Page 5 of 35 « First<34567>Last »
Topic Options
#4082769 - 09/16/09 11:52 AM Re: CrossFit [Re: LNXGUY]
NateD Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Atlanta, GA
 Originally Posted By: LNXGUY
There is a Crossfit facility in Barrie, I think I might check it out.. Monthly fee's are $100CAD (Classes 3 times a week)

I definitely need the motivation (some asshole yelling at me, etc)

Try it man. As someone with a bodybuilding background I think you will love it. If you do get into it I'd recommend going more than 3x a week.

I did "Diane" on Sunday, it's one of my favorite workouts. 225lb Deadlift/handstand pushups, 21-15-9. Killed my previous PR of 13:30 and got 8:50 rx. I rocked those HSPUs

#4089132 - 09/17/09 11:48 PM Re: CrossFit [Re: NateD]
ElementBabe Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: EST
did my own modified crossfit style workout today..

5 rounds for time of..

20 Pullups (strict)
30 Pushups
40 Situps

Rest 3 minutes after each round

Hit 18 pullups on the first set, a PR. The pushup portion was too easy so I tacked on 50 more at the end.

Tomorrow's workout at the local box looks pretty tedious. Warmup of 50 double-unders, WOD is 100 burpee broad jumps

#4089950 - 09/18/09 10:16 AM Re: CrossFit [Re: ElementBabe]
NateD Offline
Post Master Supreme

Why not just do Barbara? Almost the same thing, just with squats thrown in \:\)

I am still awful at double unders. Have fun with those burpees, lol. One time I did the 100 burpees for time workout, worst ten minutes evAr.

#4090066 - 09/18/09 10:43 AM Re: CrossFit [Re: NateD]
ElementBabe Offline
Post Master Supreme

im not at the point yet where i can do similar things on consecutive days. like a few days ago at the box, it was heavy squats 3-3-3-3-3, then the next day was the 300 workout. my ass would have been too sore to do the deadlifts.

i've gotten a lot better at double unders, but i still have to do 1 or 2 singles inbetween each DU. its all timing though, once you get it down you barely have to jump any higher than you do for a single jump so its not as exhausting

#4092855 - 09/19/09 03:51 PM Re: CrossFit [Re: ElementBabe]
NateD Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: antness
im not at the point yet where i can do similar things on consecutive days. like a few days ago at the box, it was heavy squats 3-3-3-3-3, then the next day was the 300 workout. my ass would have been too sore to do the deadlifts.

Stuff like that is why I don't trust affiliate programming as much as the main site's. The main site doesn't do stuff like that; it's almost always spread out in a manner to where you're not doing similar stuff one day to the next for each three day cycle. Sometimes there is added emphasis on a particular part of your body, but nothing that most people couldn't handle. Doing heavy squats and then the 300 workout the very next day just smacks of poorly thought out programming to me. It's sloppy.

#4092902 - 09/19/09 04:13 PM Re: CrossFit [Re: NateD]
ElementBabe Offline
Post Master Supreme

i think the affiliates might be afraid people wont feel they're getting their money's worth if the workouts are the 'free' ones from the main site.

yesterday i did..

tabata intervals of:
push press
deadlifts

then 50 burpee broad jumps

today i did the box workout, which was 40-30-20-10 of:
- walking lunges (10kg overhead)
- air squats
- calories on rowing machine
i had to hold onto the railing walking down stairs after this one

#4096396 - 09/21/09 07:54 AM Re: CrossFit [Re: ElementBabe]
NateD Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: antness
i think the affiliates might be afraid people wont feel they're getting their money's worth if the workouts are the 'free' ones from the main site.

Yeah, but almost all the affiliates post their workouts publicly. It's part of the open-source nature of Crossfit. You're paying for the training, not the programming. I think most people just don't realize that HQ programming is better. But that is just my opinion.

I did GHD situps/back extensions on Friday and my core is still sore. It hurts to sneeze!

#4097491 - 09/21/09 01:10 PM Re: CrossFit [Re: NateD]
ElementBabe Offline
Post Master Supreme

this what you did? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxGYLxIYxRg

i'll have to check and see if the box has that

yesterday, did Annie for the 2nd time, first time was a month ago. Think my time then was 13:25, this time it was 11:50, so double unders getting much easier. i got the first set of 50 unbroken with a single hop between each one

#4102401 - 09/22/09 04:44 PM Re: CrossFit [Re: NateD]
lunchbox Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Detroit
 Originally Posted By: NateD Z24

I did GHD situps/back extensions on Friday and my core is still sore. It hurts to sneeze!

Seriously, fuck the GHD... Fuck it up its stupid ass!

actually I am just starting my fourth week and I am still loving it.

I pay my affiliate for his experience and training. My olympic lifts are shit and he has spent a lot of time helping me nail the forms. He is also starting to help me with some nutritional advice as well.

#4103753 - 09/23/09 12:07 AM Re: CrossFit [Re: lunchbox]
Andrew Mitchell Offline

Loc: The Bayou City
Nice dude, good to hear you're enjoying it. You've made it this far, you're hooked. Hold on, it just keeps getting better. Not easier. Just better.

As for todays wod, we did:

box jump burpees..... sit ups
20......................... 5
15......................... 10
10......................... 15
5......................... 20

did that in 4:50, it was a mind fuck big time. Your body just says, no more half way through, and fighting through that was tough. It doesn't sound bad, but it was.

Oh and we did "daniel" yesterday. My time was 20 seconds slower than when I did it a month ago, which i'm chalking up to horrible wedding diet/gf's family visit diet/ and too much beer. I also wasn't completely there mentally. Still eeeked out a 20:51, which isn't horrible...i guess

I signed up for my first competition for october 10th. The mens standard weights are 135 and 155. I was thinking about doing the scaled weights which are 95 and 105, but i never scale at my affiliate, so why do it for the comp..Who knows what movements those will be for. My guess is thrusters at 135, 155 might be hanging power cleans, or squat cleans, maybe clean and jerk, there's a small chance 135 might be overhead squats, i fucking hope not. I'm stoked for the comp though!! WOO!

#4104000 - 09/23/09 06:58 AM Re: CrossFit [Re: Andrew Mitchell]
NateD Offline
Post Master Supreme

Quote:
this what you did? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxGYLxIYxRg

i'll have to check and see if the box has that

Yeah those are GHDs. I didn't do that particular workout, the one I did was 5 rounds of 30 GHDs/25 back extensions. Talk about ripping your core to pieces.

Quote:
Oh and we did "daniel" yesterday. My time was 20 seconds slower than when I did it a month ago, which i'm chalking up to horrible wedding diet/gf's family visit diet/ and too much beer. I also wasn't completely there mentally. Still eeeked out a 20:51, which isn't horrible...i guess

Way better than me, it took me 29 minutes. I really had a tough time mentally too. I ripped through the pullups at the beginning but was gassed on the runs big time. I was faster than everyone on the lifts but I was so slow on the running parts that I finished last.

Competitions are fun, I did one back in May that was basically a relay for life fundraiser. What kind is the one you're going to? I was a nervous nelly for a whole week about it for some unknown reason, but I'm glad I did it. I dragged my wife along with me so she could take pictures and that was a bad idea, now she's convinced that it's a cult.

I doubt they'd do 135 for overhead squats or even thrusters; that's a little too much for pretty much everyone excluding firebreathers. More likely that it's C&J or cleans as you said.

#4110348 - 09/24/09 09:05 PM Re: CrossFit [Re: NateD]
Andrew Mitchell Offline

Did Fran today for the 2nd time. Last time was 2 months into starting CrossFit and it was an embarrassing 12:45 of suck. Today was 3 months after that first attempt and I did it in 4:51. I'm fucking stoaked with that time!

Yeah I'm looking forward to the comp. We're also doing a small in-house comp the weekend before with some prizes and stuff, nothing crazy, so that will be a nice prep.

The comp is basically all the affiliates in Houston, 80 participants. Only the top 10 make it to the 2nd WOD. It's a $30 fee to participate, so there's a nice little prize for 1st-3rd place in the 4 different categories. Men's RXd and scaled and Women's RXd and scaled. Here is the link to the affiliate hosting the comp. http://www.crossfitchampions.com/archives/1937

#4111238 - 09/25/09 07:50 AM Re: CrossFit [Re: Andrew Mitchell]
lunchbox Offline
Post Master Supreme

tomorrow is my first fight gone bad. Got in to the gym today and looked at the WOD and thought it was a little light, now I know why. I'm pumped.

for you guys that have done this a while, did you/do you lose much weight? While I can see a difference in my chest, arms, shoulders, I don't see a difference on the scale. Still right around 180lbs. I have spent this week really working on my diet, so we will see what happens.

Edited by lunchbox (09/25/09 07:52 AM)

#4111328 - 09/25/09 08:18 AM Re: CrossFit [Re: lunchbox]
NateD Offline
Post Master Supreme

When I started I was out of shape and had gotten up to around 185, which is kinda chunky for my frame since I am 5'10". Now I'm back down to 165 and fairly jacked for my frame (which isn't really saying much, but I have never been a big dude.)

Initially I lost a lot of fat and gained muscle at the same time so there wasn't a lot of movement on the scale. I've gradually gotten leaner and leaner (because I was watching what I ate too) but now I am at the point where I am going to start making sacrifices if I want to get that six pack.

#4114479 - 09/26/09 09:32 AM Re: CrossFit [Re: NateD]
lunchbox Offline
Post Master Supreme

FGB today, 236*

*the row machine's strap broke just before I got to use it on my first round so I had to go back at the end and do one round of row to make up for missing my first turn.

#4114488 - 09/26/09 09:40 AM Re: CrossFit [Re: lunchbox]
ElementBabe Offline
Post Master Supreme

on the way to do the same one..
#4116454 - 09/27/09 07:52 AM Re: CrossFit [Re: ElementBabe]
Andrew Mitchell Offline

FGB IV - 331

#4116485 - 09/27/09 08:35 AM Re: CrossFit [Re: Andrew Mitchell]
Silock Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Jayhawk Country
I'm going to try and do a couple of these per week in the offseason. I've just got to talk to the local Crossfit gym and see if they have any reasonable plans. I'm already paying $20/mo for my other gym, and I don't want to give up the things it offers.
#4118413 - 09/28/09 07:40 AM Re: CrossFit [Re: Silock]
NateD Offline
Post Master Supreme

Quote:
I'm going to try and do a couple of these per week in the offseason. I've just got to talk to the local Crossfit gym and see if they have any reasonable plans. I'm already paying $20/mo for my other gym, and I don't want to give up the things it offers.

Cool dude. As a soccer player I think you could really benefit from this type of training. Most affiliates do have less expensive plans where you go less times per week so hopefully one of them will have something that fits for you. It'll definitely be worth it especially if you are not familiar with doing olympic lifts on your own.

Also you'll be able to learn how to do a muscle up

I was looking on the main site today and it looks like there is a certifcation in Atlanta in February. I think I am going to bite the bullet and do it, since I'd be able to work at any affiliate I want if I ever want to make some extra money.

#4119026 - 09/28/09 11:13 AM Re: CrossFit [Re: NateD]
Silock Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Jayhawk Country
Heh, I can DO a muscleup, just not 27 in a row!
#4120522 - 09/28/09 08:14 PM Re: CrossFit [Re: Silock]
ElementBabe Offline
Post Master Supreme

today's box wod...

deadlifts 5 sets / 3 reps. worked up to 200, dont know how many reps i could have done but well over 3. didn't want to do too much since that's still the most i've ever tried. 300 for 3 reps is probably where i should be right now.

WOD was 30 thrusters / 40 pullups / 50 double unders. did 67# thrusters and strict pullups, finished in 6:49

#4120539 - 09/28/09 08:20 PM Re: CrossFit [Re: Silock]
ElementBabe Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Silock

i'm already paying $100/mo for my regular gym membership, so i didn't have any sticker shock when i saw the crossfit rates. i had never gotten any training to do deadlifts, cleans, or any other olympic lifts. the regular gym would charge $60/hour for trainers and they probably wouldn't do most of those lifts. when you go into crossfit, for any strength training you have someone watching your form and spotting. fortunately, i've only received good advice so far although i am weary of their low requirements to become certified. they also help motivate you to push yourself in the workouts. i'm paying an intro rate which got me 3 foundations classes + 6 months unlimited for $550. Going everyday, that's $3 per session which average about 30 minutes. It's a bargain really

#4122195 - 09/29/09 11:30 AM Re: CrossFit [Re: ElementBabe]
NateD Offline
Post Master Supreme

Well I guess I'll find out firsthand about people's criticisms of the certification process, since I just signed up for a Level I seminar in Atlanta for February. It's a fucking shitload of money, but I'll be able to be a trainer at my gym and at the very least work enough to where it will pay for my membership fees. Plus I've always wanted a side job and I think this is something I will be good at.
#4122230 - 09/29/09 11:39 AM Re: CrossFit [Re: NateD]
Andrew Mitchell Offline

Nice! There is always differing stories of the certs. About 6 or 7 people at my gym went and they all had positive stuff to say, I don't know how much it helped their knowledge because I'm not sure how much they knew prior, but they all seem to be pretty good coaches now.. I'm going the first week in Nov. to a L1 in Dallas, and then my gym is hosting a kettle bell cert in Dec. that I'm going to attend.

Did you participate in Fight Gone Bad this weekend? Our gym raised about $6k which isn't bad for it being their first year to participate as an affiliate I think.

I realized yesterday how weak my core/abs are when we did a workout with squat cleans and sit ups, and it took me a good amount longer than someone I've been beating consistently, and it wasn't because of the squat cleans. I just get that awful muscle burn and it's almost impossible to breathe cause my stomach is so tight and sore during the damn sit ups that I need to stop...

#4122350 - 09/29/09 12:10 PM Re: CrossFit [Re: Andrew Mitchell]
NateD Offline
Post Master Supreme

Yeah I haven't heard anyone that's actually been to one say anything negative about it. But then again I guess if you're coughing up a thousand bucks to go then you're already drinking the koolaid.

I was busy this past weekend so no FGB, but my gym did participate. Not sure how much money we raised.
 Quote:
I realized yesterday how weak my core/abs are when we did a workout with squat cleans and sit ups, and it took me a good amount longer than someone I've been beating consistently, and it wasn't because of the squat cleans.

You talking about the GHD situps/135lb squat cleans workout that was posted on Friday? It's a doozy for sure. I think GHD situps are tough for most people, but I have to say that my body is definitely getting adjusted to them because I didn't get very sore from them this time. I feel like my core is weak too, but it's getting better.

#4125402 - 09/30/09 11:46 AM Re: CrossFit [Re: NateD]
Andrew Mitchell Offline

No I'm actually just talking about ab mat sit ups haha, the coach at our gym doesn't want people going crazy on the GHD until they're capable of doing so without giving themselves rhabdo, so he has it put away for a while I guess...

Yesterday we did "Angie" because our abs didn't get enough from the day before or anything!!

100 pull ups
100 push ups
100 sit ups
100 air squats

The abs again were the worst part of this, fuckin weak core! It took me 20:54 to finish, and I probably spent the majority of that on sit ups. Only had one callus rip too, on my pinkie which is sort of strange but I've ripped there a few times on my right hand, so I gotta figure out what I'm doing wrong there. I probably did 25-30/100 pull ups butterfly instead of regular kip. I just need to work on the rhythm of those, sometimes i nail it, other times I'm way off and i just flounder around on the pull up bar.

#4125452 - 09/30/09 12:12 PM Re: CrossFit [Re: Andrew Mitchell]
NateD Offline
Post Master Supreme

Yeah, the first time I did GHDs I overdid them and had difficulty standing for a solid week. It was pretty bad. You definitely have to work up to using it, especially since whenever they post a workout involving them it usually entails around 150.

I did Angie on Monday. This is one that's really easy to underestimate, my arms turned into putty on the pushup part. Situps were ok but not as fast as I would have liked. Took me 24 minutes and change though, so I guess slow by your standards ;\)

I did Helen this morning in 12:19 rx, beat my previous PR by 3 minutes. I was so close to getting sub 12 but my grip just couldn't handle the last round of pullups.

#4126776 - 09/30/09 08:51 PM Re: CrossFit [Re: NateD]
ElementBabe Offline
Post Master Supreme

how long did it take you guys to get good at overhead squats? gotta be the hardest movement for me right now. i have flexibility issues at the bottom of the squat, and have trouble keeping my elbows locked or preventing the bar from coming forward. i'm just doing the bar right now. feels like there are muscles in my mid-back that im working for the first time ever
#4127600 - 10/01/09 07:32 AM Re: CrossFit [Re: ElementBabe]
NateD Offline
Post Master Supreme

I learned with a PVC pipe, might be a little easier for you than a bar. I think it's mostly just a matter of remembering to stay on your heels and stick your ass out. Also when you are locked out you want to be actively pulling on either side of the bar like you're trying to pull it apart, as well shrug your shoulders to the top (as in trying to get your traps to your ears). Doing them even a little incorrectly can do all sorts of weird things, for instance my fingers on my left hand always have the pins and needles if I do a lot of them. And be careful too, you can really hurt your rotator cuff.

They're definitely hard, but once you figure them out you've also pretty much figured out the snatch.

#4131613 - 10/02/09 01:17 PM Re: CrossFit [Re: NateD]
lunchbox Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: NateD Z24
Also when you are locked out you want to be actively pulling on either side of the bar like you're trying to pull it apart

I am still working on mine, but when I figured this out it really helped with keeping my arms locked and back straight

#4131642 - 10/02/09 01:26 PM Re: CrossFit [Re: lunchbox]
ElementBabe Offline
Post Master Supreme

^ same, that helps. it really is tiring on my traps which i thought were plenty strong. also i wasn't using a wide enough grip

today's WOD was Elizabeth, 21-15-9 of power cleans (135/95#) and ring dips. first time doing power cleans, i used the girl weight. did the clean sets unbroken, got 20/21 on the first set of dips, so close. finished in 7:29

#4132292 - 10/02/09 05:54 PM Re: CrossFit [Re: NateD]
Andrew Mitchell Offline

Haha hardly slow by my standards, hell i'm just starting to break into decent times!

OHS is tough, and like NateD said, just be sure to keep your shoulders shrugged, I like to think, ear muffs or active shoulders. As far as staying on your heels and keeping your knees tracking behind your toes, best thing is to think of is a string pulling your hips back and down vs. just squatting. These are things that have helped me and some ques that i've seen work that my coach uses.

#4136801 - 10/05/09 07:10 AM Re: CrossFit [Re: Andrew Mitchell]
NateD Offline
Post Master Supreme

Speaking of tough exercises, anyone done the 30 muscle up workout yet? I've been waiting for that one to be posted ever since I learned how to do them. I was slow as shit but I finished, 23:57. \:D

Pretty proud of that, since muscle ups are something that the vast majority of people can't do.

#4137138 - 10/05/09 10:03 AM Re: CrossFit [Re: NateD]
Andrew Mitchell Offline

That's fucking awesome bro, the muscle up has been very elusive for me. Does it shred your shoulders pretty bad? I can do pull ups on the rings, and ring dips no problem, but I haven't been able to get the transition, I also haven't had rings to practice on since our affiliate has been having some issues with the city and had to move back to the 1st location until its cleared up, low ceilings = no muscle ups...

I'm confident that given some time to practice and learn the transition I could do them though.

Again, fuckin' awesome job!

#4137201 - 10/05/09 10:25 AM Re: CrossFit [Re: Andrew Mitchell]
NateD Offline
Post Master Supreme

Yeah, sounds like you just need to practice. Once I was pumping out ring dips I knew I was ready, just had to learn it. You just gotta make sure your false grip is good, cause when I was first learning I would start with a false grip and then lose it.

The transition part is definitely the toughest. I failed on a few reps this morning cause I didn't keep my arms tucked close to my body: if they're not right next to your waist then you're finished. The thing that really made it click for me was realizing that you're really just trying to go "through the window" rather than up. That, and a lot of jumping muscle ups. Jumping muscle ups will help you learn the transition of turning your hands around once you get above the rings. Once you can do those easily, it's really just a matter of time and practice.

edit: Nothing really feels shredded right now but I guess I'll find out later if I get sore \:\)

Edited by NateD Z24 (10/05/09 10:27 AM)

Page 5 of 35 « First<34567>Last »

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads