Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#4197182 - 10/27/09 12:47 PM What's the ugly on the Mazdaspeed6?
allan r Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: the land of cheese
I have a third kid on the way; I've worked it out to be able to fit three car seats in the back of a WRX but man it's tight. We'd mostly use the Mazda6 to haul everyone around at once anyway; much more room in it. But there will be times that's not possible.

Today I had this idea pop in my head, to sell my car, maybe find a Mazdaspeed6. Can those of you in the know tell me about the kinks and problems they have, specific to the Mazdaspeed version. Engine/turbo/drivetrain problems? I would want a stock car and keep it that way. I'm assuming it's hard to find a stock unabused one.

Thanks \:\)

Videos
#4197376 - 10/27/09 01:25 PM Re: What's the ugly on the Mazdaspeed6? [Re: ]
NOT spotch... Offline
Post Master Supreme

It's somewhere between an LGT and an STi as far as handling and ride quality are concerned.

Good car, don't mawd it.

#4197403 - 10/27/09 01:33 PM Re: What's the ugly on the Mazdaspeed6? [Re: ]
B15Sentra Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Bay Area, CA
As far as styling goes, I'd say the MS6 is a better looking car than the Legacy GT. That being said, I'd take the Legacy GT in a heartbeat.

Please don't buy a Mazdaspeed6.

-Leaky transfer cases like whoa
-Smoking turbos that eventually crap out
-Under-engineered motor. As they approach 100k miles more and more owners are shooting rod 4 through the block.
-Mushy stock motor mount must be replaced. Do a 1-2 shift on a stock MS6 and you will laugh out loud.
-Power band completely dies after 5.5k rpms. Puke and die like you've never felt before.
-Part throttle bucking/surging/stuttering issues
-Eats axles
-Weak/defective rear differentials
-Plasticy rattletrap interior
-Needs a diet

Spend some time over at Mazda6Club. Every other post on there is about something that's wrong with the car.

It looks great on paper. I loved the utility and overall driving habits of the car. Turned out to be the worst automotive decision I've ever made. \:\(

#4197483 - 10/27/09 01:45 PM Re: What's the ugly on the Mazdaspeed6? [Re: NOT spotch...]
B15Sentra Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: spotch
It's somewhere between an LGT and an STi as far as handling and ride quality are concerned.

Correct.

Quote:

Good car, don't mawd it.

Plenty of headaches with a stock MS6. Things get catastrophic when you mod.

#4197530 - 10/27/09 01:53 PM Re: What's the ugly on the Mazdaspeed6? [Re: B15Sentra ]
allan r Offline
Post Master Supreme

Point taken. Wow, didn't realize it was that bad! Good thing I didn't buy one new! (I should say though, I've never had a single rattle in my regular Mazda6)

I'm not really convinced on the LGT. I'd still have a hard time finding a not-modded used one. Plus I get the feeling that the back seat isn't all that much bigger than mine as it is. (Of course I could keep my summer wheels I already have, eh?)

#4197549 - 10/27/09 01:57 PM Re: What's the ugly on the Mazdaspeed6? [Re: allan r]
UglyValiant Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Milwaukee, WI
If you're going to have three kids, get the utility of a wagon and go w/ a forester turbo. Always been a fan of those.

Personally myself, I'm looking at wagons too...but I'm looking for even bigger, like a Magnum R/T AWD for our winters.
1989 Shelby CSX (#500/500)
The most powerful production minivan money can buy.

#4197552 - 10/27/09 01:58 PM Re: What's the ugly on the Mazdaspeed6? [Re: allan r]
B15Sentra Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: allan r
Point taken. Wow, didn't realize it was that bad! Good thing I didn't buy one new! (I should say though, I've never had a single rattle in my regular Mazda6)

I really wouldn't want you to go through anything like I did. I'm not just made at Mazda (anymore). The testimonials are everywhere. Others with MS-6s will probably chime in.

Quote:

I'm not really convinced on the LGT. I'd still have a hard time finding a not-modded used one. Plus I get the feeling that the back seat isn't all that much bigger than mine as it is. (Of course I could keep my summer wheels I already have, eh?)

That's funny. I'd expect 90% of them to be stock since it's so Camry-ish. I doubt it has much more room than the WRX and I'm way too lazy to look up the dimensions.

#4197715 - 10/27/09 02:30 PM Re: What's the ugly on the Mazdaspeed6? [Re: ]
Z24 lol Offline
and Fuck you for the new name lol
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Lovely CONROE, TX! YEE-HA!
S2000, strap the kids to the trunk and hood!!
#4197753 - 10/27/09 02:36 PM Re: What's the ugly on the Mazdaspeed6? [Re: B15Sentra ]
FCobra94 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: MD
 Originally Posted By: B15Sentra
That's funny. I'd expect 90% of them to be stock since it's so Camry-ish.

Yeah, same here.

What's your budget like?

#4197807 - 10/27/09 02:45 PM Re: What's the ugly on the Mazdaspeed6? [Re: ]
Adam G Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Arrr-Kansas
 Originally Posted By: PatB18C
The ugly:

Styling, shitty AWD system, puking turbos, weak top end, power loss in summer, gross interior materials, ugly ass styling that is ugly and gross.

The good:
Should be cheap used since they are total piles of shit.

Result:

Get an LGT.

ORLY? My LGT turbo blew at 59,500 and transmission was on its way out.

#4197813 - 10/27/09 02:46 PM Re: What's the ugly on the Mazdaspeed6? [Re: Adam G]
Chris92Sc2 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: MI USA
Factory Forced Induction cars are all prone to retarded problems, it really depends on when and if you want to deal with it.

#4197925 - 10/27/09 03:06 PM Re: What's the ugly on the Mazdaspeed6? [Re: Chris92Sc2]
FCobra94 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Chris92Sc2
Factory Forced Induction cars are all prone to retarded problems, it really depends on when and if you want to deal with it.

That's what I was leading towards. Kinda pointless to go that route when you don't plan on modding and are looking for a reliable family hauler.

#4197938 - 10/27/09 03:08 PM Re: What's the ugly on the Mazdaspeed6? [Re: B15Sentra ]
allan r Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: B15Sentra

That's funny. I'd expect 90% of them to be stock since it's so Camry-ish. I doubt it has much more room than the WRX and I'm way too lazy to look up the dimensions.

True probably, regarding the automatic ones. I'd bet on a hard time finding a never-modded manual one though.

Not really looking for a wagon and I don't like the Forester anyhow. What I really need is backseat space where the benefit of a wagon is in the rear. My Mazda for instance has a pretty big trunk.

The thing about this situation that chaps my ass is that I can (reasonably) fit three grown people into the back of my WRX, but because all kids seats are enormously bubbly and huge I you can barely fit three pipsqueaks back there?!?! I'm really on a quest to find the right combination of the slimmest kid's seats, if anyone's been down that road speak up!!

#4198223 - 10/27/09 04:31 PM Re: What's the ugly on the Mazdaspeed6? [Re: allan r]
Quad4_driver Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: B.C. Canada
Wasn't Bren saying that like newer subarus thsese cars suffer from horrible factory tunning?

Could many of there issues be fixed with a reflash?

#4198451 - 10/27/09 05:51 PM Re: What's the ugly on the Mazdaspeed6? [Re: Quad4_driver]
theLoon Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: MN
If you're on your third kid, couldn't one of them sit in a booster seat in the middle?

I have a Britex seat, and it's awesome but gigantic (and expensive). We have a Cosco seat in the Volvo and it's much smaller. The "Recaro" seats look relatively narrow too.

#4198589 - 10/27/09 06:32 PM Re: What's the ugly on the Mazdaspeed6? [Re: theLoon]
allan r Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: theLoon
If you're on your third kid, couldn't one of them sit in a booster seat in the middle?

I have a Britex seat, and it's awesome but gigantic (and expensive). We have a Cosco seat in the Volvo and it's much smaller. The "Recaro" seats look relatively narrow too.

(Sorry this turned into a parenting thread, but listen up you guys 'cause you'll be here soon enough \:D )

I'll have two in booster seats on either side and the baby in the middle in a rear facing seat (the kind that is removable from the seat base). My boosters are Evenflo and are about the smallest I can seem to find (as small or smaller than the Recaro).

Right now I can physically fit all three in the car, but it's hard to get to the seatbelts latch for the side seats. See how the silver base bubbles outward at the sides? That's the problem, it prevents access to the belt latch. I found the Chicco seat has a square base. I'm not sure if it will make the difference, plus it's $170!

My Graco:

The Chicco:

My boosters

#4198706 - 10/27/09 07:15 PM Re: What's the ugly on the Mazdaspeed6? [Re: allan r]
GB Offline
Sharesies!
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Craigslist
Lol at the booster.

#4198800 - 10/27/09 07:46 PM Re: What's the ugly on the Mazdaspeed6? [Re: GB]
tylerdurden Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Shyea, like I'm telling you
When I saw the first baby seat I thought, "That is the stupidest looking helmet I've ever seen.".
#4199031 - 10/27/09 08:57 PM Re: What's the ugly on the Mazdaspeed6? [Re: allan r]
daisy Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Tacoma, WA
I was (barely) able to fit 3 carseats (2 carseats and a booster) in the backseat of my 98 Legacy 2.5GT wagon, so I would imagine the newer Legacy to have a bit more room. Why not look at a V6 manual Mazda6 (I know you have one in the family already)? Or you can suck it up and buy a minivan/SUV lol soccer-mom.

#4199108 - 10/27/09 09:28 PM Re: What's the ugly on the Mazdaspeed6? [Re: daisy]
cacasesi Offline
Say my name!
Post Master Supreme

There's a time in life when a minivan makes a whole lot of sense. This is that time.
#4199133 - 10/27/09 09:37 PM Re: What's the ugly on the Mazdaspeed6? [Re: cacasesi]
NOT spotch... Offline
Post Master Supreme

Mazda 5 w/ the stick shift.

Totally want one.

#4199178 - 10/27/09 09:58 PM Re: What's the ugly on the Mazdaspeed6? [Re: NOT spotch...]
fellfrosch7 Offline
Post Master

Loc: Las Vegas
I'm due for kid #3 in February. Wife is sticking with the Maxima, I'll be damned if I get suckered into getting a van/SUV.

#4199197 - 10/27/09 10:06 PM Re: What's the ugly on the Mazdaspeed6? [Re: fellfrosch7]
allan r Offline
Post Master Supreme

Minivan = No. Fucking. Way. (especially when the primary family moving car is already sufficient). My parents never had one for us three kids. Hell my dad had a fox body Mustang when I was a teen!

fellfrosh, get out your tape measure and start planning! just have to find the right 3 seat combo. We're due in January, btw.

#4199280 - 10/27/09 10:53 PM Re: What's the ugly on the Mazdaspeed6? [Re: allan r]
EclipseGT Offline
Jr Member

Loc: Lenexa, KS
I bought a pearl white loaded MS6 GT with a $33K sticker for $22k brand new, drove it a year, sold it to someone in Washington for $22k.

I loved the color, it was a decent looking car, build quality was ok, handled ok... All I did was a track pipe and mazdaspeed intake, no way would I mod it beyond that. I actually really liked the car and at the time there was nothing at that price that would give me leather, AWD, 6 speed, 276 hp, HIDs, keyless start, sunroof, etc.

The reason I sold it was the fucking Bose stereo, it was painfull, possibly the biggest piece of shit "premium" stereo next to my wifes MINI Cooper's. I hate the way aftermarket radios look in most new cars, I am not paying 2k for speakers, amp, and a JL cleansweep to get decent sound so I fucking sold it.

How about a Saab 9-7x Areo? Or an 06 330xi? Or a 04-06 545i/550i?

#4199682 - 10/28/09 07:36 AM Re: What's the ugly on the Mazdaspeed6? [Re: EclipseGT]
allan r Offline
Post Master Supreme

I appreciate the suggestions Eclipse but I'm not much for luxury brands. A 330xi did cross my mind briefly but shoot that's probably smaller in back than the Impreza! As did a G35.

Thanks for the note on the Mazda Bose stereo though, a guy at work wants to get a '10 Mazdaspeed3 and he was debating on the Bose stereo (I told him its probably not worth it, looks like I'm right).

#4199794 - 10/28/09 08:36 AM Re: What's the ugly on the Mazdaspeed6? [Re: allan r]
NOT spotch... Offline
Post Master Supreme

Sadly, I can't think of a single instance where a Bose stereo was actually a worthwhile thing to have.

In most cases its doubly-bad because it's so hard to find shit that works with OEM bose decks. At least that's the way it was years ago... you had to spend a ton of dough for specific parts (which weren't usually the 'best' either) or just replace THE ENTIRE SYSTEM with aftermarket stuff.

Fucking bose man. For talking like they're the audiophiles choice, they sure do a shitty job.

#4199797 - 10/28/09 08:37 AM Re: What's the ugly on the Mazdaspeed6? [Re: allan r]
NOT spotch... Offline
Post Master Supreme

Minivan = No. Fucking. Way. (especially when the primary family moving car is already sufficient). My parents never had one for us three kids. Hell my dad had a fox body Mustang when I was a teen!

fellfrosh, get out your tape measure and start planning! just have to find the right 3 seat combo. We're due in January, btw.

Why not the bigger of the volvo wagons (v50? v70? hell if i know). seems like the back seat is pretty wide, and then you have what appears to be a cavernous hatch area. Every time i see one of those I think "Man, I can fit the dogs AND any kids we may or may not decide to have one day".

True story. Saw one this morning.
<3

#4200158 - 10/28/09 10:37 AM Re: What's the ugly on the Mazdaspeed6? [Re: Adam G]
bren si Offline
Post Master

Loc: MA
 Originally Posted By: Adam G
The ugly:

Styling, shitty AWD system, puking turbos, weak top end, power loss in summer, gross interior materials, ugly ass styling that is ugly and gross.

The good:

Result:

Get an LGT.

n word please

the banjo bolt screen filter gets clogged by lack of oil changes and eats the turbo. Normal vf40 thing, pull the filter out, or follow the TSB by the dealership. 100+k turbo

#4200341 - 10/28/09 11:26 AM Re: What's the ugly on the Mazdaspeed6? [Re: bren si]
Adam G Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Arrr-Kansas
 Originally Posted By: bren si
 Originally Posted By: Adam G
The ugly:

The good:

Result:

Get an LGT.

n word please

the banjo bolt screen filter gets clogged by lack of oil changes and eats the turbo. Normal vf40 thing, pull the filter out, or follow the TSB by the dealership. 100+k turbo

That's the first thing I asked about when the dealership tore it down. They said the banjo bolt filter was clean. Lots of them seem to go out right around the same mileage, I was just lucky that I got in under 60k miles.

#4200346 - 10/28/09 11:29 AM Re: What's the ugly on the Mazdaspeed6? [Re: ]
Z24 lol Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: baudchaser
Can't you just straddle the third seat in the middle on top of the other two? Pyramid that shit! lol.

edit: Oh, and I second all the Bose comments. My dad is a huge Bose fan and I don't know why. I have a Bose system in my RSX, and while it's not bad (actually the best I've had in any car I've owned, but that isn't saying much) it's not up to par with a lot of other cars I've driven/been in.

Aftermarket radio helps the Bose System in the RSX. I am slowly replacing mine. Just installed some Alpine components this weekend up front. Now I need to replace my 2 channel amp with a 3 channel.

Edit: the Fosgate(Clarion) system in the Spec-v was actually pretty good for a stock radio.

Edited by HoustonRSX (10/28/09 11:29 AM)

#4200392 - 10/28/09 11:43 AM Re: What's the ugly on the Mazdaspeed6? [Re: NOT spotch...]
GB Offline
Sharesies!
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Craigslist
 Originally Posted By: spotch

Why not the bigger of the volvo wagons (v50? v70? hell if i know). seems like the back seat is pretty wide, and then you have what appears to be a cavernous hatch area. Every time i see one of those I think "Man, I can fit the dogs AND any kids we may or may not decide to have one day".

True story. Saw one this morning.
<3

V70 FTW!

#4200505 - 10/28/09 12:22 PM Re: What's the ugly on the Mazdaspeed6? [Re: ]
Z24 lol Offline
Post Master Supreme

double din radio or get a base rsx radio housing. 114 dollars for my components and they sound 10x better than the stock ones.
#4200773 - 10/28/09 01:37 PM Re: What's the ugly on the Mazdaspeed6? [Re: Z24 lol]
FCobra94 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: HoustonRSX
get a base rsx radio housing.

That...and then you'll have a pocket for CD's

#4200873 - 10/28/09 02:05 PM Re: What's the ugly on the Mazdaspeed6? [Re: FCobra94]
Z24 lol Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: FCobra94
 Originally Posted By: HoustonRSX
get a base rsx radio housing.

That...and then you'll have a pocket for CD's

I have one now with the Metra kit.

#4203293 - 10/29/09 08:59 AM Re: What's the ugly on the Mazdaspeed6? [Re: ]
SEANSE-R Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: West MI
Well, The mazdaspeeds backseat dwarfs the legacy backseat so I'm sure it will be miles larger than the impreza. My car was far from perfect it spent its share of time at the dealer. recently with a bad front wheel bearing at 36k miles. I had the leaking transfer case, which the dealership botched the repair of 3 times. I had the noisy engine at start up TSB done and the dealer fucked that up too. Other than horrible dealership experiences I loved the car. Mine didn't rattle. The backseat was very comfortable for adults even. It got around fantastic in the snow. I had snow tires so that helped. It handled well enough for a large sedan. I had no delusions I was buying a 4dr miata.
My soon to be ex is looking to sell it if your looking. lol

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  auxilary, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads