Page 53 of 148 « First<5152535455>Last »
Topic Options
#6800351 - 12/30/12 09:04 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: RI
Bigtime IT band issues 2 days ago, 8" of snow yesterday. No running for awhile.

Did an hour of fast spinning on the mag trainer today--that felt awesome, though \:\)

still have an EM1--go figure

#6800600 - 12/30/12 10:41 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: gamby]
Ampsman in Extremis Offline
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Loc: San Jose, Ca, USA
Damn man, youre puttin it down!

Paki: 3:36

#6802284 - 12/31/12 05:45 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

So I'm a little freaked out.
I decided to use my HR monitor for the first time, I had gone pretty hard the last 4 days so I went out for an easy 4 miles just to get loose.
I ran at 7:35 pace and was working on my nose breathing and some technique stuff, I was not the slightest bit winded when I finished the run.
My HR monitor showed my avg HR at 208bpm.
I'm guessing something was off with my monitor, right?

#6802447 - 12/31/12 08:36 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
MonkeyStillAlive Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Sunny FL
Iron mom you are tearing it up. I looked at my distance for the year and figured out I have done 557 miles this year. Probably about 80% of which came starting in August. This is from last years total of maybe 20 miles. Haha. I guess you can say I've got the bug. The past few weeks have been pretty weak because I've been sick, but I did a half on Saturday and 6.6 today. The half was still pretty slow, but I was much better today. I think I'll be able to complete my goal of finishing my first marathon on the 13th in 4 hours or less.
#6802539 - 12/31/12 10:13 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
 Originally Posted By: ampsman
So I'm a little freaked out.
I decided to use my HR monitor for the first time, I had gone pretty hard the last 4 days so I went out for an easy 4 miles just to get loose.
I ran at 7:35 pace and was working on my nose breathing and some technique stuff, I was not the slightest bit winded when I finished the run.
My HR monitor showed my avg HR at 208bpm.
I'm guessing something was off with my monitor, right?

My heart rate would probably read sky high just from the anxiety of feeling something strapped to me chest.

Quote:
Iron mom you are tearing it up. I looked at my distance for the year and figured out I have done 557 miles this year. Probably about 80% of which came starting in August. This is from last years total of maybe 20 miles. Haha. I guess you can say I've got the bug. The past few weeks have been pretty weak because I've been sick, but I did a half on Saturday and 6.6 today. The half was still pretty slow, but I was much better today. I think I'll be able to complete my goal of finishing my first marathon on the 13th in 4 hours or less.

Thanks man. THose are some great numbers you've put up yourself. I'm at 1642 miles for the year right now. If the wife gets home from work in the next hour (she's in sales and its the end of the year, quarter, month=late night) I'm heading out on one final run for 2012. I'm sitting at 198 for the month and I want to top the 202.8 from October. \:D

#6803820 - 01/01/13 08:05 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Woot first of the year and a solid PR on my 7.5 mile tempo run.

7:46
7:15
6:53
6:33
6:15
7:23
7:44
Last 1/2: 7:54

Fastest mile in a tempo before this was a 6:28 at the same distance.

#6803852 - 01/01/13 08:21 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
MonkeyStillAlive Offline
Post Master Sr

Nice. I did 5 this afternoon at a 7:44 pace.
#6804779 - 01/02/13 11:10 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: MonkeyStillAlive]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

ok, im a retard. I had the strap on wrong.
I went out last night and did an easy 8 at 7:30 pace, avg was 153 and max was 160 and that was with the last 2 miles at 6:48 pace.
I feel better now.

#6805127 - 01/02/13 01:33 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Here is 2012's summary:

Count:
202 Activities
Distance:
1,347.38 mi
Time:
172:25:34 h:m:s
Elevation Gain:
58,297 ft
Avg Speed:
7.8 mph
Calories:
160,721 C

#6811271 - 01/04/13 10:46 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Woot, new mileage PR for the last week:

64 miles.

Hot shit.

#6811421 - 01/05/13 02:52 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

haha, I got 7 miles in for the week!
Next week, maybe I'll go for 8!

#6811574 - 01/05/13 09:08 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: ]
Trucks Offline
Post Master

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Ran my second race this morning, a 10K in Central Park (first race was 4 miles in December). Finished in 51:01 (8:14), was hoping to break the 8 minute mark but I think all the hills at the north end of the park slowed me down. Last time I ran 6 miles was in October and it took me 53:52 though so I guess I'm doing pretty well.

#6811696 - 01/05/13 10:42 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Trucks]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Nice job man, that's a great time!

#6811782 - 01/05/13 11:59 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Trucks Offline
Post Master

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Thanks dude

#6814442 - 01/06/13 08:59 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Ironmom
Woot, new mileage PR for the last week:

64 miles.

Hot shit.

damn dude! nice.
I've done 88 miles in the last 11 days and am feeling ready to ramp up.
I just read jurek's book and am experimenting with some of his smoothies and these energy ball things he makes.

#6816632 - 01/07/13 07:56 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

As I posted in the marathin thread.....FML. Started getting some fairly significant knee pain on my easy run on saturday. Bad enough that I've taken the last two days off, and probably the next two as well to see where I stand. From what I can tell, it's where my MCL runs across the anterior part of my kneecap. Kind of like ITB, but on the inside. Hurts during the flexing motion, and feels close to the surface since it hurts if I rub there.

I'm praying to whatever gods there might be to not let this derail my BQ attempt.

#6816792 - 01/07/13 08:44 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

FWIW, that's my exact knee pain. I just took almost 2 weeks off and the lingering pain is all gone. Gonna run tomorrow and see if it returns.

A similar pain on the bike 2 years ago was diagnosed as tendonitis after am MRI. I worked through that with ibuprofen and was eventually fine (same knee as the one with the current issues).

#6817066 - 01/07/13 10:30 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: gamby]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's just some overuse inflammation...it just sucks because I was feeling invincible lately. I know I can take a week off and not lose any significant fitness, but It's mind fucking me right now anyways.

#6817127 - 01/07/13 11:06 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
micah Offline
Tight Knit Marriage
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Columbia, SC
Side note, you guys like Sweeney? I've got a bit of a thing for her. I hate the fuckin' Biggest Loser but I had a crush on her since the first time I saw her in that soap opera.

http://www.runnersworld.com/celebrity-runners/im-runner-alison-sweeney

... sorry about yr knee Ironmom! Don't overthink it, and for god's sake, stop rubbing it!

#6817174 - 01/07/13 11:52 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's just some overuse inflammation...it just sucks because I was feeling invincible lately. I know I can take a week off and not lose any significant fitness, but It's mind fucking me right now anyways.

Do some daily fast spinning on the trainer (which would require you to get back on the bike). This didn't hinder my recovery at all. I am a bit hesitant to see how things will feel post-run tomorrow, though.

#6817629 - 01/08/13 10:38 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

As I posted in the marathin thread.....FML. Started getting some fairly significant knee pain on my easy run on saturday. Bad enough that I've taken the last two days off, and probably the next two as well to see where I stand. From what I can tell, it's where my MCL runs across the anterior part of my kneecap. Kind of like ITB, but on the inside. Hurts during the flexing motion, and feels close to the surface since it hurts if I rub there.

I'm praying to whatever gods there might be to not let this derail my BQ attempt.

fuck man...thats my biggest worry is getting over confident and piling on the mileage to fast and getting injured.
im sure you'll be fine though after a couple days off.
i had some aches and pains so I took yesterday off and then did 9 this morning and felt great.

#6819196 - 01/08/13 11:01 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Felt like a beast on today's run after the 2 week layoff. Then 2 miles in, OWEEE!!! OWEEE!!!!

Icepick to the knee and I walked home before doing any damage. Bummed me out, because I felt fantastic. It's the same bullshit now as it was 18 years ago--constant injuries. As much as I want to run, my body just doesn't want to let me run.

I'll go back to the bike and try again in a week or two.

#6819275 - 01/09/13 12:05 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: gamby]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Was able to do 5 tonight and felt just okay. It felt like a lingering soreness as opposed to the sharp pain from two days ago. I'm hoping its just slowly fading and I'll be able to do my last 20 miler on sunday. I need that confidence boost for these next 3 weeks before the race.

#6824207 - 01/10/13 11:37 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Still running through this knee issue. Did 7.5 at a 7:22 pace last night, and another 7.5 tempo run peaking at 6:25 tonight. Felt okay....nothing that keeps me from running hard, just a residual soreness.

My ten miler on saturday and 20 miler on sunday will be the true test.

#6824255 - 01/11/13 12:34 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Fuck. Good luck.

I'm still leery of the pain.

Been doing an hour a day on the trainer lately.

#6824469 - 01/11/13 08:36 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
MonkeyStillAlive Offline
Post Master Sr

Still running through this knee issue. Did 7.5 at a 7:22 pace last night, and another 7.5 tempo run peaking at 6:25 tonight. Felt okay....nothing that keeps me from running hard, just a residual soreness.

My ten miler on saturday and 20 miler on sunday will be the true test.

Doesn't look like it's slowing you down much.

#6824625 - 01/11/13 09:49 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: MonkeyStillAlive]
Back 5 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: CA
How tight is your IT band Mr. Mom? At this point in the game, I'm sure your running biomechanics are good. So we need to consider a breakdown in your biomechanics at the hip, due to muscle imbalance. Otherwise, you need to consider a chronic inflammatory process.

Anyway. How does your toe look on your affected side while you run? Do you have a noticeable toe out on that side? Would indicate tight IT Band, piriformis and the external rotators. Quad imbalance, coupled with a tight IT Band could lead to a slight lateral deviation of the kneecap, softening of the cartilage under the kneecap and resulting in some noticeable pain.

Just wanted ask some questions and see what you might be able to start working on to address the issue.

#6824717 - 01/11/13 10:25 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Back 5]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Wow. Awesome info/insight. \:\)

What are some things that can be done to loosen it? I read somewhere that the IT band is like a piece of leather and that stretching it won't do much of anything, but that's just one opinion.

I've found a couple of decent stretches, but are they a waste of time?

#6824884 - 01/11/13 11:29 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: gamby]
Back 5 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: CA
Stretching is never a waste of time. Get a marathon stick, or just use a rolling pin if you have one at home. Both will work fine. Get a foam roller or get a large diameter PVC pipe to roll out the legs.

My GF has overly tight external rotators/IT Band on the right and she has chronic knee pain as a result. I'm still trying to get her to stretch and roll out the leg everyday. /sigh

#6825309 - 01/11/13 01:35 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Back 5]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Back 5
Stretching is never a waste of time. Get a marathon stick, or just use a rolling pin if you have one at home. Both will work fine. Get a foam roller or get a large diameter PVC pipe to roll out the legs.

My GF has overly tight external rotators/IT Band on the right and she has chronic knee pain as a result. I'm still trying to get her to stretch and roll out the leg everyday. /sigh

I was just looking at foam rollers the other day. Cheapass me is trying to find a deal.

Was looking at different handheld ones and I'm guessing they're more for the side of the thigh and not for the side of the knee (foam roller for that?).

Any links/vids to stretches you like???

#6825381 - 01/11/13 01:54 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: gamby]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

I have a foam roller and love it, that bitch makes me hurt so good.

#6825506 - 01/11/13 02:30 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Back 5]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Back 5
How tight is your IT band Mr. Mom? At this point in the game, I'm sure your running biomechanics are good. So we need to consider a breakdown in your biomechanics at the hip, due to muscle imbalance. Otherwise, you need to consider a chronic inflammatory process.

Anyway. How does your toe look on your affected side while you run? Do you have a noticeable toe out on that side? Would indicate tight IT Band, piriformis and the external rotators. Quad imbalance, coupled with a tight IT Band could lead to a slight lateral deviation of the kneecap, softening of the cartilage under the kneecap and resulting in some noticeable pain.

Just wanted ask some questions and see what you might be able to start working on to address the issue.

Nah, it's not my IT band, as I had that two years ago as I was building up my mileage pretty quickly, then did my first Ironman where the run had a couple of big uphills and downhills...the pain from that was something there was no way I was going to run through it. I'd run 2 miles with no pain, then bam...it would fire right back up. I believe I took almost 5 weeks off with zero running before I could start back up. Never had an issue after that.

This pain is on the anterior part of my knee, just to the left of my kneecap. I can pinpoint it with my finger, and its tender to the touch. Based on this image, I'm guessing it's the MCL. It's not inside my knee, and its just that one spot where it goes over the bone.

Like I said above, its definitely getting better....I think it was just my body saying "whoa buddy" to the increased mileage. (it was the day after I finished out that 64 mile week, which was a full 10 miles more than I had ever done before) Currently it just feels like the lingering feeling after you get a bruise or pull something.

I'm a very biomechaniclly sound runner. I run in neutral shoes and have even wear. No pronation and a midfoot strike. Other than that bout of ITB, I haven't had anything sideline my training the last 3 years...and its been a pretty aggressive progression.

I'm 3 weeks out from my big race, so the plan is to get through this last weekend of big training and then follow the taper in my plan...maybe a little more rest than even the taper calls for.

Thanks for the advice!

Edited by Ironmom (01/11/13 02:31 PM)

#6827538 - 01/12/13 04:31 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Got in 20 today with 4000ft elevation gain, my calves feel trashed but other than that felt really good. Third straight week of 50+ miles.

#6829189 - 01/13/13 05:38 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Right on man. I did 10 miles a sub race pace last night at like 8pm and felt pretty damn good, then woke up at 8am this morning and did my 20 miler. It wasn't as great feeling. I'm not used to running in the morning (other than race day), it was cold, I was fatigued, and I was underfueled since I couldn't eat much last night after my run because I was shitting myself.

Still, I did it, and I managed a 7:54 pace, and since my plan calls for me to do these long runs at 30-90 seconds slower than race pace (7:10), I was right on target.

Good news is that all my long runs are done. Here on out its a taper with only a 12 mile long run next sunday with lots of short easy runs till race day on the 3rd.

Oh, and also did my biggest week by .5 miles...55.

#6829191 - 01/13/13 05:38 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Oh, and I'm patiently waiting for a report from our two racers today...

Page 53 of 148 « First<5152535455>Last »

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads