Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#2856721 - 07/26/08 03:57 PM Discuss: 80's Turbododges
Moof Offline
Mounts the residents
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canadia
Inspired from my previous thread, and I've never done a discussion thread on the entire topic. I want to hear everybody's opinions on them!

I want good stories, bad stories, story stories.

Experiences, races, ownership, heartbreak, love, prostitution.... the usual.

Charger

Daytona/Laser

Shadow/Sundance/CSX

Lancer/ Lebaron GTS

Spirit/Acclaim

New yorker/5th Avenue

LeBaron GTC/ Maserati tC

Caravan/ Grand Caravan

Omni

Videos
#2856727 - 07/26/08 04:01 PM Re: Discuss: 80's Turbododges [Re: Moof]
NOHC Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Lebanon, Virginia
I crashed my sister-in-law's Charger.

#2856751 - 07/26/08 04:20 PM Re: Discuss: 80's Turbododges [Re: NOHC]
CommonGutterTrash Offline
This user is more useless than a half-baked compost pile.
Post Master Sr

Loc: Boston MA
I had no idea there was a TD new yorker.

and where the hell is the 600/reliant?!
1996 Galant

AIM = gclipse96

#2856754 - 07/26/08 04:22 PM Re: Discuss: 80's Turbododges [Re: NOHC]
orangegrey Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Bay Area
First car was an '86 GLHS. Rolled it three times.

The '89 CSX has been parked for years. Too many individial problems for me to tackle at once. No third gear, overboost problem, rough cosmetically, other miscellanious shit I've forgotten. Make me an offer.
"A racing car whose hood is adorned with great pipes, like serpents of explosive breath, a roaring car that seems to ride on grapeshot, is more beautiful than the Victory of Samothrace." - The First Futurist Manifesto (1909)

#2856764 - 07/26/08 04:28 PM Re: Discuss: 80's Turbododges [Re: orangegrey]
danl Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Maryland USA
When in high school a buddy of mine had a turbo daytona with 100,000 kilometers. He got it from his cousin who got it from Canada. It was given to him with a bad clutch, he repaired the clutch twice. We were going to a party once where we were to meet up with our girlfriends and the engine seized up. Needless to say neither of us got laid that night.
#2856772 - 07/26/08 04:31 PM Re: Discuss: 80's Turbododges [Re: danl]
SyFastfedful Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Portland, OR, USA
rumor has it that Honda fanboy extraordinare Spotch (Johnicus Vaughnicae) used to be obsessed with them, but these rumors are unconfirmed.

#2856779 - 07/26/08 04:42 PM Re: Discuss: 80's Turbododges [Re: CommonGutterTrash]
Moof Offline
Mounts the residents
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: g96nt
I had no idea there was a TD new yorker.

and where the hell is the 600/reliant?!

No turbo reliant.. but DAMMIT i forgot the 600. I 'guess' you could consider the 600 a Reliant convertible.

#2856780 - 07/26/08 04:42 PM Re: Discuss: 80's Turbododges [Re: SyFastfedful]
NOHC Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Lebanon, Virginia
 Originally Posted By: SyHopeful
rumor has it that Honda fanboy extraordinare Spotch (Johnicus Vaughnicae) used to be obsessed with them, but these rumors are unconfirmed.

It was also rumored for a time that he was, in fact, covered with a thick layer of dense carpet-like hair, not unlike jungle underbrush fed a potent mixture of Miracle Gro & race horse steroids.

That one turned out to be true.

#2856791 - 07/26/08 04:46 PM Re: Discuss: 80's Turbododges [Re: NOHC]
SyFastfedful Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Portland, OR, USA
 Originally Posted By: NOHC
 Originally Posted By: SyHopeful

It was also rumored for a time that he was, in fact, covered with a thick layer of dense carpet-like hair, not unlike jungle underbrush fed a potent mixture of Miracle Gro & race horse steroids.

That one turned out to be true.

I did hear that his hair had three distinct canopies, and that many undiscovered species live in those canopies.

#2856821 - 07/26/08 05:05 PM Re: Discuss: 80's Turbododges [Re: Moof]
scootergeek Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: East of St. Louis
 Originally Posted By: Moof

I'm guessing they mean motor dystopia rather than motor utopia.

My brother had a turbo 600 'vert that he replaced with a turbo Lebaron coupe that I borrowed a couple times. I thought it was fucking cool at the time.

cheers,
scott

#2856836 - 07/26/08 05:23 PM Re: Discuss: 80's Turbododges [Re: scootergeek]
neonmike22 Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Nashville, TN
My dad had an ugly rat of a shelby charger that he bought for $500. It was usually in some state of distune, as he probably spent 6 months limping it 3 miles to and from work with a holed piston. When he finally rebuilt it, he ported the heads manifolds and turbo, ran 12psi with a saab intercooler, and it ran a couple 14.1 @ 101s. It would have had more, but once we set the boost above 12psi, it would shoot the oil dipstick out of the block.

The couple times when i drove it, it was a riot. This was back in '01-02, so the average opponent ran 16s on a good night. I guess it wasn't really a sleeper so much as "that ugly car beat me".

#2856847 - 07/26/08 05:31 PM Re: Discuss: 80's Turbododges [Re: Moof]
UglyValiant Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Milwaukee, WI
The first car I drove regularly was a 1986 Chrysler LeBaron GTS turbo. 146hp, automatic transmission. I didn't get my license until 1990, but even then, the GTS was still on of the quicker cars in the HS parking lots. Looked pretty cool with the 15" pizza cutter wheels and 205 width tires. Never ran it in the 1/4, but was probably a high 16 second ride. Fastest we ever took it was 127 mph down a back country road.

For it's time, it had a very attractive interior (most at the time were hideous). Also, for digital display dash, it was very readable, day or night.

Lost one tranny on it...but it was a simple rebuilt. Did really well in stop-light drags provided you spooled up the turbo...then it'd smoke off the tires from a stop. Also did great on a roll if you caught first gear. By 92, cars were getting quicker.

This is very similar to my first PERSONAL car, a 1987 Shelby Daytona. TII engine, 175hp, 200 ft-lbs of torque, 5 speed manual.

The car pictured is a "C/S" version...no body work save for the spoiler, no A/C, lightweight everything. While my daytona wasn't too haevy, these were 200+lbs lighter...they were intended for SCCA racing.

First time at the track, went 15.7 @ 91 mph...kept getting faster and faster as I became a better driver...bone-stock best was 15.2 @ 92 mph. The original turbo went (bad bearing) and struck a deal with the dealer...they'd give me 50% off the typical replacement part, and perform all labor free. I found that the MoparPerformance turbo was cheaper and went with it...it had an upgraded A/R of .48 vs stock of .35. Plus, being a newer turbo with lighter impeller, it spooled up much quicker...so bigger turbo, less lag, much quicker.

I also upgraded the ECU that took me from ~12.5psi boost up to 16psi...which wasn't too hard for the larger turbo, keeping life easy on the intercooler. An aftermarket exhaust, upgraded intake, and later ported heads with larger valves dropped my times down to 14.2 @ 99 mph...what I liked about it was it drove great. Put in a killer stereo, good tires, shocks, etc and it was a cruiser...and got 30-32mpg on the hwy.

fwiw, the 84-86 still rank as some of the best looking cars ever made...especially for a FWD with it's distorted proportions. AND the 92-94 interiors (shared with the lebaron coupe/convertible are also among the cleanest nicest interior ever as well.

Ah, the 89 CSX...got one in the driveway, and took it for a spin last night. No mods and it's run a best of 14.8 @ 94 mph...it's a healthy bit lighter than the daytona was.

It's FINALLY getting restored this winter, since the HS I work at is looking for more projects to work on, and I've got a few extra bucks (along with my dad) to spend on getting it right.

at the time, it was a hard car to beat...it was very hyped in the MT/RT/etc mags for elevating the fwd performance scene. Did VERY respectable against the competition in SCCA. It placed 3rd iirc in a MT "Fastest American Car" contest behind only the Corvette (155) and Camaro (149), but ahead of the TA(144) and well ahead of the Mustang (137 or 142...can't recall) with a speed of 147mph...they reported the speedo read 5mph, lol, roll-over. Of course, there were other cars mixed in there...those are the ones I recall.

It startles me out on the street how much respect it gets...many of the hotter imports are leary of the thing as most all serious racers have encountered a quick shelby (usually omni here as there are no less than 3 11 second rides in the area, lol thank you russ jerome!). I reply it's bone stock, but none believe me.

In seveth grade (1986-1987), the Lebaron coupe was my dream car...I wanted one so bad. I recall a PM test with it against a Mercury Cougar and Monte Carlo...it out performed either in every test. The coupe's and convertibles styling were groundbreaking and created a huge stir...those hidden headlights created an aura of supreme style, luxury, and performance. The GTC's later came along and really helped it's performance image with the Tiv's.

Another great Turbo dodge is the chysler TC

Manual trans got a special 16V head (different than the later 16V heads) so performance was stout. Built off the Lebaron chasis, but with enhanced styling. Wasn't very popular, but I'd see one at the country club I caddied at on occasion.

There's lots more in the memory bank...I'll come back with more in a bit.
1989 Shelby CSX (#500/500)
The most powerful production minivan money can buy.

#2856854 - 07/26/08 05:37 PM Re: Discuss: 80's Turbododges [Re: neonmike22]
ScottStaypuff Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ohio
Don't forget:

(yes, not technically a turbododge...)

And the ultimate 80s turbododge:

Some guy posted this about the car, I can't guarantee the accuracy. 180 mph? Hrmm.

"This of course is the main charracters car the wraith. It is a Mopar M4S concept car. It uses a tube monochoc chassis with a kevlar body produced by PPG. The car is a pearl charcoal grey also provided by PPG. It uses a 2.2 turbo with a Cosworth head and Bosche turbos which sat behind the driver. In the one shot of the engine in the movie it has been disguised and looks nothing like the real engine. This very car was also used as the PPG Indy Pace Car. Requirments for a car to make it as an Indy Pace car, it must be able to maintain 100 mph to pace the feild and it must be able to accelerate to 180 to out run the cars and get into the pit lanes as the race restarts. IT must also have enough brakes to stop before the end of pit road as well."

#2856990 - 07/26/08 07:29 PM Re: Discuss: 80's Turbododges [Re: ScottStaypuff]
Z24 lol Offline
and Fuck you for the new name lol
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Lovely CONROE, TX! YEE-HA!
The conquest/starion had the worst turbo motors evar!
#2857324 - 07/26/08 10:26 PM Re: Discuss: 80's Turbododges [Re: Z24 lol]
NOT spotch... Offline
Post Master Supreme

They had the worst EVERYTHINGS evar, but aren't considered turbo dodges. If the right people saw this thread you wouldn't live out the night...

You had to pick the ugliest turbo shadow they made, didn't you...

Thrifty fo lyfe

My favorite one (was *this* close to buying centurion IIs for the neon when I first got it)

Although if I remember correctly you were better off with an 89+ TI shadow ES because the block/tranny were beefier than the shadows that shelby converted to TIIs in 87...

I'd still be perfectly happy with an 87.

I drove a 91? 'high torque' shadow ES once, had filter/intercooler/mbc and some ghetto ass 'tuning' and it still seemed to run more than strongly enough to be a lot of fun. I actually went to buy a turbo shadow, money in hand, but had to walk away because the owner failed to tell me that the entire underside was essentially rust flakes held together with dried saltwater before I actually drove hundreds of miles to check it out. Fucking asshole

#2857342 - 07/26/08 10:33 PM Re: Discuss: 80's Turbododges [Re: Z24 lol]
ScottStaypuff Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: HoustonRSX

Yes but they are damn sexy.

#2857430 - 07/26/08 11:09 PM Re: Discuss: 80's Turbododges [Re: ScottStaypuff]
CommonGutterTrash Offline
This user is more useless than a half-baked compost pile.
Post Master Sr

Loc: Boston MA
they didn't have the Worst MOTOR ever... they had the worst HEADS ever.
sakura ran 7's on a starion motor.

...just sayin'
1996 Galant

AIM = gclipse96

#2857682 - 07/27/08 01:41 AM Re: Discuss: 80's Turbododges [Re: UglyValiant]
ewraven Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Dept. of Ruminant Procurement
 Originally Posted By: UglyValiant

They have one of those just like that brand new at my friend's dealership. It has been kept out of the sun. The only problem is that it needs a new ECU, the factory one was swapped out with a bad one at some point. I'm sure it needs a new fuel tank and fuel pump also. I'd love to buy it. It even comes with the full factory warranty from the mid 1980's since it never has been titled. \:o

#2857731 - 07/27/08 03:20 AM Re: Discuss: 80's Turbododges [Re: ewraven]
NOT spotch... Offline
Post Master Supreme

Holy shit dude, that's insane. That's probably worth a fair amount of money to the right TD nut.
#2857769 - 07/27/08 04:35 AM Re: Discuss: 80's Turbododges [Re: ScottStaypuff]
sarge Offline
Sr Member

Loc: Okinawa, Japan
 Originally Posted By: ScottStaypuff
 Originally Posted By: HoustonRSX

Yes but they are damn sexy.

Yes, yes they are. I miss mine sometimes.

#2858017 - 07/27/08 10:44 AM Re: Discuss: 80's Turbododges [Re: sarge]
96lapis coupe Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: acquiring satellites.....
I had a few. 83 n/a shelby charger, 85 shelby charger, 85 laser xe, 86 laser, and still have a 90 daytona 2.5 t1 sitting out behind the shed. great little cars at the time. It's a shame I don't have time to toy with one anymore.
#2858556 - 07/27/08 04:24 PM Re: Discuss: 80's Turbododges [Re: 96lapis coupe]
Moof Offline
Mounts the residents
Post Master Supreme

Wow... by making the post I didn't even give my feedback.

It all started with a 1989 Shadow ES.

-2.5, Garrett T3 from an '88 Shelby, A520 manual transmission, Isuzu transport truck Intercooler, 2/5" TBE 14psi.

FUN. AS. HELL. The car was known city-wide, and people always laughed when they saw me in it. Alas, it blew the HG. Never fixed it, still boosted 14psi. the car was very forgiving. The white panels came from a '92 turbo Shadow.

I was moving and needed something bigger.
Cue, the '87 Daytona Pacifica.

-2.2 Garrett T3, Log-style intake, 2.5" TBE, 10psi

The thing had a power driver's seat, digital dash, and a 'dead-hooker' red interior. This also started my whole flippy-light fetish with cars. I purchased the '87 in 2005, it only had 60,000 miles on it. It met it's demise exactly 1 year later when my rad popped a hole on the highway and bled out. R=Traded it straight up for an Ipod.

1990 Lebaron VNT coupe. 1 of 132 made.

(the photo shows where this one is going)
-2.2 VNT turbo, 2.5" TBE, 12psi

Picked it up across the country, sight unseen, and tried to drive it back home. After 6 days of sourcing out a new axle, motor mount, and release bearing (Tranny was an A523 using non equal-lengths halfshafts from an N/A model), I was back on my way. Turbo pressure line ruptured on the highway, killing the engine. Sold it to a scrap yard, bussed home.

So after 2 failed attempts to relive my Shadow days, I gave up on TD's.

....at least I thought I have.

#2859118 - 07/27/08 09:45 PM Re: Discuss: 80's Turbododges [Re: Moof]
vwkaferman Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Mesa, AZ
There was a Turbo Dodge in the movie "The Wraith". Charlie Sheen was in it. Bitchin 80's movie. The car he or his spirit drove:

*Edit* I got treed on the fucking Wraith? DAMN IT! At least I OWN the movie, oh shit!

I had a secret love affair with the Spirit R/T (pulled from wiki: The R/T version came with a powerful 2.2 L dohc turbo III with cylinder head designed by Lotus. This engine was rated at 224 hp and 217tq.). I know they had problematic heads, could or would develop cracks in the head. But man, for the day, that car could haul some ass!

Of course you have to love the GLH-S's. Could be made fast as hell, Bolt on 13's pretty much.

Lastly, out of tribute to Gus Mahon. He had one of the, if not first mini-van in the 13's and I believe even faster. I think he had an aclaim that was into the 10's as well. RIP fella. Was riding a motorcycle and taken away from the turbo community back in 2002.

James

Edited by vwkaferman (07/27/08 09:56 PM)

#2859173 - 07/27/08 09:57 PM Re: Discuss: 80's Turbododges [Re: vwkaferman]
NOT spotch... Offline
Post Master Supreme

I remember emailing him with questions way back in the day \:\(

Really nice guy.

#2859337 - 07/27/08 10:57 PM Re: Discuss: 80's Turbododges [Re: vwkaferman]
ScottStaypuff Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: vwkaferman
There was a Turbo Dodge in the movie "The Wraith". Charlie Sheen was in it. Bitchin 80's movie. The car he or his spirit drove:

*Edit* I got treed on the fucking Wraith? DAMN IT! At least I OWN the movie, oh shit!

I probably treed you on owning it to. $5 bin at Wally World ftw.

#2859387 - 07/27/08 11:16 PM Re: Discuss: 80's Turbododges [Re: ScottStaypuff]
vwkaferman Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Mesa, AZ
 Originally Posted By: ScottStaypuff
 Originally Posted By: vwkaferman

I probably treed you on owning it to. $5 bin at Wally World ftw.

Haha, probably so. I wanted it so bad, I ordered it off of Amazon. Oh yes, I'm that much of a dork. The Wraith kicks ass damn it!

James

#2859409 - 07/27/08 11:24 PM Re: Discuss: 80's Turbododges [Re: ScottStaypuff]
NOT spotch... Offline
Post Master Supreme

lol! I got mine for 5 bucks too, although I'm not sure if it was Walmart or not.
#2859534 - 07/28/08 12:48 AM Re: Discuss: 80's Turbododges [Re: NOT spotch...]
ewraven Offline
Post Master Supreme

How long has it been since you got that movie? I looked on Amazon.com and it looks to be out of print right now.

I love The Wraith, I can't believe I hadn't thought of buying it on DVD until reading this thread.

#2859604 - 07/28/08 02:15 AM Re: Discuss: 80's Turbododges [Re: ewraven]
NOT spotch... Offline
Post Master Supreme

I think I got it 5~ years ago from a 'cheap ass out of print movies' bin. I'd be surprised if you couldn't find it used on amazon or ebay or something.

#2859616 - 07/28/08 02:37 AM Re: Discuss: 80's Turbododges [Re: NOT spotch...]
pumpkin escobar Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: 603
I downloaded it, lol rebel. ;\)

#2859645 - 07/28/08 03:24 AM Re: Discuss: 80's Turbododges [Re: NOT spotch...]
ewraven Offline
Post Master Supreme

Thanks for the info. I found it on Amazon.com for as low as seventeen dollars used. I'll just keep an eye out for it, I'm sure it will go back into production at some point.
#2859772 - 07/28/08 07:54 AM Re: Discuss: 80's Turbododges [Re: ewraven]
LNXGUY Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
My all time fav turbo Dodge video.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=I8R5BwUVYqc

#2859812 - 07/28/08 08:16 AM Re: Discuss: 80's Turbododges [Re: LNXGUY]
Moof Offline
Mounts the residents
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: LNXGUY

This is the very clip that made me buy my Shadow.

#2860442 - 07/28/08 12:16 PM Re: Discuss: 80's Turbododges [Re: LNXGUY]
pumpkin escobar Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: 603
 Originally Posted By: LNXGUY

I miss seeing that car at the track. Actually it seems all of the older TD's never show up anymore. There also used to a be a couple of quick Shadows that would turn up for test n tunes and the occasional sport compact day.

#2860900 - 07/28/08 02:19 PM Re: Discuss: 80's Turbododges [Re: pumpkin escobar]
Scargoes Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: High Dessert
My first Wraith video was on VHS. OMG, that was a long time ago. The M4S was actually build on a Fiero IMSA chassis.

My GLHS still sits in the side yard waiting for me to strip the Shelby goodies out of it and chop the shell up for scrap. I have wasted too much time and money on it. Will be sad to see it go to the scrap yard, but no one seems to want to buy it I'll eBay the Shelby parts and all the performance stuff I have for it. Then I can get back to restoring my MG and building my "7"

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  auxilary, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads