Page 2 of 9 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#6590655 - 09/16/12 08:16 PM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: ReplicaR]
UglyValiant Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Milwaukee, WI
I've never been a big fan of the locking fastners for the headers. I use the red-loctite for best results.

Sure, the bolt diameter is too small for loctite to work it's best, but it's still pretty effective. It's just that the locking fasters tend to have too large a head, so it can be hard to effectively get a socket on there for torquing the shit out of it. Sure, those have the allen wrench fitting, but again, can't get too much torque through that either...

What will you use for gaskets? soft aluminum or copper? Straight RTV? Composite? Mix of all?
1989 Shelby CSX (#500/500)
The most powerful production minivan money can buy.

Videos
#6590700 - 09/16/12 08:38 PM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: UglyValiant]
ReplicaR Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: E.E.B.
Cometic MLS for head gasket. OEM for everything else. I've got a set of copper header gaskets that I've had for years, maybe I'll use those. I'll talk to the engine builder. I'm using stage 8 stuff because I've heard that BBK headers tend to loosen the bolts up. I really don't like how stiff the e clip is on those.

Acceleration.... \:\( -------+-- \:\)
Handling......... \:\( -------+-- \:\)
Speed............ \:\( ------+--- \:\)

#6592173 - 09/17/12 02:12 PM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: ReplicaR]
hustler Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Seattle, WA
yeah headers can be a pain in the ass, I use a combination of 12 point and allen head bolts with an allen wrench I had cutoff so it would fit around the short turn tubes. Made life a lot easier. I ran copper head gaskets on my old motor and they held up fine with running a small batch of alumaseal into the coolant. After I blew the original head gaskets on my original semi stock longblock while tuning with too much timing likely, I went to MLS and so far it has held. Personally i liked the idea of the composite gasket acting as a fuse for detonation, but a buddy who went through multiple composites talked me into the MLS along with studs. Probably more imperative on a blown application with the studs to prevent the heads from lifting under boost, but the MLS will work well especially since you are assembling with freshly cut heads and deck giving you the surface finish required for MLS gaskets. I just scraped the deck with razor blades and it seems to be holding up.
#6605990 - 09/23/12 10:28 PM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: hustler]
beerslurpy Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Spring Hill, FL
If you don't mind me asking, why no forced induction? I ask because I'm thinking my next project car should be powered by a turbocharged 302.

#6606073 - 09/23/12 11:03 PM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: beerslurpy]
ReplicaR Offline
Post Master Sr

Less heat, less weight, less parts to break, and I don't like turbo cars.

#6608559 - 09/25/12 12:28 AM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: ReplicaR]
ReplicaR Offline
Post Master Sr

Droppped the car off at the shop. No turning back now

#6610092 - 09/25/12 07:08 PM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: ReplicaR]
hustler Offline
Post Master Sr

Awesome, it will be a different car when you get it back.
#6610132 - 09/25/12 07:34 PM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: hustler]
ReplicaR Offline
Post Master Sr

Yesterday I couldn't really sleep. I kept tossing and turning, pondering if I have ruined my car, what if the cam was too big, what if it will get on my nerves by being too much to deal with in traffic. Don't forget, I've ruined a car before with bad engine work on a small budget. This time things are a little different. I'm having a shop do this, which is immaculate with their work, fit and finish. I've spent a very significant amount on parts. All I have to do now is wait. I'm still hoping to see at least 350whp

#6610510 - 09/25/12 10:42 PM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: ReplicaR]
UglyValiant Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: ReplicaR
Yesterday I couldn't really sleep. I kept tossing and turning, pondering if I have ruined my car, what if the cam was too big, what if it will get on my nerves by being too much to deal with in traffic.
meh...looking over the parts, nothing you've got is *really radical* so I wouldn't worry too much. Is the cam big? Yep! But being designed for fuel injection, and having aforementioned Fuel injection as well as extra cubic inches really will obviate your concerns.

-it'll start good.
-it'll run good
-extra cubic inches (heck, even stock cubed), you'll have more than enough low-end for satisfying driving.
-fuel injection will help it run pretty well at low rpm's, even *if* the cam is "too big".

It's not like you're running an AFR 225 headed 302 with a 250 @ .050 cam with narrow 106 LSA, big headers, and an auto transmission.

Say you're cam is "too big" though...swapping 'em isn't the end of the world; or you could use it as an excuse to up the gears (though, not a huge fan of that, since THAT is what makes a car seem less streetable to me). With the deep OD of your car though, hwy cruising would still be fine, and city driving may become easier with shorter gears.

But, it appears to me that this is a good balanced engine that will sacrifice a little low-end that the extra cubes will help considerably (so loss of low-end should really be minimal), that will have a very strong mid/upper ranges and pull much longer than you can imagine...

#6614282 - 09/27/12 01:55 PM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: UglyValiant]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Nor Cal, Hella hurr durr
awesome, I've been talking about building a 351w based replacement for my 93 but am no further along than I was ~10 years ago. lol.

still have a '69 K code 351w block though, and stock internals that need to be thrown out \:\)

good luck with the build OP

#6617140 - 09/28/12 03:29 PM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: ReplicaR]
SpcNA[ZX] Offline
Sr Member

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
 Originally Posted By: ReplicaR
I'm using stage 8 stuff because I've heard that BBK headers tend to loosen the bolts up. I really don't like how stiff the e clip is on those.

May I suggest a set of these for your header bolts?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgwmuZuJ02I

I use them on my intake bolts, exhaust studs, flywheel bolts..... Essentially everything I never want to come undone and they work awesome; I put them on ANYTHING that I don't want to come loose and have replaced almost every lockwasher on the car with them.

Edited by SpcNA[ZX] (09/28/12 03:30 PM)

#6617472 - 09/28/12 07:19 PM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: SpcNA[ZX]]
ReplicaR Offline
Post Master Sr

Looks like an interesting system. Where does one purchase something like that?

#6620741 - 10/01/12 11:39 AM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: ReplicaR]
hustler Offline
Post Master Sr

Hows the progress going?
#6620871 - 10/01/12 12:24 PM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: hustler]
ReplicaR Offline
Post Master Sr

The shop is starting on it today. ET completion is two weeks. Meanwhile I'm driving shop loaner, which is an all manual yellow Focus... with hood pins.

#6622079 - 10/01/12 08:21 PM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: ReplicaR]
SpcNA[ZX] Offline
Sr Member

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
They're badass, I talked to their motorsports guy and he said

1. Safe to use on my flywheel bolts.

2. He'd pay for any damage if said flywheel bolts backed out while using their nordlocks.

Where to purchase? Got me brother I special ordered them through the local fastenal store, it took about a week but they all showed. Zinc plated steel for the flywheel and some sort of stainless for the intake/exhaust/anywhere people could see. Simply replace whatever lockwasher was going to be on there with these, torque em down and forget it.

Seriously, these things are badass.

Edited by SpcNA[ZX] (10/01/12 08:30 PM)

#6635266 - 10/08/12 06:20 PM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: SpcNA[ZX]]
ReplicaR Offline
Post Master Sr

More pictures with more stuff.

Here is the old engine. Goodbye old friend, you've served me well.

Now, something seems to be missing here. Where did I put this thing?

Oh yeah, here it is \:\)

Close up shot of the valve train.

As of right now, the build is slightly behind schedule. The plan is to have the motor in the car on friday, and finally fire it up monday. Tuned and delivered should be end of next week.

#6635297 - 10/08/12 06:36 PM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: ReplicaR]
madmatt Offline
Post Master Supreme

yesssss
#6636170 - 10/09/12 08:01 AM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: madmatt]
UglyValiant Offline
Post Master Sr

Can't wait for this to be ready!

#6636370 - 10/09/12 09:31 AM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: UglyValiant]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Edmonton
Same here. While I'm hardly a big Mustang/Modding guy anymore, I'd still love to do a Mustang build. I was hoping to get a 3 car garage to have a project, but no such luck.

#6636485 - 10/09/12 10:16 AM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: Impulsive]
UglyValiant Offline
Post Master Sr

To me it's strikes me as terrific that the chassis of this particular car has been so thoroughly gone through and modified to the owner's personal taste; in many respects, it almost seemed as if the engine was the lagging feature, if anything, on this car...odd given that when new, it was certainly one of the most important, if not the key feature of this era mustang.

That it will hit the road with such a well-thought out engine, high performance yet tractable, will in my mind make it like a new car to the owner almost...it's amazing what a thoroughly revamped engine can do for a vehicle, especially when so far from stock.

#6657807 - 10/19/12 11:25 AM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: UglyValiant]
hustler Offline
Post Master Sr

car done yet? \:\)
#6657893 - 10/19/12 11:48 AM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: hustler]
ReplicaR Offline
Post Master Sr

Nope. Gonna call the shop today to see where they are at. Last I've checked, they broke heater core trying to pull the hose off it, and the Innovators West balancer did not line up with the other accessories.

#6657913 - 10/19/12 11:54 AM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: ReplicaR]
madmatt Offline
Post Master Supreme

Make THEM replace that heater core, for the love of God do not assume its an easy task...
#6658497 - 10/19/12 03:54 PM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: madmatt]
ReplicaR Offline
Post Master Sr

I've changed it myself about two years back. Took me 11 hours by myself, but I was also changing the AC condenser at the same time. I remember how much fun it was. Yeah, they are going to replace it.

Bit of an update. They finished cleaning the engine bay, so the motor should be in the car this by the end of the day. From there on they will cut 1 inch from exhaust, because engine is set back an inch, move the battery in the trunk, replace fuel pump, install gauges and dimmer switch, install larger fan, move the overflow bottle to the side where the battery used to be, clean the whole mess up, and give it a small tune to make it driveable. Then I will drive it for couple of weeks breaking it in, and give it back for a tune.

#6659053 - 10/19/12 09:39 PM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: ReplicaR]
ReplicaR Offline
Post Master Sr

Couple of more images.

Clean engine bay

Fully dressed engine.

The images are small, they were taken by someone else.

#6669568 - 10/24/12 06:16 PM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: ReplicaR]
ReplicaR Offline
Post Master Sr

Motor is in the car, and set back an inch as off this morning. Probably will get the car back next week, or so I hope. Then break in period, and give it back for tune.

#6678857 - 10/29/12 06:25 PM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: ReplicaR]
PsychoEBPSiR Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Vancity,Canada
Awesome

#6678912 - 10/29/12 06:52 PM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: PsychoEBPSiR]
ReplicaR Offline
Post Master Sr

They almost fired it up friday, but some other stuff got in the way. A lot of custom work being done while the car is there.

#6679844 - 10/30/12 09:38 AM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: ReplicaR]
madmatt Offline
Post Master Supreme

\:D $$$ custom
#6680178 - 10/30/12 11:43 AM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: madmatt]
ReplicaR Offline
Post Master Sr

Car was fired up last night, but did not idle. The shop owner is going to throw a chip in it today, give it a slight tune, check the timing and such, and see how it goes.

#6680688 - 10/30/12 02:55 PM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: ReplicaR]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Edmonton
I'm getting anxious for some vids. three three juan

#6681785 - 10/30/12 11:11 PM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: Impulsive]
ReplicaR Offline
Post Master Sr

I'm getting anxious just to have my damn car back.

#6682034 - 10/31/12 08:03 AM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: ReplicaR]
OnyxEros Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Seattle
I wish you the best of luck and I want it to turn out to be awesome but i personally trust most guys to take as much care assembling as I would/have

I do hope your builder is taking care of you and treating you right and you get a kick ass motor back

#6694824 - 11/06/12 10:25 AM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: OnyxEros]
hustler Offline
Post Master Sr

where we at this week?
#6695299 - 11/06/12 01:08 PM Re: So, I'm finally building an engine... [Re: hustler]
ReplicaR Offline
Post Master Sr

Everything is buttoned up, and it has been fired up, but it keeps cutting out almost immediately after firing up. TPS readings are all out of whack. They are working on it still. I've looked into this issue on my own, and looks like a bad ground.

Page 2 of 9 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  auxilary, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads