Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#5853044 - 10/11/11 12:05 AM Another Progress Thread. (2014 Pic)
H Street NW Offline
TheSavior
Poster

Loc: Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Since I've seen a few posted up today I figured why not join the cool kids club, eh?

Started on 08/07/2011 at 229.5 Lbs. and have cut down to 189.5 Lbs. as of this morning. Things have just started, so I'll just call this thread a placeholder for new and improved pics of the future.

The game plan is another week focusing on cardio and weight loss, and then shifting focus building muscle and while maintaining my current weight and some day down the road seeing bodyfat in the ~10% range. Undoubtedly I've got a long road ahead of me, but the only thing that can hold me back is myself and I have absolutely no anticipation of that being the case.

That said...

More to come in the future!

Oh yeah, and thanks to people who've posted here in the past where I've been able to gather information and shout out to Lewis, as he's been beyond helpful, even if he does enjoy the dick.

12/04/2012: So I'm back to the gym. Over the span of April through September I probably made it to the gym all of 10 times. Back at it in a regular basis now since October and noticing some good progress in my lifts. Going LeanGains 5 days a week and then getting a little sloppy on the weekends for now, but that will change come a few weeks from now when I do some cutting. Anyways, just posting pics as a starting point for round 2 of in shapeness.

Edited by H Street NW (06/13/14 04:38 AM)

#5853053 - 10/11/11 12:13 AM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: H Street NW]
HX_Guy Offline
Please blame any typos on my executive assistant
Post Master Supreme

Damn man...40lbs in 2 months? How in the hell...that's impressive! Congrats.
2022 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate

#5853073 - 10/11/11 12:28 AM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: HX_Guy]
H Street NW Offline
TheSavior
Poster

Thanks! I appreciate it.

So far the key has been a very strict diet and a ton of cardio. On average, I keep it around 1400 calories and no cheat days. As far as what I'm consuming, it's tons of chicken, turkey, tuna, and lean hamburger as well as green vegetable, especially broccoli. On the flip side, I'm avoiding grains by all means necessary and keeping it pretty low on the carbs. Ultimately, following a hybrid of a calorie counting Paleo-centric diet if I had to call it anything.

In the gym it's been cardio, cardio, and more cardio with most weeks consisting of 4 days on and 1 day off. Ideally I'll run on the treadmill unless the shin splints kick in, then it's onto the stationary.

Also, a great food to keep me focused while satisfying the sweet tooth and staying strict on my diet is protein cheesecake. I know it's been listed in a few threads here and Lewis turned me onto it, but it's around 300 calories, 5g carbs, and 50g protein. If you don't have the recipe let me know and I'd be happy to shoot it your way.

#5853112 - 10/11/11 12:54 AM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: H Street NW]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Would like recipe...
#5853118 - 10/11/11 12:56 AM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: ]
Silock Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Jayhawk Country
 Originally Posted By: dirtyS13drifta
Would like recipe...

http://www.criticalbench.com/pdf/top_10_recipes.pdf

#5853303 - 10/11/11 08:36 AM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: HX_Guy]
Lewis Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: IA
 Originally Posted By: HX_Guy
Damn man...40lbs in 2 months? How in the hell...that's impressive! Congrats.

BOOM...that's what real work is like!

REPRESENTIN UP IN HURRRRR...

Credit goes to Drew for the protein cheesecake.

#5853310 - 10/11/11 08:43 AM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: Lewis]
FireInTheWhole Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Port Orange, FL
Dude, awesome progress!
#5926260 - 11/12/11 02:30 PM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: FireInTheWhole]
H Street NW Offline
TheSavior
Poster

Doing some update action. Pic below is at right about 12 weeks and about 4 weeks past the last update. Nonetheless, here you are.

Suggestions/comments/etc. more than welcomed! Thanks.

#5926262 - 11/12/11 02:33 PM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: H Street NW]
Lewis Offline
Post Master Supreme

BIG UPS TO MY DAWG!

Take notes HX_GUY and others....count them calories.

#5926268 - 11/12/11 02:37 PM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: H Street NW]
HX_Guy Offline
Post Master Supreme

Suggestion...get a tan. \:D

Props on the progress though, that's great especially for 12 weeks! How much total weight have you lost? Are you planning to lose more? I'd say your current weight looks pretty good, maybe start mixing some weight lifting in?

#5926428 - 11/12/11 05:20 PM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: H Street NW]
Serendipitous Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Northern California
Wow

Great example of what you can do if the desire and effort is there. You only get what you give.

#5926479 - 11/12/11 06:20 PM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: Serendipitous]
sexypants Offline
Post Master

Nice, looks like its time to hit some light weights to fill in that frame with muscles.
#5927397 - 11/13/11 02:27 PM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: sexypants]
Back 5 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: CA
Very awesome work OP! Sharky...you reading this???

#5927429 - 11/13/11 02:51 PM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: Back 5]
Silock Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

This is how you do a weight loss thread. Everyone else take notes.
#5927529 - 11/13/11 04:40 PM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: Back 5]
Sharkticon Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Aisle 7
 Originally Posted By: Back 5

He's doing the same thing I am doing. I lost 20 pounds in the first 4 weeks. I do need to add more cardio though. ;\)

#5927636 - 11/13/11 06:36 PM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: Silock]
Lewis Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Silock
This is how you do a weight loss thread. Everyone else take notes.

IOWANED representing up in hurr!!!

#5927716 - 11/13/11 07:22 PM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: Sharkticon]
HX_Guy Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Yo Shark Attack

He's doing the same thing I am doing. I lost 20 pounds in the first 4 weeks. I do need to add more cardio though. ;\)

I thought you weren't counting calories, or you are?

#5927791 - 11/13/11 08:16 PM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: HX_Guy]
Sharkticon Offline
Post Master Supreme

I'm not. I don't feel the need to do so but if I did I would probably be a few hundred more calories per day than H Street NW.

#5927804 - 11/13/11 08:25 PM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: Sharkticon]
Silock Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

I'm not. I don't feel the need to do so but if I did I would probably be a few hundred more calories per day than H Street NW.

That shit adds up over time. Isn't it easier to just cut down quickly and then get back to a more comfortable level?

#5927839 - 11/13/11 08:37 PM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: Silock]
Big Tasty Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto
Excellent progress! What weight are you at now?
#5927840 - 11/13/11 08:37 PM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: Silock]
Sharkticon Offline
Post Master Supreme

That shit adds up over time. Isn't it easier to just cut down quickly and then get back to a more comfortable level?

I have cut down considerably from what I was eating before I started.

I don't want to derail this thread but I am of a totally different mindset when it comes to (counting) calories and I am still getting results. The only time I read labels is to check if there's anything processed in the ingredients.

#5927844 - 11/13/11 08:38 PM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: Sharkticon]
Silock Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

You know that's not going to work very much longer, right?
#5927888 - 11/13/11 08:53 PM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: Silock]
Sharkticon Offline
Post Master Supreme

Whatever you say, pal..

I'm not sure what is so hard for you and others to understand? Low carb diets, (less foods consumed turning into glucose), evokes less insulin production which puts the body in a state of ketosis. The body starts burning ketones instead of glucose for energy and weight loss ensues.

A few hundred calories isn't going to make much of a difference. The calories aren't stored as fat. The body consumes them as energy.

*overly simplified explanation*

#5927935 - 11/13/11 09:09 PM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: Sharkticon]
Krys Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: texas
Drew understands it. He used to be in favor of thelc way (http://forums.clubsi.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/4242985) and he's actually one of the big reasons Brandon and I went down this path.

Anything about lc is going to start a debate that will go round and round and end in calories in/calories out.

If it works for you and is easy to follow, then run with it. I love it, feel great, and know it's right for me. It's working well for the op, so props to him. He looks great. Let's put the train back on the track. It's not worth killing another thread over.

#5927961 - 11/13/11 09:18 PM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: Krys]
Sharkticon Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Krys
Drew understands it. He used to be in favor of thelc way (http://forums.clubsi.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/4242985) and he's actually one of the big reasons Brandon and I went down this path.

Anything about lc is going to start a debate that will go round and round and end in calories in/calories out.

If it works for you and is easy to follow, then run with it. I love it, feel great, and know it's right for me. It's working well for the op, so props to him. He looks great. Let's put the train back on the track. It's not worth killing another thread over.

You're right. Back on track. \:D

#5927998 - 11/13/11 09:34 PM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: Sharkticon]
Lewis Offline
Post Master Supreme

FYI Op is following calories in/calories out.

#5928080 - 11/13/11 10:14 PM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: Sharkticon]
Silock Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Whatever you say, pal..

Uh, okay. PAL.

Quote:
I'm not sure what is so hard for you and others to understand? Low carb diets, (less foods consumed turning into glucose), evokes less insulin

I'm going to stop you right there. This is FALSE. Not even close to true.

High protein and high fat foods elicited a higher insulin secretion than carbohydrates.
http://www.ajcn.org/content/66/5/1264.abstract

High protein diet resulted in higher insulin secretion than a balanced diet:
http://jn.nutrition.org/content/112/4/681.full.pdf

That statement has been proven to be false many times over.

Insulin is simply a storage hormone. It stores blood sugar as fat, yes. It also shuttles protein into muscle cells (and other cells). It facilitates the movement of lipids into cells. It's not JUST about storing glucose as fat.

Quote:
A few hundred calories isn't going to make much of a difference. The calories aren't stored as fat. The body consumes them as energy.

If you are over your BMR + activity calories, yes, they are, no matter how much you wish this weren't the case. A few hundred calories makes a WORLD of difference. A few hundred calories, for me, is the difference between burning 1 pound of fat per week or gaining 1 pound of fat. It makes a difference, even when you're on a low-carb diet.

Originally Posted By: Krys

I still am in favor of it for weight loss, but for different reasons. It ensures adequate protein intake while dieting, which is important for maintaining muscle mass. And, for me, it's more satiating than any other diet.

I'm beginning to think that some of the new research is the key to why LC diets seem to work "better" than other diets. If, as the new research suggests, the true caloric value of 1 gram of protein is 3.2 kcals instead of 4, you're looking at a diet that is essentially 20% more effective, if you think you're actually consuming 4 calories per gram of protein. So, if you're calculating that you are getting 200g of protein, it isn't 800 calories, but actually 640. That's a huge difference over time.

Quote:

It's actually the same argument. You LC people just think you're consuming more calories than you actually are ;\)

Again, I'm not anti-low carb at all. Look at my food diary from my cut. It's about as low-carb as you can realistically get. But it was controlled for total calories instead of ad libitum protein intake.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Silock?date=2011-09-19

#5928177 - 11/13/11 10:48 PM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: Silock]
Krys Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: texas
I personally kept my cals to 1200, and got there with lc foods. I know that I need to control my calories. For me, I've learned that I also need to watch my carbs if I want to feel good and notconstantly be craving foods that cause me to overeat. I tracked both cals and carbs carefully, and limiting carbs also helped me lower my calories "naturally". The high fat and protein keep me full.

I think most lc people think they have a really huge calorie advantage and that they don't need to count. That's all fine and well starting off, especially if they have a lot to loose. Eventually that changes, and it all comes full circle and back to calories in and out. Too many people that try to follow lc just assume it's a free pass to eat as much as they want along as it's lc, and I'm well aware that isn't the case. I'd have been back to where I started at if I bought in to that. I've seen loads of people fail and fail hard because of that flawed thinking.

I feel better eating this way, so I stick with it. I still track daily, and know that I can have a high carb day as long as my calories stay in check. I usually feel like shit after, so that's enough of a deterrent to keep me from doing it often. I find it really easy to follow, which is also a plus. For me, while it was originally a weight loss tool, it's turned out to be a way of eating that makes me feel best. That's paramount for me. It's now just an added benefit that it's made maintaining my loss easy.

The new scientific ideas are really interesting. I follow a lot of it closely, so it'll be interesting to see what ends up coming of all of it.

#5928192 - 11/13/11 10:57 PM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: Krys]
Silock Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

:thumbs up:
#5928517 - 11/14/11 08:15 AM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: Silock]
Back 5 Offline
Post Master Supreme

We aren't trying to rail on you Sharky, but we can see the end result better than you can. We are all hoping you don't fall off the wagon, but according to your posts you are setting yourself up for failure.

Read through the links that Silock posted and really understand the physiology and research. Losing weight (and keeping it off) is a very disciplined process. You are undoubtedly eating less calories now than you used to, thus you are losing weight, but if you don't get a handle on exactly how many calories you are consuming, eventually you will fall back into a pattern of overeating.

We are trying to help you understand why the # of calories is so important.

If someone is trying to budget their money and save for a purchase of some sort. Would you think it were a good saving practice if they don't really know how much extraneous expenditures they have? If they say "Eh, I think I'm spending this much on extra stuff" an accountant is going to holler and tell them they need to get organized, otherwise they will ultimately overspend in the long run and never save adequately.

Same exact principle here.

#5928576 - 11/14/11 08:53 AM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: Back 5]
Sharkticon Offline
Post Master Supreme

We aren't trying to rail on you Sharky, but we can see the end result better than you can. We are all hoping you don't fall off the wagon, but according to your posts you are setting yourself up for failure.

Read through the links that Silock posted and really understand the physiology and research. Losing weight (and keeping it off) is a very disciplined process. You are undoubtedly eating less calories now than you used to, thus you are losing weight, but if you don't get a handle on exactly how many calories you are consuming, eventually you will fall back into a pattern of overeating.

If someone is trying to budget their money and save for a purchase of some sort. Would you think it were a good saving practice if they don't really know how much extraneous expenditures they have? If they say "Eh, I think I'm spending this much on extra stuff" an accountant is going to holler and tell them they need to get organized, otherwise they will ultimately overspend in the long run and never save adequately.

This will be my very last post in this forum.

This thread had ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with me and yet, you felt the need to pull my name into it.

Every thing I post, every idea different from the status quo from those in this forum is "YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG." So whatever points you try to make are lost in the translation.

And for every link posted to bolster arguments that I'm doing it wrong, there's another thousand or so, from credible resources, which state the opposite.

BTW, the links Silock posted are regarding HIGH PROTEIN diets which I am not nor ever claimed to be on. I'm on a paleo/whole foods diet and have been from the beginning.

N Street NW, keep up the good work.

#5928626 - 11/14/11 09:11 AM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: ]
Sharkticon Offline
Post Master Supreme

I don't feel I've been attacked.

I do feel that the concepts of what's working for me, similar to what H Street NW is doing (without counting calories) is wrong in the eyes of most people here.

Oh damn, now THIS is my very last post. \:D

#5928702 - 11/14/11 09:43 AM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: Sharkticon]
Back 5 Offline
Post Master Supreme

This will be my very last post in this forum.

This thread had ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with me and yet, you felt the need to pull my name into it.

Every thing I post, every idea different from the status quo from those in this forum is "YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG." So whatever points you try to make are lost in the translation.

And for every link posted to bolster arguments that I'm doing it wrong, there's another thousand or so, from credible resources, which state the opposite.

BTW, the links Silock posted are regarding HIGH PROTEIN diets which I am not nor ever claimed to be on. I'm on a paleo/whole foods diet and have been from the beginning.

N Street NW, keep up the good work.

Sorry Shark, didn't mean for my post to come across as me saying you are doing something wrong \:\( It was meant more as a way to better optimize.

#5928703 - 11/14/11 09:45 AM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: ]
PA2KFBPSI Offline
Post Master

Wow, great results...actually pretty amazing. Are your friends and family shocked?
#5928708 - 11/14/11 09:48 AM Re: Another Progress Thread? [Re: ]
mrnismo Offline
Post Master

Loc: PCB
 Originally Posted By: [OB11BO
]

Whatever you say, pal..

Uh, okay. PAL.

Quote:
I'm not sure what is so hard for you and others to understand? Low carb diets, (less foods consumed turning into glucose), evokes less insulin

I'm going to stop you right there. This is FALSE. Not even close to true.

High protein and high fat foods elicited a higher insulin secretion than carbohydrates.
http://www.ajcn.org/content/66/5/1264.abstract

High protein diet resulted in higher insulin secretion than a balanced diet:
http://jn.nutrition.org/content/112/4/681.full.pdf

That statement has been proven to be false many times over.

Insulin is simply a storage hormone. It stores blood sugar as fat, yes. It also shuttles protein into muscle cells (and other cells). It facilitates the movement of lipids into cells. It's not JUST about storing glucose as fat.
So, as a simpleton, I'm confused...

Do you want high levels or levels of insulin then?

There's still a lot of 'broscience' folks out there, some very reputable in the fitness industry, that claim you want to spike your insulin post workout. But the most respected folks like Alan Aragon claim this is BS and that there is no reason you ever need to spike your insulin with quick digesting carbs.

All I'll add to the LC debate is that to me personally low carb diets are far more satiating, and thus easier to adhere to, than high carb. I don't know what to believe as far as the 'humans haven't evolved long enough to properly digest carbs' debate so I just stay away from it now. If I want to lose weight I drop carbs because it's so much easier for me and that's it.

The one point I'll add to Sharky's 'eat whole food and don't count calories' argument is that it is very tough for most people to actually eat in excess when you're eating whole foods because they are far more nutrient dense/caloric sparse than processed foods. Most of us could inhale a pound of donuts for a few thousand calories and still be hungry an hour later but try eating a pound of chicken and broccoli and see how hungry you are.

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads