Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#33083 - 07/16/03 02:01 PM I hate to do it but I gotta repost my hmotorsonline rant....
dross99_si Offline

Loc: Lancaster, CA
Let me tell you about my experience...

I figured I'd try them out since they are the closest engine supplier to my house. The experience wasn't good. I went down there to pick up a zc not too long ago and it was a disaster. I wanted to look through the engines to pick out a good one, and he had a problem with that. I told him I'm not paying over $500 to get some kinda mystery motor. So I go back there and most of the engines I see are trashed. Nasty looking shit, even lots of the b-series I saw. So I finally find a decent looking zc except it was missing the distributor, plug wires, coolant temp sensor, the tps was smashed to shit, crank pully was all chipped, and some other small BS. This was the nicest one they had. I pulled the dip stick and nothing registered so I asked Steve about it and he told me that they drain the oil when they recieve the engines. So I thought nothing of it. The next thing I know the dude is trying to load it in my truck. I'm like hold on, you guys gotta replace the missing/broken parts. They didn't want to do it. Finally after I bitched some more they were willing to replace the parts (with a healthy dose of attitude.) They expected me to pay full price for the engine how it sat. WTF do they think I am, an idiot? So I spent another hour there while they found parts off the other trashed zcs to make me one good one. I was so pissed at this point that we just wanted to get home. We finally got the engine home and started prepping it for the swap. I pulled the drain bolt from the oil pan and here's what we found inside....

Coolant in the oil, oh hell no!! Needless to say I was really pissed and called Steve right away. He argued that his guys did a leakdown test and the engine was fine and didn't want to do anything for me, he said just put it in the car and call me if you have a problem. Screw that. We argued for like 20 more min and he finally agreed to give me my money back and I took it back the next day. I'll tell ya, I've bought engines from Nippon, K. Watanabe, YLM, and another place in Anaheim and I have NEVER had a shittier experience buying an engine. IMO hmotorsonline licks balls!! Hope they go outta business.
The best engine supplier I've experienced is YLM. Their phone number is 626-303-0877 or www.ylmauto.com and talk to Peter, he is the shit!! And their engines are cheaper!

Sorry about the harsh honesty. The truth hurts, if you're scared go to church...

Edited by dross99_si (07/20/03 03:03 AM)

Visit Sponsors! Help CSi !
#33084 - 07/16/03 02:20 PM Re: I hate to do it but I gotta repost my hmotorsonline rant....
ThinkTwice Offline
Jr Poster

WTF! HEll no. I was actually tihnking of getting my b18c1 fomer them. After this, it kidna makes me scared. IM not spenind $3,199.00 plus tax for a POS. I guess ill keep looking around.
#33085 - 07/16/03 02:28 PM Re: I hate to do it but I gotta repost my hmotorsonline rant....
fowler Offline

Loc: So Cal
If I were him, I'd treat you the same way. It sounds to me like you're coming off as a total asshole. You don't own the place, so what makes you think that you have the right to go back there whenever you want? You don't. He has the right to tell you to keep your ass in that little office for insurance pursposes.

When I went there, all the motors that I looked at were really clean. I didn't see anything out of the ordinary that would lead me to believe that he was selling shitty motors.

And most of the other people that I know have had good experiences. So, it looks like you're in the minority.

Looks like it's time to move on if you're not happy with what you got, not make a post making yourself out to look like some cry baby.

#33086 - 07/16/03 03:16 PM Re: I hate to do it but I gotta repost my hmotorsonline rant....
RM99CivicSi Offline

Loc: Harrisburg, PA, USA
its posts like these that let everyone know whats up....if no one said anything crooks would prosper

#33087 - 07/16/03 03:23 PM Re: I hate to do it but I gotta repost my hmotorsonline rant....
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dude, you bought a ZC, what makes you think in the first place it'll be in good condition? those things are over 10 years old easily..
#33088 - 07/16/03 03:25 PM Re: I hate to do it but I gotta repost my hmotorsonline rant....
MoesFlashBlueCar Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Pontiac, MI
Ok not to be a dick... but you are buying a used motor, and you dont know where the fuck it came from. Im sick and tired of seeing ppl post horror storys about their "swaps". These storys usually revolve around, i got the engine cleaned it off, put it in and started it.

Do yourself a favor, and change all the fluids, spark plugs, wires, dist cap, rotor, oil pump, water pump. And tear the motor down and replace ALL the gaskets and seals. Hmo is a good place, but like most they done Warranty the motors, there warranty consists of the motor starting. It doesnt have to idle just turn over, and run for 2sec, anything after that and its your problem.

So take the advice i have given, and just accept the motor you have. Cuz its FUCKIN USED, and has probally been beaten on by a 20 yr old jap boy, and then crashed into a swamp and cut apart, and sent to a salvage yard. SO that the "importers" would have clips and swaps to sell to ppl like us.

#33089 - 07/16/03 04:03 PM Re: I hate to do it but I gotta repost my hmotorsonline rant....
myblue00si Offline
Jr Member

Loc: Nor Cal
With the hard time they gave you before you bought the engine I would have told him to fuck himself and left without buying shit . I know the felling of wanting a new toy but fuck getting screwed.

#33090 - 07/16/03 04:35 PM Re: I hate to do it but I gotta repost my hmotorsonline rant....
dross99_si Offline

It was for my brother's car and Steve did give me my money back the next day. Like someone posted above, I'm just letting you people know about my experience so it doesn't happen to you. And as far as it being a used zc, wtf does it matter? Do you think the 1st gen b16a engines are any better? They are both old. I've purchased like 4 ZCs in the past for swaps including my old hatch and the zc lasted me over 2yrs no probs and then I sold the car for my Si. Every one I bought ran great. And I always change all parts when I do swaps (plugs,wires,cap,rotor,oil,trans fluid,gaskets,etc..) So I am not an idiot. I am just very meticulous about these things and I was appauled at the engine and experience I got at hmo. Is that a bad thing, being meticulous about an engines condition and the swap?? I've just never had a situation where I wasn't allowed to go back, inspect the engines, and see which one I wanted. It's like he was trying to hide something and I didn't want to be shipped off with a bunk engine. And what's up with him not wanting to do anything about the coolant in the oil?? Very poor customer service to me...."It'll run fine, just put it in the car and call me if you have a problem then". Why, so you can say that it was my fault the engine is jacked up after we try to start it?? Don't think so.... that's why I didn't "settle for what I got" cause I would have gotten screwed out of $500. And because me and Steve didn't exactly hit it off, i'm sure he tried to screw me on purpose.
Do you blame me??

Edited by dross99_si (07/16/03 04:41 PM)

#33091 - 07/16/03 06:29 PM Re: I hate to do it but I gotta repost my hmotorsonline rant....
Team 4R Offline
Major Member

Loc: Diamond Bar, CA
would you mind running ylm's website by me again....? the address you listed above isn't working....... thanks

#33092 - 07/16/03 09:28 PM Re: I hate to do it but I gotta repost my hmotorsonline rant....
PercFreak Offline
Jr Poster

Loc: Michigan State University
Ditto what Team 4R said. I'm shopping and I'd like to see what they offer.

#33093 - 07/16/03 11:14 PM Re: I hate to do it but I gotta repost my hmotorsonline rant....
timnparts Offline
Poster

Loc: Madison Wi
Fuck Hmotors i feel for this guy i bought a jdm gsr swap and got a b16 distrubutor that didnt work and a b16 transmission that had a broken clutch plate and synchros in 3rd,4th and 5th. and he wouldnt do shit about it. That guy is a fucking idiot that needs his ass whooped. Nowadays we as customers demand good service or you will go to the next guy. For me paying for a gsr swap and getting half of one is bull shit. He is just trying to save someone else the problem. Gees.
#33094 - 07/16/03 11:20 PM Re: I hate to do it but I gotta repost my hmotorsonline rant....
ThinkTwice Offline
Jr Poster

http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=564864
#33095 - 07/16/03 11:38 PM Re: I hate to do it but I gotta repost my hmotorsonline rant....
The Deer Hunter_David Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Augusta, GA
Ok, hmotorsononline handles god knows how many orders every week. 99% of these orders arrive in perfect shape. Someone said something about the dist. being broken. If you look at hmotorsonline, they tell you what to change, and the dizzy cap and rotor is one of them. In my dealings with Steve, he was as nice and helpful as he could be, and my motor looked almost new when it arrived. The only part on it that looked bad was the alternator, but what can you expect for motors averaging 15 years old? When you buy a USED engine, you have to expect that there are going to be a few minor things wrong with it. As for the tranny, it was probably beaten to death, which would explain the broken synchros. You have to remember that if you order a type R engine, its out of a type R, which is a sports car. Its not designed to be an econobox, its designed to be on a track. Also, how are they going to test the synchros on a tranny sitting on a pallot?
#33096 - 07/16/03 11:51 PM Re: I hate to do it but I gotta repost my hmotorsonline rant....
dark green Offline
Bagarbilla
Post Master

Just for the record my friend ordred a USDM ITR engine from them a while back, and they told him they had it in stock. They ended up sending him a JDM engine instead. After my friend found out and asked them about it, they tried talking him into keeping the JDM by saying things like how it made more HP and is a better engine etc etc. After bitching for a while, they ended up shipping it back.

It wasn't as bad as an experience as it could have been, however it delayed the work to be done on his car by more than a Month.

Everyone has their good and bad experiences. Places like these need to realize that if they're over worked and are extremely busy, they should hire some additional help to provide people with good customer service. It doesn't matter if it's a Five dollar or a $5000 product, everyone deserves good customer service if they've come to you for business.

Sorry for your experience btw.

#33097 - 07/17/03 01:24 PM Re: I hate to do it but I gotta repost my hmotorsonline rant....
dross99_si Offline

I'm happy for you David that you got a good zc. Look, I'm not saying all their motors are whack. I just wanted to let others know about my experience.
In the above experience posted by another member it's pretty jacked up to sell someone a smoked trans and distrib (not even the right parts for the application) and not be willing to offer replacement parts. I know it's hard to tell if a trans is bad or not sitting on a palate, but what we do is spin the input shaft to see how it feels and stick a small swrewdriver through the hole where the linkage connects and go through the gears. (turn, then push & pull) You can kinda tell if the trans is gonna give you problems or if it feels notchy.
And please stop with the whole "you're buying a 15 yr old motor, it's gonna have minor probs" What kinda minor problems are you content with your motor having?? I am paying for a working engine. I don't know about you but I expect it to be in good working condition and complete with all parts needed. Engines with smoked distribs, blown head gaskets, spun bearings, etc.. are not acceptable and should not be sold. Every used "15yr old" engine I have bought ran just fine with NO "minor problems". They shouldn't have any problems or else you don't buy them. The "start up warranty" is total BS, they should start the engines themselves before they even think of selling them like other places do. If it's in working condition it should start with the original plugs, wires, distrib, cap, rotor. It might not run as smooth compared to when you change those parts, but it should start up and run. If it don't there's a real problem. Then try to tell me that the engine is blown because I didn't change cap, rotor, wires, etc...?? That's just a BS excuse for selling shit that's probably blown in the first place. Minor shit like that won't blow an engine, come on now. That's just his way of getting out of replacing something he sold that was broke in the first place. What's that? your b18c5 has a spun bearing? Well you put it in the car and it started right? Sorry it's your problem now. You probably forgot to change the distrib cap didn't you? Oh God, so fucking lame.......
I personally always put fresh gaskets, oil, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, etc... but on every engine I purchased those parts always appeared in good physical condition (I always replace them anyway though so I have nice, new, fresh shit in there.) And every engine I bought ran great. Like I said earlier, I've dealt with several engine places and have never had a worse experience. At YLM for example, Peter (one of the owners) goes with me to the yard and we inspect the engines togeather. If I see something I don't like ( which is very rare there) he apologizes and fixes it right away. No questions asked, no arguments. His engines come with more parts than you need, I got the whole harness, all kinds of complete hoses, a/c compressor, ps pump, mounts, it even had the damn fuel filter still attached. The engines aren't all hacked up, missing parts, and need to be assembled completely by taking parts off 50 other trashed ZCs to make 1 good one. That's horseshit!
Peter makes sure you are 100% satisfied before you leave, not trying to shue you out the door with broken down shit. He also tests the distribs/electronics before you leave and thoroughly double checks the engine again himself. He tells me several times before I leave, "if you have ANY problems in the future with the engine I will help you, no problem". These guys are straight from Japan and know their shit and know how to provide good customer service. Not some young, punk-ass loc (mexican gangster type) that is trying to make a quick buck and thinks his place is THE SHIT. If I had a engine place I would never sell someone a part that I knew didn't work or that I was too ignorant to thoroughly inspect before I shipped it off. And then not willing to help out when the customer finds out it doesn't work?
This is not proper business etiquitte my friends....
BTW I called YLM to see what's up with their website and they are in the process of updating it, so just give them a call 626-303-0877. They are very nice people, in general and in business practices..........

Edited by dross99_si (07/17/03 02:00 PM)

#33098 - 07/17/03 02:24 PM Re: I hate to do it but I gotta repost my hmotorsonline rant....
DjSaNdOz Offline
Jr Poster

Loc: Austin, TX
sorry for the bad experience bro- that sucks. I think that I ordered my ZC the day after this shit went down b/c Steve was telling me a very similar story. My ZC came in good condition, the dizzy was fubarred, but whatever- I already and a new one so it didn't matter to me. My motor pulls strong- I guess it's kinda luck of the draw. I understand your point about wanting good service & I feel that I got that- maybe ya'll's personalities clashed & it was downhill from there. At least you got it worked out.

#33099 - 07/17/03 03:08 PM Re: I hate to do it but I gotta repost my hmotorsonline rant....
dross99_si Offline

Yea it worked out in the end.....He just really insulted me and pissed me off with the crap he was trying to sell me.
Like I'm some jerkoff that don't know shit....
Ya know?

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Brake Kits Cheap
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brakes
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
Cruchfield
Audio/Video/Cameras
DeadWood Knives
Knives, Home & Hunting
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
TireRack
Tires/Wheels/Suspension
Truck Accessories
Tonneaus, Running Boards
1-800-Flowers
Flowers & Gift Baskets
WeatherTech
Coupon Code "take10"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
Artisan Soap Lab
Handcrafted Bodycare
Advertisement

| Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Pads & Rotors | Performance Brake Kits | Porsche Brake Upgrades-Big Brake Kits | WeatherTech Mats -Coupon Code weathertech10