Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#5156960 - 11/07/10 10:11 PM Crossing the border with used car parts.
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

I bought a set of rims and I am trying to convince the seller to let me make two paypal payments so that I can claim only one of them as the actual price of what I paid for them. I will also make a craigslist ad for that price and some emails going back and forth.

Anything else they might want? last time i brought rims i just showed them the paypal transaction and the ad, no problems. I can't remember, but is it going to be just the 13% in tax or is there anything else?

#5156992 - 11/07/10 10:28 PM Re: Crossing the border with used car parts. [Re: Risky Business]
xza8 Offline
Sr Member

There is usually no duty when you import goods by vehicle but if you import goods by mail, they will impose the correct duty rate.
#5157015 - 11/07/10 10:44 PM Re: Crossing the border with used car parts. [Re: xza8]
JEFFOS Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto
Just the craigslist ad and emails should be good

#5157028 - 11/07/10 10:57 PM Re: Crossing the border with used car parts. [Re: JEFFOS]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canadistan
jb weld them to the civic. drive over border. profit?

#5157042 - 11/07/10 11:18 PM Re: Crossing the border with used car parts. [Re: Euphoricuck]
Screamin Type ARGH! Offline
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T.O. - Canaduh
just lookup all the border guards on linkedin, save them as contacts...bam, you're golden...

"Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars"

#5157048 - 11/07/10 11:29 PM Re: Crossing the border with used car parts. [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Screamin 4Dix
just lookup all the border guards on linkedin, save them as contacts...bam, you're golden...
*dead*

#5157080 - 11/08/10 12:05 AM Re: Crossing the border with used car parts. [Re: Euphoricuck]
A2B-Lexus Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Raptors Land
linkedin is where its at!
#5157202 - 11/08/10 06:23 AM Re: Crossing the border with used car parts. [Re: A2B-Lexus]
TheRealCSnapper Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto, Canada
I brought back a set of winters in the summer and claimed that I got it at a meet for $400, on oe Audi rims. They sent me In for secondary inspection and let me go
#5157245 - 11/08/10 07:33 AM Re: Crossing the border with used car parts. [Re: TheRealCSnapper]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

I just made the ad on some CT craigslist, the buyer is down. Hopefully i don't go to jail.

If anyone has small stuff they need picked up from Can-Am over the next week holla y0.

#5157266 - 11/08/10 08:02 AM Re: Crossing the border with used car parts. [Re: Risky Business]
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

dude you'll be fine lol, i've brought toonnss of shit over back in the day, no issue. it was smaller things most of the time which i just unpacked and carried on me or 'threw' in the car. if it was bigger items, i just had a receipt/email transaction deal printed (if you have a paypal/ebay receipt this works well i find). just show them the part...tell them what it is (used car part, usually these go through no problem, i've used "bought at a flea market/swap sale" and that works too), tell them what it's worth (casually hold the receipt out the window, i find if they see you're upfront about sharing the info...they see you're trying to be legit and then are to lazy to bother to check the paperwork lol)...then the guard will usually just kinda look over at the item and say 'ok, go ahead'. worked for me with awhole front bumper before, as with other used suspension items.

#5157273 - 11/08/10 08:07 AM Re: Crossing the border with used car parts. [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

I've had some issue there before because i've brought way too much crap in, the issue is with used. New stuff you have no issues because it's just a legit receipt. With used things that could potentially be worth a lot (rims) they can be pricks if they want.

Anyway, hopefully i have s00n tymez

#5157276 - 11/08/10 08:10 AM Re: Crossing the border with used car parts. [Re: Risky Business]
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

tell them you're bringing in ivory (imported from Africa originally) - let me know how things go lol

#5157289 - 11/08/10 08:21 AM Re: Crossing the border with used car parts. [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
Simon_the_Pieman Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: The A
make sure the rims aren't hollow and it isn't filled with coke.

#5158440 - 11/08/10 03:34 PM Re: Crossing the border with used car parts. [Re: Simon_the_Pieman]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto,Ontario
well at worst they will value the goods based on what they think. since they have no idea what used items go for then most of the time they just let you go. bring them back dirty, make them look like they are worth $100 lol

#5158568 - 11/08/10 04:15 PM Re: Crossing the border with used car parts. [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
f22b-dohc Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: canadia
 Originally Posted By: Screamin 4Dix

#5158638 - 11/08/10 04:50 PM Re: Crossing the border with used car parts. [Re: f22b-dohc]
xza8 Offline
Sr Member

Rims only? Might as well buy tires and swap new set on car

I brought back used "tl" rims and showed the CL ad. Bso asked how much they are worth in Canada (2-3 more than the CL ad).

#5158777 - 11/08/10 05:58 PM Re: Crossing the border with used car parts. [Re: xza8]
loudsubz Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ontario, Canada
do the border guards usually let you pass through if your under a certain limit? I'm thinking about brining some electronics over that are around $250 US
#5159004 - 11/08/10 07:44 PM Re: Crossing the border with used car parts. [Re: loudsubz]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

They won't let you pass with that much shit, usually if it's a few t shirts or a pair of jeans they don't care. $250 and they are brand new, you will be going inside to declare it.

Axzter, the rims already have tires.

#5159019 - 11/08/10 07:48 PM Re: Crossing the border with used car parts. [Re: Risky Business]
spd-dmn Offline
Post Master

^^ word

I bought my roof rack used in Buffalo for $200 from a dude on CL

I just showed a printed copy of the e-mail exchange between me and the seller and that was fine but I still got sent inside to pay the HST on it.

Shrug, still worth it. Paid wayyy less than what it woulda been in a cdn retail store (nearly CAD$900 incl tax at rack attack).

#5159093 - 11/08/10 08:12 PM Re: Crossing the border with used car parts. [Re: spd-dmn]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

um dude, why didn't you pm me. I have a yakima rack collecting dust with two bike attachments that I am trying to unload.
#5159219 - 11/08/10 08:55 PM Re: Crossing the border with used car parts. [Re: Risky Business]
spd-dmn Offline
Post Master

haha

dude

a) i had no idea you were selling

b) this was like 4 months ago

c) for the 200 I got: thule base rack WITH the proper fit clips for my car (which was a totally blind guess since you can't exactly buy a fit kit for a GTi-R here), plus fairing, plus two yakima king cobra carriers

cant beat that shiet

i know you hate dealing with the retarded masses but you should still consider putting your stuff up on CL =/

#5159865 - 11/09/10 08:11 AM Re: Crossing the border with used car parts. [Re: spd-dmn]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

THat's a good deal, i bought my Yakima off a member here (Psychotic, whatever happened to him?), the whole rack for $80 with brand new locks/etc.
#5159941 - 11/09/10 08:46 AM Re: Crossing the border with used car parts. [Re: Risky Business]
Choco 'Nuck Offline
Proud Member of BLM
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Somewhere out there
^^ He's locked in Euphoric's basement.
#5159981 - 11/09/10 08:59 AM Re: Crossing the border with used car parts. [Re: Choco 'Nuck]
phoenixrage Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: People's Republic of Ontario
 Originally Posted By: Chocolate Canuck
^^ He's locked in Euphoric's basement.

a few years ago it would've been the other way around

#5160979 - 11/09/10 02:38 PM Re: Crossing the border with used car parts. [Re: phoenixrage]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Psychotic is around...

#5172215 - 11/14/10 06:11 PM Re: Crossing the border with used car parts. [Re: Euphoricuck]
Choco 'Nuck Offline
Proud Member of BLM
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Somewhere out there
So I bought some used Subaru Legacy wheels on Ebay. I shipped them to my mailbox is Niagara Falls US. I also bought a BMW tire sealer kit since I took off the run flats and am using regular tires for the winter.

When I was returning to Canada on Saturday morning, the conversation with the CBS officer went something like this

CBS: Where do you live?
Me: Pickering
CBS: How long were you out
Me: This morning.
CBS: Whats the nature and value of goods.
ME: $375 for used rims, plus I noticed my wife shipped some things, so an additional $125
CBS: Any alcohol or tobacco?
Me: No.
CBS: What do you do for a living? (I always get asked that anytime I cross in the bimmer)
Me: (tells him)
CBS: Whats your exemption?
Me: $50
CBS: No, zero
Me: What? (At this point I am thinking, shit, this guy trying to nail me for something).
CBS: Its zero, its only $50 if you've been out of the country for 24 hours or more, treat this as an educational experience and enjoy your drive home sir.
Me: Thank you Sir!

There ya go Vas, as long as you don't stare at the CBS officer, you should be fine!

#5172275 - 11/14/10 06:53 PM Re: Crossing the border with used car parts. [Re: Choco 'Nuck]
spd-dmn Offline
Post Master

ive driven across the border once with the following items inside a gutted out 240sx:

engine where the passenger seat would have been
transmission in the back
clutch and flywheel separately lying on top of each other
turbo and exhaust manifold
rad and hoses
intercooler and piping
like 6 boxes full of misc parts

the car was fully stacked full of shit

the best part is the stuff was -actually- all bought in Canada.. I took it down to Ohio on a prior occasion to do an engine swap, which didn't end up happening, so I went down there to grab all my shit back.

I basically told the agent a story to that ^^^ effect and he let me through after a long pause.

Maybe because it was 3am when I crossed hahahaha

#5172379 - 11/14/10 08:15 PM Re: Crossing the border with used car parts. [Re: Choco 'Nuck]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Chocolate Canuck
So I bought some used Subaru Legacy wheels on Ebay. I shipped them to my mailbox is Niagara Falls US. I also bought a BMW tire sealer kit since I took off the run flats and am using regular tires for the winter.

When I was returning to Canada on Saturday morning, the conversation with the CBS officer went something like this

CBS: Where do you live?
Me: Pickering
CBS: How long were you out
Me: This morning.
CBS: Whats the nature and value of goods.
ME: $375 for used rims, plus I noticed my wife shipped some things, so an additional $125
CBS: Any alcohol or tobacco?
Me: No.
CBS: What do you do for a living? (I always get asked that anytime I cross in the bimmer)
Me: (tells him)
CBS: Whats your exemption?
Me: $50
CBS: No, zero
Me: What? (At this point I am thinking, shit, this guy trying to nail me for something).
CBS: Its zero, its only $50 if you've been out of the country for 24 hours or more, treat this as an educational experience and enjoy your drive home sir.
Me: Thank you Sir!

There ya go Vas, as long as you don't stare at the CBS officer, you should be fine!

Thanks man, I've never crossed the border before with imported cars or goods

Anyway:

Then i saw this POS parked beside me on Sat night.

#5172460 - 11/14/10 09:18 PM Re: Crossing the border with used car parts. [Re: Risky Business]
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

lol nice

and wayne, no exemp. less than 24hrs mang.

#5172544 - 11/14/10 10:08 PM Re: Crossing the border with used car parts. [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
iamfob Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Out There
nice wheels Vas

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads