Page 64 of 148 « First<6263646566>Last »
Topic Options
#7217043 - 08/05/13 02:11 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: ]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Colorado
 Originally Posted By: BobBarker
 Originally Posted By: 2000SiRacer
I've got a whole backlog of updates, but for now here's a Strava map of one my two all-time favorite routes from Boulder last year (the other being Sanitas). I always knew it was gnarly but the numbers surprised even me. I was in Boulder yesterday afternoon and had a chance to run it again so I've got a renewed curiosity in the route.

http://www.strava.com/segments/green-mountain-via-amphitheater-saddle-843314

1.9mi Distance
23.0% Avg Grade
5,796ft Lowest Elev
8,134ft Highest Elev
2,338ft Elev Difference

Even in my best shape last summer I'd be hiking most of this and it'd take ~48 minutes. The Sage Canadays and Krupicka's of the world are in the 28:30-29:30 range. Unreal.

So this is more than Sanitas? I haven't been here yet...been taking it easy out around NCAR, myself. Sanitas is too much for my lardness.

Oh yeah, it's an extra 1,000' of climbing over Sanitas. You should give it a shot though. There are more mellow routes to the top, the Amphi-Saddle Rock-Greenman is the steepest, but if you take Gregory to Greenman(I think?) it's much more gentle. Green is especially nice on hot, sunny days because you trade the killer views and exposure of Sanitas for tree cover 98% of the way up.

And if you start climbing it regularly you'll find your lardness disappears somewhere along the way

#7217124 - 08/05/13 02:47 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: 2000SiRacer]
BobBarker
Unregistered

Yeah, I just started running a regular easy 3 mile route around Boulder Reservoir/Coot Lake. That's all I can do for now, but already seeing progress in ability.

With my luck, I'll break myself on one of those trails. However, I did run a bit the other day through Bear Canyon...I found I concentrated less on how tired I was and if there were tough inclines and was able to keep going better than normal with some obstacles to negotiate.

Also, I can definitely go without the view in exchange for shade/cool air. I see plenty of views these days. Maybe I'll give it a shot, or even just take the doggie out there to hike it.

Congrats on the race...that looks pretty extreme, lol.

#7217490 - 08/05/13 05:40 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: ]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
All I can say is that Ill be praying for you at Leadville. \:D

#7217538 - 08/05/13 06:12 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: ]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: BobBarker
Yeah, I just started running a regular easy 3 mile route around Boulder Reservoir/Coot Lake. That's all I can do for now, but already seeing progress in ability.

With my luck, I'll break myself on one of those trails. However, I did run a bit the other day through Bear Canyon...I found I concentrated less on how tired I was and if there were tough inclines and was able to keep going better than normal with some obstacles to negotiate.

Also, I can definitely go without the view in exchange for shade/cool air. I see plenty of views these days. Maybe I'll give it a shot, or even just take the doggie out there to hike it.

Congrats on the race...that looks pretty extreme, lol.

Give it a hike and see what you think. Congrats on running regularly dude! At my peakest of fitness I could run up Sanitas but I'd end up hiking a huge chunk of Green - so no shame in going out with the dog and hiking to the top. The view west is pretty cool but I think the view of Boulder is better from Sanitas. Have you hiked the Royal Arch trail yet? If so, that's a must see. Gorgeous!

Originally Posted By: Mrs. Ironmom

You said it dude

Right now my mindset is this: I'm not nearly as out of shape as a 7:36 50K sounds. Leadville is still a long shot but if there's any chance of a miracle happening I'm going to start it. The next two weeks are all about active recovery, sleep and nutrition. I did back to back 4+ hour runs last weekend and was encouraged by the results, especially after ~7 consecutive days of hour+ 1,500'+ runs leading up to that. I'm not where I want to be fitness wise but I'm not that bad off either.

That said, I've got two more races in 2013 that I've registered for and a third I'm probably going to do. If I'm really dying out there and it becomes clear Leadville just isn't in the cards this year, which I grant is real possibility, I'm comfortable with the idea of dropping out and looking forward to the rest of my season rather than running myself into the ground and potentially into another bone-headed injury. I'm especially interested in busting out of this rut and setting a new distance PR at JFK this November so I have other races to look forward to if this falls apart.

But with 355 lumens I figure I'll be able to blind the course into submission

#7217584 - 08/05/13 06:56 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: 2000SiRacer]
BobBarker
Unregistered

Thanks, and welcome to CO! I take it you're full-time resident, now? I haven't done Royal Arch, either...but will check it out. The Boulder trails are all a 10 mile drive away, so it's not always easy to just hop over there, although it's easy enough to do pretty regularly.
#7217712 - 08/05/13 08:23 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Denver, CO

my buddy is out there now trying to get acclimated for the leadville 100 mtb race. i think he is screwed lol

#7228641 - 08/12/13 12:46 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: nato2377]
Ampsman in Extremis Offline
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Loc: San Jose, Ca, USA
Love your race reports.
Keep up updated about leadville! Sounds like after your last couple race reports you are due to go out there and kill it like you are capable of.
I'm 5 weeks out from my 50 miler and am still nursing some IT band issues, i was able to get in 46 miles last week despite the issues and am hoping to get in 60 this week and 70 the next two before tapering.
I did a 5k on saturday for the first time in over a year.
I decided to run to the race, about 8 miles, because the rest of our day was packed and I knew I wouldnt have time to get any miles in later.
It was a small race and I thought I might have a chance of placing before I got there, but I could tell there was some fast guys in the group so that thought quickly faded.
I decided to line up at the front and just go for it though.
I took off with the 2 guys I knew were going to be fast and was hanging with them and could tell I was pushing hard but didnt seem to crazy...well after about a half mile I'm like oh shit this is feeling rough already, look at my watch and we are running 5:18 pace.
That didnt last to much longer for me.
I ended up getting passed by 2 guys and ended up 5th overall and came in at 19:01.
My best 5k by a minute so I am happy about that.

Paki: 3:36

#7228807 - 08/12/13 01:42 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Nice job!!!

I was able to squeeze in 32 miles in 3 days after my wife was out of town all week. 14 of those were yesterday and holy hell that run sucked! It was hot, windy, my MP3 player died 30 minutes in, and I was just hating life the whole time. Average was a pathetic 8:20 pace. \:\(

Of course, Im glad I did it, but still...

I suppose it was good practice for the sufferfest that will be my IM Tahoe run.

#7228887 - 08/12/13 02:08 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Edmonton
More often that not, my runs are becoming increasingly shitty like that. It's been humid here, so I'm soaked in no time. My wireless headphones died, so the wired ones always get caught up on me somehow.

Biking into the wind is my biggest PITA. I feel like I'm trying to hard and not moving at all.

#7236728 - 08/16/13 10:09 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Impulsive]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

6K trail run + 2000 stairs yesterday.

Old pics from fall:

It's been humid here all year, I've never sweated so much. Soaked head to toe.

#7237207 - 08/16/13 02:11 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Impulsive]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

You should come run the Quad Dipsea with Ampsman and I.

Something like 3000 steps over the course of 28 miles.

#7237240 - 08/16/13 02:28 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

I think I'd physically die with a marathon, trail run, stair combo.

#7237326 - 08/16/13 03:26 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Impulsive]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

For the week 50 miles on the bike(new record)
only 6 miles on feet, but I'm getting my pattern back up and trying to be gentle on my arches(plantar fascia problems if I ramp too fast)

ANd this weekend I have my first ever run with my dad. He was probably 100lbs overweight at his peak. Now he's probably barely "overweight" and sub 200. He says he can do 3 miles consistantly now(never been a runner at all, like I don't think I've ever heard of him running until last week), so we may go do an easy 3 of trails. SToked!

#7237570 - 08/16/13 05:50 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: ]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

That's awesome. Im doing a 1.2 mile swim, 40ish mile bike and 13.1 mile run with my dad and two brothers up at Tahoe next Sunday as a training day/test race for the IM next month. Training with family is one of the best things ever.

#7243651 - 08/20/13 01:27 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: The OC
HELL NO to stairs.

7 weeks until LB Half. Stepped up training to 20-25 miles a week. 5-6 miles every other day, followed by a longer 8-13 miler by end of week. Hoping I don't kill myself. \:D
89 Camaro - Sold
CSI. What's your diversion?

#7246278 - 08/21/13 02:13 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Design]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Did 2000si do leadville? That was awesome seeing Sharman win that while doing the grand slam! He showed up at my first 50k I did back in April and set the course record by like 40 minutes.
I'm off to the sports therapist today to get my IT band issues worked on. \:\(
I've taken the last 3 days off and have been stretching and foam rolling every day and it feels good but I dont really know until I am 2-3 miles into a run how it really is.

#7246604 - 08/21/13 04:55 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

I stalked him on the results page and it looks like he DNF'd pretty early on.

#7251071 - 08/23/13 10:45 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: The OC
Squeezed out 13 miles tonight. 24 for the week. So far so good...
89 Camaro - Sold
CSI. What's your diversion?

#7251416 - 08/24/13 12:04 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Design]
Corytrade Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: NorCal
Son of a bitch, I was going for my a 12 miler today (it was gonna be my furthest run to date), and I was feeling really good. Right around mile 4, the bubble guts started kicking in. I had to call the wife to come and pick me up or else I was gonna shit my pants. Fuck, I even did my pre run ritual. Sadly, this isn't the first time this has happened, lol.

I'm just gonna retry tomorrow or Monday.

#7251456 - 08/24/13 12:38 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Corytrade]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

I'm an expert at running and holding. Hate it so much.

#7251550 - 08/24/13 02:35 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

I stalked him on the results page and it looks like he DNF'd pretty early on.

Yep. I'm going to write up a report about it because I've got some pretty cool pictures, mostly from my friend Mark who was crewing, to share. I'll link that in here when it's done but here are the CN:

It became readily apparent very early on that the two months of missed training (5/12 through mid July) was just too much. I covered the first 24 miles a full ~27 minutes faster than last year but it was clear I was working too hard, too early. Shortly after Fish Hatchery my hamstrings tightened up and I hiked it in to Twin Lakes outbound (mile 40) to drop there. The important thing was not hurting myself again and I'm afraid pushing on to Winfield would've just been stubborn and dangerous to that goal. It was disappointing but an easy decision to make and not entirely surprising given the big block of no training at such a crucial point (although I really did believe I was going to be OK going in - it appears I have this ability to delude myself and go into events ill prepared with an abundance of self confidence haha. It's funny to watch because two weeks out I'll be nervous and realize I'm not ready but by race day I've slowly convinced myself that I'm golden. ). My buddy Jeff, who was also back for his second year, kicked ass and finished in 28:15 despite trashing his feet with blisters and hiking the last 30 miles.

I'm so sick and tired of having shit go wrong in races this year I'll be volunteering instead of running Run Rabbit Run on 9/15 and am not registering for UROC on 9/28 as planned. I'm seeing a PT here in town to correct some chronic issues (namely underdeveloped/weak butt and hamstrings, I'm very quad dominant) and my next scheduled race is JFK in three months. I've shifted my mindset from "run ALL the races" to picking a handful of events and really focusing on them. I hope to PR the 50 mile distance at JFK and the next big one after that is Leadville 2014. I've got high hopes for that as I'll be living and training at altitude for 12 months with insurance to cover PT appointments as needed.

Thanks for stalking me, Chris. I feel the love for real

#7253421 - 08/26/13 12:50 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: 2000SiRacer]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Uh oh, this is looking like a good idea....

Only doing 3 miles a week for July and 1/2 of August. 6 weeks to get ready...what could go wrong?
[img]http://www.flaglinetrailfest.com/bachelor-butte-trail-half/[/img]

#7253744 - 08/26/13 04:10 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: ]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Pretty stoked. Negative split by 4 minutes my 13.1 mile run on the IM Tahoe course after swimming 1.2 miles in a majorly rough lake with 3 foot wind chop, and riding 50 miles of the bike course. Managed an hour flat on the outbound and 56 minutes home. Oh, did I mention that was all with a good amount of forest fire smoke in the air?

The best part was then hopping in the car and driving 7 hours home.

Overall it was a great confidence booster for next month.

#7253864 - 08/26/13 05:02 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: RI
How fast was the bike split (and was it 56 miles)?

still have an EM1--go figure

#7253940 - 08/26/13 05:37 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: gamby]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

It was actually like 51 I think because part of the course is off limits till race day. I'll have to check my Garmin, but riding time was 3:05. Of course, we took it very easy so everyone could stay together and to try and salvage the legs for the run. It always sucks to see a nice solid 20mph average be reduced to 16 because of a monster hill. \:\(

#7259790 - 08/29/13 06:33 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
slackereg6 Offline

Loc: Hot Texas
Thinking about doing a local race in December but last year I did it and the course sucked. I have been very inconsistent almost all year and need something to push me to be more consistant.

#7261713 - 08/31/13 08:33 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: slackereg6]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

Hey you horn dogs, your favorite female Rory Bosio just crushed UTMB. New course record and 7th overall!

Tim Olson and Mike Foote also did well (4th and 5th) but I was pulling for Anton to have a strong race. Instead he DNF'd with hamstring issues \:\(

#7261845 - 08/31/13 11:11 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: 2000SiRacer]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Yeah, I was watching irunfars twitter feed all through the night. What an amazing performance!

#7265125 - 09/03/13 08:16 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

Yeah, I was watching irunfars twitter feed all through the night. What an amazing performance!

Seriously, she just obliterated the previous record. I'd love to see her start going after some "untouchable" Ann Trason records after a run like that!

and, as promised, a longer write up regarding Leadville (although it's mostly just pictures because those are way more fun)

http://clubsi.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Main/294598/Number/7265118#Post7265118

#7272514 - 09/06/13 03:15 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: 2000SiRacer]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

Is anyone following Wasatch Front today?? Final race of the grand slam and Clark started 69 minutes behind Sharman...but at mile 53 he was 20 minutes up with a steadily growing gap! Aaah! That would be an awesome comeback.

You can follow here:

http://results2013.wasatch100.com/Runner/Position

but be warned the site seems to go down periodically, perhaps while they're updating the lists. Talk Ultra is also doing some twitter updates and some discussion on facebook.

I guess Bryon is enjoying a European vacation or something because this is right in his backyard and iRunFar isn't doing any coverage. It's amazing how spoiled we all are by his hard work

#7275063 - 09/09/13 01:49 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: 2000SiRacer]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Welp, finished off my last full week of training for Ironman Tahoe. 2 week taper starts tomorrow.

This week I swam 2.5 miles, rode 140, and ran 35...about 13 hours in total. From here on out its short runs, lots of swimming, a few easy spins on the trainer and keeping the diet in check so I can lose another few pounds before the race. I'm already down to about 152...and have leaned out quite a bit, but I'd love to see 14X on the scale before the race.

Goals for this race are:

Swim somewhere in the 1:10 range. My wetsuit IM swim PR is 1:06, but I've been working through a shoulder injury that has kept me out of the water till just recently. Luckily my swims seem to indicate that a good fitness base is there. The new self seeded swim start (instead of the mass start) may make things less crowded, and faster from the start. Hopefully there is no wind or waves.

Bike is a big "who knows"...but I plan on taking it easy on anything other than the flats and downhills. I'm thinking somewhere in the 6:15-6:30 range for the 112 miles. If it takes longer...fuck it. I just want to have a good run.

After 3 Ironmans where my runs were all less than stellar and in the 4:40 range, I'd LOVE to see closer to 4 hours for this one. The course is beautiful, and the multiple out and back course means there will be lots and lots of people on the course to keep my mind off the pain.

If I have a great day I think I can be around 12 and a half hours.

#7276993 - 09/09/13 11:29 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Squeeked a 10+ in tonight. Felt good during, until it got dark. oops, forgot to check that. Felt beat to fuck after 3 miles of running in the dark, on trail. So many jarring strides.

Nowhere near ready for my 1/2, but that's probably my longest "long" run. I'll do some hills later in the week, and prepare my anus for the 1/2.

Still glad I'm doing the race though.

#7277933 - 09/10/13 12:25 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Welp, finished off my last full week of training for Ironman Tahoe. 2 week taper starts tomorrow.

This week I swam 2.5 miles, rode 140, and ran 35...about 13 hours in total. From here on out its short runs, lots of swimming, a few easy spins on the trainer and keeping the diet in check so I can lose another few pounds before the race. I'm already down to about 152...and have leaned out quite a bit, but I'd love to see 14X on the scale before the race.

Goals for this race are:

Swim somewhere in the 1:10 range. My wetsuit IM swim PR is 1:06, but I've been working through a shoulder injury that has kept me out of the water till just recently. Luckily my swims seem to indicate that a good fitness base is there. The new self seeded swim start (instead of the mass start) may make things less crowded, and faster from the start. Hopefully there is no wind or waves.

Bike is a big "who knows"...but I plan on taking it easy on anything other than the flats and downhills. I'm thinking somewhere in the 6:15-6:30 range for the 112 miles. If it takes longer...fuck it. I just want to have a good run.

After 3 Ironmans where my runs were all less than stellar and in the 4:40 range, I'd LOVE to see closer to 4 hours for this one. The course is beautiful, and the multiple out and back course means there will be lots and lots of people on the course to keep my mind off the pain.

you're gonna kick ass man! Is there live athlete tracking so I can stalk you?

I'm trying to mentally prepare for saturday.
I honestly dont know if I'm gonna run 4 miles or 50 miles, between the IT band and not feeling super confident about my fitness anything could happen.
Oh well, just gonna go out and enjoy what is supposed to be some beautiful weather in the marin headlands.

#7278039 - 09/10/13 01:06 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Measured it out with park maps, 11.5 Sweet!

Ugh I hurt a bit today. The last 2 miles were pretty much pitch black. A bit skethcy, lots of bouncing and shit.

#7278329 - 09/10/13 02:47 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: ampsman

Goals for this race are:

you're gonna kick ass man! Is there live athlete tracking so I can stalk you?

I'm trying to mentally prepare for saturday.
I honestly dont know if I'm gonna run 4 miles or 50 miles, between the IT band and not feeling super confident about my fitness anything could happen.
Oh well, just gonna go out and enjoy what is supposed to be some beautiful weather in the marin headlands.

Thanks man...I bet you'll kill it this weekend. Your body has probably enjoyed the rest and is ready to come out of the gate rarin to go.

Yeah, athlete tracking will be live here:
http://www.ironman.com/#axzz2eWT9TeVZ

My bib # is 1561. Both my brothers and my dad are racing as well, so feel free to pull them up by last name. This will be my little brother Keiths second triathlon ever, but he's a beast on the swim. I should be about 10 minutes behind him out of the water, and my other brother and dad should be right with me. Well spread out a bit on the bike though, depending on how everyone is feeling. Im hoping to secure first place in the family division for a second time. \:D

Page 64 of 148 « First<6263646566>Last »

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads