Page 1 of 60 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#5209423 - 11/30/10 02:30 PM Cyclists that race - training
shamrok Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Just seeing if we have any folks that race (crit/circuit/road) out there. Marathon training is at an end (Dallas this Sunday) and I have all intentions of training for the upcoming season. Just looking for some input on what to begin with, have a trainer with a cpu attached, so I can monitor wattage.

Because IRC is just filled with gems like this

#5211047 - 12/01/10 12:54 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: shamrok]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
My training is specific to Tri's, but I'll be waiting for advice as well. I have a general plan setup for my build up for IM CdA in June. It mostly consists of two long rides a week (40-110 miles), and one shorter tempo ride. For me it will mostly be about saddle time, nutrition, and building these hamhocks into something that can make me go fast. \:D

#5211166 - 12/01/10 02:11 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Sir Ironpool]
shamrok Offline
Post Master Sr

I may be dipping into the tris at some points - cycling and running part is decent (100mi 5h23m[w/ breaks] and can maintain an 8min/mile for 10ish miles)
but my swimming usually only confined to a mile in the gym pool.

but right now, I am die hard about getting prep'd for spring.

Edited by shamrok (12/01/10 02:11 AM)

#5216165 - 12/02/10 04:22 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: shamrok]
shamrok Offline
Post Master Sr

time to suffer indoors now!

#5216204 - 12/02/10 04:33 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: shamrok]
OnyxEros Online   nohc
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Seattle
I am a big fan of rollers for indoor riding or getting yourself a cross bike and riding outside.

I am not super excited about trainers due to the lack of improvement ive seen in riders that use trainers all winter vs. those that do rollers or (the best idea) ride outside.

#5216241 - 12/02/10 04:44 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: OnyxEros]
shamrok Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: OnyxEros
I am a big fan of rollers for indoor riding or getting yourself a cross bike and riding outside.

I am not super excited about trainers due to the lack of improvement ive seen in riders that use trainers all winter vs. those that do rollers or (the best idea) ride outside.

plan on only using that for interval work 2-3x a week with long outdoor rides mixed in, just not a lot of open road here I can do effort work and not get interrupted every mile. I agree on one thing, rollers get you in top form and your balance either improves or you have a lot of holes in the wall.

plus i can get a rough estimate on power output with whatever formula they've plotted with the trainer vs speed

Edited by shamrok (12/02/10 04:51 PM)

#5216332 - 12/02/10 05:26 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: shamrok]
Cheesegoggles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Here
I used a trainer a lot last winter and spring, and I saw all kinds of improvements in my fitness. When I'm out on the road, despite my best efforts, I'm really just riding as opposed to training. On nice weekend days I'll still bundle up and get out for a couple of hours to keep from going insane, but most of my time will be on the trainer.

Last year was my first year racing. I did not really have a structure plan. I've got some Spinervals and CTS DVDs and would just randomly pop one in. I did not own rollers until July or so but will incorporate those.

I don't have a power meter yet so I go by heartrate. I'm not sure how structured I intend to be yet, but my biggest weakness last year was I ran out of gas in crits that got up over about 30 minutes. We have Tuesday night training crits and I got pretty good at those, but they were in the evening and dependent on daylight. The races were often no more than about 25 minutes. I totally sucked ass at road races.

This year I'm going to devote more time early in my training to long intervals - 4x15 minutes, 2x20 minutes, etc. And I probably need to work at a higher heartrate than I did last year. My early focus will be on threshold work and I will gradually transition to more high intensity/short duration intervals as I get closer to the beginning of the season. And I'll probably spend some time on the rollers a couple of times per week after my interval workouts.

#5216562 - 12/02/10 07:33 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Cheesegoggles]
shamrok Offline
Post Master Sr

sweet man, we should keep updates going about how things are going

#5216628 - 12/02/10 08:07 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: shamrok]
lessthanmike Offline
Major Member

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
I love my trainer in the winter. I noticed a difference using last winter. It's awesome for lactate threshold drills, and speed/sprint drills. The one drill I love to hate are one leg drills they kill my hip flexors.

They just opened up this place about 20 min. away, it's an indoor cycle training center. http://ohioindoorcycling.com/

As soon as my legs are healed up I'm gonna go check it out.

NOHC--D, Because she knows I couldn't get laid in a women's prison with a handful of pardons.

#5224125 - 12/06/10 01:04 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: lessthanmike]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Denver, CO
in for tips as well. got my first road race picked for next year, april 2. so far since i got my new bike about 4 weeks ago,i have been putting 100 miles a week on. 2 30+ mile rides during the week and 35+ or so on the weekend. starting to fade out a bit now cuz of the cold so will be on the trainer and gym rest of the winter.

you guys that say you sucked at road racing..what are you sucking at? just curious so i know what to be prepared for

Edited by nato2377 (12/06/10 03:11 PM)

#5225047 - 12/06/10 06:21 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: nato2377]
Cheesegoggles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: nato2377
you guys that say you sucked at road racing..what are you sucking at? just curious so i know what to be prepared for

I was too fat, basically, for the elevation change in our road races. I did two and both were hilly. The second one was also on a really fucking hot day in May that kind of came out of nowhere. I also was still relatively new to the whole thing as well and not that fit. I dropped my weight down from 215 to 168 in the course of training and racing, but my two road races came relatively early in the season. I just wasn't fit enough to hang and, in particular, climb with the pack.

My first race had a big fucking hill right in the first mile. Not long, but very steep. I passed two people standing on the side of the road with their chains in their hands - they had broken their chains trying to get up it. I fell off the back on that climb and never caught up. The second road race I held on for about 12 miles but a big hill eventually separated me from the pack.

By comparison, I did probably 15 or so crits and improved quite a bit by the end of the season once I got my weight down and my general fitness improved.

I hope to do better this year in the road races since my weight is already down and I'll be focusing on fitness and endurance more. I want to actually put together a training schedule and think about it more than just focusing on weight loss like I had to do last year.

#5225111 - 12/06/10 06:52 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Cheesegoggles]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: CheeseGoggles

I was too fat, basically, for the elevation change in our road races. I did two and both were hilly. The second one was also on a really fucking hot day in May that kind of came out of nowhere. I also was still relatively new to the whole thing as well and not that fit. I dropped my weight down from 215 to 168 in the course of training and racing, but my two road races came relatively early in the season. I just wasn't fit enough to hang and, in particular, climb with the pack.

My first race had a big fucking hill right in the first mile. Not long, but very steep. I passed two people standing on the side of the road with their chains in their hands - they had broken their chains trying to get up it. I fell off the back on that climb and never caught up. The second road race I held on for about 12 miles but a big hill eventually separated me from the pack.

By comparison, I did probably 15 or so crits and improved quite a bit by the end of the season once I got my weight down and my general fitness improved.

I hope to do better this year in the road races since my weight is already down and I'll be focusing on fitness and endurance more. I want to actually put together a training schedule and think about it more than just focusing on weight loss like I had to do last year.

ah i see where you are coming from then. the first race i picked is 31km, and its description says rolling hills so im not worried about that. where i live there are hills of every kind everywhere. i go to climb a hill just to get out of me neighbor hood. fitness wise im 23, 175lbs, around 10-12% bodyfat. always been active and into sports,been cycling for over a year, gym regularly, so overall i think im in pretty good shape. i know i need to make sure i have the speed endurance for an entire race and just getting seat time in so i have the legs for it

Edited by nato2377 (12/06/10 06:56 PM)

#5225142 - 12/06/10 07:01 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: nato2377]
Cheesegoggles Offline
Post Master Supreme

ah i see where you are coming from then. the first race i picked is 31km, and its description says rolling hills so im not worried about that. where i live there are hills of every kind everywhere. i go to climb a hill just to get out of me neighbor hood. fitness wise im 23, 175lbs, around 10-12% bodyfat. always been active and into sports so overall i think im in pretty good shape. i know i need to make sure i have the speed endurance for an entire race and just getting seat time in so i have the legs for it

Yeah, you are in far better shape than I was going into my training. I had been riding for about five years recreationally, but never with any structure. I will say that training for racing was one of the best things I ever did healthwise - it got me in the best shape I had ever been in.

Racing on the road is very much about energy conservation, and that requires skill and confidence in the pack. Getting in shape is important, but it is also very important to get accustomed to riding in a pack if you aren't already. The first time descending into a turn at 30+ miles per hour with 30 other riders and very little margin for error was terrifying.

#5225157 - 12/06/10 07:06 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Cheesegoggles]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: CheeseGoggles
ah i see where you are coming from then. the first race i picked is 31km, and its description says rolling hills so im not worried about that. where i live there are hills of every kind everywhere. i go to climb a hill just to get out of me neighbor hood. fitness wise im 23, 175lbs, around 10-12% bodyfat. always been active and into sports so overall i think im in pretty good shape. i know i need to make sure i have the speed endurance for an entire race and just getting seat time in so i have the legs for it

Yeah, you are in far better shape than I was going into my training. I had been riding for about five years recreationally, but never with any structure. I will say that training for racing was one of the best things I ever did healthwise - it got me in the best shape I had ever been in.

Racing on the road is very much about energy conservation, and that requires skill and confidence in the pack. Getting in shape is important, but it is also very important to get accustomed to riding in a pack if you aren't already. The first time descending into a turn at 30+ miles per hour with 30 other riders and very little margin for error was terrifying.

my neighbor, whos like 38, used to race when he was my age and just got back into it this year. hes a CAT4 and we ride with a bunch of his buddies, some are CAT3 and some ride 10,000miles a year so im comfortable riding in groups and i have some good people to ride with that are much faster and stronger riders to help push myself. im not really worried about turns with people, i race motorcycles. 400lb motorcycle inches away at 100 mph is much scarier than a bunch guys on a bike at 30mph imo lol. i get what you are saying though...

Edited by nato2377 (12/06/10 07:10 PM)

#5226328 - 12/07/10 08:16 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: nato2377]
Cheesegoggles Offline
Post Master Supreme

400lb motorcycle inches away at 100 mph is much scarier than a bunch guys on a bike at 30mph imo lol. i get what you are saying though...

Yeah, you may be more accustomed to it. My fear really wasn't myself or the speed. My concern was the other newbie cat 5s surrounding me who I did not know and had no clue whether or not they could hold their line.

#5227190 - 12/07/10 01:28 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Cheesegoggles]
shamrok Offline
Post Master Sr

first day on trainer today - lighter workout as legs are still wonky feeling from the marathon.

conclusion: another fan and more towels

albeit the new Girl Talk album is good for making the time pass by

#5227564 - 12/07/10 03:20 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: shamrok]
Senor Eduardo_82 Offline
miataist
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ca�ada
Are you using a fan to cool you down at all?
#5227620 - 12/07/10 03:40 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Senor Eduardo_82]
shamrok Offline
Post Master Sr

yeah i have one weak ass fan, but i think i'd like one hitting me from the side as well

#5253862 - 12/19/10 09:20 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: shamrok]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

rode 60 miles yesterday in 32 degree temps in 3:40.xx with 4300ft of climb.
#5255050 - 12/19/10 11:47 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: nato2377]
Cheesegoggles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Didn't have enough time to get bundled up and ride in the cold today. Did a 2x20 set on the trainer while watching football:

10 min warmup
20 min time trial effort
10 min lower intensity spinning
20 minute time trial effort

Then did a 15 min cooldown on the rollers.

#5259414 - 12/21/10 05:57 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Cheesegoggles]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

20 miles today, planning on 25 tomorrow and 40 or so friday morning
#5264497 - 12/24/10 12:58 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: nato2377]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

50 miles today, 17mph avg, 4000ft of climb, 2:50.xx with 15-20mph head and side winds. sucked!

Edited by nato2377 (12/24/10 12:58 PM)

#5268378 - 12/27/10 11:59 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: nato2377]
shamrok Offline
Post Master Sr

ugh i need to get outside for some long rides

#5268931 - 12/27/10 03:15 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: shamrok]
Cheesegoggles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: shamrok
ugh i need to get outside for some long rides

If we break 40 this weekend I will get out for at least a two hour ride. It seems like its been forever.

#5277441 - 12/31/10 06:12 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Cheesegoggles]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

46 miles today, 2:30.xx, 18.5mph avg with 3000ish feet of climb
#5278483 - 01/01/11 07:23 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: nato2377]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
Nice job man. My bike is still hanging right now. Weekends have been just too busy to get any rides in. \:\( Hoping to do one tomorrow and maybe in the am this weekend if the temps come back up.

#5279045 - 01/02/11 10:28 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Cheesegoggles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Been sick for a week and not feeling like a ride. Might try to spend some time on the rollers during the football game tonight if I feel up to it.

Roughly two months until the first race of the season - a flattish 30 mile road race. Its more a training race than anything, so just looking to hang on to the pack and make sure my group riding skills are still there after the winter.

#5279185 - 01/02/11 12:52 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Cheesegoggles]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

got a easy 20 in today as well in the rain. first race of the year for me is a road race on april 2. for the cat 5's its only 19 miles on a course with rolling hills. since i've never raced before im just going to go out and see where i stack up and see what i need to work on for the next race. im just trying to rack up the miles as best as i can for now and start my build phase in the next few months

Edited by nato2377 (01/02/11 12:53 PM)

#5279395 - 01/02/11 04:03 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: nato2377]
shamrok Offline
Post Master Sr

after today my ears and nose agree that I need a balaclava.
easy 35 today except for the 1 or so miles of destroyed trail that turned into cyclocross practice on a tarmac, how I didn't flat out is beyond me.

#5281402 - 01/03/11 03:58 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: shamrok]
lessthanmike Offline
Major Member

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
I picked up this hat at kohl's. It's has a built in face mask that covers my nose and chin, it's also thin enough to fit under my helmet.
http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/mens/acc...+Fleece+Hat.jsp

NOHC--D, Because she knows I couldn't get laid in a women's prison with a handful of pardons.

#5281435 - 01/03/11 04:10 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: lessthanmike]
shamrok Offline
Post Master Sr

eh picked up a balaclava and some shoe covers today, and probably a better set of gloves for 30ish degree weather.

of course its 50 today.....

and mustache cup tonight! (bike races in a bar with bikes mounted to some rollers)

#5281707 - 01/03/11 06:08 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: shamrok]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

get toe warmers that stick to your socks ontop of your toes. i have gore tex shoe covers and my toes still got cold so i got some and they kept my feet warm down to about 25 degrees. had to wear snow gloves on my hands though lol
#5282180 - 01/03/11 10:25 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: nato2377]
shamrok Offline
Post Master Sr

tonight: was the mustache cup at a local bar

500m races on bikes mounted (via fork) to rollers
1st race (won): 26sec
2nd race (lost in the last 50m): 24sec

it was some fantastic torture

#5286410 - 01/05/11 05:32 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: shamrok]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

god i hate riding on a trainer.
#5289810 - 01/06/11 07:37 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: nato2377]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

hour and ten mintues of pyramid intervals tonight
cant wait to get back outdoors!

Page 1 of 60 12345>Last »

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads