Page 105 of 148 « First<103104105106107>Last »
Topic Options
#8046618 - 01/15/15 11:01 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: stickaz_old]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
You're forgetting that neither Donnie not were ever runners prior to a few years ago. I've told my stories of falling apart in several marathons and every one of my IM runs. Donnie has his story of passing out on the trail a couple years ago.

No reason not to try and learn something from all of us that have experiences to pass on.

#8046747 - 01/15/15 11:57 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: The OC
I think the biggest barrier for first time marathoners is trepidation of the weekly training mileage, and the potential for injury. For me, just getting to 20+ miles was a huge mental breakthrough. My only regret was not following the training plan more closely. I did follow Higdon's recommendation of not skipping the longer rungs. But I do wish I had incorporated the short (and often easy) run the day prior. And I do wish I had incorporated more speed training.

This time around the mental block is more about getting past the fear of injury, and just knocking out the mileage at the recommended pace. Stickaz - it sounds like you might go through a similar transition.
89 Camaro - Sold
CSI. What's your diversion?

#8046976 - 01/15/15 01:42 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Ampsman in Extremis Offline
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Loc: San Jose, Ca, USA
 Originally Posted By: Mrs. Ironmom
You're forgetting that neither Donnie not were ever runners prior to a few years ago. I've told my stories of falling apart in several marathons and every one of my IM runs. Donnie has his story of passing out on the trail a couple years ago.

No reason not to try and learn something from all of us that have experiences to pass on.

This is the biggest advice I can give, train to embrace the pain not avoid it.
Its going to hurt and suck no matter how much you train, expect it and go with it.

Paki: 3:36

#8046996 - 01/15/15 01:59 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

So true. Pushing your body is supposed to hurt. \:D

#8047136 - 01/15/15 03:35 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Nor Cal, Hella hurr durr
not at all for sprinters
http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/news/try-this-fast-one-hour-usrpt-workout-of-the-week/

#8047302 - 01/15/15 05:00 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: stickaz_old]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

i have no idea what that has to do with anything.

#8047322 - 01/15/15 05:12 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

sprinting pushes your body

#8047346 - 01/15/15 05:38 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: stickaz_old]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: zakcits
sprinting pushes your body

So sprints in the pool don't hurt?

And swimming has fuck-all to do with running. \:D

#8047356 - 01/15/15 05:44 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

yea fortunately it has nothing to do with running. this was my counterpoint to 'pushing your body is supposed to hurt'. a 20-something second 100% effort/hypoxic explosion is like a release--it doesnt hurt

no, it doesnt. certainly not like your ultra stuff

#8047357 - 01/15/15 05:46 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: stickaz_old]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Hmmm, whenever I did speedwork in the pool training for tris, those bastards hurt.

#8047372 - 01/15/15 05:56 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

yea on the pain scale its like a 1 on the 1 to what happens to marathon newbs at/about mile 17 being a 8 and natural childbirth to shaq jr. w/o pain meds being a 10 and whatever happens after mile 70 of an ultra I imagine is an 11

now does a USRPT workout for sprinters hurt? sure, but that isn't what I was talking about. Now we're up to maybe a 3-4

#8047382 - 01/15/15 06:04 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: stickaz_old]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

To be honest I wouldnt say an ultra hurts any worse than a marathon...hell maybe it hurts less, it just hurts for alot longer.

#8048784 - 01/16/15 03:51 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

My marathon recovery has typically been 1-2 days before most of the soreness is gone. It's not really something I feel on the track; that's more general fatigue.

I've learned that the cramping felt by some marathoners in the later miles is partly due to sodium loss. Electrolyte capsules or salt would probably address this problem, as it has for me. Cramping/soreness involved with recovery seems to happen after 30-60 minutes of inactivity.
89 Camaro - Sold

#8048829 - 01/16/15 04:08 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Design]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Also, it sounds like you're expecting to fail Stickaz. Doesn't have to be that way with a good training plan. My first marathon last year was a learning experience but hardly a failure. I had one restroom stop and some general fatigue. But my mental state was rock solid from start to finish.

IMO most of the learning/failures happen during training. As I mentioned above, I kept cramping pretty bad around mile 15-17. Chris and others suggested Salt Tabs; solved my problem immediately. I'm sure you'll encounter and overcome your own roadblocks in training as well.
89 Camaro - Sold

#8049136 - 01/16/15 08:38 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Design]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

I hear you but in my narrative it's just easier to assume I'll be just like everyone else and blow up somewhere after 17 or so. I'm ok with that. If I do the right stuff and somehow avoid that amazeballs. But I think I'd rather just own that wall and accept it for marathon attempt 1.0 \:D

#8049298 - 01/17/15 03:53 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: stickaz_old]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

LOL. \:D

In other news, capped off a good training week with a 17+ miler tonight (34 total). Changed the route in favor of hills. A LOT of hills. Time suffered a bit @ 2:46:46. But I'm thinking this is good prep work for LA.

The good news is that I felt strong the entire run, despite some aggressive hills spanning over a mile each. It allowed me to pick up the pace the last couple miles.
89 Camaro - Sold

#8050041 - 01/18/15 10:03 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Cheesegoggles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Here

There are definitely different kinds of hurt. Running a hard 10k, pushing yourself through fatigue to the end, and feeling like you might pass out or puke at the end is fun. Running on joints that hurt because they need time to recover is not fun. At least not to me.

Anyway, my wife told me she wants me to do another full with her. I really don't want to, but told her if I got my half low enough I would consider it. Maybe if I get my half under 1:40. I doubt I am even capable of that so I should be safe

#8050171 - 01/18/15 12:54 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Cheesegoggles]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Loc: Gehenna
I just ran a half this morning in just under 1:52. Pretty happy about that considering I just started using kettlebells. On Thursday I did a leg exercise and this morning they still fucking hurt, right off the bat running hurt, so still being able to pull in under 2 hours was awesome. It helped that the weather was great and besides crossing 2 bridges twice there was no elevation, lol Florida.

The fun part was the mass start for a 5k, 5 miler, half-marathon, marathon and 50k. It was close to 2000 people all at once, lol. First mile was 10:24 just because of so many people.

#8050264 - 01/18/15 02:46 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Cheesegoggles]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Ludite Fanboi

There are definitely different kinds of hurt. Running a hard 10k, pushing yourself through fatigue to the end, and feeling like you might pass out or puke at the end is fun. Running on joints that hurt because they need time to recover is not fun. At least not to me.

Anyway, my wife told me she wants me to do another full with her. I really don't want to, but told her if I got my half low enough I would consider it. Maybe if I get my half under 1:40. I doubt I am even capable of that so I should be safe

Of course...Im not talking about "doing serious damage" pain...just that of hard work, fatigue, and exhaustion. IMO the marathon is far from the end-all be-all of running. Plenty of other distances to challenge yourself. Have you tried running on trails? It can be a life changer.

Edited by Mrs. Ironmom (01/18/15 02:56 PM)

#8050844 - 01/18/15 10:19 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

This is a representation of how I felt on miles 8,9, and 10 just now

I thought I was past this point lol.

#8050848 - 01/18/15 10:23 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Capped off my biggest week in awhile with a moderate 13.5 miles tonight. 61.5 miles total. The shin is feeling better (been rolling it with my new Tiger Tail stick) and Im ready to taper this week for my 50k on Sunday. Plan on running every day (Im going for a year streak) but will keep it short and easy.

148 miles YTD.

#8050980 - 01/19/15 02:16 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Some good results guys.

Went and did a Spartan Race with a friend today. 5 miles, 1000+ ft of vert, and 26 obstacles. The only saving grace was that the weather was a nice 72. It was a real confidence booster being able to do some of the challenges without barely beating an eyelash, while those around me looked like they wanted to die. Carrying a 60lb sandbag 1/8 mile uphill should have been much worse than it really was.

That said, there were a couple of strength based obstacles - such as the rope climb - that I look to as opportunities lol. It was a good reminder that I was wanting to build in a few more free weight exercises into my routine. \:D
89 Camaro - Sold

#8051162 - 01/19/15 09:38 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Cheesegoggles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Here
 Originally Posted By: Ludite Fanboi

Of course...Im not talking about "doing serious damage" pain...just that of hard work, fatigue, and exhaustion. IMO the marathon is far from the end-all be-all of running. Plenty of other distances to challenge yourself. Have you tried running on trails? It can be a life changer.

I would love to run on trails but they just aren't convenient. Spending 40-60 minutes in the car round trip to go run when I can just walk out the door in run isn't a good use of my time even if I would enjoy it. Maybe when my daughter is older.

Trail running would also introduce all kinds of new ways for me to hurt myself.

#8060971 - 01/25/15 06:50 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Cheesegoggles]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Decided to post here instead of my other thread for the half I ran today. Considering a half is far from an ultra. ;\) So I ran the Miami Half-Marathon today, along with 13 thousand other people. It was a nice course with perfect weather, high hit 55, started around 40 is my guess. Ran through Miami and Miami Beach, was neat to see the cruise ships, as I've never been on a cruise nor seen one of those boats semi-up close like that, wow. they're large, lol.

I ran in a pair of shoes I bought yesterday and hated. So I returned them for different shoes. My last 2 shoes have been Brooks PureConnect3 and Altra The One 2. Both of them give me pain in my right big toe that then goes down into the ball of my foot behind my big toe. Trying to figure out a different shoe that helps. So I got a stability shoe, New Balance 1340v2 and they felt good in the store, but within a mile of the race they were really hurting the balls of my feet. I ended up with a blister on my left foot, which is my first running blister ever. So I returned them for the Saucony Cortana 4. These felt good in the store as well, we'll see what happens this week with them. I am debating on trying the Altra Repetition or Provision, as they're stability shoes with high/medium cushioning. I do like the size of the Altra, just The One 2's aren't the best for me. However, the running store I go to doesn't carry those shoes, so I might check another store.

The race itself went well with me finishing in 1:48:59 officially, which is my 2nd fastest half. I was happy with running that strong on sore feet and bad shoes, lol. My last 4 miles were: 8:09, 7:54, 7:47, 7:35. Pretty happy about finishing strong, my 3 fastest miles were the last 3 and each was faster than the last. So that was nice. Now I have until March 1st for my next half.

#8061010 - 01/25/15 07:27 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Lividentity]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Good job man. Nice times!

Wrapped up another big training week @ 34.75 miles. Friday's 16 mile run followed a moderate 6.75 miler the day prior. Lots and lots of hills too. I think my calves have had enough lol.

I have one interval session tonight. The rest of the week is all slow runs to soak up the previous weeks of heavy training.

7 weeks until LA Marathon.
89 Camaro - Sold

#8061013 - 01/25/15 07:31 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Design]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Great day on a tough 50k course in the Mojave Desert. 13th OA, 2nd 30-39 AG. Not my fastest 50k, but I managed a 5:23.

#8061044 - 01/25/15 07:56 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Sounds like a nice week Design!

And as usual Ironmom is killing it! 13th is nuts. Well, unless that's out of 13.

But seriously man you rocked that race! Makes my race today feel slow lol.

#8061186 - 01/25/15 10:16 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Lividentity]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Lividentity
Sounds like a nice week Design!

And as usual Ironmom is killing it! 13th is nuts. Well, unless that's out of 13.

But seriously man you rocked that race! Makes my race today feel slow lol.

Hehe \:D

13/100 overall, 2/16 AG.

#8061188 - 01/25/15 10:18 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

You are a beast dude. Nice work.

I decided to skip my interval training tonight in favor of resting my right calf. Going to ice and resume tomorrow.
89 Camaro - Sold

#8062468 - 01/26/15 04:23 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Design]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

congrats ironmom on a great run my strava stalking suggests those first 10 miles were pretty ballsy \:o \:o

I did some light hill repeats last night after surfing , it beat me up pretty good and I was slow as fuck

however the surfing was off-the-chain [8-12'] and it was a non-stop fight to keep up with the current off the pt

#8062510 - 01/26/15 04:46 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: stickaz_old]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Haha, the first 17 miles were basically a continual steady climb. I took it pretty easy. Once at the top there were some technical downhills then some PITA rolling terrain through a Mars-like landscape for the last 8 miles.

Lucky for me I ran those last miles with 2nd place female...who was hot as hell and cursed like a sailor. That made the miles roll on by.

#8062522 - 01/26/15 04:56 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

#8062544 - 01/26/15 05:14 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: stickaz_old]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

You guys are killing me.
89 Camaro - Sold

#8062576 - 01/26/15 05:45 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Design]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Fuck those little bumps at the end.

#8064451 - 01/27/15 06:47 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Anyone ever run in Altra Provision or Repetition shoes before? Interested in looking at some level of stability shoe. I just got a pair of Saucony Cortana and will run in them tomorrow for the first time, so we'll see how they go. I do like the zero drop and large toe box on the Altra's I do have (The One) but they don't support my foot the way I'd like.
Page 105 of 148 « First<103104105106107>Last »

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads