Page 19 of 60 « First<1718192021>Last »
Topic Options
#7177993 - 07/14/13 08:00 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Sir Ironpool]
shamrok Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma
oy, fun weekend

dirt crit I blew up my chain, so I finished on a bike that was waaaay too tiny for me. The beer relay after all the events was worth it though.
XC race started in downtown Eureka Springs, AR - some s-h-i-t-t-y climbs to get out of that valley (32% grade at one point). 3k in climbing over 14.7mi - most of it being in the last 6-7 miles - a heinous switchback climb followed by about a 1/4 mile of double track that was miserable and consisted of loose gravel and broken dreams.

needless to say I got 2nd in the food lovers category (I think 1st turned it on in town as I never even saw him the entire race)

Because IRC is just filled with gems like this

#7178194 - 07/14/13 11:18 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: shamrok]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: RI
Any hardware is good hardware!

I guess this furthers the argument for 2x9 over 2x10 setups. 2x11 will mean snapped chains every other ride.

Congrats on making it through...

still have an EM1--go figure

#7178234 - 07/15/13 01:07 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
shamrok Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma
 Originally Posted By: g@mby
Any hardware is good hardware!

I guess this furthers the argument for 2x9 over 2x10 setups. 2x11 will mean snapped chains every other ride.

Congrats on making it through...

I was 1x10 \:\) - albeit went 30t up front for this versus the usual 32

Because IRC is just filled with gems like this

#7182206 - 07/16/13 11:45 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: shamrok]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

First TT of the (belated) season went so-so. 14.28 miles in 47:26. Average speed of 18.06mph. It was 90 and humid out, so it was murder. The two big climbs were brutal tonight.

I was climbing very strongly--passed a couple of people. However, I'd be so gassed from the climbs, that when I crested, I'd be spent and couldn't get up to descending speed quickly. Maybe with less heat it'll go better.

My PR on this course is 46:11 and I hope to drop sub-45 this season. The fast people are sub-40 (on TT bikes), the ludicrous ones are at 33 minutes (on awesome TT bikes). One fast chick who has gone 39 did a 41 today, IIRC.

The wattage spent on that loop is nuts. I literally feel better after riding 50 miles at a normal/brisk pace.

#7190211 - 07/21/13 04:44 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
volty Offline
Post Master Jr

Loc: New York
Ouch.

Had a nice ride trying to recover from last night's binge drinking, until mile 46, when both quads cramped. I felt some weakness on a small hill right before it, sat up, and was slow pedaling... Ugh, so painful. Stretched em both out, left hamstring cramps. Last 7 miles after were at an average of like 12mph, lol.

I dont cramp, like ever. Heat, detoxing, bad nutrition? I dunno. Definitely hydrated, went thru 3 waters and 1 gatorade.

#7190256 - 07/21/13 05:39 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: volty]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Denver, CO
had a pretty good weekend, 74 miles with 5500ft of climb on saturday, 35 miles and 2900ft of climb today. will have another 43ish tomorrow for a local monday night ride for about 150 miles in 3 days. had 12.5 hrs of riding this week and 10.5 last week. trying to finish the XC racing season hard and go into cross strong since im upgrading to cat3 in cross due to my cat1 mtb upgrade. picking up this wheelset for cross as well to put on my new ridley.

Bike:

Edited by nato2377 (07/21/13 05:41 PM)

#7190656 - 07/21/13 11:20 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: volty]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: volty
Ouch.

I dont cramp, like ever. Heat, detoxing, bad nutrition? I dunno. Definitely hydrated, went thru 3 waters and 1 gatorade.

The only time I cramp is in the heat. After enough miles, the hamstrings get a little twitchy if I'm not dead-on with hydration and salt. Salt is key to prevention of cramps.

As I said a couple of pages ago, nato's recommendation of Hammer Heed as a sports drink was priceless. A hot century with zero cramping.

Looks like this week's TT is going to get rained out--again. Fucking rainy Tuesdays. Hopefully the forecast changes in the next 24 hours.

I want to focus on some fast climbing for training this week.

#7195234 - 07/23/13 09:40 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

A massive downpour cancelled tonight's TT right before the start. A few of us stuck around after the rain stopped and rode the course in the wet. I was only a minute slower than last week with me being a bit of a pussy on the descents. Climbed with gusto though.

#7195326 - 07/23/13 10:33 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
The Mighty BellRacer Offline
Despises overt racism
Post Master Supreme

Loc: DFW
Set a new personal record tonight. 30 miles of rolling hills, 100deg heat and a 12-15mph headwind on the latter half and averaged 17.5mph, 6 whole minutes and 1mph faster than my previous best \:o
#7195994 - 07/24/13 10:22 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: The Mighty BellRacer]
volty Offline
Post Master Jr

Loc: New York
Nice!

Had a lovely ride this morning, no more oppressive heat out here, PRed all 4 significant hills along the ride. ~2100ft of climbing in 35 miles, which is about as much as you get lol kinda flat. And no cramps!

God I was sore for two days after the cramps. That sucked so much.

#7196196 - 07/24/13 11:34 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: volty]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
Been busy turning wrenches. \:\)

Built up a new full suspension frame, and converted the old hardtail to single speed. Gonna start offsetting the Tri training with some downhill ripping.

#7196564 - 07/24/13 01:59 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Sir Ironpool]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

One of the fast chicks at my TT signed up for her first Ironman. I think in CO iirc. She'll probably be pretty good. Ripping cyclist who places high in local tri's.

#7196637 - 07/24/13 02:25 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Yeah, they just opened registration for the newest race in Boulder.

Hopefully she can swim. \:D

#7196996 - 07/24/13 04:42 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Sir Ironpool]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Oh, I'm sure she can. She seems to eat/sleep/breathe triathlon. Cool chick--if I were younger and single, KAPOW!!!

#7199222 - 07/25/13 09:05 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: The Mighty BellRacer]
Despises overt racism
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: BellRacer
Set a new personal record tonight. 30 miles of rolling hills, 100deg heat and a 12-15mph headwind on the latter half and averaged 17.5mph, 6 whole minutes and 1mph faster than my previous best \:o

Did the same route tonight. My midway split was about 1.1mph slower than it was on Tuesday, even though I felt just as fast. I guess the wind was that much stronger on Tuesday. I thought I was screwed and there was no way I was going to make up that time on the return trip, especially since the wind felt every big as stiff as it did Tuesday once I headed into it.

I got home and to my surprise I was 12 seconds faster than I was on Tuesday. That was a great feeling

#7199390 - 07/25/13 11:27 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: The Mighty BellRacer]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Wind will fuck your world up. Granted, as you get stronger, it gets less and less detrimental. That said, wind in early spring slows me down to a depressing level.

I almost got taken out by a little kid on my 18 mile bike path loop today. Almost no one was out there because it was a bit drizzly, but this couple and their great parenting almost took me out.

(Family off of side of path)

-"Coming back on your right--in the right lane!"

(parents see kid go off into path)

(kid goes into right lane with his back to me)

(I swerve left)

(kid moves left)

(me @ 23mph) "HOLY SHIT!!!" as a just barely graze him

(me) "ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?!?!?!?!"

Parents in la-la land on bike paths FTMFL.

#7203472 - 07/28/13 10:21 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: The Mighty BellRacer]
Despises overt racism
Post Master Supreme

Did the same route tonight. My midway split was about 1.1mph slower than it was on Tuesday, even though I felt just as fast. I guess the wind was that much stronger on Tuesday. I thought I was screwed and there was no way I was going to make up that time on the return trip, especially since the wind felt every big as stiff as it did Tuesday once I headed into it.

I got home and to my surprise I was 12 seconds faster than I was on Tuesday. That was a great feeling

Broke it again this afternoon, brutally hot and humid with gusting wind. Midway split was 0.3mph faster than the last ride but the second half felt horrendously slow with the wind in my face. I was down on the drop bars for much of the ride to try to stay out of it.

Got home expecting to be disappointed but I logged 3 minutes FASTER than my last personal best, now at 18.03mph. I'm 9 minutes and 1.97mph from my goal. It'll be tough to get there before fall when the wind changes. For now the second half of the ride is both uphill and into the wind. Though, in the past 2 weeks alone I've shed 9 minutes from my ET. I have a sinking feeling that those were the easy gains, though.

#7203651 - 07/29/13 05:26 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
robbbby Offline
master electrician
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canada
 Originally Posted By: g@mby
Wind will fuck your world up. Granted, as you get stronger, it gets less and less detrimental. That said, wind in early spring slows me down to a depressing level.

I almost got taken out by a little kid on my 18 mile bike path loop today. Almost no one was out there because it was a bit drizzly, but this couple and their great parenting almost took me out.

(Family off of side of path)

-"Coming back on your right--in the right lane!"

(parents see kid go off into path)

(kid goes into right lane with his back to me)

(I swerve left)

(kid moves left)

(me @ 23mph) "HOLY SHIT!!!" as a just barely graze him

(me) "ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?!?!?!?!"

Parents in la-la land on bike paths FTMFL.

I've learned to NEVER call out which way you are going when on a shared path with other cyclists and people walking. The best thing to do is to pull to one side and make your move as fast as you can without trying to let anybody hear you approaching. As soon as people hear a bike coming from behind they will freak and automatically move from their current spot and usually step right in your way, likewise if you call it out, they just freak and move.

I have to hard brake or swerve at least a half dozen times for the small portion of shared trail I ride every time I go out. If people hear my bike they move from the far right of the path to the middle or jump all the way to the left. Sometimes I just want to stop and ask these people how fucking stupid they are for moving. Did you think I didn't see you and was going to kamikaze into you from behind. The worst are parents who let their kids ride far in front of them and their kids swerve all over the place. When I see kids I automatically go off the trail into the grass, I don't mind taking out a moronic adult for making stupid movements but I don't want to run over small kids because their parents are idiots.

#7206777 - 07/30/13 02:34 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: robbbby]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Edmonton
What's a good speed for cycling on flat ground/no wind?

I've just got my cyclocross bike and I seem about 2 mph faster on average than the mountain bike, but not enough sample to check. Also doesn't help hitting red lights and shit (even if I stop the clock). Initial number seems about 18 mph averaging mostly uphill into the wind and mostly downhill wind at back.

#7206793 - 07/30/13 02:40 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Impulsive]
Lewis Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: IA
Rode on RAGBRAI this past week, it's an awesome time if anyone here ever has the chance to do it!

#7206918 - 07/30/13 03:34 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Impulsive]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Impulsive
What's a good speed for cycling on flat ground/no wind?

I've just got my cyclocross bike and I seem about 2 mph faster on average than the mountain bike, but not enough sample to check. Also doesn't help hitting red lights and shit (even if I stop the clock). Initial number seems about 18 mph averaging mostly uphill into the wind and mostly downhill wind at back.

Depends on lots of things, but Id say between 18-24 is a good range to be in.

#7207671 - 07/30/13 11:27 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Sir Ironpool]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

24 is pretty goddamn fast. You're talented (and likely on a TT bike) if you're doing that.

FWIW on my hilly weekly TT with some harsh climbing and decent descending I averaged 18.78mph. That was a balls-out PR for me, btw. Did it in 45:40--finally closing in on the 45 minute barrier.

Climbed VERY strongly tonight. I barely used my bailout gear, which is a big step ahead for me. \:\)

#7207685 - 07/30/13 11:40 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

That's why I have such a wide range. Way too many variables. ;\)

#7207828 - 07/31/13 06:57 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Lewis]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Lewis
Rode on RAGBRAI this past week, it's an awesome time if anyone here ever has the chance to do it!

Does partying with sweaty bikers count?

#7207967 - 07/31/13 08:29 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: The Mighty BellRacer]
Despises overt racism
Post Master Supreme

Broke it again this afternoon, brutally hot and humid with gusting wind. Midway split was 0.3mph faster than the last ride but the second half felt horrendously slow with the wind in my face. I was down on the drop bars for much of the ride to try to stay out of it.

Got home expecting to be disappointed but I logged 3 minutes FASTER than my last personal best, now at 18.03mph. I'm 9 minutes and 1.97mph from my goal. It'll be tough to get there before fall when the wind changes. For now the second half of the ride is both uphill and into the wind. Though, in the past 2 weeks alone I've shed 9 minutes from my ET. I have a sinking feeling that those were the easy gains, though.

25 seconds faster last night. no letup on the heat and the wind was stronger than I can remember. i was down on the drop bars for over half of the return trip. the wind is such a variable i'm surprised i've been able to better my time with each ride thus far. i'd really like to see how fast i would go with calm conditions, but it will be at least a month before we get that here.

#7208023 - 07/31/13 08:49 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Impulsive]
Lewis Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Impulsive

Does partying with sweaty bikers count?

Haha, I don't do much partying on the ride.

#7208063 - 07/31/13 09:06 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Lewis]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

One year, Lance was part of it, so we drove to Newton and they had a huge party/stage/tent area in the center of town.

The next year, we went to Rube's and they stopped in. Packed the place and everyone was taking sponge baths in the washroom. Quite musty \:\)

#7208090 - 07/31/13 09:15 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Impulsive]
Lewis Offline
Post Master Supreme

Ya, Lance was on a PR mission this year as well. Half the people were going bananas the other half were telling him to GTFO.

#7210005 - 07/31/13 11:17 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Lewis]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Ya, Lance was on a PR mission this year as well. Half the people were going bananas the other half were telling him to GTFO.

I saw some grumbling about this on bikeforums.net

I wouldn't give him any crap. IMHO, he was the scapegoat of the massive doping era because he won. I'd be thrilled to ride next to him (not that I'd keep up for long, if at all).

Stoked for you that you did it, though. Must be an AWESOME time.

BTW--I forgot to mention that my "ghetto aero" might have played a part in my TT PR last week.

30mm V/flat spoke wheel up front (from my Trek), Ultegra wheel out back
Camelbak
Pump in Camelbak pocket

Could be placebo, but my efforts in the flats/downhill went a bit easier.

I read a bunch of stuff saying that an aero wheel up front did more than one on the back because the one up front is in "clean air".

If this is a more consistent result, I might have to delve deeper into it (more aero front wheel). Too much climbing to merit a heavier back wheel.

#7210031 - 07/31/13 11:43 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

50mm front and a wheelbuilder.com aero jacket in the back and I guarantee you'll see a difference.

#7210460 - 08/01/13 09:16 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Sir Ironpool]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Hmmmm...

#7210570 - 08/01/13 09:59 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

I don't know what these terms mean.

#7210646 - 08/01/13 10:33 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canadistan
its not because he won. lol how naive can you be

#7211034 - 08/01/13 12:47 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Euphoricuck]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Denver, CO
gamby, those wheels i posted are 40mm aero profile and 1520 grams and they were 520 bucks...might be a worthwhile investment

Edited by nato2377 (08/01/13 12:48 PM)

#7211624 - 08/01/13 05:07 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Euphoricuck]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Euphoric
its not because he won. lol how naive can you be

I realize that it's because he took down a lot of innocent people as well (that said, no one would have gone after him if he didn't have a stack of TdF wins--see: the rest of his competition who got off fine and were doping just as much). Regardless--he can no longer even club race and lost tens of millions of dollars. He's had is ass kicked and I think he's been punished pretty well.

To get beaten up by amateurs on a fun "festival ride" is just petty. I can't say there are any celebrities that I'd give crap to, mainly because I don't know them personally.

Page 19 of 60 « First<1718192021>Last »

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads