Page 120 of 148 « First<118119120121122>Last »
Topic Options
#8364491 - 09/14/15 10:50 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Design]
Dr. BrokenLimits Online   shocked
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Austin, TX
 Originally Posted By: Design

That feeling at mile 20 will not change with future marathons lol.

Quite a few people told me that.

I can't help but think I could have been just a little more prepared.

#8365677 - 09/14/15 10:37 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Dr. BrokenLimits]
SJP0tato Offline

Loc: Gilbert, Az
 Originally Posted By: Dr. BrokenLimits
Not sure what happened but the wheels kind of fell off around mile 20. It's not that I was tired or hurt, I just wasn't mentally in the race. It was a very odd feeling. I still finished. It was my first marathon. If/when I do another one I will probably do a little longer long runs toward the end (my longest was 19 before I did this).

My official time was 4:34:06. My goal was to finish between 4:15-4:30. If I had stayed on pace like I was before mile 20 I would have hit that and more. Oh well.

I finished 17th in my age class out of 20. Damn 30-35 class

Nice!

If you get a chance, a race report would be cool (it's always fun to read about other's experience/impression during the race at various points).

In my own running journey, today's my day 1 of the Pfitzinger 18wk/75mi plan. I made it through the summer on the 18wk/55mi plan, with some kind of knee injury in the last 4 weeks or so (really weird soreness that'd crop up intermittently). Some stretches seemed to make it finally go away: most specifically this one a trainer recommended when I described the symptoms: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKm1jeD11xY
so I'm off to a good start.

I think I'm going to be a little more conservative this time around, if I'm feeling super sore and/or stiff cutting out the speedwork for that day's run, and I think I'm going to try cycling for an hour instead of the 5-6mi recovery runs he has in the mid week for extra recovery time at least 1x per week if not both (recovery days are Wed/Fri for me).

We'll see how it goes, I'm feeling super strong cardio-wise from the summertime running. My legs I think will have to be my main focus on the build up to Jan's race.

#8365867 - 09/15/15 07:59 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: SJP0tato]
Post Master Supreme

I am not sure what all is involved and to be honest, there are parts of the race I do not even remember.

The Sioux Falls Marathon is a new race. The route is new this year and is a certified Boston qualifier. It had a lot of turns and it had some decent elevation changes. Here is the route:

Link to map

I live about 60 miles south of Sioux Falls. I got a hotel for Saturday night. I was in bed pretty early but had a really hard time sleeping. I woke up about every hour or so. I got up at 4:45 and got dressed. Drinking water the entire time. The gun went off at 6:30am and there was supposed to be a few pre race events.

The organizers did not stick to the schedule very well and that made me a little nervous. Just before the gun I felt that I had to pee. Oh well.

During my long runs I was pacing about 9:40/mile. I felt good with that pace and that was my plan for the entire race. I wanted to settle my nerves though so I decided to just hang back with the 10:07 pace group for the first few miles and then I would move up.

This was a solid plan except these ass holes kept bunching up and would not sort themselves out. I was getting pretty annoyed by mile 5 (and wasn't settling down) and I had to pee pretty bad.

I went out in front of the 10:07 pacers and gained a bit of lead. At mile 5 we were in Falls Park and a real bathroom. I peeled off and peed. It was the longest pee EVER for some reason. I then headed back on to the course. The good thing was I knew that if I slowly reeled back in the 10:07 group I would not have lost too much time.

I caught them about mile 7 and then decided I would get out in front of them for good.

The race had a lot of spectators at some points and they were all terrific. There was one group that was along the Big Sioux river in a sort of channel where it is just runners and bikers. There were a ton of them and it really got my feeling pretty good.

I really cannot report too much after that other than I was just trying to maintain my pace. I had a decent lead on the 10:07 people and I could barely see anyone in front of me. As with just about every race I have ever done I manage to get into some middle lull where I am all alone. All fine with me.

I only drank water at the aid stations and I chewed 100 calorie things about every 2-3 miles. I was feeling damn good and confident until mile 20.

There was an aid station and I can remember thinking man, I am not feeling this. I sipped two cups of water at a brisk walk through the station (as I did with most of the stations) but I couldn't get motivated again. There was a woman in pink that was doing the same thing in front of me and when she started to run again I just latched on to her. I am not even sure she noticed me. I was about 6 feet behind her though.

She kept checking her pace and she was running exactly 9:40 (I confirmed) so I just held on to her for about 1.5 miles. Then we hit another aid station and I had the same problem again. This time after the aid station there was a long run along the Big Sioux again that went over a bridge and back. I told myself I would walk until the bridge and then run again.

OF COURSE the bridge is where two of my CURRENT students were volunteers. I remember telling the first one, "this is the worst idea I have ever had" and the second one told me to "pick it up, I will drive you to class on Monday" (ironically she was not in class yesterday?).

Anyway I picked it back up then and then I basically ran about 3/4 of mile and then walked 1/4 and then ran 3/4 until I was with a woman that was essentially doing the same thing. She asked me if this was my first and told me I looked very strong and that I probably needed to work on my eating during the race. She ran a 100 miler in the BLACK HILLS last week!!!! That is why she was "struggling."

But, I owe her big. She pushed me. She said things like, "we will run until X spot then walk a few" and then when we were walking she would make me run with her. We chatted the entire time and we ran for the last mile. The last 0.2 of the race were inside the large stadium and we did one lap on the track. She told me if I did not sprint it she would be disappointed

She was awesome.

At the end of the day, I am a little disappointed because I know I could have done better. The mile 20 thing is weird because it is not that I was tired or that I was sore, I just was not feeling it.

Anyway, I will be doing another. I just bought a bike and I am looking at a few triathlons as well.

Edited by Dr. BrokenLimits (09/15/15 08:00 AM)

#8366167 - 09/15/15 11:00 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Dr. BrokenLimits]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Nor Cal, Hella hurr durr
This post does not encourage me for my first 26.2 next year

#8366182 - 09/15/15 11:06 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: stickaz_old]
Post Master Supreme

You should definitely do it. Advice for you would be to make your final long runs around 22-23 miles (I only made it to 19). Also make a plan for eating along the course. I think I waited too long to eat (when I started sucking instead of early before I started sucking).

If I had done those things I am very sure I never would have walked and would have maintained my pace.

#8366222 - 09/15/15 11:35 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Dr. BrokenLimits]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
Great write up! You should feel confident..you had a totally respectable first marathon and you also had the classic first marathon experience.

That feeling you had at 20? Yeah...that was a bonk. Maybe lack of nutrition, maybe lack of long runs, likely a combo of the two. Mostly though...it's all about gaining experience. Pacing is a huge part of marathonong, so the bouncing around between paces early on likely taxed you a little too much.

Mile 20is also a fantastic time to put some headphones in and jam out.

#8366226 - 09/15/15 11:41 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

In my own running endeavors, my training buildup for Javelina 100 is going well. Didn't get the big weekend of training I wanted last week because of my father in law getting sick, but I'm averaging well over 50 miles a weekend will continue to bump that up to a couple of 70 milers. Signed up for a tough trail marathon for next weekend (6k feet of vert!) that should be another good test of fitness.
Body is feeling super tough and my weight continues to drop.

#8366227 - 09/15/15 11:41 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Dr. BrokenLimits]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: The OC
I also encourage doing at least one 22-24 miler in training. It doesn't really do much beyond 20 miles for conditioning. But the perspective gained is huge IMO.

The "wall" is simply that condition where the mind is says one thing and the body says another. Pain isn't always involved; it seems to be more mental fatigue.

The one thing that's helped me more than anything else is back-to-back long runs. They are really the only way IMO to encounter that condition repeatedly in training, and teach the mind & body to move past it.

I start marathon training in two weeks for the LA Marathon. Going to be a big one this year with the Olympic Trials. Should be fun!
89 Camaro - Sold
CSI. What's your diversion?

#8366257 - 09/15/15 12:19 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Colorado
 Originally Posted By: Mrs. Ironmom
In my own running endeavors, my training buildup for Javelina 100 is going well. Didn't get the big weekend of training I wanted last week because of my father in law getting sick, but I'm averaging well over 50 miles a weekend will continue to bump that up to a couple of 70 milers. Signed up for a tough trail marathon for next weekend (6k feet of vert!) that should be another good test of fitness.

Looking forward to hearing how this one goes. I expect sub-24

In my ultra running news, my little brother signed up for the Run Rabbit Run 50 miler last week. Hasn't exactly been doing a ton of running but he did run a 25 mile and trail marathon this summer. Otherwise he hikes a lot. I think he's in for a world of pain but he knows that and is looking forward to it. Same brother who has jumped into a couple century bike rides on our mom's 15 year old steel Trek haha

#8366594 - 09/15/15 03:46 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: 2000SiRacer]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Ultrasignup has me projected at 21 hours.

Originally Posted By: 2000SiRacer

Looking forward to hearing how this one goes. I expect sub-24

In my ultra running news, my little brother signed up for the Run Rabbit Run 50 miler last week. Hasn't exactly been doing a ton of running but he did run a 25 mile and trail marathon this summer. Otherwise he hikes a lot. I think he's in for a world of pain but he knows that and is looking forward to it. Same brother who has jumped into a couple century bike rides on our mom's 15 year old steel Trek haha

#8366670 - 09/15/15 04:40 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Colorado
And I expect you to beat that! I'm looking for something ending in -teen now.

#8372494 - 09/20/15 10:26 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: 2000SiRacer]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Solid week of training here. 71 miles, 178 for the month so far. Had a couple real good race-specific runs where it was super hot out, and I felt strong. Body is feeling rock solid too. Plan is to try and do at least 25 this week before the Saddleback Mountain marathon on Saturday. Should be hot, and it has 6k feet of vert....ill be shooting for sub 5 hours and top 10 overall.

#8372541 - 09/20/15 11:53 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Nice Chris.

For me, LA Marathon training kicked off this weekend. Probably going to do a running group this time around. See if I can finally break that elusive 4hr barrier.
89 Camaro - Sold

#8375857 - 09/23/15 03:16 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Ampsman in Extremis Offline
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Loc: San Jose, Ca, USA
Solid week of training here. 71 miles, 178 for the month so far. Had a couple real good race-specific runs where it was super hot out, and I felt strong. Body is feeling rock solid too. Plan is to try and do at least 25 this week before the Saddleback Mountain marathon on Saturday. Should be hot, and it has 6k feet of vert....ill be shooting for sub 5 hours and top 10 overall.

Wish I could have made it down for that one. You're gonne kill it!

As for me....COMMENCE 5K TRAINING!!!

Shooting for sub 17, but we'll see.

Paki: 3:36

#8375886 - 09/23/15 03:42 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

sick, thats my next goal too [not the 17 minute part]

#8379198 - 09/26/15 05:17 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: stickaz_old]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Had a pretty good race this morning. They shortened it by two miles to 24 due to the high heat, but it still had almost 5k feet of vert, most of it exposed. Did a good job of keeping myself cool and hydrated and managed a 4:22 and 8th OA, 2nd 40-49 AG.

#8379380 - 09/27/15 12:28 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Wow great job!

#8379407 - 09/27/15 01:58 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: stickaz_old]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Great job Chris. Crazy heat today, no doubt.

I was out in Temecula today doing the Spartan Beast. At 97°, they projected that well over 30% (~1700) would be DNF.
89 Camaro - Sold

#8384097 - 10/01/15 12:52 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Design]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Ended up with my 3rd highest mileage month with 258. A few dozen more would look good on paper, but I'm feeling pretty solid right now and I'm feeling confident that I have a sub 22 hour finish in me for Javelina Jundred in 30 days.

Hoping to have 2 more big weeks of training, then a good taper.

#8385502 - 10/01/15 06:57 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Loc: Gehenna
Man I feel like a total failure with 163 miles last month, hahaha. Though, I should have had almost 200 but had some issues and had to cut some runs short. Still happy with it!

My plan right now is 24 hours from now starting my 40 mile run and doing it overnight, ugh. I just assume it will be terrible, lol.

My hope is to finish Javelina Jundred in like 28-30 hours though. You'll be done when I finish 100k probably, haha.

#8387640 - 10/03/15 03:20 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Lividentity]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Spur of the moment trail half, ended up being almost 14 miles with 3600 feet vert. Did it in 2:14 for 14th overall in a pretty deep field since there was $1000 first place check. The winner of last weekends San jose rock n roll half ran it and only beat me by about 5 minutes. Pretty brutal and hot course. Had fun though and helped pace the first place woman thru a rough patch. Ran her first trail half and got $1000 check, not bad.

#8387656 - 10/03/15 04:00 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Jordan/meb only beat you by 5 mins? (The 1:03 guys) /woa

#8387682 - 10/03/15 04:41 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: stickaz_old]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

No meb, just Jordan and another kenyan who ended up winning.

#8387694 - 10/03/15 04:59 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Holy chit dude

#8387748 - 10/03/15 05:52 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: stickaz_old]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

It's not cause I was killing it, I think he probably just gave up at some point.

#8388508 - 10/04/15 04:02 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

old-guy podiumed today \:o [3rd in AG of 113, 24th overall of like 1612 hahah] --yes field was slow as fuck \:D [yes I scouted the last years and new I had a shot at a podium so I did my best and even warmed up and everything lol]

until the hill, I was on a solid PR, thats a decent cry-worthy hill [to me], I dealt with it ok tho. not quite a 5K PR but GAP adjusted [7:04 pace] it is

I was pretty stoked to see mile 2 go by under 14:00 and I was feeling fine, but I knew I had the hill to worry about. Yes I will be mounting this plaque in my office haha

#8388579 - 10/04/15 06:21 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: stickaz_old]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Edmonton
Hockey started last night. I was the only one in decent shape so I pretty much played 80% of the game. Fuck I'm sore in weird places.

#8388829 - 10/04/15 09:33 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Impulsive]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Nice job Stickaz!

So my my father in law passed away on Friday morning, so obviously running took a backseat to my running, but I was able to do a couple of late night runs that felt great and were really therapeutic too. 51 miles, quite a few shy of my baseline goal of 60-65, but Im feeling extremely fit so I'm not too worried.

RIP Don!

#8394366 - 10/08/15 09:32 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Edmonton
Sorry about the FIL \:\( IIRC, you were pretty close with in-laws.

On the fitness/injury front, my achillis area is very sore. The tendon feels ok, but any pressure on my heel hurts like mad. Knees are also very sore from hockey.

#8399905 - 10/13/15 11:31 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Impulsive]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

So I guess I'll update here or start a separate thread about my marathon training. LA Marathon is Valentine's Day and we've already started our 8-10 mile long runs. My training will be focused more on quality over quantity:

- Monday: Interval or hill training
- Tuesday: Strength
- Wednesday: Tempo or repeats
- Thursday: Strength
- Friday: Medium run at race pace
- Saturday: Long run at race pace
- Sunday: Rest or light cross-training

Like most, I tend to blow up around mile 18-20. Hoping the Fri/Sat back-to-back runs will help. Open to opinions!
89 Camaro - Sold

#8400148 - 10/13/15 01:17 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Design]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

sweet. I'm currently debating whether or not I do a marathon next year lol. Looking at July for the SF marathon [wee hills] if I do so. I'd be targetting 4:10 or so most likely, if not 4:20 hehe. 4:20:00 actually would be kinda funny to hit precisely [420, hehe...]

honestly I'm more interested in trying to be fast at this point I recently discovered. I know they kinda blur together but I gotta admit pounding out those miles past 18 or whatever in a training run strike me as highly no bueno. I'm trying to have fun here lol

eg I'd like to focus on 5k "speed" lol 21 minutes and then maybe put together a decent [to me] half before I worry about a marathon...

#8406577 - 10/18/15 09:15 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: stickaz_old]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

You might surprise yourself. For me it was just the challenge of being able to do it. The running group this time around is making it a lot more rewarding. That said, sticking with a single distance/time goal is probably a good idea. \:D

Training called for an 8 miler this weekend. Decided to do 12 in preparation for the LA Half next week. Going to do another 6 miler tomorrow and Weds. Some strength Tues and Thurs. Then take it easy Fri-Sat. Haven't done long distance training for a while. But I'm happy with this past Saturday's results.

89 Camaro - Sold

#8406688 - 10/18/15 11:50 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Design]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Nice job Kent! I bet you'll PR the hell out of LA.

Managed to put my head down and crank out my biggest week of training this year. Less than 2 weeks to go till Javelina, and I'm pretty excited for it. Should be a completely different experience than Leadville, but hopefully just as amazing. Ultrasignup has me predicted with a 20:55 finish. :scary: 3 hours for each 15 mile loop is roughly 12 mpm pace and would give me 2 hours for the last 9 miles. In my head that's totally doable, but a lot can happen in a hundo. \:D I really just like the idea of finishing before the second sunrise.

#8406980 - 10/19/15 11:11 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

I have no doubt you'll do great man. Impressive mileage.
89 Camaro - Sold

#8407042 - 10/19/15 12:08 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Nice job Kent! I bet you'll PR the hell out of LA.

Managed to put my head down and crank out my biggest week of training this year. Less than 2 weeks to go till Javelina, and I'm pretty excited for it. Should be a completely different experience than Leadville, but hopefully just as amazing. Ultrasignup has me predicted with a 20:55 finish. :scary: 3 hours for each 15 mile loop is roughly 12 mpm pace and would give me 2 hours for the last 9 miles. In my head that's totally doable, but a lot can happen in a hundo. \:D I really just like the idea of finishing before the second sunrise.

I think you're running more most weeks than I cycle, jackass

Page 120 of 148 « First<118119120121122>Last »

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads