Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#2506159 - 04/03/08 07:28 PM Mazdaspeed6 Motor Swap
B15Sentra Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Bay Area, CA
My Speed6 threw a rod back in October and I have been fighting with Mazda ever since. As the legal bills climb, it makes more sense to fix the car. So, I did some research and I believe I can do it for less than $2.5k (labor included). The dealerships are known to charge more than $8k. Yes, there's a catch.

I found a mechanic in MO that really (REALLY) wants to get rid of a complete MS6 motor for $1500. He's willing to part it and I believe I can get the shortblock for ~$500-700 . The catch being that piston number 1 is scratched. Of course, this is okay because I *probably* have 3 good ones (I shut my car down immediately when it threw the rod). My motor has 11.9k on it while the used one is at about 30k. Questions for the mechanically inclined:

Is my Frankenstein setup possible? What are some possible shortcomings?

Is it likely that I'll have to replace to head also?

Should I offer less for the shortblock?

I've also had a mechanic quote me $800 for just a shortblock install (not including the above idea). Does this seem fair?

Any tips on shipping something like this from MO to FL? Seller wants me to arrange shipping.

Thanks for taking a look. Here's some pics of the motor I'm looking to purchase:

Videos
#2506167 - 04/03/08 07:31 PM Re: Mazdaspeed6 Motor Swap [Re: B15Sentra ]
interpol Offline
Post Master Jr

Loc: las vegas

#2506180 - 04/03/08 07:35 PM Re: Mazdaspeed6 Motor Swap [Re: B15Sentra ]
cacasesi Offline
Say my name!
Post Master Supreme

So you want to buy a blown motor to replace your blown motor?
#2506211 - 04/03/08 07:43 PM Re: Mazdaspeed6 Motor Swap [Re: B15Sentra ]
interpol Offline
Post Master Jr

ok just because i'm feeling generous and you're totally clueless, here's a bit of advice. pull the motor yourself, take the block to someone who knows how to rebuild engines and have them replace the fucked up piston. get motor back, slap it back in, and voila. i'd be surprised if that costs you more than a grand, plus who knows... you might actually learn something about cars. replacing a motor isn't hard, so sack up.

#2506226 - 04/03/08 07:45 PM Re: Mazdaspeed6 Motor Swap [Re: cacasesi]
NOHC Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Lebanon, Virginia
 Originally Posted By: cacasesi

Kinda like...."This aids I got sucks...I wish I had syphilis. Wanna trade?"

Get it fixed properly instead of trying to bandaid it. While slight, there's always the slight chance that the pistons/rods/etc aren't the same weight from motor to motor and you'd end up with a half-assed mismatched boat anchor that never ran right again.

#2506324 - 04/03/08 08:13 PM Re: Mazdaspeed6 Motor Swap [Re: NOHC]
RiceEater T/A Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Northern VA
So wtf is the dealerships reason for not warrentying the issue?

#2506345 - 04/03/08 08:20 PM Re: Mazdaspeed6 Motor Swap [Re: cacasesi]
B15Sentra Offline
Post Master Sr

A cracked piston isn't fatal - it's something that can be replaced.

#2506355 - 04/03/08 08:22 PM Re: Mazdaspeed6 Motor Swap [Re: interpol]
B15Sentra Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: interpol
ok just because i'm feeling generous and you're totally clueless, here's a bit of advice. pull the motor yourself, take the block to someone who knows how to rebuild engines and have them replace the fucked up piston. get motor back, slap it back in, and voila. i'd be surprised if that costs you more than a grand, plus who knows... you might actually learn something about cars. replacing a motor isn't hard, so sack up.

Not everyone has the time, tools and space to pull a motor.

#2506377 - 04/03/08 08:28 PM Re: Mazdaspeed6 Motor Swap [Re: NOHC]
B15Sentra Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: NOHC

Kinda like...."This aids I got sucks...I wish I had syphilis. Wanna trade?"

Get it fixed properly instead of trying to bandaid it. While slight, there's always the slight chance that the pistons/rods/etc aren't the same weight from motor to motor and you'd end up with a half-assed mismatched boat anchor that never ran right again.

It's unlikely that there will be a lot of weight variance as we're talking about two relatively identical and new motors. I don't really want to buy a new set of pistons/rods as the situation is already costly enough.

Edit: and thanks for actually adding some content.

Edited by B15Sentra (04/03/08 08:39 PM)

#2506381 - 04/03/08 08:29 PM Re: Mazdaspeed6 Motor Swap [Re: RiceEater T/A]
B15Sentra Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: RiceEater T/A
So wtf is the dealerships reason for not warrentying the issue?

Warranty was voided for DSM BOV and an aftermarket test pipe. Attorney costs make it not worth fighting anymore.

#2506412 - 04/03/08 08:38 PM Re: Mazdaspeed6 Motor Swap [Re: B15Sentra ]
Chris92Sc2 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: MI USA
If you do go this route at least you'll have another block to play with/beef up when time allows. I don't think its a bad idea but if your going through the hassle of arranging shipping I'd offer less.

#2506422 - 04/03/08 08:40 PM Re: Mazdaspeed6 Motor Swap [Re: B15Sentra ]
cacasesi Offline
Say my name!
Post Master Supreme

You probably don't have much of a case anyways. Modifying a car under warranty is a sure fire denial from any car maker. The test pipe could arguably raise the boost beyond the factory rated limit... claim denied. Sorry to hear about it.

Have you taken your engine apart yet to see what actually happened? By "threw a rod" are we talking the rod cap came off and the rod went through the oil pan? Or did it just start knocking?

So your plan would be to buy the motor from MO with a severely cracked piston, disassemble the rotating assembly, hone the damaged cylinder, and reassemble with one of your good pistons?

#2506426 - 04/03/08 08:43 PM Re: Mazdaspeed6 Motor Swap [Re: B15Sentra ]
skierd Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
Why not have your current motor rebuilt? Get someone with a Mazda Motorsports membership (or get one yourself) and get the parts at a discount, and have a shop rebuild the engine thats in the car.

#2506433 - 04/03/08 08:44 PM Re: Mazdaspeed6 Motor Swap [Re: Chris92Sc2]
B15Sentra Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: Chris92Sc2
If you do go this route at least you'll have another block to play with/beef up when time allows. I don't think its a bad idea but if your going through the hassle of arranging shipping I'd offer less.

Unfortunately, as I did enjoy driving this car, I will have to sell it for a few reasons. My priorities are changing fast and having a car to play with is falling. Also, I want to get out of this while incurring the smallest losses possible! I do, however, want it in par condition for when I sell it.

I think I will offer lower, especially if I am arranging shipping. I really don't know exactly how much something like this goes for as I don't modify cars extensively.

#2506439 - 04/03/08 08:45 PM Re: Mazdaspeed6 Motor Swap [Re: B15Sentra ]
interpol Offline
Post Master Jr

Originally Posted By: B15Sentra

or the know how

#2506448 - 04/03/08 08:49 PM Re: Mazdaspeed6 Motor Swap [Re: skierd]
B15Sentra Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: skierd
Why not have your current motor rebuilt? Get someone with a Mazda Motorsports membership (or get one yourself) and get the parts at a discount, and have a shop rebuild the engine thats in the car.

Why rebuild it when there's a hole in the block? I'm basically replacing the part that is messed up.

I've never heard of the Mazda Motorsports Membership - looks like it's for racing teams and requires approval from Mazda.

#2506451 - 04/03/08 08:51 PM Re: Mazdaspeed6 Motor Swap [Re: interpol]
B15Sentra Offline
Post Master Sr

or the know how

I've already said that. I'm sure I have the ability to read up on it and do it; but it's not something I know I can do right as I don't have any experience in the area.

#2506454 - 04/03/08 08:53 PM Re: Mazdaspeed6 Motor Swap [Re: B15Sentra ]
interpol Offline
Post Master Jr

well as long as you're realistic about it...

what about buying a bare block from mazda and swap the guts, replacing the rod and piston? that seems cheaper

#2506465 - 04/03/08 08:57 PM Re: Mazdaspeed6 Motor Swap [Re: B15Sentra ]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Edmonton
Seems sound to me. Talk to an engine builder. Shit, you could probably order new bearings, rings, a gasket kit and have a refresh done on this engine without any issues.

Sucks man, I know the pain. It cost me a lot of money to fix my FXT and it was never the same since reputable shops still aren't reputable. Guys could buy shit of them and praise it.

#2506487 - 04/03/08 09:05 PM Re: Mazdaspeed6 Motor Swap [Re: interpol]
B15Sentra Offline
Post Master Sr

well as long as you're realistic about it...

what about buying a bare block from mazda and swap the guts, replacing the rod and piston? that seems cheaper

If I were the greatest mechanic ever (you) and didn't have to pay for labor, that would be affordable. ;\)

Purchasing separately - the short block, pistons, rods, bearings, etc. come to about $2800 (after shipping). It's something I am considering if this all seems way out in left field (after I speak to some experienced mechanics - this is the step after "post on internet").

#2506982 - 04/03/08 11:52 PM Re: Mazdaspeed6 Motor Swap [Re: B15Sentra ]
Submission Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Houston, TX
Talk the guy down on the engine w/ the cracked piston. Take all of your bad parts to the machine shop and have them match it up. You should have them balance it, this will be in the $150-200 range and should be done any time internal components are exchanged. Take you will need a new set of rings and all rotating bearings just to be safe. as long as the cracked piston didn't crack a ring and scuff the bore you'll be ok.
I think it can be done for under $2k if all goes well.

#2507023 - 04/04/08 12:18 AM Re: Mazdaspeed6 Motor Swap [Re: Submission]
Benelliwang Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Vegas
Since you already took it to the dealer and have a record of a voided warranty, wouldn't it show up on carfax already? So that will make is harder to sell right? Even if it is fixed.... I say just sell it as is and move on.

Good luck

#2507026 - 04/04/08 12:19 AM Re: Mazdaspeed6 Motor Swap [Re: B15Sentra ]
skierd Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
 Originally Posted By: skierd

Why rebuild it when there's a hole in the block? I'm basically replacing the part that is messed up.

I've never heard of the Mazda Motorsports Membership - looks like it's for racing teams and requires approval from Mazda.

I didn't know you holed the block. Buying that engine, rebuilding it, and starting fresh is probably the best idea. Maybe with beefy aftermarket rods. Or see how much Mazdaspeed wants for the engines after joining the motorsports program.

The Motorsports program is for racers, including autocross. How long will it take you to get the engine back together? From the membership info page:
 Quote:
If you are building your car.

If your race car is currently under construction, the race results requirement will be temporarily waived if you can provide a copy of your racing club membership card (SCCA, NASA, etc.). You will be required to provide a completion date for the first race you plan to compete in. You will need to provide race results from your first event within 30 days after the competition.

http://www.mazdamotorsports.com/pages/membership.html

You've already voided the warranty, and you've already decided to fix it. What more can you lose by signing up for the program and getting the rebuild parts at reduced cost for the price of an SCCA membership and an autocross entry fee?

#2507207 - 04/04/08 02:08 AM Re: Mazdaspeed6 Motor Swap [Re: skierd]
interpol Offline
Post Master Jr

i have another suggestion... this one is from interpol's best-selling book titled "the art of scamming people"

step 1: swap in some shitty mazda6 n/a motor
step 2: sell car
step 3: profit
step 4: high fives all around

#2507441 - 04/04/08 07:36 AM Re: Mazdaspeed6 Motor Swap [Re: Benelliwang]
FCobra94 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: MD
 Originally Posted By: benelliwang
Since you already took it to the dealer and have a record of a voided warranty, wouldn't it show up on carfax already? So that will make is harder to sell right? Even if it is fixed.... I say just sell it as is and move on.

Good luck

Who cares? If he gets it up to "running" condition, just trade the damn thing in and move on

#2507572 - 04/04/08 08:44 AM Re: Mazdaspeed6 Motor Swap [Re: FCobra94]
Z24 lol Offline
and Fuck you for the new name lol
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Lovely CONROE, TX! YEE-HA!
No carfax wont show that. Carfax doesnt show half the shit wrong with cars.
#2507792 - 04/04/08 10:00 AM Re: Mazdaspeed6 Motor Swap [Re: FCobra94]
OnyxEros Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Seattle
 Originally Posted By: FCobra94
 Originally Posted By: benelliwang

Good luck

Who cares? If he gets it up to "running" condition, just trade the damn thing in and move on

sorry this is a dick move
I may be in the minority here but if you fuck up a car and just try to bandaid it to get rid of it that's some pussy stuff

Of course if you are going to fully disclose "rebuilt" motor then it's all good

#2508014 - 04/04/08 11:04 AM Re: Mazdaspeed6 Motor Swap [Re: OnyxEros]
DWalk Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: NV
sell the car to duder for a nickel and have him and Danny throw something nutty under the hood.
#2508088 - 04/04/08 11:24 AM Re: Mazdaspeed6 Motor Swap [Re: DWalk]
Driven Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Taiwan - Digital Nomading
 Originally Posted By: DWalkCCSN
sell the car to duder for a nickel and have him and Danny throw something nutty under the hood.

like a motor from a Sephia... that'd be hot.

#2508154 - 04/04/08 11:39 AM Re: Mazdaspeed6 Motor Swap [Re: Driven]
DWalk Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: NV
i learned to drive in a '96 kia sephia rs lol baller

i did e-brake stands on top of sunset station every weekend.

#2508420 - 04/04/08 12:37 PM Re: Mazdaspeed6 Motor Swap [Re: OnyxEros]
FCobra94 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: MD
 Originally Posted By: OnyxEros

I may be in the minority here but if you fuck up a car and just try to bandaid it to get rid of it that's some pussy stuff

How so? If he gets it back to the way it was before it cracked the piston using OEM parts and everything checks out, how is that any different from any other used car out there?

Is Impulsive a dick for trading a car in that didn't have a stock short block? Do you let dealerships know that, at one time or another, your car was NOT completely stock before handing over the keys? Or that you've taken it to the track a few times and blew the clutch, for instance?

Give me a break...I mean private party is one thing, but if a dealership gives you black book for what they will more than likely send through auction anyway, oh well.

#2508459 - 04/04/08 12:50 PM Re: Mazdaspeed6 Motor Swap [Re: FCobra94]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Edmonton
FWIW, mine had a stock OEM untouched Subaru longblock, it just wasn't the one that came with the car \:\) But yeah, you can never have full disclosure on car history since many of us hit the drag strip and have a mod or three. I was extremely honest when listing my car for sale though - likely to my detriment.

In a situation like this, if I was to fire sale the car, I would at least find a solid OEM replacement. That was part of the reason I went with an OEM, assembled longblock instead of swapping shortblocks or rebuilding. Less chance for error, poor work, misc. hours finding gremlins, blowing the engine again in a few more months etc.

Fuck me, it hurt the wallet though.

#2508460 - 04/04/08 12:50 PM Re: Mazdaspeed6 Motor Swap [Re: FCobra94]
OnyxEros Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Seattle
 Originally Posted By: FCobra94
 Originally Posted By: OnyxEros

How so? If he gets it back to the way it was before it cracked the piston using OEM parts and everything checks out, how is that any different from any other used car out there?

Is Impulsive a dick for trading a car in that didn't have a stock short block? Do you let dealerships know that, at one time or another, your car was NOT completely stock before handing over the keys? Or that you've taken it to the track a few times and blew the clutch, for instance?

Give me a break...I mean private party is one thing, but if a dealership gives you black book for what they will more than likely send through auction anyway, oh well.

Ive never done anything you describe above, and yes it's a bitch move to fuck up a car and throw some duct tape and a band-aid on it and try to pass it off as if nothing was ever wrong.

you fuck up, you deal with it, don't make your problems someone elses headache.

ps blowing a clutch and sending a rod through the block are 2 completely different things

Edited by OnyxEros (04/04/08 12:52 PM)

#2508695 - 04/04/08 01:53 PM Re: Mazdaspeed6 Motor Swap [Re: Z24 lol]
daisy Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Tacoma, WA
 Originally Posted By: HoustonRSX
Umm, Carfax shows trips to the dealership. Everytime I had my 6 in the shop, even for oil changes, it showed up on Carfax.

#2508724 - 04/04/08 02:00 PM Re: Mazdaspeed6 Motor Swap [Re: daisy]
Z24 lol Offline
and Fuck you for the new name lol
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Lovely CONROE, TX! YEE-HA!
 Originally Posted By: daisy
 Originally Posted By: HoustonRSX
Umm, Carfax shows trips to the dealership. Everytime I had my 6 in the shop, even for oil changes, it showed up on Carfax.

And carfax doesnt show when my celica was stolen, in 2 wrecks, had its engine replaced due to hydrolock and my spec-vs wreck even though they were all repaired at dealerships.

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  auxilary, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads