Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#32832 - 06/19/03 10:28 PM CTR LSD in a stock b-series Si = UPDATE 3.0 finished!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
highR.P.M Offline
Jr Member

Loc: Florida U.S.A.
Quick noob questions: Can I swap the stock diff in my 2000 Si with a CTR LSD? Do I have to swap the final drive? Did search.

Same number tranny for tranny. Differences are 99 and 00 Si has a 4.266 FD while a couple web sources quote the FD on the CTR a 4.400.

Thoughts? Opinions?

See Aug 1st post

Edited by highR.P.M (08/01/03 11:47 AM)

Videos
#32833 - 06/19/03 10:50 PM Re: CTR LSD in a stock b-series Si tranny?
REDHCSI Offline
Poster

Loc: Augusta, GA
read this post

http://forums.clubsi.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB16&Number=2567159&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

#32834 - 06/19/03 11:04 PM Re: CTR LSD in a stock b-series Si tranny?
highR.P.M Offline
Jr Member

Reheheheheeeeaaly?

The math doesn't lie. Now we have that cleared up, I guess if the diffs are the same size my questions will be answered. Anyone? BEULER?

#32835 - 06/19/03 11:28 PM Re: CTR LSD in a stock b-series Si tranny?
Night Offline
Post Master

Loc: houston, TX
diffs are not the same. will need to do some trimming in your tranny, but it will go in. might outta consider the 4.785 FD while ur at it

#32836 - 06/20/03 12:23 AM Re: CTR LSD in a stock b-series Si tranny?
Civic Power Offline

Loc: Southern Cali
Si coupe/S4C transmission, you'll need to get the 4.40 final drive ring from a Type-R tranny..since the CTR LSD is larger in diameter than your stock Si's factory differential; which means the Type-R final drive ring is larger too, your Si ring is smaller diameter.

And you do not have the shave the tranny to make it fit the ctr uses the same housing as the si

#32837 - 06/20/03 12:34 AM Re: CTR LSD in a stock b-series Si tranny?
Night Offline
Post Master

Loc: houston, TX

ummm.... " the CTR LSD is larger in diameter than your stock Si's" --> "you do not have to shave the tranny to make it fit, the ctr uses the same housing as the si"

#32838 - 06/26/03 08:45 AM Re: CTR LSD in a stock b-series Si tranny?
highR.P.M Offline
Jr Member

Emailed 'Katman' @ JHP here is his response:

I have a civic si (00 model) and want to swap the stock diff. with a
> CTR LSD. My research I have done via the WWW concludes the FD ratios
> are the same on both transmissions. Is this going to be a direct swap?
> Have you had any experience with a swap like this? Are there any tips,
> advice or tricks you can lend me or any websites you can refer me to?
> Are the LSD's for all EK9s the same (I would imagine so, but correct
> me if I'm wrong)?

well, I have friend who's done many tranny dissassemblies/reassemblies with numerous LSD's and final drive changes. He's did up my tranny a couple times, so he's my point of reference and proof of what works. And yes a CTR LSD will drop right into your Si tranny. Simply remove the Si diff and place the CTR LSD in its place. Nothing more is needed. I don't know of any sites that show a "how to" on LSD swaps..sorry..

>
>
> I would like to utilize an LSD in my civic. My theory is I will wear
> the front tires more even. The right side tires are totally bald while
> my left are worn halfway. I cannot afford to buy tires so often
> therefore I have concluded that an LSD will help me in my dilemma.

heh...yep, tirewear should be more even w/an LSD for sure.

>
>
> I am trying to get around changing the FD for now. First reason: I
> don't have the cash right now. Second reason: I do ALOT of HIGHWAY
> driving (school is 60+ miles one way for me).

ah.. ths stock 4.40 final drive should be left in then. That FD is made to be used with 14-15" wheels anways. if you went 4.785 final drive, you'll lose some MPH if you stick with 15" wheels....thats why Honda sells the 98+ JDM ITR w/16" wheels....because of the final drive. The mathematics of wheel size and gear ratio go hand in hand....if you didnt know...

>
> Thanks for all your help. BTW, Love the Pac-Man game on the site!
> Bad-ass.

haha cool....later!

I think it should be a direct swap.

#32839 - 07/25/03 12:41 PM Re: CTR LSD in a stock b-series Si tranny?
highR.P.M Offline
Jr Member

Well look what came in the mail today

I am going to try it. I will give everyone the juicy details and clear any confusion once and for all. MUAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

#32840 - 07/25/03 01:17 PM Re: CTR LSD in a stock b-series Si tranny?
kengs Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: JDM Heaven
Cool! Keep us posted please

#32841 - 07/25/03 09:22 PM Re: CTR LSD in a stock b-series Si tranny?
SUPERMAN Offline
Poster

How much did you pay for that?

#32842 - 07/25/03 09:52 PM Re: CTR LSD in a stock b-series Si tranny?
Bjorn Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Minneapolis
good luck - keep us posted
#32843 - 07/26/03 06:52 AM Re: CTR LSD in a stock b-series Si tranny?
RZFD Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Fuck ya'll, I'm from Texas.
Quote:

Cool! Keep us posted please

#32844 - 07/27/03 08:59 AM Re: CTR LSD in a stock b-series Si tranny?
highR.P.M Offline
Jr Member

Tranny is coming out tommorow. I should have it in by tuesday.

#32845 - 07/27/03 10:14 AM Re: CTR LSD in a stock b-series Si tranny?
MadtownSi Offline

Loc: Madison,WI
Quote:

Tranny is coming out tommorow. I should have it in by tuesday.

Very nice!!! I can't wait see how everything turned out! Take a lot of pics!!

#32846 - 07/27/03 02:03 PM Re: CTR LSD in a stock b-series Si tranny?
Highrevs99 Offline

Loc: Moultrie,GA.USA
I just did this install last week and you will need the ring gear from a B18C trans. The inner diameter is smaller on you B16 trans and will not fit around diff. outer diameter is the same and there is no case grinding at all the needs to be done with the honda LSD only some aftermarket . Only other thing is the diff. bearing from CTR and ITR have a 19mm bearing and your B16 is a 18.5mm or 18mm I do forget exactly but you can press your B16 bearing off if that the case , sometimes you luck up and this has been done already . Oh and the ring gear blots are reversed thread , just incase you didnt already know that . This might help http://tech.hybridgarage.com/tech/lsd/index.html

Edited by Highrevs99 (07/27/03 09:29 PM)

#32847 - 07/27/03 02:16 PM Re: CTR LSD in a stock b-series Si tranny?
Beave0101 Offline
servant of egosgame

Loc: San Diego
Quote:

How much did you pay for that?

#32848 - 07/28/03 08:47 AM Re: CTR LSD in a stock b-series Si tranny?
highR.P.M Offline
Jr Member

What kind of diff did you install on what kind of tranny?

My research has concluded the OEM EK9 LSD for the JDM S4C will fit in the USDM S4C. It is the same casing, gearing, ect. Being I am practicing to be an engineer, from my standpoint there is no benefit in making two different inner-diameter ring gears for the same gear ratio on the same trans. family. Look here, and here, here too. This is just a few pages.

Measured the bearings: 80mm*40mm*18mm. If you or anyone else can explain why a team of engineers would design two ring gears differently but have the same ratio, please do because I would like to know.

It would cost twice as much money just to design it.

#32849 - 07/28/03 11:13 AM Re: CTR LSD in a stock b-series Si tranny?
highR.P.M Offline
Jr Member

Also, if you click this you will find the OEM LSD that fits a 99-00 Civic Si. This is the Civic Type R LSD.

I have spoken to a rep at modacar. He states and backs the other information I have found; the Civic R LSD is a direct swap into the 99/00 spec Civic Si. Feel free to contact them, the number is listed.

#32850 - 07/28/03 11:22 AM Re: CTR LSD in a stock b-series Si tranny?
Mikey_b Offline
Post Master Supreme

Quote:

Emailed 'Katman' @ JHP here is his response:

I have a civic si (00 model) and want to swap the stock diff. with a
> CTR LSD. My research I have done via the WWW concludes the FD ratios
> are the same on both transmissions. Is this going to be a direct swap?
> Have you had any experience with a swap like this? Are there any tips,
> advice or tricks you can lend me or any websites you can refer me to?
> Are the LSD's for all EK9s the same (I would imagine so, but correct
> me if I'm wrong)?

well, I have friend who's done many tranny dissassemblies/reassemblies with numerous LSD's and final drive changes. He's did up my tranny a couple times, so he's my point of reference and proof of what works. And yes a CTR LSD will drop right into your Si tranny. Simply remove the Si diff and place the CTR LSD in its place. Nothing more is needed. I don't know of any sites that show a "how to" on LSD swaps..sorry..

>
>
> I would like to utilize an LSD in my civic. My theory is I will wear
> the front tires more even. The right side tires are totally bald while
> my left are worn halfway. I cannot afford to buy tires so often
> therefore I have concluded that an LSD will help me in my dilemma.

heh...yep, tirewear should be more even w/an LSD for sure.

>
>
> I am trying to get around changing the FD for now. First reason: I
> don't have the cash right now. Second reason: I do ALOT of HIGHWAY
> driving (school is 60+ miles one way for me).

ah.. ths stock 4.40 final drive should be left in then. That FD is made to be used with 14-15" wheels anways. if you went 4.785 final drive, you'll lose some MPH if you stick with 15" wheels....thats why Honda sells the 98+ JDM ITR w/16" wheels....because of the final drive. The mathematics of wheel size and gear ratio go hand in hand....if you didnt know...

>
> Thanks for all your help. BTW, Love the Pac-Man game on the site!
> Bad-ass.

haha cool....later!

I think it should be a direct swap.

Jason is the man. Very little that guy has not done or seen.

#32852 - 07/28/03 01:28 PM Re: CTR LSD in a stock b-series Si tranny?
highR.P.M Offline
Jr Member

Quote:

still no word on what a used CTR LSD goes for?

Sorry. I bought it on eBay for $379 US to my door.

Not a bad price. I wish you guys could see this piece in person. It looks brand feaking new !

I cannot wait to take it to the skidpad tomorrow evening. I am so excited!

Well gotta go and get this thing in! I might take pictures.

#32853 - 07/28/03 01:54 PM Re: CTR LSD in a stock b-series Si tranny?
Mikey_b Offline
Post Master Supreme

Quote:

Quote:

Jason is the man. Very little that guy has not done or seen.

yea, he helped me out with my swap a few weeks ago...i'd still be going crazy with wiring if it wasn't for him.

He is a total OG when it comes to Hondas, B-series swaps, and JDM. After I finished this post, I went and looked back at old saved emails of Jason and I going back and forth. It's scary to look and see conversations concerning cool Spoon Sports parts or swapping B16B internals and see them dated 1998....back then no one had any idea it would get like this. It's totally insane now. Another Honda OG is Eric Bauer but I don't know what happened to him.

#32854 - 07/28/03 04:07 PM Re: CTR LSD in a stock b-series Si tranny?
Highrevs99 Offline

I did the exact install you are talking about , if you will look the 99-00 Si uses a different case . The ITR,CTR are the same cases . The bearings have probably been replaced to fit the Si case . Did you get this from japandy on ebay ? The gears do have the same outer diameter but inner is different because the LSD or any B18C trans have a bigger diff and bearings . Tell you what just take your trans apart and see if I am wrong . In my instance the B16 ring gear would not go around and it was from a EK9 and had been set up for B16 so bearing had already been done and the extra ring gear came with it . Oh and some came with taper bearing I just bought from ebay for $ 256.00 and it too was supppose to be from a EK9 and has taper bearings .

#32855 - 07/28/03 04:27 PM Re: CTR LSD in a stock b-series Si tranny?
drifter57 Offline
Jr Member

highrevs99,

i got the same ek9 ctr LSD from japandy, and had been doing research about the ring gear problem for some time before i venture to finishing the install. where were u able to find the b18c ring gear? i've been looking on HT and Csi for a USDM ITR ring gear to no avail. you know of anyone who's selling there's?

d57

#32857 - 07/28/03 06:42 PM Re: CTR LSD in a stock b-series Si tranny?
Highrevs99 Offline

The one I did was for a friend and his came with a extra ring gear from a ITR . Sorry , at this time I know any for sale .

#32858 - 07/28/03 07:01 PM Re: CTR LSD in a stock b-series Si tranny?
drifter57 Offline
Jr Member

yeah i checked the dealership, ~$180 for a final drive ring gear for the USDM ITR... kinda pricey, was hoping to get a used one from the ITR guys who swapped there's for the JDM 4.785 FD's...
#32860 - 07/28/03 11:27 PM Re: CTR LSD in a stock b-series Si tranny?
UxiSi Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Southern California
To me, it sounds like a good opportunity for an ATS FD, too. Course, if $180 is too $$$ then that probably dooms any idea for the ATS... maybe bling and just get JDM ITR 4.785?

"Democracies have ever been spectacles of turbulence and contention; have ever been found incompatible with personal security or the rights of property; and have in general been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their death." -- James Madison

#32861 - 07/29/03 02:29 PM Re: CTR LSD in a stock b-series Si tranny?
highR.P.M Offline
Jr Member

Quote:

I did the exact install you are talking about , if you will look the 99-00 Si uses a different case The ITR,CTR are the same cases

I will not argue with that. Similar design, prolly small differences.
Quote:

The bearings have probably been replaced to fit the Si case

Very possible.
Quote:

Did you get this from japandy on ebay ?

No, apexseal.
Quote:

The gears do have the same outer diameter but inner is different because the LSD or any B18C trans have a bigger diff and bearings .

The bearing have nothing to do with the size of the ring gear.
Quote:

Tell you what just take your trans apart and see if I am wrong .

We did, see my Aug 1st post.
Anyhoo, we found when we measured for clearances we needed some shims so I am still w/out a car. Shims should have come in today or perhaps tomorrow The transmission will be in shortly afterwards. I cannot WAIT!!!

Inside, the gears, syncros and everything else was tip-top. Really nothing else new to report other than the ring gear from a 00 spec Civic Si S4C Transmission does not fit an Honda OEM helical LSD. This should = no more contraversy.

I will update you all later. Until then, that is all.

Edited by highR.P.M (08/01/03 07:26 AM)

#32862 - 07/29/03 02:51 PM Re: CTR LSD in a stock b-series Si tranny?
kengs Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: JDM Heaven
Quote:

Inside, the gears, syncros and everything else was tip-top. Really nothing else new to report other than the ring gear from a 00 spec Civic Si S4C Transmission does fit an EK9 OEM helical LSD. This should = no more contraversy.

Hrmmm, i asked this question a long time ago and the consensus was that you do in fact need the FD from an ITR/CTR...where is Simple when u need him?

#32863 - 07/29/03 02:58 PM Re: CTR LSD in a stock b-series Si tranny?
highR.P.M Offline
Jr Member

Mine went together.

EDIT: Sorry guys. My mechanic thought his tranny guy was talking about my trans when he was really talking about another. It did not go together. See Aug. 1st

Edited by highR.P.M (08/01/03 07:29 AM)

#32864 - 08/01/03 07:52 AM Re: CTR LSD in a stock b-series Si tranny, UPDATE 3.0
highR.P.M Offline
Jr Member

UPDATE 3.0

When I posted the 99-00 Si ring gear fit on the LSD, the trans tech was discussing another trans w/ my mechanic. A little miscommunication, no big deal. I corrected my post, and apologize to highrevs99 and anyone else who deserves such.

So what it boiled down to was a new ring gear and bolts from Rick Starr Acura in Fort Pierce, Florida. 2000 spec Integra Type R was good enough for me. Part number: 41233-P80-V00, 66 teeth. Next day shipping via FedEx to get my car back on the road, priceless.

So the trans was put back in last night. My mechanic Elton Martin (PM me for a reference if you are local) did an awesome job.

I took it out this morning already. This car is FUN, FUN, FUN. I am going to the skidpad right now. I will prolly need a new clutch in a little while but ohh-well. If anyone could take a minute and check my bio, clutch recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if your Si is making a click sound on start-off, modding to an LSD could solve the problem. Mine used to click every time. I took a look at the old diff; when I moved the gears, I heard the sound. Did not click this morning. Search tech-support forum for more info on the problem

I am finished modding this thing for now. Maybe a JDM 98 spec 4-1 header with the heatshields, proper b-piping, cat, ect, is in my future.
Thanks to everyones input on this thread. Additional information/comments are welcome!

#32865 - 08/01/03 11:53 AM Re: CTR LSD in a stock b-series Si tranny, UPDATE 3.0
highR.P.M Offline
Jr Member

There were a bunch of satellite bch police at the skidpad so no fun was had (yet).

Sooo, I took a drive to Orlando instead. This is by far one of the best mods I have done. The car handles very, very good now. I can almost feel the torque transfer going around corners.

I do not know why honda didn't put an LSD in this model to begin with. It just seems so practical.

#32866 - 08/01/03 11:59 AM Re: CTR LSD in a stock b-series Si tranny, UPDATE 3.0
AzSi22 Offline
Major Member

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Quote:

I do not know why honda didn't put an LSD in this model to begin with. It just seems so practical.

Its because its not a Type-Aahhh.

#32867 - 08/01/03 12:59 PM Re: CTR LSD in a stock b-series Si tranny, UPDATE 3.0
highR.P.M Offline
Jr Member

Quote:

Its because its not a Type-Aahhh

LOL

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Runnin@Redline Jr, Dr. BrokenLimits, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads