much as I could. Because I had a 3-min late start, I was passing people pretty regularly up until mile 9-10 or so. By mile 11 I could feel myself fading pretty bad, but there was a nice short downhill just past the 12-mile mark, which I was able to pick things back up with nicely to bring mile 13 back close to pace.

Didn't quite make my sub 1:30 goal, but I'm still happy with the result.
It was in the upper 50's at the beginning of the race, about 10 degrees warmer than most mornings the past few weeks, which may have chiseled away a little bit on me, but it was still a good/fun race overall. Great course/crowd/vibe in general.

Future plans are upping the mileage over the summer, in preparation for my first full marathon the PF Chang's R&R in January. I'll probably run another local half in November in preparation, maybe I'll be able to pull off my 1:29:59 or less then. \:\)

#8111684 - 02/28/15 01:33 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: SJP0tato]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Sweet dude!so close wow

I noticed with the 'chip time' and corrals and all that that it's a giant WGAF thing with actually going for starting on the 'gun' yea? (Unless I guess you're going for a top 100 finish or something)

I seem to just barely be in the top third of finishers in a half so there's nothing wrong with me hanging back a little (my normal start corral is of course waaaay the fuck back in my time group), but I was just thinking if I happened to show up like 20 minutes after the start that I wouldn't give too many fucks (waves are still going/etc)

Just rambling thoughts. Great job tho, you killed it \:D

#8111810 - 02/28/15 03:56 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: stickaz_old]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Nice job potato! That's a solid time for sure!

#8111837 - 02/28/15 04:24 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: stickaz_old]
SJP0tato Offline

Thanks guys!

I noticed with the 'chip time' and corrals and all that that it's a giant WGAF thing with actually going for starting on the 'gun' yea? (Unless I guess you're going for a top 100 finish or something)

Yeah, so true. The only time it really matters is if the course is super narrow with no real opportunities to pass/go-around.
I think they must have listened to complaints from last year, because it felt super wide the whole way through: usually 3-5 full lanes width, vs the average 2 last year.

#8111851 - 02/28/15 04:46 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: SJP0tato]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Did you guys share the start with the full runners?

#8111956 - 02/28/15 07:42 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
SJP0tato Offline

Originally Posted By: Mrs. Ironmom
Did you guys share the start with the full runners?

Nah, it's a 1-way course and they start each distance at their respective place (which helps a lot with congestion):

They don't do corrals though, which I'm hoping they start doing soon as the crowd size is getting pretty ridiculous the past two I've been to.

#8112023 - 02/28/15 09:57 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: SJP0tato]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

I'm sure the half way outnumbered the full, so yeah...they should start doing that for sure. People lose all common sense when it comes to seeding themselves appropriately at the start of a race.

#8112530 - 03/01/15 03:09 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Loc: Gehenna
Damn Potato you nailed that race! That's crazy fast as far as I'm concerned.

I did a half in Miami Beach this morning myself. Basically from step 1 the calves/shins on both of my legs hurt more than I've ever had in my life. I don't know why but it was horrible, mile 1 clicked off at 8:34 and I felt like I was sprinting a sub-6 minute pace, right then I knew it wasn't going to be fun, lol. Until mile 5 I kept getting slower with my legs hurting, but they finally loosened up and I was able to pick up the pace, finished in 1:57:10, pretty happy to pull in under 2 hours considering. The 2 hour pacer had passed me by mile 3 and I repassed at mile marker 9 and stayed ahead.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/708967133

There's my Garmin Connect link for it.

I also used Tailwind for this race and felt pretty good, at mile 12 I could feel like I was losing some energy but was able to go the last mile without it affecting me.

#8112644 - 03/01/15 05:17 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Lividentity]
SJP0tato Offline

Nice race Livid, what do you think the cause of the lower leg pain was? Previous injury, or just a freak occurrence?

It looks like you really worked through it well, and sped things up quite a bit by mile 6 looking at your splits.

#8112715 - 03/01/15 07:16 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: SJP0tato]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

I wish I could run a 1:57 half \:D

I just had kind of a fail-experience. Was gonna run 15.0, but I missed my speedwork this week so I decided to get cute. Ran a 1.0 warmup into this and then ran miles 2,3,4 and .1 for a 'goal pace' 5k effort, except I went about :30s under goal pace/grade adjusted or like 15s under goal pace w/o grade adjustment [went 8:50/mi actual w/grade, goal pace is 9:09]

anyways the whole entire rest of the run sucked balls because of this I think. I ran into a friend of mine thank God at the halfway point [mile 7.5] when I was sitting on my ass, so we chatted for a bit and I got to rest otherwise it would have been much worse.

anyways here it is:
https://www.strava.com/activities/261806482
13.4m,10:21 pace, 277', lol

#8112787 - 03/01/15 09:18 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: stickaz_old]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Originally Posted By: SJP0tato
Nice race Livid, what do you think the cause of the lower leg pain was? Previous injury, or just a freak occurrence?

It looks like you really worked through it well, and sped things up quite a bit by mile 6 looking at your splits.

I really don't know. My only guess was I did a good amount of walking the evening before, walking around an outdoor mall and such there in Miami Beach, but I felt fine afterwards and slept fine. I've never had something like that happen before, so just chalking it up to a one time thing.

But yeah, I just kind of gave it what I could then picked it up once I was able to. I was hoping to go closer to 1:50 when I was at the starting line, but that went south fast lol.

I wish I could run a 1:57 half \:D

I just had kind of a fail-experience. Was gonna run 15.0, but I missed my speedwork this week so I decided to get cute. Ran a 1.0 warmup into this and then ran miles 2,3,4 and .1 for a 'goal pace' 5k effort, except I went about :30s under goal pace/grade adjusted or like 15s under goal pace w/o grade adjustment [went 8:50/mi actual w/grade, goal pace is 9:09]

anyways the whole entire rest of the run sucked balls because of this I think. I ran into a friend of mine thank God at the halfway point [mile 7.5] when I was sitting on my ass, so we chatted for a bit and I got to rest otherwise it would have been much worse.

anyways here it is:
https://www.strava.com/activities/261806482
13.4m,10:21 pace, 277', lol

Nothing wrong with a break, its a training run, not a race. I think it might have been better to do some faster work miles 8-12 range, so you only had a little cool down, instead of a 10+ mile cool down. Though I'm no expert. My longest speed work has been 7 miles and I usually have 2-3 miles of cool down in there.

In the end you did it and that rocks so way to go! Also, clicked on the link, why does it show km splits instead of mile splits? Stupid Strava.

#8112801 - 03/01/15 09:45 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Lividentity]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Yea I don't know what the fuck I was doing, I turned it into a long/slow run after mile 4 (which actually was my plan for the whole thing), I actually pretty much held my long/slow pace (10:00-10:30) miles 5-13 or just a bit over. I'm just commenting that it sucked really bad post about mile 8 heh

#8112855 - 03/02/15 12:25 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: stickaz_old]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Nice job guys. Solid performances all around!
89 Camaro - Sold

#8115104 - 03/03/15 02:28 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Design]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

seem to be staying in the right direction... I think I definitely have a shot at sub 190# raceweight at the end of the month \:D

#8120619 - 03/06/15 06:15 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: stickaz_old]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

I'll be running my 3rd Way Too Cool 50k in the morning. Would REALLY like to PR this year so I plan on running it hard. Bonk or Glory baby!

#8120679 - 03/06/15 07:03 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Good luck! Time flies, can't believe its Way Too Cool this weekend already. I'm planning on listening to the URP podcasts from this week about WTC this weekend on my 19 mile long run, the day after the race, lol.
#8121990 - 03/08/15 05:59 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Lividentity]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

probably my last practice half till the SF 1/2 at the end of march, felt pretty good considering it was warming up a bit. My best 'practice' half PR really [ignoring water breaks that totalled I think 5mins], 2:11 moving time, woot, going a hair over the distance so call it a just-barely sub 2:10

my goal with todays run was to hold 10:00/mile for a half. #nailed_it

#8121991 - 03/08/15 06:03 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: stickaz_old]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Good job stickaz! Right at the 10 min pace is awesome!

Can't wait to see the race report for WTC50k too!

Page 110 of 148 « First<108109110111112>Last »

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads