Page 3 of 3 <123
Topic Options
#6830817 - 01/14/13 02:15 PM Re: Marathon training [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Ionfyst Offline
Blackhawks 4 Lyfe!
Post Master Sr

Loc: Massachusetts
My buddy just did that this weekend as well. His wife was signed up for the half on Saturday and made him do that too. I haven't talked to him but I bet he's hurting bad today.
#6831112 - 01/14/13 04:02 PM Re: Marathon training [Re: Ionfyst]
MonkeyStillAlive Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Sunny FL
 Originally Posted By: Ionfyst
My buddy just did that this weekend as well. His wife was signed up for the half on Saturday and made him do that too. I haven't talked to him but I bet he's hurting bad today.

They said that 10,000 people did the Goofy, the half marathon and the full. I'm thinking of doing it next year.

#6849033 - 01/22/13 09:54 AM Re: Marathon training [Re: MonkeyStillAlive]
Cheesegoggles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Here
So I did run the marathon (most of it anyway) but was not super happy with my time. Good job to Monkeydias on finishing with his time!

I started running into problems about five or six weeks out. During the 18 mile run, I started to have pain in both my right ankle and my right hamstring at about 10-11 miles. Enough that I didn't really have much ability to push off and both my form and pace deteriorated as time went on. So I called it quits after trying to push through for a couple more miles. I took about a week and a half off, ran a couple of short runs, but the same thing happened again about 10 miles into the 20 mile run and I shut it down. Going into the marathon I took two and a half weeks off and then did two short runs on the treadmill on Wednesday and Thursday before the Sunday marathon.

While I was a little worried about how I would fare, things went reasonably well for a while. Through 16 miles we were on pace for about 4:20 with the 4:30 pace group several minutes behind us. During the 17th mile, I noticed my right insole had moved to the outside and the inside edge was under the middle of my big toe - it was not comfortable and it recurred a few times before the end.

I ran 21 plus miles before I had to shut it down. The right hamstring and ankle hurt again (I had taken some Alleve before the run). And I had nutrition issues. Left instep area started to hurt too. Oh yeah, it was also fucking hot. There were a couple of short but steep inclines around miles 22 and 23 where I just didn't have it. The 4:30 group had passed us but was still in site when I told my wife she should go chase them down. I walked most of the last five miles and ran through the finish as I gave Donald Duck a high five.

My wife ran down the 4:30 pace group and finished ahead of them. The course was great - mostly flat and never totally boring for any long stretch.

I'm glad I did it, but not sure I want to do it again. Training turned something fun to do into work. I could be happy just to stick to half marathons and shorter from here on out.

#6849289 - 01/22/13 11:50 AM Re: Marathon training [Re: Cheesegoggles]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
Way to stick it out on a tough day!

#6851666 - 01/23/13 12:11 PM Re: Marathon training [Re: Cheesegoggles]
micah Offline
Tight Knit Marriage
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Columbia, SC
Nice work! I walked a lot in my first marathon too. Agree about the training, although honestly I got the itch to do the next one after several more months. Trained up from normal running shape to marathon in about 8 weeks (long run of 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, and 20, with a couple of lost weeks to sickness/worn out).

Really drives it home, if you didn't believe it before: the marathon starts at mile 20.

#6851869 - 01/23/13 01:09 PM Re: Marathon training [Re: micah]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
And again at 21, 22, 23, etc.

I'm hoping my three 20 milers in the last 6 weeks will help with that though.

#6854610 - 01/24/13 03:21 PM Re: Marathon training [Re: micah]
MonkeyStillAlive Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Sunny FL
 Originally Posted By: micah
Nice work! I walked a lot in my first marathon too. Agree about the training, although honestly I got the itch to do the next one after several more months. Trained up from normal running shape to marathon in about 8 weeks (long run of 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, and 20, with a couple of lost weeks to sickness/worn out).

Really drives it home, if you didn't believe it before: the marathon starts at mile 20.

It really hit me at 18. I had to do a lot of walking after that.

Page 3 of 3 <123

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads