Page 17 of 60 « First<1516171819>Last »
Topic Options
#7109468 - 06/05/13 08:21 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Denver, CO
ugh melon i cant stomach that stuff. lemon lime for me! lol stuff def has a "different" taste/texture but it does work good, same with perpetuem.

have a 12 hr solo mountain bike race sat, wish i had some fresh perpetuem. gonna try to survive on pb&j, bananas, skratch labs and coke

#7109484 - 06/05/13 08:33 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: nato2377]
robbbby Offline
master electrician
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canada
12 hour solo, how the hell do you manage? I've always wanted to give an 8 hour a try solo but always end up doing it tag team. I know I would have the endurance to do the time/distance for a solo but my problem is I am way too competitive and would not be able to pace myself. I'd be going out the gate just as hard as I would for a regular 1.5 hour race and be dead after a few hours for pushing myself too hard.
#7109750 - 06/05/13 10:31 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: nato2377]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: RI
I got an assortment of flavors that the LBS had--lemon-lime, strawberry, mandarin orange and melon IIRC.

12 hour solo MTB is cray. I'd be spent after 4 or 5 hours.

still have an EM1--go figure

#7109891 - 06/06/13 01:02 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
shamrok Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma
ugh - just had a friend complete her first 24hr

batshit insane - I am happy with 6hr mtb races

Because IRC is just filled with gems like this

#7110759 - 06/06/13 12:32 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: robbbby]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: robbbby
12 hour solo, how the hell do you manage? I've always wanted to give an 8 hour a try solo but always end up doing it tag team. I know I would have the endurance to do the time/distance for a solo but my problem is I am way too competitive and would not be able to pace myself. I'd be going out the gate just as hard as I would for a regular 1.5 hour race and be dead after a few hours for pushing myself too hard.

idk how im going to manage, my longest ride is only 7hrs and that was on the road lol it will be a learning experience. im the same way as you, i just realllllly have to focus on riding slow at the start. it starts at 10:30 am so we get to ride like 2 hrs in the dark too for add excitement

#7110762 - 06/06/13 12:32 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: shamrok]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

pics of friend in her cycling shorts???

#7111498 - 06/06/13 06:19 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: nato2377]
robbbby Offline
master electrician
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: nato2377

idk how im going to manage, my longest ride is only 7hrs and that was on the road lol it will be a learning experience. im the same way as you, i just realllllly have to focus on riding slow at the start. it starts at 10:30 am so we get to ride like 2 hrs in the dark too for add excitement

I'm sure you will be fine once you find your rhythm and get your fueling all set. If you talk to most endurance riders most of them agree that as long as you stay on the bike it's not bad. Anybody that has done both a 24hr solo and tag team will tell you that doing it tag team is far more painful.

Not sure what kind of bike you are running but if you have a 32 tooth cog out back as your largest cog i'd look at picking something up with 34 or 36 teeth as the tallest cog. You'll be thankful to have that slightly taller gear for any climbing after the 6 hour mark.

#7111849 - 06/06/13 10:17 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
shamrok Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma
 Originally Posted By: g@mby
pics of friend in her cycling shorts???

Because IRC is just filled with gems like this

#7111998 - 06/06/13 11:53 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: shamrok]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

We've seen that one.

More skin needed. \:D

#7114159 - 06/07/13 07:46 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: robbbby]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: nato2377

I'm sure you will be fine once you find your rhythm and get your fueling all set. If you talk to most endurance riders most of them agree that as long as you stay on the bike it's not bad. Anybody that has done both a 24hr solo and tag team will tell you that doing it tag team is far more painful.

Not sure what kind of bike you are running but if you have a 32 tooth cog out back as your largest cog i'd look at picking something up with 34 or 36 teeth as the tallest cog. You'll be thankful to have that slightly taller gear for any climbing after the 6 hour mark.

yeah once i get through the first lap or two i should be ok. im just going to eat/drink like i do on the road and be good. might over do it just a tad. dont wanna get into a deficit that i cant claw my way out of. have 5 pb&j's, a sub, coke, cookies, bananas, water with skratch labs, and pretzels. im just worried about getting bored...laps are only like 7 miles.

bike is a 2012 specialized epic 29er FS, have a 36T in the back already so im set there. im more of a spinner and not a masher up climbs so i have taller cogs in the back then some guys.

also, its been raining here for the past 2 days so its going to be a fucking mud fest galore

Edited by nato2377 (06/07/13 07:46 PM)

#7115056 - 06/08/13 03:24 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: nato2377]
robbbby Offline
master electrician
Post Master Supreme

Little late but good luck and have fun. Update this thread with results and your thoughts about the entire experience. I'd love to hear how you were feeling from beginning to end.
7 mile laps are going to be awful for a 12 hour race, it's going to get very repetitive very quickly and probably start driving you insane.

#7115217 - 06/08/13 06:32 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: robbbby]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Did 18 (road) miles on the singlespeed and flatted my front 700x35 hybrid tire 3/4 of the way through. How the fuck does one do that?! It was a piece of glass, but who flats a front hybrid tire?!

Some kind of wizardry at work...

#7115570 - 06/09/13 12:53 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

i got 2nd place in solo mens open. ill post a report tomorrow.
#7115645 - 06/09/13 05:41 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: nato2377]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

so this race started at 10:30am and ran until 10:30pm. in a effort to get everyone off the course in a timely manner, you had to FINISH your last lap before 10:30, NOT start your last lap by 10:29.59 like usual. also, it rained here constantly thursday and friday around here, which made the course a muddy hell. im talking 5 inch deep peanut butter mud in lots of places, rest of the course was just regular sticky mud and slick. so the start of the race is a le mans start, we had to run like 100 yards to our bikes, was fun. my friend told me everyone starts out on their first lap going to fast, so i just chilled behind some girl who was doing a good pace. keep in mind we were racing against people who were doing 2 and 3 man teams as well. they were scored seperately, obviously. had 2 teammates in the race, one who is a stud and faster then me by virtue of climbing a lot better. we latched together and paced each other for the first 4 hours which was nice, but we were going way to fast and i knew it. i was shooting for a 145avg hr but was at 165 lol the mud was terrible, they had a bike wash station set up and we had to rinse our bikes off every laps. tires wouldnt clear, had mud everywhere, couldnt shift,chain was locking up. it was ridiculous. i felt good though. i was alternating bottles of heed and water every lap and i would eat a pbj one lap and a banana and pretzels the next. after the 4 hour mark, i started dropping my teammate. i was riding a steady tempo that didnt cause my legs to burn, and i was walking the rocky/rooty climbs to save energy since a lot of them were on side slopes and all you did was slide out. kept this up for the next 4 hours. looked at the leader board and saw i was 2nd. shit, not i gotta keep this up. started drinking cokes now and tons of bananas and just stopped with pbjs all together. i started cramping 9 laps in so i started having to walk more, but i didnt really full on cramp. lap 10 i had some bad cramps and thought this might be my last lap. my legs felt pretty good still, aside from the cramps which i mainly got when climbing. i made it back to pits, washed my bike off one more time. downed two cokes and 3 bananas, grabbed a bottle of heed and headed back out. i actually didnt cramp laps 11 and 12 but i was tired and ready to be done. well i crossed the line on my 12th lap with 1 hour 15 minutes to go. i wanted soooo bad to just call it quits but i had no idea where 3rd was so i went back out. ill tell you what, this is where i completely imploded. i was like a walking zombie. i was so freakin delirious i was falling all over myself. i told myself to quit at the next cross road and just ride back to pits, but each time i made it to one i kept going. i saw on my garmin the time and i was like fuck, im going to miss the cut off by like 2 freaking minutes. as i was about 100 yds from the line the timing officials started yelling i had 30 seconds left. i sprinted with all i had and crossed at something like 10:29:40. i crossed the line, got handed a soda and pizza and it was over. 2nd place. the winner was the only other person to do 13 laps. i lost by 14 minutes. 13 laps, 12,900 ft of climb, each lap was just shy of 7 miles so i had close to 90 miles in even though my garmin only registered 77 since it was auto pausing so much. i made it. i hurt so bad that last lap. the 7 mile laps really werent that bad since it was so muddy, slippery and full of rocks and roots, you really had to pay attention. there was lots of bridge crossings that were super slick. saw a guy wipe out and fall into creek lol my legs feel ok today so far, not sore or anything, just very fatigued and i feel half sick to be honest. i dont think i really want to do another one solo. if i did i would de
f ride slower. would prob do a 2 man team first though. thats it, thats a recap on my 12 hours of muddy hell at granogue.

strava link
http://app.strava.com/activities/59148917

Edited by nato2377 (06/09/13 09:52 AM)

#7115792 - 06/09/13 10:02 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: nato2377]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Monstrous and masochistic. That will make your next road race seem like you're sitting in a La-Z-Boy.

Congrats.

#7115914 - 06/09/13 11:31 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
Jesus. That sounds fucking brutal man. Congrats on the hardware!

#7116096 - 06/09/13 03:11 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Sir Ironpool]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

thanks guys, it was def tough but satisfying. here are some pics.

#7116126 - 06/09/13 03:45 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: nato2377]
robbbby Offline
master electrician
Post Master Supreme

You are a machine. Glad everything went well, you were smart to walk all those climbs, they would just sap your energy and not get you any further ahead. Sucks about the mud, would probably have been a lot more fun without having to deal with that shit. And 13k feet, that's intense. Well done.
#7116833 - 06/09/13 11:32 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: robbbby]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Yep--the pics seem to confirm the misery. BTW--why is it that there are always photographers whenever you ride???

#7116889 - 06/10/13 12:51 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
To quote my wife when it comes to anything other than running: "There's nothing about that that looks fun."

#7117027 - 06/10/13 08:23 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Sir Ironpool]
robbbby Offline
master electrician
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Mrs. Ironmom
To quote my wife when it comes to anything other than running: "There's nothing about that that looks fun."

I always think the same about running when I see runners trotting away on the sidewalk or path. Absolutely fucking boring.

#7117858 - 06/10/13 01:21 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: robbbby]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

You are a machine. Glad everything went well, you were smart to walk all those climbs, they would just sap your energy and not get you any further ahead. Sucks about the mud, would probably have been a lot more fun without having to deal with that shit. And 13k feet, that's intense. Well done.

at the start i just rode them as far as i could then hopped off and walked. i was trying to avoid lactic acid build up as much as possible during the first part of the race. later on i could walk them faster then ride them so that just made sense haha. was a lot of climbing but it was spaced out nice and didnt seem like that much to be honest

#7117862 - 06/10/13 01:22 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: g@mby
BTW--why is it that there are always photographers whenever you ride???

paparazzi

#7121759 - 06/11/13 09:43 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: nato2377]
The Mighty BellRacer Offline
Despises overt racism
Post Master Supreme

Loc: DFW
Just started out riding in wanted to get some more exercise outside. Enjoying it so far.
#7123566 - 06/12/13 04:52 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: The Mighty BellRacer]
robbbby Offline
master electrician
Post Master Supreme

road or mountain?
#7124490 - 06/13/13 08:41 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: robbbby]
The Mighty BellRacer Offline
Despises overt racism
Post Master Supreme

Loc: DFW
road or mountain?

road. longest i've gone is 36 miles so far. the last 5 of that were oooogly

#7124539 - 06/13/13 09:14 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Lewis]
Lewis Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: IA
 Originally Posted By: Lewis
My derailleur hanger bent on my bike and AFTER sending pictures of the bike and the hangar, bikesdirect sent me the wrong one... bikeless now for two weeks and it's killing me.

After a rim truing and a new rear derailleur I finally got my bike fixed! I will NEVER let it fall over again!

#7124965 - 06/13/13 11:46 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: The Mighty BellRacer]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: BellRacer
road or mountain?

road. longest i've gone is 36 miles so far. the last 5 of that were oooogly

It gets way easier after piling on more and more miles. 36 will seem routine to you in a short while. \:\)

Meanwhile, the rain will not stop around here. I got 40 in on Sunday and I won't get to ride again 'til Sunday because work, rain, social calendar.

Gonna do an hour on my wife's recumbent stationary bike before I go into school tonight. Thankfully, plenty of stuff on the DVR.

#7125634 - 06/13/13 04:45 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Lewis]
robbbby Offline
master electrician
Post Master Supreme

My derailleur hanger bent on my bike and AFTER sending pictures of the bike and the hangar, bikesdirect sent me the wrong one... bikeless now for two weeks and it's killing me.

After a rim truing and a new rear derailleur I finally got my bike fixed! I will NEVER let it fall over again!

kickstand brah!

#7127227 - 06/14/13 12:00 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: robbbby]
Lewis Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: IA

kickstand brah!

I think I might just wrap the bike in bubble wrap and foam!

#7127985 - 06/14/13 06:43 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Lewis]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

The weather reports were all wrong for today--the rain went away.

Got out for a quick ride and snagged a couple of PR's (I still have to look up exactly where)

#7133632 - 06/18/13 06:43 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

getting back into the cyclocross game this year. sold that hot pink POS i had last year a while ago, and picked this up from a teammate tonight for a STEAL. Ridely Supercross. scandium frame, carbon fork, stays and seat post. brand new sram apex gruppo, brand new trp mini v cx8.4 brakes, new chain. going to use my ksyrium wheelset for it. swapped a white seat onto it and gonna have white fizik microtek grip tape. paid 750. think thats a pretty good deal since the fork alone is 400ish

#7133663 - 06/18/13 07:06 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: nato2377]
robbbby Offline
master electrician
Post Master Supreme

Video of you bunny hopping that over a log?
#7133737 - 06/18/13 08:02 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: robbbby]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

haha there will be no bunny hopping this bike. im not that good and will most likely end up face planting!
#7133778 - 06/18/13 08:25 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: nato2377]
robbbby Offline
master electrician
Post Master Supreme

Not really racing related but i'm heading to the two spots in this article next week to ride.

http://www.bikemag.com/gallery/the-birthplace-of-quebec-mountain-biking/

Few days of XC/trail riding followed by 5 days of downhilling in Quebec.

Also have a 24 hour race this weekend but its with a team of 7 so more of a relaxed race. Hoping to get 5 laps at least, though i'm not looking forward to the night laps, absolutely HATE getting up at whatever time in the middle of the night that my lap falls on.

nato, you have to come up one year to do this 24 hour race, they claim it's the largest in north america. I've never done any other 24s so I can back up their claim but it is absolutely insane, it's somewhere between 2k-3k riders plus friends/family/whoever, pretty good time.

http://chicoracing.com/2013-mountain-bik...nd-shedule.html

Page 17 of 60 « First<1516171819>Last »

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads